Jacques Martin new Habs head coach

huzer

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Francois Allaire is expected to replace Melanson as our goalie coach.

Like Brian pointed out : Allaire is a butterfly style man. Not sure it is the best for Carey.

Gainey making a major move before the team being sold is a surprise.

Gainey, Timmins, Gauthier, Martin, Lemaire etc are heavyweight management.

I would like to be impress by their decision this summer.

And it's a good start: New head coach before the draft, no more Melanson, no more part-

time Livingston.

Don't get me wrong i do not like Martin neither i do like Gainey but they have the chance

to do something good as a committee of hockey minds.

This move means NOTHING until we know what team Gainey puts together for Martin to coach.

This upcoming season will be dictated by what Bob does this offseason to put a great team on the ice, not who is behind the bench. Gainey needs to recreate this whole thing, via trades and signings. A couple small moves WILL NOT DO IT. There is no point of loving or hating this coach until we see what roster he has to work with.

Please, do not sign all our UFA's and ice the same team as last year... because NO COACH is going to win a cup with that.

Side note: Heard from a lousy friend that there may be a Halak + Prospect going to Edmonton for OSullivan?

Francois Allaire is expected to replace Melanson as our goalie coach.

My initial reaction is to hope that Allaire does not make Price into a Hiller/Giguere clone.

But that would totally ignore the fact that he and Roy worked on STRENGTH's. He is not going to take a naturally

gifted goaltender like Price and limit his mobility and ability for Hiller 2.0.

He is going to likely strip down his game and build it back up and try to hide his flaws. Roy was a great butterfly

goaltender, but what made him levels above Giguere was his athletcism. Price is large and athletic.

So if they hire Allaire, I will be a happy man!

No Optimism...I still got a foul taste in my mouth from the post season sweep. :puke:

I wanted Peter Laviolette or Bob Hartley...and get Jaques Martin. He couldn't even have me concentrate at summer hockey camp several summers ago...because thats how BORING his drills were. Good luck with getting this Canadiens squad to play 60 minutes hockey for 82 games. Poor Kovy and Tangs. This also means no JayBo, no Hossa. The only good news I heard today was that Carey price had a dozen cigarettes in his mouth...err i mean he will have a new goaltending coach for 09.10. ^_^

He is going to likely strip down his game and build it back up and try to hide his flaws. Roy was a great butterfly

goaltender, but what made him levels above Giguere was his athletcism. Price is large and athletic.

So if they hire Allaire, I will be a happy man!

Roy had intangibles: insanely competitive nature & an obsessed student of the game.

Price's demeanor reminds me of a guy like Belfour... with the built of Kolzig.

Roy had intangibles: insanely competitive nature & an obsessed student of the game.

Price's demeanor reminds me of a guy like Belfour... with the built of Kolzig.

I have heard that Giguere has an insane work ethic and also attacks the game from a mental

and technical standpoint, but his success did not come until he crossed paths with Allaire,

increased the size of his equipment and attacked the angles and played percentages.

His athleticism, footwork and mobility are nowhere near a Roy.

Price would be wasted doing a Hiller/Giguere impersonation.

Edited by Wamsley01

We were never getting Jay Bo anyway. C mon, we've got what, 11 million locked up in Markov and Hamrlik?? You can't have 17 million locked up in 3 defensemen, with a salary cap set to go down.

We were never getting Jay Bo anyway. C mon, we've got what, 11 million locked up in Markov and Hamrlik?? You can't have 17 million locked up in 3 defensemen, with a salary cap set to go down.

Well, the cap isn't going down this year, so 2010 is not an issue. The issue becomes

2011, Hamrlik is off the books after 2011.

Do you pass on a player who you would likely sign for 5-6 years because of one season?

If you sign Bouwmeester to 7M per and allow Komi to walk, you are essentially looking at the last 4 years

of the deal as an extra 1.5M over what they are paying Hamrlik. With 1 or 2 of Weber/Emelin/McDonagh/Fischer/Subban

likely ready by then, they will likely outperform their contract. With Gorges/O'Byrne also up by then it is not impossible.

So really you are looking at wanting to extend Markov in 2011 til he is 36-37 and paying Markov/J-BO 12-13M for 2 d-men and

hoping that 2-3 of Gorges/O'Byrne/Weber/Emelin/McDonagh/Fischer/Subban step up and then make a strong value add as a depth

guy.

Could they buy Hamrlik out? Could they deal the contract to a team who needs to hit the floor?

There are plenty of scenarios that could make it plausible.

But I doubt they land him.

Edited by Wamsley01

Well, the cap isn't going down this year, so 2010 is not an issue. The issue becomes

2011, Hamrlik is off the books after 2011.

Do you pass on a player who you would likely sign for 5-6 years because of one season?

If you sign Bouwmeester to 7M per and allow Komi to walk, you are essentially looking at the last 4 years

of the deal as an extra 1.5M over what they are paying Hamrlik. With 1 or 2 of Weber/Emelin/McDonagh/Fischer/Subban

likely ready by then, they will likely outperform their contract. With Gorges/O'Byrne also up by then it is not impossible.

So really you are looking at wanting to extend Markov in 2011 til he is 36-37 and paying Markov/J-BO 12-13M for 2 d-men and

hoping that 2-3 of Gorges/O'Byrne/Weber/Emelin/McDonagh/Fischer/Subban step up and then make a strong value add as a depth

guy.

Could they buy Hamrlik out? Could they deal the contract to a team who needs to hit the floor?

There are plenty of scenarios that could make it plausible.

But I doubt they land him.

Basically my point, I wouldn't pencil him in to anyone's dream starting lineup.

BY the way, There was no talk what so ever about Jacques Lemaire coming to Montreal. I think it's just a rumour.

