Dallas vs Habs

JoeLassister

What's with the refs all of a sudden??

Still think there's no bias as far as the refs are concerned? How about the non-call on the *blatant* trip right in front of the referee just before we scored on the power play. They obviously didn't want to put Dallas 2 men down. But they didn't have any problem at all with putting us 2 men down, and if it weren't for the idiocy by Ott, that's just what would have happened. (Another blatant non-call was the trip by Turco on Gionta. He did not hit the puck; he tripped Gionta - doesn't matter if it was accidental, and he took away a good scoring chance.

I think the owner has to do something about this. Obviously the gm or coach would be fined if they complained, but the owner must have some kind of power to address this problem to the league. This year is the most blatant I've seen this bias - game in and game out. Somebody here has already mentioned - it's not that we don't deserve a lot of the penalties were getting. It's that the opposition is getting away with bloody murder and there's often no call.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good game in the end for the habs. Big showdown with Ottawa on Saturday.

Go Habs Go!!!

that was brutal.. soft goal.. play the damn shooter!

Soft goal, like the one Halak gave Saturday. Obviously, the shooter fooled him by never looking at him. Fortunately, he was better afterwards.

Nice goal by Pouliot.. not good on Dallas, that was brutal play, but Pouliot finished the free pass rather nicely.. liking that boy!

You have to have talent to score a goal like this one. Big Ben has great hands.

Ummm, as is said, Halak is NOT my favourite goalie. Based on his CURRENT play, IMO, he is our best option for a victory.

Price has been erratic and letting in weird goals at inoppertune times.

Our goalies are definitely not a problem. If you look at the stats, both of them could have a much better record if they had had some support from the offense. We're not much different from the other teams: we need at least three goals to win regularly. If you look at the stats, even great goalies like Brodeur, Luongo and Miller don't win many game when their team don't score at least three goals.

Edited by JCPetit

Still think there's no bias as far as the refs are concerned? How about the non-call on the *blatant* trip right in front of the referee just before we scored on the power play. They obviously didn't want to put Dallas 2 men down. But they didn't have any problem at all with putting us 2 men down, and if it weren't for the idiocy by Ott, that's just what would have happened. (Another blatant non-call was the trip by Turco on Gionta. He did not hit the puck; he tripped Gionta - doesn't matter if it was accidental, and he took away a good scoring chance.

I think the owner has to do something about this. Obviously the gm or coach would be fined if they complained, but the owner must have some kind of power to address this problem to the league. This year is the most blatant I've seen this bias - game in and game out. Somebody here has already mentioned - it's not that we don't deserve a lot of the penalties were getting. It's that the opposition is getting away with bloody murder and there's often no call.

I couldn't have said it better myself.. I watch every single game and it's the crap from the refs every game.

I still want to know where this so-called bias was in previous years. There is no history of bias against the team in recent seasons. Why, all of a sudden, would a significant bias against the Canadiens pop up? Did the refs all get together and decide this year the Canadiens would be the team to pick on?

Edited by Fanpuck33

What a weird game. So many giveaways. 2 softies by Price. That 1st one was tricky though. He didn't look until after he shot. His head was turned quite sharp to the left. The second he was way too deep in his net, but all he could see was number 14. Anyway. Price looked rusty. He scares me sometimes. How good is benny P? I love the way he plays. Gio with a couple. Nice to see Cammy get on the board. This team needs to stop giving the puck away. Get possession. protect the puck. take a look make the safe pass and support the puck carrier with speed. isn't that the martin system? we sure didn't play it today. too many fast long passes. Hey a win is a win. now can we please beat a contender this year?

I still want to know where this so-called bias was in previous years. There is no history of bias against the team in recent seasons. Why, all of a sudden, would a significant bias against the Canadiens pop up? Did the refs all get together and decide this year the Canadiens would be the team to pick on?

I've noticed a bias since the beginning of me watching Montreal. Then again, I'm biased myself just for being a habs fan.

but carbonneau complained about the same things didnt he?

i dont think the bisa is with the habs..i think its bigger then that..i think the nhl what south team and us base teams that are not getting the fans they need, to win games and make money..there alot of jobs and money on the line if the us teams dont make it..i think only a few ref are in deep with the nhl..i think that makes some ref think there untouchable and can do what they what...

Well it wasn't pretty but it was a win. The funny thing is win or lose people still have to complain about Price. Both Goalies are the top 18 in save %. # 6 as pair.

The Gomez line was excellent, offensive zone in general was pretty good. The defensive zone and turnovers is another story completely. I won't complain much since they just came off a long break. The D was looking good prior to the break.

Can someone tell Pleks the 2nd half of the season has started please.

I di like Martin's time out to give them an earfull, they have to be the worst team in the league for 4 minutes after they score a goal, they just stand around.

Huge pair of weekend games, they need 3 out 4 points.

What a weird game. So many giveaways. 2 softies by Price. That 1st one was tricky though. He didn't look until after he shot. His head was turned quite sharp to the left. The second he was way too deep in his net, but all he could see was number 14. Anyway. Price looked rusty. He scares me sometimes. How good is benny P? I love the way he plays. Gio with a couple. Nice to see Cammy get on the board. This team needs to stop giving the puck away. Get possession. protect the puck. take a look make the safe pass and support the puck carrier with speed. isn't that the martin system? we sure didn't play it today. too many fast long passes. Hey a win is a win. now can we please beat a contender this year?

The goalie is not to be blamed on the 2nd goal. The puck was severely deflected to his right. He was at the top of his crease. Further than that, he would have been in the skates of the Dallas player.

