Jacques Martin new Habs head coach

huzer

Oh boy... The Sportnographe is going to have a field day with him.

"Les partisans sont englobés"... Simonaque, quossé ça veut dire?! C'est des fans, pas des M&M taboère!

Remember how in recent years the Panthers were boring but always giving us trouble because they had no quit? That's what we're about to get folks.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pesky is better then lazy. I definitely will feel the pain of a bunch of snoozers 1-0 games.

I guess if they win that's all that matters.

He'll have his work cut out for him getting these motivated to play in all 3 zones for 60 minutes.

Yep.

Martin, Gauthier & Savard are all initially from the Nordiques organization.

He was also the one who took over the Blues after Demers went to Detroit; and followed Pat Burns for Jack-Adams winner in 1999.

Interesting to see those links with the Nordiques and the Senators.

Martin worked with Timmins too.

I guess the hiring of ex-GM Martin just before the draft will help us at the draft. Also, might help us lure Bouwmeester July 1st?

Boring is often a by-product of reliable, minimal-error hockey. So I'm guessing all the fans who kept harping that "we didnt have a defensive system" will be happy... until the first loss of the season.

Melanson gone, Roy in? Melanson was too soft on Theo and Price. We need a goalie coach who can kick the little spoiled brats square in the ass.

Roy as a goalie coach would be interesting. (won't happen). He can certainly speak with authority and passion. Eg.. "When I say you never do the statue of liberty... I mean it!"

Other good news about this press conference is that there was almost no mention of Mario Tremblay. One reporter brought it up, but Bob kinda bypassed the question!

Boring is often a by-product of reliable, minimal-error hockey. So I'm guessing all the fans who kept harping that "we didnt have a defensive system" will be happy... until the first loss of the season.

Melanson gone, Roy in? Melanson was too soft on Theo and Price. We need a goalie coach who can kick the little spoiled brats square in the ass.

I am happy that they finally have a coach who will make his players accountable. This team will play D.

He has the rep for playing boring hockey, but from 2000-2004 the Sens finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 3rd and 1st in Goals scored.

The only smear on his resume was the fact that the Sens underachieved in the playoffs every year. And the biggest

concern watching all those battles against the Leafs was his inability to make adjustments to beat the Leafs. The same

thing happened EVERY year.

Outside of 2006, he has never had a goaltender with the potential of Carey Price though.

A lot of his playoff coaching resume may look different if he did not have Patrick Lalime in goal.

Edited by Wamsley01

As for goaltending coaches, David Marcoux recently became available as well. He was Kiprusoff's goaltending coach for a long time, and started in San Jose's organization.

Melanson will catch on somewhere.

A lot of his playoff coaching resume may look different if he did not have Patrick Lalime in goal.

Exactly what I was about to say. Had Martin had a decent goalie in the playoffs, things might have been different for the Hens!

I am happy that they finally have a coach who will make his players accountable. This team will play D.

He has the rep for playing boring hockey, but from 2000-2004 the Sens finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 3rd and 1st in Goals scored.

The only smear on his resume was the fact that the Sens underachieved in the playoffs every year. And the biggest

concern watching all those battles against the Leafs was his inability to make adjustments to beat the Leafs. The same

thing happened EVERY year.

Outside of 2006, he has never had a goaltender with the potential of Carey Price though.

Good points, Wamsley. I'm happy with this move, we finally have a coach with a decent track record in the NHL. It's weird, I don't remember hearing his name much or considering him as a candidate, but I can't think of a French-speaker more qualified.

Bob confirms Rollie's GONE........... :clap: And Martian's going to talk with the remaining coaches

Note to Price; forget everything you've been taught the last 2 years........... :lol:

particularly the last 6 months

Good points, Wamsley. I'm happy with this move, we finally have a coach with a decent track record in the NHL. It's weird, I don't remember hearing his name much or considering him as a candidate, but I can't think of a French-speaker more qualified.

I don't think he was on anyone's list, it is another of Bob's out of left field moves. wasn't it just 2 or 3 days ago, he said there would be no major announcements in the near future? Bob does it again catches us all standing there looking confused. Wat to go Bob. :lol:

A lot of the anxiety over Martin's 'boring style' seems to have forgotten the ancient adage - which, I believe, was *invented* by the Habs - that good D makes for more effective offence. The Habs of the 1970s were defence-first; the difference was that they had the raw offensive talent to also pump the net full of goals. It'll be interesting to see whether guys like Pleks, Higgins, and most of all the Kostitsyns, actually do better offensively under Martin. I wouldn't rule it out.

