Gomez in - Higgins out !

JoeLassister

Pretty much my views too. Desperation is the consensus.

On paper, we overpaid a lot just to get Gomez. If only we could at least have got something better than Pyatt as thrown-ins.

What starts to annoy me with Bob is the way he wastes assets. Higgins AND McDonagh AND Valentenko AND Janik (Begin) for Gomez and a couple of career minor-leaguers. Sorry to say, but it's a Houlesque trade.

Don't throw Janik in there, he was leaving as a UFA tomorrow anyways. Point taken even without him though...

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much my views too. Desperation is the consensus.

On paper, we overpaid a lot just to get Gomez. If only we could at least have got something better than Pyatt as thrown-ins.

What starts to annoy me with Bob is the way he wastes assets. Higgins AND McDonagh AND Valentenko AND Janik (Begin) for Gomez and a couple of career minor-leaguers. Sorry to say, but it's a Houlesque trade.

I was shocked when I saw the extras. This isn't like the NBA where you need to match salaries, so why

all the extra bodies?

Gomez was viewed as untradeable by many because of that cap number, yet somehow Sather talks

Gainey into tossing in a top prospect? Makes no sense to me.

Don't throw Janik in there, he was leaving as a UFA tomorrow anyways. Point taken even without him though...

He was thrown in the trade so I throw him in there. Gainey gave up Begin for that piece of crap (yet more assets wasting)

I was shocked when I saw the extras. This isn't like the NBA where you need to match salaries, so why

all the extra bodies?

Gomez was viewed as untradeable by many because of that cap number, yet somehow Sather talks

Gainey into tossing in a top prospect? Makes no sense to me.

Seems like a trade that should have included Hamrlik instead of McDonagh. Ah well.

Seems like a trade that should have included Hamrlik instead of McDonagh. Ah well.

I read the deal and read Ryan O'Byrne and thought, oh well, just the shitty contract.

I guess my mind read what I wanted it to. Then I realized it was McDonagh and I did a double take

and then I wasn't so happy anymore.

Edited by Wamsley01

some of the people on this board are nuts. we just had a disaster of a year. everyone screamed get rid of these bums. fire the coach fire the gm burn georges house down. Now bob was fed up with what he saw and he is CHANGING THE DIRECTION OF THIS TEAM. No we don't get to keep all the guys we love and have failed miserably. Life is tough. You don't get a 1st line centre for nothing and No I don't think we got fleeced. Gomez is better than Higgins McDo may not be ready for 4 to 5 years Defence man take longer. (look at Komi). We are not rebuilding but we are going to make changes and there are more to come. Quit whining and wait to see what comes next. Gomez is a great fit with kovy and kosty.

We will not suck again next year. Bob is improving this team.

He was thrown in the trade so I throw him in there. Gainey gave up Begin for that piece of crap (yet more assets wasting)

I don't think that is what you said when we acquired him. Hell all Bob did was a favor for a good loyal guy who was not going to be able to make this team anymore, now you think he wasted an asset God almighty give it a rest.

I don't like it. Even though we got a good name in Mike Busto, I don't like it at all. Maybe Gomez will have a career year, but that could be hoped of a lot of players. BG's perceived steely determination now looks more like weakness, Habs lost this trade, terrible timing, and let half the team walk for nothing, not to mention the blowout in the playoffs. So, here was a five-year plan that delivered a nightmare in the 100th. Welcome to the offseason.

- Small centre: check

- Expensive: check

- Doesn't speak French: check

That should be fun !!!! :clap:

BTW, I can see Stevie Wonders from my apartment as I'm typing, but man it's really noisy, and that crowd !!! :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Edited by rafikz

I remember when most of this board was gung-ho about some kid named Josef Balej, thinking he was the next offensive star. We traded him for Kovy and where is Balej now? At this point, I think I'll put more stock in what Gainey and Timmins think about McDonogh over a bunch of board posters. ;)

Here are the facts, as I see them:

1. Montreal desperately needed a centre, they went out and filled it with a hugely talented guy that'll fill that role for the visible future - and he's a massive upgrade over anything we currently had.

2. Montreal lost a potential headache in Higgins whose play had deteriorated (and many have agreed that he probably wouldn't hit that scoring potential some thought he might have) and who was going to command a much larger salary when he hit UFA next season.

