Injury news

Commandant

Galchenyuk is making it much harder to lose.

This season's good news?

1. McCarron will be an NHL hockey player. The only question is if he can punch through to the top-6. (Long shot).

2. Galchenyuk has been making a real statement that he is ready to be the go-to offensive C on this team, and may FINALLY be taking that step toward bona-fide 1st-line impact.

That's about it. Any other 'positives' to be drawn from this debacle are of the 'unintended consequences' variety. E.g, we have learned that our GM is immune to panic and that the owner leaves him alone to make the decisions; we might get a high draft pick; Therrien is almost sure to get fired (which is good news to his legions of haters); etc.

I don't think it's guaranteed that le genius actually gets fired. I think MB may give him the start of the season like Philly did with their coach a few years ago.

This season's good news?

1. McCarron will be an NHL hockey player. The only question is if he can punch through to the top-6. (Long shot).

2. Galchenyuk has been making a real statement that he is ready to be the go-to offensive C on this team, and may FINALLY be taking that step toward bona-fide 1st-line impact.

That's about it. Any other 'positives' to be drawn from this debacle are of the 'unintended consequences' variety. E.g, we have learned that our GM is immune to panic and that the owner leaves him alone to make the decisions; we might get a high draft pick; Therrien is almost sure to get fired (which is good news to his legions of haters); etc.

This season's good news?

That's one way of looking at it, and the other is that "panic" got Minnesota and Pittsburgh back in the playoff race.

Possibility Price returns Tuesday

I don't know about that. Has he actually practiced with the team yet? They won't skate tomorrow in all likelihood; I can't see them starting him after just one full practice. I know the report was out there yesterday but I thought it got shot down pretty quickly.

The Eastern Conference wildcard race is way tighter than most realize. We are seven points out but have only one win less than Detroit in eighth. If Subban isn't out long term and Price returns healthy? We're a five Game winning streak from being back in the playoffs.

Guest Stogey24

I don't know about that. Has he actually practiced with the team yet? They won't skate tomorrow in all likelihood; I can't see them starting him after just one full practice. I know the report was out there yesterday but I thought it got shot down pretty quickly.

Who knows. That's what Hickey said. Seems early to me

The Eastern Conference wildcard race is way tighter than most realize. We are seven points out but have only one win less than Detroit in eighth. If Subban isn't out long term and Price returns healthy? We're a five Game winning streak from being back in the playoffs.

I always love the optimism of Hab's fan's. No matter how bleak it seems we always believe if we can just get to the playoffs, we have a shot. According to clubstats we have a 1.9 percent chance of making the playoffs. Of course the problem with the 5 game win streak idea is everybody else has to lose. But I love it I tell ya. We just refuse to give up hope. :halm:

I thought Therrien had said in no uncertain terms that Price wouldn't be playing this upcoming week.

PK is ruled out for the next two games.

This further destroys my chances of advancing past the first round of my fantasy hockey playoffs.

This further destroys my chances of advancing past the first round of my fantasy hockey playoffs.

It sounds like he might be back for the weekend at least.

Beaulieu skated today and may play tomorrow. If he's activated off IR, that will force Dietz back to St. John's since he's only up on an emergency basis.

Eller won't play tomorrow, Matteau might. If he does, then Hudon has to go down for the same reason.

Guest Stogey24

This year just wasn't meant to be for the Habs. The injuries were overwhelming.

It is frickin Therrien's fault for all the injuries! :nuts:

I hadn't thought of that, but , you are probably right.

Barberio out indefinitely with a concussion.

Only good thing about that is it might keep his asking price low if Bergevin wants to re-sign him.

I think that is a big if but who knows.

Can we assume Gilbert is done with the Habs?

Barberio mostly does what he does, I think. (I like the kid, and have done from his first game with us). Just like Pateryn can mostly do what Emelin does, notwithstanding Emelin's excellence in Big Games, which I doubt Pateryn can emulate.

I'd cut both veterans loose in favour of these youngsters. Then look to sign a seasoned, Weaver-type vet on the cheap to serve as #7 defenceman, just to make sure we're not relying unduly on babies back there.

Guest Stogey24

Gilbert is getting old. Starting to have injury trouble among other things. I wish we could have got a pick for him

Barberio mostly does what he does, I think. (I like the kid, and have done from his first game with us). Just like Pateryn can mostly do what Emelin does, notwithstanding Emelin's excellence in Big Games, which I doubt Pateryn can emulate.

I'd cut both veterans loose in favour of these youngsters. Then look to sign a seasoned, Weaver-type vet on the cheap to serve as #7 defenceman, just to make sure we're not relying unduly on babies back there.

I'm hoping Gilbert would be willing to assume that role (and get paid as such)

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping Gilbert would be willing to assume that role (and get paid as such)

I hadn't thought of that - it's an interesting idea. Honestly, though, has his play per se dipped all that much? His problem this year has been staying healthy, more than diminishing skills, it seems to me. If I were a veteran and still thought I had the chops, I wouldn't settle for less money and an auxiliary role just because I had one injury-riddled year. So I suppose it depends on how much Gilbert likes the city, and how he sees his role and identity as a player at this stage of his career.And it also depends on whether he can get decent money elsewhere, of course. I'm pretty sure a team like Vancouver, desperate for help on the back end, would sign him to similar money to what we gave him (maybe a bit less) on the expectation that he's a top-6er.

I don't see Gilbert having much trouble finding a job, he is still a decent veteran puck moving D, and a good skater, teams need Gilberts.