Habs claim Jay Leach off re-entry waivers

JoeLassister

I saw Leach on re-entry and thought we might be the ones claiming him. When a guy goes on re-entry, you know he's getting claimed (as usually a team says they'll take the player if put on re-entry but is not interested in trading, and the team that has him just wants to get rid of him).

BTW, Henry on waivers just means he's finally healthy, as he needs to pass through waivers to go to Hamilton. He'll no longer count against the cap. The two moves aren't related.

We now are at the maximum 50 contracts, I do believe.

BTW, Henry on waivers just means he's finally healthy, as he needs to pass through waivers to go to Hamilton. He'll no longer count against the cap. The two moves aren't related.

We now are at the maximum 50 contracts, I do believe.

I wouldn't say they aren't unrelated - Leach's cap hit is less than the league minimum at $487,500 - half being $243,750. Henry's adjusted AHL cap hit was roughly $203,000 - I see this simply as adding a healthy player to the roster for the ripe old sum of about $40,000.

And yes, the Habs are now at the contract max of 50.

I thought Leach had played more in the NHL than he has.... must have confused him with someone else. I don't like wasting that spot on a definite minor leaguer, no matter how cheap the deal is for.

I thought Leach had played more in the NHL than he has.... must have confused him with someone else. I don't like wasting that spot on a definite minor leaguer, no matter how cheap the deal is for.

If nothing else, there shouldn't be any reservations about waiving him when people come back. I think this was their way of picking up a 7th d-man to give a player a night off every so often, we can't just carry 6 at all times.

Ran the numbers to see what his cap hit will be...

Daily salary: $2,525.91

Days elapsed before recall: 36

Total forgone salary: $90,932.64

Remaining salary: $396,567.36

Half of remaining: $198,283.68 (Montreal and New Jersey each pay this)

If nothing else, there shouldn't be any reservations about waiving him when people come back. I think this was their way of picking up a 7th d-man to give a player a night off every so often, we can't just carry 6 at all times.

True enough. I did notice last night that Bergeron got benched for the last part of the game while Carle still got some shifts.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20092010/TV020209.HTM

As you can see, Carle got 3 shifts in regulation after Bergeron's final shift with 8 minutes to go. He also had two shifts in OT, though one was only 3 seconds.

If Leach's presence can light a fire under Bergeron and Carle then I guess there's some benefit. And maybe with him being so cheap another team will claim Leach when we waive him if/when our blueline gets relatively healthy (Gill and O'Byrne come back), so we'll be back at 49 bodies again.

I don't see how Gainey had a choice here. Markov, O'Byrne, Gill, and now Spacek. That's 4 vets to replace. Bergy is a liability back there. I could see him playing 8 minutes a game. So what do you do? Skate 4 rookies from the Bulldogs?

jeez... when I first saw on H I/O: "Habs claim D Leach", I misread and thought that somehow BG had convinced Brian Leetch to come out of retirement to help out the squad. I think reality is probably better...

I don't see how Gainey had a choice here. Markov, O'Byrne, Gill, and now Spacek. That's 4 vets to replace. Bergy is a liability back there. I could see him playing 8 minutes a game. So what do you do? Skate 4 rookies from the Bulldogs?

Spacek is hurt ? i know he took a hit to the head, came back later

but what about him, if so yeah Leach makes sense being cheap chip.

Maybe he'll make a Metropolit of himself...

Spacek did practice today but who knows what kind of shape he is in.

I for 1 am scared can not believe they already have 3 of the top 7 out.

Leach.. eh? sounds like another famous defenseman that is about to be inducted in the HOF. Now I'm not going to imagine that kind of greatness from this latest move of BG. But some dreams can come true.. if he turns into a Gorges.. I'd be very happy.

He does have size and hopefully moves better than Gill, his +/- is very good, although that was in the AHL. Lets see how the lad does in his new HABS colours!

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

And will play tonight...

Defence: Hamrlik-Spacek; Mara-Gorges; Leach-Bergeron

Halak gets the start in net. Jay Leach gets his first start in a Canadiens uniform – the 1910-11 maple leaf-crested throwback. Leach hopes to be "a non-factor," by which he means he wants to fit in seamlessly, not be conspicuous in the wrong way.

Defenceman Mathieu Carle takes a seat, as do F Kyle Chipchura and Gregory Stewart.

Habs I/O

Once again ... Gainey always goes for the girls nobody else wants to dance with at the party.

I wonder why

Gill, spacek,mara, leach,

Been quite happy with Mara this season and Gill, until the injury, played better than I expected.