Resignation of Bob Gainey

jrhabs

McGuire???

I just threw up a little...

I think this is likely the case. What I will be watching for is for him to volenteer that he was not pushed that way and it had nothing to do with ownership. If he does not volenteer it, then it is a possibility. I don't know why, but I would really ike to see McGuire in htis position.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I like McGuire on TV, as much I think it would be a mistake to hire him with the Habs. He simply doesn't have what it takes.

Gainey's departure is a sad day for me. I have too much good memories of him as a player to have a negative opinion of him, even though I was not always positive on his decisions as a GM. Well, let's hope the best for this great habs as a retiree.

I really don't think there is reason to have a negative opinion of him. He had a winning record and his teams made the playoffs in 4 of his 5 years as GM. He hired a lot of quality people and the organization is healthier now, than it was before he got here, in my opinion. The team still needs some tweaking, but it does not need an overhaul like it did when he arrived. I was obviously hoping for more, but really I gage his success on my personal passion for the team. In the last 5 years, I have grown more passionate and optimistic about this team. I get more excited about games and have some hope. Pre Gainey, I did not have this level of enthusiasm. Why? They were horrible and had no hope!

As much as I like McGuire on TV, as much I think it would be a mistake to hire him with the Habs. He simply doesn't have what it takes.

Gainey's departure is a sad day for me. I have too much good memories of him as a player to have a negative opinion of him, even though I was not always positive on his decisions as a GM. Well, let's hope the best for this great habs as a retiree.

+1

I'm a bit confused about him making a last ditch effort for Kovalchuk right before deciding he would step down instead of gutting the team for a playoff push.

As BC Habnut points out the team doesn't need to be gutted, it needs a few changes and a few contracts to go away.

They need more grit and size, especially in the bottom 6. They need to shed a few Defenseman, They have Subban on the way.

They need to pick a goalie

I'm a bit confused about him making a last ditch effort for Kovalchuk right before deciding he would step down instead of gutting the team for a playoff push.

Ya who knows. Maybe Gomer was in the Kovy package and he found a way to shed the contract. It failed, he saw no way to sign Plek Price and Halak without making radical moves so decided to let someone else who was gonna stay make the radical moves.

The last year is littered with contradictory messages.

As BC Habnut points out the team doesn't need to be gutted, it needs a few changes and a few contracts to go away.

They need more grit and size, especially in the bottom 6. They need to shed a few Defenseman, They have Subban on the way.

They need to pick a goalie

Why? Neither makes huge $$ and making a choice right now could lead to a big error.

The last year is littered with contradictory messages.

Why? Neither makes huge $$ and making a choice right now could lead to a big error.

Ya, I actually think right now is the time to NOT pick a goalie.

Because you can get younger players in other areas of need.

Like it or not there is a need for a 2nd line center or LW depending on where they want Pouliot to play. Pleks is a goner

Moving a goalie can get that accomplished. I am fine with either guy, They also have 2 pretty good goalies in Hamilton, a vet and a younger guy.

Wow, this move surprises me, as much for the timing as for the content.

I just hope that Gainey didn't decide to leave mid-contract because he was predicting / expecting that the Molson's were going to micro-manage him as a GM, but that would be a justifiable reason for Gainey (or anyone else) to leave. I don't want my team to become the George Steinbrenner-run Yankees of hockey! Or worse, to extend the analogy, the Harold Ballard-run Maple Leafs of the 70's & 80's. :(

Because you can get younger players in other areas of need.

Like it or not there is a need for a 2nd line center or LW depending on where they want Pouliot to play. Pleks is a goner

Moving a goalie can get that accomplished. I am fine with either guy, They also have 2 pretty good goalies in Hamilton, a vet and a younger guy.

I am not sold on Desjardins. Curtis Sanford is a career backup and is also putting up monster numbers. How much is team defense to play for his success?

With Halak raising the level of his game, why not see if he can maintain it?

Price is just entering the phase where most goaltenders begin to mature 23-25, it is

extremely risky to trade him right now.

This is about long term thinking. THe best choice right now is patience.

I got a feeling that Plek may resign...not giving up hope. Either goalie is not going to bring back a 2nd line centre...not one we could sign for less than we could get Plek for.

definitely better then when he arrived. He also had 1 monster for the first timne in like 20 years.

I don't know anything about Gauthier but I'll predict soem moves more in the seller mode.

i don't think they are buyers

Pierre Gauthier introduced as new General Manager and executive vice president. ----> No INTERIM tag

Ugh. Well, open mind: maybe he's going to work out.

Classy guy even at the end.

Would anyone expect differently from one of the classiest guys in sport?

Haha some of the opinions here lead me to believe otherwise. All the talk of mortaging the future to save his job...

As an aside...I wish I spoke french..only understanding the english questions on RDS -_-

It was nice that they "let him stand down" instead of just firing him. Not sure if Gauthier is the long term solution. Hopefully they find the best GM for the job and not just the best billingual person for the job. Too bad Sam Pollock is dead? There was a real GM.

Now that you've heard the press conference, and seen the respect shown Bob, and the fact that he's staying on as advisor, go back and read some of the ealier posts in this thread. A bunch of brainiacs, wow. Somebody suggested he's not a Molson choice...Not even close to the truth.

Now that you've heard the press conference, and seen the respect shown Bob, and the fact that he's staying on as advisor, go back and read some of the ealier posts in this thread. A bunch of brainiacs, wow. Somebody suggested he's not a Molson choice...Not even close to the truth.

What were you expecting? Bob screwed up the team, he made terrible moves, we need to move in a new direction? Our goal is the Stanley Cup, not the playoffs?

Gainey is well respected throughout the league and is a Canadiens legend, his farewell press conference was always going to be filled with class and dignity.