Bob's state of mind!

Bob's state of mind?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What is Bob's state of mind?

• Frazzled beyond belief. None of his preferred options have worked out (trades, etc.). Komisarek is reluctant to sign for fair value. He has alienated Koivu and Tanguay. His phone is ringing off the hook and he's FREAKING OUT!!!!!!
    • Nothing is working out and the odds are good he will exit UFA period with an AHL roster. Oh well, ya win some ya lose some.
    • Gravely concerned that he may have swung for the fences and struck out completely, but staying focused and working round the clock to make sure that at least some of his plans A/B/C/D come to fruition.
    • Concerned, but optimistic that something will come together, even if he's not too sure how and even though there is no evidence of this.
    • Concerned because Plan A has faltered, but confident that Plans B, C, and D are realistic possibilities.
    • Very confident. He's got aces up his sleeve (e.g., nudges and winks from the Sedins' agent).
    • Downright cheerful. He knows it's only a matter of time until Tampa caves, or until he bags some other elite players. He's got lots of excellent leads and is assured of success. Sleeping like a baby.

I'd make this a poll, but every time I try that I bomb out.

Bob has shown stones roughly the size of Jupiter by cooly allowing our UFAs to stew while pursuing other options (one of which is certainly Lecavalier) and/or waiting to make a charge for other UFAs. This may be the boldest gamble he's taken as a GM. Now, I find Gainey's demeanour and poker face to be most amusing, and thought it might be fun to speculate on what exactly his mental state is about now.

So, here's some options! Discuss, and if someone wants to make a poll, hey, I wouldn't mind.

^_^

Bob's state of mind as of June 29:

5. Concerned because Plan A has faltered, but confident that Plans B, C, and D are realistic possibilities.

6. Very confident. He's got aces up his sleeve (e.g., nudges and winks from the Sedins' agent).

For me, it lies somewhere between the 2. Yes, he hasn't re-signed his UFA's, but it's not like Hossa, the Sedins, Havlat, Gaborik, and company have either. There's a limited number of suitors for a decent crop of forwards (defence is another story, but I think everyone's realized Komisarek is all but gone). The first few to sign will get the big contracts, but then the market should come back to the teams. This is why I think there's some confidence here, as I get the hunch that he (and the other GM's for that matter) sense the same. The only downside to this is that the signings may not be coming for a week or so if that is the gameplan.

Also, per your request, I've turned it into a poll.

I voted : Concerned because Plan A has faltered, but confident that Plans B, C, and D are realistic possibilities.

But, I'd say it is between that and the 4th point : Concerned, but optimistic that something will come together, even if he's not too sure how and even though there is no evidence of this.

I'd say he has other plans than Lecavalier, but all of these plans can be screwed by a team with cap space like us.

Also, per your request, I've turned it into a poll.

Thanks...being a moron at these thing, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers! ;)

Makes for a verbose poll though. Oh well. :D

On a related note...has there been a ballsier strategy by a GM in recent memory? Gainey is basically prepared to gut the team on the chance that he can score a major talent upgrade. He could lose almost everything (Koivu, Komisarek - who is rumoured to go to BOSTON!!! :puke: :puke: :puke: - Tanguay, etc.) with God knows what incalculable consequences. Yet he seems to be cooly pursuing this crazily high-risk course. Off the top of my head I can't recall a comparably high-stakes gamble by a GM, certainly not by a Habs GM.

Those who see Bob as 'conservative' might want to think again...this man has cojones.

He has to gut the team. You have seen them play correct?

1 great year out of the last 15 or so.

It's time for a gutting, exorcism, or whatever else works.

Boston can't afford Komi unless thye give up Kessel for picks.

On a related note...has there been a ballsier strategy by a GM in recent memory? Gainey is basically prepared to gut the team on the chance that he can score a major talent upgrade. He could lose almost everything (Koivu, Komisarek - who is rumoured to go to BOSTON!!! :puke: :puke: :puke: - Tanguay, etc.) with God knows what incalculable consequences. Yet he seems to be cooly pursuing this crazily high-risk course. Off the top of my head I can't recall a comparably high-stakes gamble by a GM, certainly not by a Habs GM.

Those who see Bob as 'conservative' might want to think again...this man has cojones.

Just say NO Mike! Please not Boston...Go out west.

Cojones or dementia?

