Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

The Jiri Sekac of the offseason has already signed (Artemi Panarin to Chicago) but there are still some international names out there. Normally I'd list them in the World Championships thread but since there are no Habs or prospects there, we don't have one this year. So, I'll post the list here instead. Here are ten international players that will garner attention from NHL teams this offseason:

F Joonas Kemppainen, Karpat, SM-liiga

D Dean Kukan, Lulea, SHL

F Andreas Martinsen, Duesseldorf, DEL

D Jakub Nakladal, Turku, SM-liiga

F Matthias Plachta, Mannheim, DEL

F Sergei Plotnikov, Lokomotiv, KHL

F Derek Ryan, Orebro, SHL

F Dominik Simon, Plzen, Czech Extraliga

F Viktor Tikhonov, St. Petersburg, KHL

D Nikita Zaitsev, CSKA Moscow, KHL

I don't know a whole lot about too many of these players unfortunately. Kemppainen has been impressive at the Worlds but he's 27 already and I don't see too much offensive upside in him. He'd be a nice bottom six option at the right price though. Martinsen is a tough guy that displayed a bit of a scoring touch this year. Tikhonov was a 1st rounder of Phoenix a long time ago but I can't see him landing a big pay day like he's reportedly seeking - I don't see him being more than a third liner in the NHL. Zaitsev is someone Philly has been after for a couple of years now and really improved offensively this year. If there's an out clause in his KHL contract, there should be a few suitors for him.

I would expect if you don't pay your players (KHL), that that would be grounds for divorce. We could probably add a whole boatload of veterans that may become available. This year could be a buyers market. Good year to announce expansion.

Kerby Rychel from Columbus for Emelin; RDS rumour I think.

Is that a rumour or them guessing based on yesterday's report that he could be available? I imagine they're just guessing.

And add me among those that aren't fans of Rychel. Part of that is based on the fact he refused to report to Barrie after being drafted there but I don't see him being a huge scorer in the NHL and the rest of his game beyond goal scoring isn't all that good.

Silly rumours out right now that Galchenyuk is about to jump to the KHL.

Agent has begun negotiations by starting rumour, let's face it he has no leverage.

Agent has begun negotiations by starting rumour, let's face it he has no leverage.

Some of the Russian personal (KHL) have not been paid for last year. - I would be a little leery signing a Russian contract. iI might be a bold attempt to obtain leverage. Maybe in a different year, but I see no leverage at all.

I doubt Bergy will be dissuaded by that crap. His end-of-season presser conveyed a definite tone of being less-than-impressed with Galchenyuk, so he's got some leverage of his own.

uh huh. :thumbs_up:

galchenyuk will be signed, we need not worry...

we should be worried about getting a new center, right wing and left wing...

Big Mike McCaron has been playing C since the trade from london to oshawa and he has flourished in the role.. he's scoring while shutting down the other teams best C, playing on the PP as well as the PK... could be an interesting development... he would instantly be the biggest C in all of hockey

No Brian Boyle is bigger and much better player.

McCarron is still playing vs mostly 16-19yr old kids, not men...will be big difference for him this fall in St. Johns, don't get too excited quite yet.

But, hope he does well and will be nice to see him play at Memorial cup again this weekend.

(Boyle had 31goals in his AHL rookie season, if McCarron can come even close to that I would be very surprised.)

No Brian Boyle is bigger and much better player.

McCarron is still playing vs mostly 16-19yr old kids, not men...will be big difference for him this fall in St. Johns, don't get too excited quite yet.

But, hope he does well and will be nice to see him play at Memorial cup again this weekend.

(Boyle had 31goals in his AHL rookie season, if McCarron can come even close to that I would be very surprised.)

i hear ya Don but, i was just talking about his body of work with oshawa thus far... said it "could be an interesting development" considering all the AG27 talk.. clearly boyle is much better and 10 years the older/ wiser but with that said....

6'7" 244 lbs age 30

6'6" 225 lbs age 20

not much of a difference in size and id go as far as to say big mike loses an inch but will end up thicker.

Brian Boyle is a great bottom six player, I've grown to respect him over the last two years and I would trade him for Lars Eller in a heartbeat.

me too.

i hear ya Don but, i was just talking about his body of work with oshawa thus far... said it "could be an interesting development" considering all the AG27 talk.. clearly boyle is much better and 10 years the older/ wiser but with that said....

6'7" 244 lbs age 30

6'6" 225 lbs age 20

not much of a difference in size and id go as far as to say big mike loses an inch but will end up thicker.

me too.

so would I trade Eller for Boyle but it would mean that Yzerman gets fired. Mind you that don't bother me at all. :)

The Jiri Sekac of the offseason has already signed (Artemi Panarin to Chicago) but there are still some international names out there. Normally I'd list them in the World Championships thread but since there are no Habs or prospects there, we don't have one this year. So, I'll post the list here instead. Here are ten international players that will garner attention from NHL teams this offseason:

F Joonas Kemppainen, Karpat, SM-liiga

D Dean Kukan, Lulea, SHL

F Andreas Martinsen, Duesseldorf, DEL (Signed with COL)

D Jakub Nakladal, Turku, SM-liiga

F Matthias Plachta, Mannheim, DEL

F Sergei Plotnikov, Lokomotiv, KHL

F Derek Ryan, Orebro, SHL

F Dominik Simon, Plzen, Czech Extraliga

F Viktor Tikhonov, St. Petersburg, KHL

D Nikita Zaitsev, CSKA Moscow, KHL

I don't know a whole lot about too many of these players unfortunately. Kemppainen has been impressive at the Worlds but he's 27 already and I don't see too much offensive upside in him. He'd be a nice bottom six option at the right price though. Martinsen is a tough guy that displayed a bit of a scoring touch this year. Tikhonov was a 1st rounder of Phoenix a long time ago but I can't see him landing a big pay day like he's reportedly seeking - I don't see him being more than a third liner in the NHL. Zaitsev is someone Philly has been after for a couple of years now and really improved offensively this year. If there's an out clause in his KHL contract, there should be a few suitors for him.

Speaking of Sekac, looked like he played pretty well last night. Given the defense first philosophy, the only safe selections are defenseman, unless you are just looking for body.

I understand why we didn't sign Boyle (assuming he'd have come); Zoot probably looked at Eller and saw youth and offensive upside and decided to go with what he had. But it's really too bad we didn't. He's a damned good bottom-6er. Lucky Lars is, by contrast, completely forgettable. Oh well.

I question the source on this one but someone's bound to mention it. Apparently Tomas Plekanec has asked for a trade and has been dealt with the announcement to come after the playoffs. I'm not buying it but here's where the report comes from: http://www.danslescoulisses.com/fr/rumeur-tomas-plekanec-echange/

Haha I saw some of that stuff. "Everyone is talking about Babcock, quick, write a Habs rumour!"

I question the source on this one but someone's bound to mention it. Apparently Tomas Plekanec has asked for a trade and has been dealt with the announcement to come after the playoffs. I'm not buying it but here's where the report comes from: http://www.danslescoulisses.com/fr/rumeur-tomas-plekanec-echange/

Let's say it's true - where he had been dealt and for who/what? I'd say Edmonton but he has limited no-trade clause. Interesting.