My problem with Martin's Senators is that they often turned in ridiculously robotic, unemotional performances in key playoff games against the Leafs. That may have been a product of youthful inexperience, but given Martin's nearly-comatose bench demeanour, it is tempting to explain those failures as a direct by-product of coaching style. Then again, he *did* take the Sens to within one goal of the Finals - and with a sieve in nets to boot.

Will Kovalev be able to play under Martin? That's a real question, and if not, hopefully he'll have the good grace to exit on July 1 rather than drag his heels through another sulky season.

The GM experience will also be a huge help to Gainey, offering him an outsider's perspective on his own team and on the draft. That's a very understated advantage of this hiring as gainey tries to decide key personnel decisions.

I'm optimistic about all of these moves. A Habs team with a strong work ethic and structure to their game? Hasn't been seen in RIDICULOUSLY long time.

BTH and Wamsley are both spot-on.

Martin is in *almost* every respect exactly what this team needs: experienced, bilingual, excellent with young players, and most of all highly effective at defensive systems. This is a TERRIFIC hiring from the standpoint of giving this team structure and (most importantly) insulating Carey Price.

He is the furthest thing from ideal in his track-record of playoff failure. I HATE that aspect of this hiring. We can only hope that he learned a thing or two in Ottawa about this.

Lemaire, meanwhile, would be a coup for the Habs. Tremblay - well, he's been through the wars and learned a lot on Lemaire's knee. I think we should realize that he was a raw rookie as coach in 1995 and never, ever should have been put in that situation (or accepted it). He will NOT be the same idiot we had back then. Give him a chance.

In the bigger picture, amateur hour is decidedly over when it comes to coaching in Montreal. Gainey is assembling a bench with vast amounts of experience and (if the rumour is true) bringing on board one of the best minds in all of hockey in Jacques Lemaire.

The only fly in the ointment is Martin's playoff record. Let's reserve judgement on that one point.

I really enjoy your posts Cucumber!

This news is unexpected and welcome. Lemaire as well... Oh boy! :clap:

I am anxious about Trembley (if true) but am willing to see what he has learned. What a great day for Habs fans if both Martin and Lemaire are coming to Habs-land.

I really wonder what Price's thoughts are about loosing his goalie coach?

Remains that I still feel like Houle and Tremblay raped me. I will never get over someone who raped me... ^_^

I understand your pain and share it to a degree. However, it was Reggie's reign of error that did in the Habs not Tremblay. Would we have had the dark years and would they have lasted so long or hurt so much if RH had taken his time and gotten a good return for Patrick Roy?

I am not enthused by Martin's hiring in the least, but unlike some people I believe that Bob knows more about hockey than I do. :wacko:

I really enjoy your posts Cucumber!

This news is unexpected and welcome. Lemaire as well... Oh boy! :clap:

I am anxious about Trembley (if true) but am willing to see what he has learned. What a great day for Habs fans if both Martin and Lemaire are coming to Habs-land.

I really wonder what Price's thoughts are about loosing his goalie coach?

Thanks! As for Price, I'm betting he celebrates. Probably by smoking a half-dozen cigarettes at once. :lol:

A bit surprised by the selection. At first I was like oh shite!!!!!!!!!....But now thinking it over a bit it is not that bad. He is a veteran coach that can win games and knows how to run a team. He should be good. It just matters what else Gainey does with the players to see if the team has any success on the ice.

Melanson was ok but it was about time to move on. Hopefully they get a good one to help Price become a premier goalie.

I'm hoping the Assistants stay the same since Muller and Jarvis are good coaches. I'm not sure if Don Lever should come back or if they should send him down to the AHL to run the Bulldogs.

A lot of the anxiety over Martin's 'boring style' seems to have forgotten the ancient adage - which, I believe, was *invented* by the Habs - that good D makes for more effective offence. The Habs of the 1970s were defence-first; the difference was that they had the raw offensive talent to also pump the net full of goals. It'll be interesting to see whether guys like Pleks, Higgins, and most of all the Kostitsyns, actually do better offensively under Martin. I wouldn't rule it out.

My problem with Martin's Senators is that they often turned in ridiculously robotic, unemotional performances in key playoff games against the Leafs. That may have been a product of youthful inexperience, but given Martin's nearly-comatose bench demeanour, it is tempting to explain those failures as a direct by-product of coaching style. Then again, he *did* take the Sens to within one goal of the Finals - and with a sieve in nets to boot.

Will Kovalev be able to play under Martin? That's a real question, and if not, hopefully he'll have the good grace to exit on July 1 rather than drag his heels through another sulky season.

