Rookie of the Year

johnnyhasbeen

After logging and impressive 26:28 tonight I was just wondering where you all figure he is in the race this year? Obviously the teams top rookie, any chance of the leagues? I love the youth of the team. Been awhile since we had so many top notch rookies on the ice, and more to come!

I love PK, but he doesn't have the numbers. Maybe if JM used him on the PP more he'd be able to get the numbers. At the end of the day though, i don't see how Skinner doesn't win.

Although he could well turn out to be the best of the bunch, PK will never win. His numbers, as Habs29 says, aren't spectacular; he was benched for five games earlier this season; and he's a notorious bigmouth who has been proclaimed to lack 'respect for the code' by the usual legion of ignorant morons. Even if his numbers were great, the selection committee would take the less controversial choices.

Although he could well turn out to be the best of the bunch, PK will never win. His numbers, as Habs29 says, aren't spectacular; he was benched for five games earlier this season; and he's a notorious bigmouth who has been proclaimed to lack 'respect for the code' by the usual legion of ignorant morons. Even if his numbers were great, the selection committee would take the less controversial choices.

Wait until the Toronto Sports Network starts to push for Reimer as the ROY. I guarantee that an article will emerge over the next 2-3 weeks proclaiming his nomination.

If PK turns out the best from the 2010-11 rookies we are talking about being him potentially being one of the top players in the game, so I'd take that over the Calder any day. At the end of the day, the few games I've seen with Taylor Hall staggered over the course of the year, I think he's got what it takes to be as good/better then Stamkos. Big question is, whether Edmonton is going to have a guy like St Louis around to mentor him.

I think the sky's the limit for PK, I just don't know if he'll ever reach his full potential with a guy like Martin coaching him, unless they bring in someone to mentor him like a Larry Robinson, who not only is a former Norris winner/All-Star/HOF defenceman and montreal legend, but has good track record of mentoring young players. Even GOmez who I hate more with each game raves about Robinson's influence over him as young player in NJ. Subban was the reason I was pissed when the Habs didn't hire Robinson last year and I really hope they correct that mistake next year.

Wait until the Toronto Sports Network starts to push for Reimer as the ROY. I guarantee that an article will emerge over the next 2-3 weeks proclaiming his nomination.

Well, the CBC is already starting their push. First it was the CBC's own red neck Libarace during the 1st intermission of the leafs game and then Kelly Hrudy went on about him in the 1st intermission of the Canucks game.

Sorry, he's not in contention. It's between Couture and Skinner.

I think Skinner's a done deal, unless things change drastically in the last quarter of the season. I really can't believe the kid is 18 - he plays a pretty complete game.

If PK turns out the best from the 2010-11 rookies we are talking about being him potentially being one of the top players in the game, so I'd take that over the Calder any day. At the end of the day, the few games I've seen with Taylor Hall staggered over the course of the year, I think he's got what it takes to be as good/better then Stamkos. Big question is, whether Edmonton is going to have a guy like St Louis around to mentor him.

I think the sky's the limit for PK, I just don't know if he'll ever reach his full potential with a guy like Martin coaching him, unless they bring in someone to mentor him like a Larry Robinson, who not only is a former Norris winner/All-Star/HOF defenceman and montreal legend, but has good track record of mentoring young players. Even GOmez who I hate more with each game raves about Robinson's influence over him as young player in NJ. Subban was the reason I was pissed when the Habs didn't hire Robinson last year and I really hope they correct that mistake next year.

I do think Subban will be one of the best d-men in the game. There's on average 1 player in every organization that I would trade him for.

How can you wonder whether Subban can reach his potential under Martin? He's already playing as their #1 d-man and he's in his rookie season! The guy has, if anything, exceeded expectations so far. He's a can't-miss prospect. I'll be very surprised if he never becomes our #1 D long term.

I do think Subban will be one of the best d-men in the game. There's on average 1 player in every organization that I would trade him for.

How can you wonder whether Subban can reach his potential under Martin? He's already playing as their #1 d-man and he's in his rookie season! The guy has, if anything, exceeded expectations so far. He's a can't-miss prospect. I'll be very surprised if he never becomes our #1 D long term.

Agreed. The kid is a beast like we haven't seen in Montreal since the arrival of Saku Koivu. The only issue with PK concerns what goes on between the ears. If he allows the combination of Montreal + all the success get to his head, then at some point he will regress and perhaps crash and burn. This is where the internal leadership of guys like Gill is so key. (And yeah, Robinson wouldn't hurt ;) )

But there is no question in my mind that he has it in him to be a top-10 NHL defenceman of his generation. In about 20 years of watching as a conscious adult, I've never seen a rookie defenceman come in and make such an impact on the Habs. Not Chelios, not Desjardins - nobody. He's the real thing, if you ask me.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

His third period dangle last night late in the game was one of the most impressive and poised displays I've seen on the Habs blueline since Robinson. Combined with the end-to-end rushes we're enjoying more and more often, I'd say this is the most exciting d-man in the game today by quite a substantial margin. With what we've seen in his first year, IMHO the sky is the limit - and it's only barely a limit. On top of the talent and skill, this kid is just ALL that. He's enthusiastic, driven, a Habs fan. What more can you ask for?