It is clear that he is moving the team in a new direction and I am happy about that. If he doesn't pull this off however he will look like the biggest idiot since Millbury. Imagine if we loose every UFA and are unable to sign anyone significant!

If that happens then we should just develop our talent and tank for a couple of seasons. Picking first overall will do us some good.

Boston?? are you guys nuts? They're already going to have to trade Kessel just to get under the cap, how in the world would they afford Komisarek at 5 million a year??

Boston?? are you guys nuts? They're already going to have to trade Kessel just to get under the cap, how in the world would they afford Komisarek at 5 million a year??

What is Tuukka Rask cap hit ? Looking at http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?tea...amp;season=0910, they have him at 0$, wich seems impossible and they have 3.2M$ there http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=BOS, wich seems impossible as well...

Bob should have signed his players earlier, secured them as assets, then he could play or deal them as he saw fit.

What is Tuukka Rask cap hit ? Looking at http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?tea...amp;season=0910, they have him at 0$, wich seems impossible and they have 3.2M$ there http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=BOS, wich seems impossible as well...

$3.2m is correct. He has more bonuses on his contract than Price does for some reason, despite being picked 17 picks after him. I think they'll sign Conklin as a stop gap. Well, we know that Conklin is going to Boston or Philly anyways. ^_^

$3.2m is correct. He has more bonuses on his contract than Price does for some reason, despite being picked 17 picks after him. I think they'll sign Conklin as a stop gap. Well, we know that Conklin is going to Boston or Philly anyways. ^_^

And there goes their chance of winning a Cup lol

I think Bob felt he had a trade done with Tampa and would announce it Friday night in Montreal which would have brought the house down. But once again it appears the deal fell through. I think this year he will be willing to overpay to get what he needs...the Sedins??

I wouldn't look at it as over paying, let's say they get the Sedins 6-7 mill each.

14 mill is basically Koivu, Kovalev and Lang's contracts off the books. The 2 Sedins are greater then those 3 players period.

They bring alot to the table.

Sign a good D man, that Brisbois, Dandy and ther Cube's contracts right there. Let's say Morris around 4 mill.

I don't look at it as over paying, i look at it as your getting better players to do the same jobs.

Yvon pednault in the Journal is talking about getting Brière... If that happens, I will go apesh*t !!!!! I don't that overpriced fragile midget who didn't want to come here in the first place. HELLS NO !!!!

But, with Bob, it's certainly possible. :wall:

He has to gut the team. You have seen them play correct?

1 great year out of the last 15 or so.

It's time for a gutting, exorcism, or whatever else works.

Boston can't afford Komi unless thye give up Kessel for picks.

I don't think he *has* to gut the team, actually. He could chalk last season up to injuries and coaching and go in with the same roster, more or less. Dollars to doughnuts the same bunch of players would come away in the top-5 in the Conference, especially given that they'll be hungrier, the young players will probably be better, the coaching will be superior, and the team will likely stay healthier.

What I think is going on is that Gainey has concluded that while these guys are reliably playoff calibre, they are not championship calibre. And rather than settle for constantly hitting singles, he is swinging for the fences.

That takes balls in my book.

As for Briere, A THOUSAND TIMES NO!!! Although I can see Gainey keeping it open as an option, which on its own terms may be sensible. He would, after all, be an upgrade on Koivu in pure hockey terms. If we can't sign any other UFAs, I can see Bob saying, 'what the heck - we've got the money, may as well spend it.'

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I don't think he *has* to gut the team, actually. He could chalk last season up to injuries and coaching and go in with the same roster, more or less. Dollars to doughnuts the same bunch of players would come away in the top-5 in the Conference, especially given that they'll be hungrier, the young players will probably be better, the coaching will be superior, and the team will likely stay healthier.

What I think is going on is that Gainey has concluded that while these guys are reliably playoff calibre, they are not championship calibre. And rather than settle for constantly hitting singles, he is swinging for the fences.

That takes balls in my book.

As for Briere, A THOUSAND TIMES NO!!! Although I can see Gainey keeping it open as an option, which on its own terms may be sensible. He would, after all, be an upgrade on Koivu in pure hockey terms. If we can't sign any other UFAs, I can see Bob saying, 'what the heck - we've got the money, may as well spend it.'

They sure improved from 2007-2008, looked really solid this year... Everybody bashed Lafleur for his comment but it looks more and more like he was right about our team being a bunch of 3rd liners.