GDT: Panthers @ Canadiens - February 2nd

bar

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We would only have one line?

The problem is we have two solid wingers right now.. so if you give them to Gomez, Pleks can't get anything done. If you do it the other way, Gomez can't get anything done. When cammy is back, it is a bit better. when AK shows up hard, it is a bit better. Generally, we have one set of wingers to work with.

Why not try to put Plekanec (as the shooter) on Gomez's line? Plekanec may be the only forward not tested with Gomez

Why not try to put Plekanec (as the shooter) on Gomez's line? Plekanec may be the only forward not tested with Gomez

other way around...unless your just referring to the PP.

JM will have to try Gomez on the wing, with Desharnais and Pouliot

other way around...unless your just referring to the PP.

JM will have to try Gomez on the wing, with Desharnais and Pouliot

Actually having Gomez-Desharnais - POuliot may not be a bad idea.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Ak46-Desharnais-Pouliot.

I don't think Gomez has been especially horrendous or anything lately, but come ON. -10 on a team of mostly plus player? 5 points in his last ten games, consistent with his seasonal pace for a 44-point season? That's simply pathetic. Other than a hot December, and with all due respect to his unquestioned ability to at least move the puck effectively through the neutral zone, he has more-or-less sucked ass all season - surely one of the least effective second-line C in the NHL.

And I say this as a declared Gomez fan.

Is he injured? A victim of weak linemates? Is he suffering under JM's system (perhaps the most plausible explanation, since he lost the internal battle to play a more offensive game?)Or is it possible that the rest of the league simply has the book on this guy and that his old moves/tricks no longer work?

This isn't a slump. It's turning into an entire season - not just a season where he's not worth $7.4 mil, which is a given, but a season of sheer, straightforward mediocrity. At what point do we concede that IF by chance Gauthier has the opportunity to bag a legitimate top-2 centreman, the Habs should do the unthinkable and give Gomez the Redden treatment? At what point do we do as Philly and Chicago do and just ruthlessly and relentlessly try to make our team better, hurt feelings or not?

Think about it. If (and yes, I know it's a big 'if') you could add a more productive C at (say) $5.5 mil, that still leaves about $2 mil in extra cap space to play around with. I was willing to accept the crazy cap hit when Gomez was in the 60 point range considering his blazing speed and Cup experience. But this is getting preposterous.

Note that I'm not just saying 'dump Gomez.' I'm asking how long we are supposed to tolerate this kind of performance before we consider more radical measures.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Glad I went there with a hot girl. Otherwise, nothing to write my mom about.

You write your mom about things you do with hot girls? Intriguing.. laugh.gif

hmmmm Hot girl....

Reg Chicoutimi's comments. I think the time to throw the towel is once the playoffs are over (if he sucks in them). Remember Gomez shined last year in the post-season. And like we mentioned before, JM still has to try him at the wing or on the fourth line. I think even Cheechoo and Redden had stunts all over before being dumped in the minors. But then again doesnt Gomez have a NMC?

Edited by CoRvInA

hmmmm Hot girl....

Reg Chicoutimi's comments. I think the time to throw the towel is once the playoffs are over (if he sucks in them). Remember Gomez shined last year in the post-season. And like we mentioned before, JM still has to try him at the wing or on the fourth line. I think even Cheechoo and Redden had stunts all over before being dumped in the minors. But then again doesnt Gomez have a NMC?

Nope, limited NTC. But the Habs showed extreme reluctance to dump a player making $600k in the minors. They're not going to do so for a guy making $7.5 million. Not to mention that doing so would anger the guys who signed with Montreal particularly because of the Gomez acquisition (Gionta/Cammalleri) but would also be another strike against the organization for potential free agents. Coming from me this sounds odd but it's not just about the money. It's a trade or he stays, Hamilton is not an option for him.

It sounds so stupid that I would personaly ban any member who suggest to send Gomez with the Bulldogs. but maybe i'd be overeacting there...