The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Agreed. The kid is a beast like we haven't seen in Montreal since the arrival of Saku Koivu. The only issue with PK concerns what goes on between the ears. If he allows the combination of Montreal + all the success get to his head, then at some point he will regress and perhaps crash and burn. This is where the internal leadership of guys like Gill is so key. (And yeah, Robinson wouldn't hurt )

I'm pretty sure there is hardly a word in all of your posts... and I've read most... where I would outright disagree with your points brought forth. That said, I really do not believe that :habslogo: PK is a crash and burn type. I happen to think :habslogo: Subban is rather stable, especially being a rookie.

If PK turns out the best from the 2010-11 rookies we are talking about being him potentially being one of the top players in the game, so I'd take that over the Calder any day.

I think the sky's the limit for PK, I just don't know if he'll ever reach his full potential with a guy like Martin coaching him, unless they bring in someone to mentor him like a Larry Robinson, who not only is a former Norris winner/All-Star/HOF defenceman and legend, but has good track record of mentoring young players. Even GOmez who I hate more with each game raves about Robinson's influence over him as young player in NJ. Subban was the reason I was pissed when the didn't hire Robinson last year and I really hope they correct that mistake next year.

Ever since :habslogo: Robinson left for the Devils, I've been forever dreaming of his return. I would welcome the :habslogo: Bird in any capacity. As a stallworth mentor to :habslogo: Su'per'bban or any of our Hockeyeurs, :habslogo: Larry would be the perfect bearer to pass the torch.

Whatever issue(s) is holding back this dream of mine of coming to fruition, I truly hope that PG works them out. If he does I will wrap his name in a :habslogo:, like all my favourites.

Just so you know, I hate :habslogo: Gomer's contract not the numerous skills he brings to his team.

Edited by Mitch

His third period dangle last night late in the game was one of the most impressive and poised displays I've seen on the Habs blueline since Robinson. Combined with the end-to-end rushes we're enjoying more and more often, I'd say this is the most exciting d-man in the game today by quite a substantial margin. With what we've seen in his first year, IMHO the sky is the limit - and it's only barely a limit. On top of the talent and skill, this kid is just ALL that. He's enthusiastic, driven, a Habs fan. What more can you ask for?

For Robinson to be here next year to oversee his continual development.

Gentlemen I have been along time proponent of bringing Larry back to Montreal to coach the defence. It still amazes me that we have no defensive coach. However I fear that pg and bg screwed the pooch on the this one. Larry was begging to come back and help. They chose to ignore him and left him hanging. So he went to the Devils cause Lou ain't no dummy and jumped on the chance to have him. I think I would be very surprised if Larry would even consider coming back after way he was treated. :angry:

Gentlemen I have been along time proponent of bringing Larry back to Montreal to coach the defence. It still amazes me that we have no defensive coach. However I fear that pg and bg screwed the pooch on the this one. Larry was begging to come back and help. They chose to ignore him and left him hanging. So he went to the Devils cause Lou ain't no dummy and jumped on the chance to have him. I think I would be very surprised if Larry would even consider coming back after way he was treated. :angry:

I really hope that he can be brought back into the fold - They eventually did get Lafleur and Lafleur back - although it took a long time for both, so 1 year may not be enough time, but the habs could really use him!!

I'm hazy on the specifics, but there was some story going around that Robinson had inquired about openings behind the Habs' bench and had not been taken up on it.

I think we can all agree that we'd like to see Big Bird back with les glorieux. Most likely, it had to do with Jacques Martin wanting people he felt comfortable with. His prerogative, and considering the number of people who want raw rookie Kirk Muller to replace one of the winningest active coaches, it was probably a wise strategic move by JM to keep Robinson at a distance - if indeed that's what happened.

I'm hazy on the specifics, but there was some story going around that Robinson had inquired about openings behind the Habs' bench and had not been taken up on it.

I remember the report from the offseason but it was never confirmed (or denied for that matter). It stemmed from around the time that Perry Pearn was rumoured to be heading to the WHL.

I remember the report from the offseason but it was never confirmed (or denied for that matter). It stemmed from around the time that Perry Pearn was rumoured to be heading to the WHL.

The gazette actually had an interview with Robinson. In it he said that he contacted Gainey and possibly the outgoing president in the winter about a assistant coach position and was told to wait. Then PG came in, Robinson called the habs again and was left hanging and then the habs went through all of their issues (Hamilton coaching changes, possible move for Muller, Pearn possibly going to Edmonton NAIT) and in all this he was left hanging and then was never contacted when all the positions fell in place, so he eventually got tired of waiting and went to the devils.

The story really reflected VERY badly on habs management.

Seeing PK skate circles around our net in the 3rd period against the Canes was a thing of beauty. His composure and work ethic are only getting better. And his old school Rob Blake style hip checks are channeled from a by gone era. This kid is the business and I don't think he is going to 'let it go to his head'

I'll admit, when he first came into the league I was concerned that his moxy was going to get him in trouble, and someone was going to hurt him. But after watching him play, I realized that he can take care of himself. Nobody can really touch him, he just spins off checks and has great on ice awareness.

Sure get Big Bird in to help mentor him but I think Hal is doing a pretty damn good job for the time being... P-K-P-K-P-K!