3. Montreal sent McD who is very highly rated by members of this board and, apparently, by the Rags. Neither party has seen McD as much as have Gainey and Timmins, and therefore don't really know the upside the player has. Of course, the key is "potential." He won't be helping Montreal hit the playoffs this season.

4. Montreal just got a centre whose point production is right in line with that of Lecavalier - like it or not. Not only that, but he's put up those numbers without a Hart candidate St.Louis on his wing (Elias is good, but not that good).

5. (and perhaps most critical) Everyone seems to think that the Rags were up against the wall, and yes, to a degree they were. But the reality that EVERYONE and their dog is overlooking is that Montreal was in a FAR WORSE predicament. Who was going to be the number one centre here? Number two? We still don't have a number two, but at least we have a legit number one now. The entire league knew Montreal was up against it, knew that the likelihood of elite UFA's coming to Montreal was very slim, and knew that Gainey ABSOLUTELY HAD to do something. So, ask yourself this: whose back was more against the wall?

I'm not particularly happy with the trade, but the stark reality is that Montreal is better TODAY down the middle and that was the primary goal. Yes, we gave away a potential top-pairing defender, but how many around here were bitching about how we always seemed to be building towards the future? Well, stop bitching. Bob got you the present. It ALWAYS comes with the price.

I remember when most of this board was gung-ho about some kid named Josef Balej, thinking he was the next offensive star. We traded him for Kovy and where is Balej now? At this point, I think I'll put more stock in what Gainey and Timmins think about McDonogh over a bunch of board posters. ;)

1. Montreal desperately needed a centre, they went out and filled it with a hugely talented guy that'll fill that role for the visible future - and he's a massive upgrade over anything we currently had.

2. Montreal lost a potential headache in Higgins whose play had deteriorated (and many have agreed that he probably wouldn't hit that scoring potential some thought he might have) and who was going to command a much larger salary when he hit UFA next season.

3. Montreal sent McD who is very highly rated by members of this board and, apparently, by the Rags. Neither party has seen McD as much as have Gainey and Timmins, and therefore don't really know the upside the player has. Of course, the key is "potential." He won't be helping Montreal hit the playoffs this season.

4. Montreal just got a centre whose point production is right in line with that of Lecavalier - like it or not. Not only that, but he's put up those numbers without a Hart candidate St.Louis on his wing (Elias is good, but not that good).

5. (and perhaps most critical) Everyone seems to think that the Rags were up against the wall, and yes, to a degree they were. But the reality that EVERYONE and their dog is overlooking is that Montreal was in a FAR WORSE predicament. Who was going to be the number one centre here? Number two? We still don't have a number two, but at least we have a legit number one now. The entire league knew Montreal was up against it, knew that the likelihood of elite UFA's coming to Montreal was very slim, and knew that Gainey ABSOLUTELY HAD to do something. So, ask yourself this: whose back was more against the wall?

I'm not particularly happy with the trade, but the stark reality is that Montreal is better TODAY down the middle and that was the primary goal. Yes, we gave away a potential top-pairing defender, but how many around here were bitching about how we always seemed to be building towards the future? Well, stop bitching. Bob got you the present. It ALWAYS comes with the price.

excellent post Colin

I would have been happier with Koivu........and top pairing Defenceman don't grow on trees

when I first saw the news I thought that Dubinski was thrown in to account for the extra salary.....I am really sad right now

It all comes down to what Gainey does starting tomorrow. I could care less if he deals another

4-5 prospects if the moves are ones that move this team closer to the Stanley Cup.

But if he fills out the cap and kills their flexibility with second tier UFAs because that is all that is available

then I will be concerned. I am not concerned with next years record,

This deal cannot be viewed on it's own without seeing where it fits in the rebuild plan.

On it's own I am extremely skeptical, but as part of a larger plan? That remains to be seen.

Edited by Wamsley01

Incidentally, this isn't an EA Sports game. You actually have to give to get, in general.

Hehehe, I wonder, would this trade fly in HWL? Or be rejected?

It all comes down to what Gainey does starting tomorrow. I could care less if he deals another

4-5 prospects if the moves are ones that move this team closer to the Stanley Cup.