The GM experience will also be a huge help to Gainey, offering him an outsider's perspective on his own team and on the draft. That's a very understated advantage of this hiring as gainey tries to decide key personnel decisions.

I'm optimistic about all of these moves. A Habs team with a strong work ethic and structure to their game? Hasn't been seen in RIDICULOUSLY long time.

I think the "Sieve" had a lot to do with their problems come playoff time.

The Sens outshot the Leafs in 20 of 24 playoff games played and put up 750 shots to 607

and won only 8 of the 24 games.

They are like the Flyers in that they could have won a Cup if they had addressed the issue

properly. Barrasso and Lalime were NOT the answer.

Edited by Wamsley01

By the way, Lalime's save percentage was not that bad in the playoffs (.926). His GAA was below 2 in three of his 4 years with Ottawa in the playoffs. The biggest issue Ottawa had was not goaltending, but the fact that they couldn't score in the playoffs. If fact, Lalime's sieve like performance was better then Price's performance this year. People seem to remember that brutal playoffs Lalime had against Toronto, but he did have a decent drive for Ottawa in his 4 years.

While Price has a lot of potential, until he delivers something in the playoffs, he hasn't proven to be the answer either. I sure hope he rebounds this year and starts living up to his potential, since it is clear that if he plays like crap, our GM will let the team sink with him. Will a new goaltending coach help? Maybe, it couldn't hurt. I suspect a little less partying and a little more drive to be the best might be the biggest factor in any turn around by Price.

By the way, Lalime's save percentage was not that bad in the playoffs (.926). His GAA was below 2 in three of his 4 years with Ottawa in the playoffs. The biggest issue Ottawa had was not goaltending, but the fact that they couldn't score in the playoffs. If fact, Lalime's sieve like performance was better then Price's performance this year. People seem to remember that brutal playoffs Lalime had against Toronto, but he did have a decent drive for Ottawa in his 4 years.

While Price has a lot of potential, until he delivers something in the playoffs, he hasn't proven to be the answer either. I sure hope he rebounds this year and starts living up to his potential, since it is clear that if he plays like crap, our GM will let the team sink with him. Will a new goaltending coach help? Maybe, it couldn't hurt. I suspect a little less partying and a little more drive to be the best might be the biggest factor in any turn around by Price.

Yawn.

Lalime in 2001-04 has so many parallels with Price in 2008 or 2009.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the news. My only real concern is the lack of playoff success, but I don't think you can hang Jacques on that fact alone. I think he will implement a good defensive system and put us in a position to win a lot of games. A lot will depend on what kind of team Bob will ice.

I'm really hoping for Robinson as an assistant.

I'm hoping the Assistants stay the same since Muller and Jarvis are good coaches. I'm not sure if Don Lever should come back or if they should send him down to the AHL to run the Bulldogs.

Gainey basically said "it's up to Martin" to decide who he wants with him behind the bench, which is understandable.

As for the lack of playoffs success, he's a few facts that might ease some worries:

Actually made the playoffs every year he was in Ottawa, except the 1st.

96-97 : 1st playoff appearance, lost in 7 games to heavily favored Buffalo (who had won the division, Hasek the Hart and Vezina)

97-98 : Upset the NJ Devils in Round 1 in 97-98, and lost to the eventual Eastern champions (Washington)

98-99 : Were without Yashin the entire season, lost agains to the East champions (Buffalo)

99-00 : Lost in 1st round vs Toronto, who had won the NE division that year and were favored

00-01 : Upset by Toronto in Round 1. Cujo stole the series, basically.

01-02 : Upset the favored Flyers in Round 1, push the favored Leafs to 7 games in Round

02-03 : Beat by the eventual Cup winners NJ Devils with 2 mins left to do in Game 7 of Conference Finals.

03-04 : Pushed the Leafs to 7 games (again).

And Martin had a winning record in 3 seasons with the Panthers.

I liked his reply when asked about being a defensive coach..... when we have the puck we're on offence and when we don't we're on defence (trying to get the puck) AND players (even stars talked about Crosby/Zetterberg) playing at BOTH ends of the ice

Some of our forwards better start working out over teh summer, cause their going to be expected to hepl out [more] in their own end!

Remember back in the Martin days, the Senators post game interviews were given while the players worked out? He made them ride the bike and condition after the game. It might have been the trainer doing that, but I don't see the Sens doing that since he left. I am happy to have a system and some insulation for Carey. It's funny that this is the exact term Wamsley used several times about Tim Thomas, and it is the term used in the press conference.