Blaming the goalies -- particularly Price -- is almost a sport here. I don't understand why because, IMO, the stats speak in favor of BOTH of them. The reasoning is pretty simple: you need an average of three goals per game from your offense to win very regularly. Right now, the average is 2.58. Not really bad, but not good enough since we also give 2.68 goals per game.

IMO it's not realistic to hope for a better record if we don't fix two problems real quick:

1. We need more goals. Not two or three, just one more goal per game. On a number of game, our stat should rise closer to 3 if we are to win more games. Don't see how we could become a Stanley Cup contender if we have no offense.

2. We need better defensive play. And I don't expect it from the goalies. They are both doing good and should look even better if we can find a way to spend less time in the defensive zone. I don't know how Martin will fix it, but we need the forwards and defensemen to communicate better and get the puck out of the zone a lot more quicker. I'd say that we have had some improvement lately (shots are down), but it's not enough. If we could limit shots on goal game after game, we should be able to lower the average to below 2.50 per game, even accounting for a soft goal from our goalie from time to time. (Hell! even Brodeur, Luongo and Fleury allow weak goals every two or three games).

BTW, Price still had to face 36 shots yesterday. His SV% for the game was .916 against .821 for Turco who faced 28 shots. Don't you think that the Dallas fans (I know there aren't many) would not like to have one of our young goalie instead of an aging one?

Edited by JCPetit

With the exception of the first goal, i think Carey did well. It's just soo frustrating to see him give up one weak goal per game because he doesnT' seem to be concentrating on the game!

Nice to see the boys score 5 goals. Keep it up this week end!

There's absolutely NO excuse to lose to the hens. Alfredsson and Spezza aren't playing. NO EXCUSE!

The first goal was a bit soft, but that was a good head fake and a hard accurate shot from Peterson. I don't see how you can blame Price on the 2nd goal. He was at the top of his crease, screened, and the puck was deflected by Ott.

price had a ok game(better then turco)..the habs win we get 2 pts..iam happy, the next 2 games are big..they are must win games at this point.

Go HABS GO....

:hlogo:

The goalie is not to be blamed on the 2nd goal. The puck was severely deflected to his right. He was at the top of his crease. Further than that, he would have been in the skates of the Dallas player.

I agree he should not be blamed, but there was no deflection. They had a great angle from behind he shooter with that whole side opened (Price was as far out as he could get, but his angle wasn't great). If anything, the opposing player almost blocked that shot!

The team looked rusty, including Price, but they sucked it up. Hopefully they play better this weekend.

I agree he should not be blamed, but there was no deflection. They had a great angle from behind he shooter with that whole side opened (Price was as far out as he could get, but his angle wasn't great). If anything, the opposing player almost blocked that shot!

The team looked rusty, including Price, but they sucked it up. Hopefully they play better this weekend.

I agree his angle wasn't the best, but it was deflected by Ott.

I saw the deflection on TV. You see it when they show the goal from behind, over-head angle. They have shown it just once.

He was right in the middle, between the two posts. That was not a bad angle. Withouth deflection, he would have made the stop.

Anyhow, as I said, this is a non-issue. The two goalies are at the top of their game, and getting better. Price is only 22, Halak 24; they have a bright future in front of them. Our problem (a nice one to have) is that, in a salary cap era, it doesn't make sense to pay top dollars to two players when you can put only one on the ice in a game. Obviously -- and it's not personal -- one will have to go. Management has decided that it will be Price. There are a number of reasons for that: his age, his size, his accomplishments in Junior hockey and the AHL, his abilities...

Of course, Halak could prove to be a better choice. Nobody knows for sure, but at 5'11'', 174, he is among the smallest in his trade in the NHL; it makes perfect sense to have a preference to the prospect with the better physical attributes.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=72667

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=72046

Edited by JCPetit

I'm not a big Laraque fan, but it was sheer joy to see him after he scored the goal. <3

Eff Oveckin's goal celebrations - Laraque's was real happiness. :)

I'm not a big Laraque fan, but it was sheer joy to see him after he scored the goal. <3

Eff Oveckin's goal celebrations - Laraque's was real happiness. :)

I am not a big fan either, but it was well deserved. He did a good job behind the net to feed Bergeron and got himself in good position in front of the net. I saw him do the same thing numerous times with the Penguins. Too bad he can't do that more often in Mtl. His injuries probably did not help.

Georges Laraque: a 100% shooting percentage this season.

Good for him. He's a genuinely good guy, even though I'm harsh on him as a player. And as one of the only players of Haitian descent in the NHL, it must have felt REALLY good to have that rush of joy this week.

Our problem (a nice one to have) is that, in a salary cap era, it doesn't make sense to pay top dollars to two players when you can put only one on the ice in a game. Obviously -- and it's not personal -- one will have to go. Management has decided that it will be Price. There are a number of reasons for that: his age, his size, his accomplishments in Junior hockey and the AHL, his abilities...

I take it from the rest of your post that you meant to say that the one who will have to go is Halak, not Price..........

Georges Laraque: a 100% shooting percentage this season.

Good for him. He's a genuinely good guy, even though I'm harsh on him as a player. And as one of the only players of Haitian descent in the NHL, it must have felt REALLY good to have that rush of joy this week.

This was right after his goal, but he registered a 2nd shot last night, wich put him at 50%, still the best in the league though.

The real leader is Tomas Fleischmann with 67 shots and 15 goals for 22,4%.

By the way, I was at the game yesterday and this goal was just one of the best moment I felt in a long time in terms of sports. It was just magic in the Bell Centre when he scored.

The last time I was feeling great like that, it was in front of my tv in 2002 for the 500m short track speed skating. I almost cried when Guilmette told Gagnon that they finished 1-2. It is at 35 seconds of this video.