But if he fills out the cap and kills their flexibility with second tier UFAs because that is all that is available

then I will be concerned. I am not concerned with next years record,

This deal cannot be viewed on it's own without seeing where it fits in the rebuild plan.

On it's own I am extremely skeptical, but as part of a larger plan? That remains to be seen.

Depends who you consider second tier UFA. Gionta and Cole will be out there at 4 or 5 million. Knuble could be out there for around 3M.

Or we could spend a bit more money for Havlat, Tanguay or Cammalleri. Kovalev will be back, just about guaranteed.

Gainey's goal, I think, is to throw money at Gaborik, Hossa, Havlat and co. but I don't know if he'll have any luck. After that, I'd rather he brings in a guy like Gionta than no one at all.

I'm fairly convinced that the worst job in hockey is GM of the Habs. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Damned if you choose French, damned if you don't. The so-called knowledgeable fans dislike every move and cheer every move at differing points of the season. The first game Gomez shines, Bob's a God. The first tough game he has, Bob should be run out of town. You can't attract UFA's because the media is ridiculous, the fans are obscene, politics seem more important than sport, the weather and taxes are a bitch and schooling can potentially be an issue. What does Montreal have? A glowing history? Big whuppeedoo. Poor Bob, can't win for trying.

I wonder what the reactions would have been had Bob made the same trade for Vinny. Half would be praising him to the Gods and the other half would be pillorying him. Or maybe everyone would love him until they realized that Vinny was going to bring about the same point production as Koivu. Then they'd want Bob killed and Vinny neutered and run out of town.

LOL Can't win.

We have a better #1 C then we have had in years people. IN YEARS!

Give it a rest people. Gainey is going to fix this team up. I like the acquisition. If we are going to compete it'll be with skilled forwards. And yes he is expensive, but not as much as Vinny would have been and we would have lost a hell of alot more prospects.

We're better with Gomez as our #1 compared to any of our C's from last year. SO enough with this bashing Gainey stuff. HE is doing a fine job now. Keep improving the team Bob, I support you!

I must admit; I thought this was a bad April fools joke at first! Almost choked on my dinner :puke: ( as I read that Mc D was included in the trade) and thank God I have a 2-4 of corona handy ;) or else I would have been into the scotch to get over this trade. That would have been another loss if I finished my expensive scotch trying to forget this trade. :wall:

But thanks to all of you and the 11 pages :popcorn: of discussion, :clap: that I have read with much patient and a few bottles of icey cold corona on this extremely muggy day, I feel better... :king:

Maybe its the corona talking now but I finally am happy with this trade and feel really good about it! I have been waiting a long time for a #1 centre who can win a game for us with an end to end rush, put up points like a mad man and be the dependable star we so desperately needed. Gomez has proven that he can do this, albeit last season he choked, much like I did earlier this evening.

So Gomez better put his game face on and bring his A game, every time he hits the ICE as a HABS player, he better deliver. or else!

Yes, it cost us BIG TIME! in cash and a solid prospects, but we needed to spend cash for a centre and Mc D, has not proven anything yet. And will not for another 4 years minimum, if at all.

We needed a #1 centre today and we have one.

Bob has a lot of business still unattended; I just hope I don't need another 2-4 of corona or a bottle of scotch to make the next trade or signing go down easy.

and yes he sure as heck surprised me!

:ghg: :ghg: :ghg:

Go HABS Go!

Edited by Chips

Patience only works when you're patient. My gut feeling is that Gainey flinched, but like Wamsley and others said, let's see what the rest of the summer brings. I don't think anyone is discounting that hockey-wise Gomez makes us better, it's more about the price and the cost. In the end of the day, if Gomez is bait to bring other big fish into town, then a lot depends on what the catch is at the end of the day, and if there is enough firepower to parlay his creativity into production. Especially since on his own, he doesn't address any of the size/toughness/defensive game issues that were our undoing last year.

By the way I agree with those who think we will rebound this year, but mainly because the law of averages dictates that at least some of the young guys (Higgins would/could have been one of them) who have regressed last year will resume their form from the previous year and/or keep progressing. For example Plex still may turn out to be a perfectly legit #2, or even #1. Etc etc. Also, lowered expectations in contrast to last season may actually make us more palletable for some FAs, but I guess that remains to be seen.