Change of topic, I find it interesting that Price was one of the only 3 players who dressed for today's optional on ice practice. http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/314369.html

I agree the Habs are unlikely to do pull a Redden on Gomez's ass. But as for that alienating Gio and Cammy, I have a hard time figuring why they'd be terribly upset (in hockey terms) to lose a guy who has become what MUST be one of the league's weakest second-line C. It's one thing to have come here because of Gomez's reputation as a playmaker (an unproven thesis, by the way); but two years in its seems obvious that the guy these skilled wingers would want to play with is Plekanec. See this:

http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/2011/02/aftermath-tale-of-two-centres.html

The suggestion has been bobbing around the blogosphere that at some point Desharnais might take over G's slot. Pretty improbable. Nevertheless IF DD continues to progress that could eventually become an option. Things can't go on indefinitely like this.

It's true that if Gomez plays strong down the stretch (but folks...here we are) and excels in the playoffs, then he will have redeemed himself and justified JM's patience. But if current trends simply continue unabated until the Habs are eliminated, then I really do feel that all options would have to be on the table regarding everyone's favourite Alaskan. At some point, you do what it takes to win. Period. And frankly I think UFAs respect that attitude more than anything else.

Why all the hate on Gomez? even though the team is winning without arguably 2 of there better defenseman and top goal getter people still jump on Gomez.

There have been times during the year where gomez was on a hot streak and Pleks was know where to be found. Both of those centers have had their line m,ates juggled due to in juries and ineffectiveness.

The trusth is no forward on this team other than Darche, Halpern have really earned there salaries. Especially in the points department.

Gomez is a proven playoff guy, not necassarily points but winning which is what i care about. Also, many of the players on the current roster would not have come to Montreal with out him. They went further last year than any year since 93 i believe. While Gomez had as much to do with it as everyone else, the truth is he has been a winner everywhere he has been.

I would try Cammy and AK46 with him when healthy.

Also, Gionta and Cammi who played with Gomez last year at times were both on there way to 35 or more goals before injuries.

This is a defense first system, similar to New Jersey and Gomez only had 1 big year as far as points, but was very good in the playoffs.

Of course he is overpaid, he is with consistent good wingers a 50-70 point guy. if you have higher expectations based on salary than you will be diappointed.

I am actually pretty impressed they are where they are with all the injuries and lack of scoring. Goaltending has been A+ this year.

The others all did just play two full games in 27 hours.

I mean, he could have just hit the gym with other guys but decided to dress. I think it's a good sign that he's in his game this season and want to keep going.

I mean, he could have just hit the gym with other guys but decided to dress. I think it's a good sign that he's in his game this season and want to keep going.

I agree. His dedication seems quite apparent this year.

Nope, limited NTC. But the Habs showed extreme reluctance to dump a player making $600k in the minors. They're not going to do so for a guy making $7.5 million. Not to mention that doing so would anger the guys who signed with Montreal particularly because of the Gomez acquisition (Gionta/Cammalleri) but would also be another strike against the organization for potential free agents. Coming from me this sounds odd but it's not just about the money. It's a trade or he stays, Hamilton is not an option for him.

Trade or stays? I'd sooner take the cap-hit involved with a buyout than keep him around. Or, along the same line of thought, put him on re-entry waivers and hope someone grabs him. Really, which ever the team decides works best from a cap and financial perspective. Those savings combined with an increase in the overall salary cap could give the Canadiens the room to add an impact player. And, personally, I am growing weary of watching Gomez not move his feet and take selfish retaliation penalties.

Trade or stays? I'd sooner take the cap-hit involved with a buyout than keep him around. Or, along the same line of thought, put him on re-entry waivers and hope someone grabs him. Really, which ever the team decides works best from a cap and financial perspective. Those savings combined with an increase in the overall salary cap could give the Canadiens the room to add an impact player. And, personally, I am growing weary of watching Gomez not move his feet and take selfish retaliation penalties.

I'm not interested in taking on the buyout cap hit which is significant due to the front loading of his contract. Gomez will have limited trade value after next season when his salary is much lower than his cap hit - until then, he's not going anywhere, the financial implications if nothing else are too steep. There's a reason underachieving veterans of his stature throughout the league seldom get waived, it's not quantifiable but I'm pretty sure it would be in play here as well.

Here is his buyout situation by the way: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2314 Those numbers aren't pretty (though neither is the cap hit as it is now) but when the buyout cost approaches $5 million, you're not going to get a competent replacement player. I also expect the cap to decrease coming out of the next CBA, making a buyout even more punitive.