Also, I heard Pierre McGuire say on the Team 990 last night that François Allaire has asked Ducks management if he could talk to 3 eastern conference teams. His contract with the Ducks ends July 1st and Allaire would like to come back east. Some of you might not like McGuire, but when he says something, it usually turns out that he was right. I just hope the Habs are in the mix. Allaire with Price would do wonders for Carey!

First I have heard about that

There was a documentary on Brodeur's career a few months ago (on NHL Network) and they metnioned Allaire.

Allaire was his goaltending coach when he started at NJ, and they said he didn't really help Brodeur

There was a documentary on Brodeur's career a few months ago (on NHL Network) and they metnioned Allaire.

Allaire was his goaltending coach when he started at NJ, and they said he didn't really help Brodeur

I think they are wrong cause when Allaire left Montreal, he went straight to Anaheim and has been there ever since!

Well, Jaques Martin, alright. Older, experienced, lots of wins, a GM and coach, bilingual, defensive system, discipline...lots of plusses there. Maybe pretty much what they were looking for.

Negatives, genraly p*ss-poor playoff performances with the Sens, as Wamsley pointed out, making adjustments. Dogmatic belief in sticking to his system, at all costs. Has p*ssed off players in the past, what coach hasn't?

But a nice babysitter for the babies, no?

I don't think I ever want to see Montreal, a team notorious for being hard to attract UFAs in the first place, start signing coaches on the basis that one or the other may or may not have a good relationship with an highly sought after UFA. It's a dangerous practise to build your team around players that aren't currently signed to your team. Bob obviously felt Martin was the right man for the job, and if that comes at the cost of of a couple of UFA possibilities then I am fine with it.

We're only hearing about the players we think won't sign here now because of Martin's signing. Has anyone done any research on who loved Martin as a coach and would jump at a chance to play for him again? Or are we still focusing solely on the negatives of this team?

Frankly, this team needed a coach that could tell these whiny babies what to do. They can hardly go crying to Gainey that the rookie coach doesn't know shit anymore, since he has so much experience.

By the way, his playoff success is higher then any coach we have had in years (unless you count Gainey). Ottawa had the same or worse record with the replacement coaches. :)

Frankly, this team needed a coach that could tell these whiny babies what to do. They can hardly go crying to Gainey that the rookie coach doesn't know shit anymore, since he has so much experience.

By the way, his playoff success is higher then any coach we have had in years (unless you count Gainey). Ottawa had the same or worse record with the replacement coaches. :)

Yeah...a lot of the pessimism and negativity seems to rest either on the knee-jerk reaction that 'everything Gainey/the Habs do sucks/is not as good as the old days' or else on the fact that Martin is boring as a MEDIA personality. In fact, when people keep trotting out the old chiché that Martin's teams are 'boring' in spite of their fairly high-scoring track-record, what they really mean is that HE is boring. And you know what? I couldn't give a flying piece of Mario Tremblay poop whether our coach is a total bore or a fun-loving freewheeling character who gives great press conference. I want a fundamentally sound and hard-working, winning hockey team. And I have yet to read *antyhing* that suggests Martin will not be able to deliver that. Good move, Gainey!

I think they are wrong cause when Allaire left Montreal, he went straight to Anaheim and has been there ever since!

Found this about Allaire

1) Undeniable Guru-ness. Through Roy, Allaire revolutionized goaltending. And in that new era, only one goaltender turns his back on the coach's methods altogether: Martin Brodeur. That's actually a good thing because it means the only person who doesn't need Allaire's help is the most talented goaltender of all-time. The way François thinks the position is uncanny and unmatched. The NHL still turns to his old ideas to increase scoring. At the end of the day, every Ducks goaltender since '96 has had the benefit of learning from the master.

Edited by rafikz

Yeah...a lot of the pessimism and negativity seems to rest either on the knee-jerk reaction that 'everything Gainey/the Habs do sucks/is not as good as the old days' or else on the fact that Martin is boring as a MEDIA personality. In fact, when people keep trotting out the old chiché that Martin's teams are 'boring' in spite of their fairly high-scoring track-record, what they really mean is that HE is boring. And you know what? I couldn't give a flying piece of Mario Tremblay poop whether our coach is a total bore or a fun-loving freewheeling character who gives great press conference. I want a fundamentally sound and hard-working, winning hockey team. And I have yet to read *antyhing* that suggests Martin will not be able to deliver that. Good move, Gainey!

Close the thread. I'm serious, Cucumber's post nails it. In the cycle of coaches, he's EXACTLY what this team needs after last seasons meltdown. With Martin's attention to detail on defence, look for Carey Price to have a dominant year as well.

Edited by Habsy

Close the thread. I'm serious, Cucumber's post nails it. In the cycle of coaches, he's EXACTLY what this team needs after last seasons meltdown. With Martin's attention to detail on defence, look for Carey Price to have a dominant year as well.

nah, we close it after your post. ^_^

Martin's Sens were an elite team ANYONE could dream of. Martin crafted them.

Hossa, Havlat, Alfie became what they are because Martin brought them to the next level.

We have had LOTS of dazzling talent slipping through our nets. Perez, Grabovski, the Kost bros.

Without a good TEACHER at the NHL LEVEL, those guys cannot make it to the next level.

Why is it that a guy who's said to be ahead of Jere Lehtinen at the same age [Chris Higgins] sucks asses the next season? That's because he's reached a plateau and there is NO ONE in the organisation who's able to help him take it to the next level. So instead of stalling there or improving, he just sinks by overdoing it (that's what seems to have happened with Komi too).

We needed a good teacher for our kids and we've arguably go the best available (while he wasn't availalbe) out there. All languages considered.

Lemaire is surely better, but unwilling to come here. Pat Burns is better, but cannot really coach again in NHL because of heatlh issues. Who else?