If you were GM how would you steady this ship?

Willey101

I'd say we dump age and contracts and rebuild, but looking at our previous draft I'm not so confident in the drafting of our team. Just in 2 years we could of feasibly had Getzlaf(or Carter or Perry or Parise), Shea Weber, Lucic, and Keith. Wouldn't we look pretty good now if we drafted those guys. Oh it's fun to dream.

I think at this point, after the last 20 years of lackluster teams, we need to take a fresh approach and start at the top now, slowly making our way to the bottom and do a complete team/management overhaul. It worked for Toronto. Granted they signed Burke, but it's paying off now and showing a good team really does start at the top.

my guess is dregger was wrong!

like i said... richards was never coming to MTL

Richards had no intention of coming here, or anywhere that wasn't the Rangers. However that didn't stop Montreal, Calgary, Toronto, the LA Kings, and a couple of other teams from also offering him a contract. It was a long shot, but Gauthier wouldn't have offered him anything without having a plan in place for if he took it.

If i was the GM I'd tell JM to start trying to win some games in regulation instead of sitting back and playing for the losing point, it doesn't work in our favor.

Leading the league in overtime or shootout losses is nothing to be proud of.

I think at this point, after the last 20 years of lackluster teams, we need to take a fresh approach and start at the top now, slowly making our way to the bottom and do a complete team/management overhaul. It worked for Toronto. Granted they signed Burke, but it's paying off now and showing a good team really does start at the top.

Toronto's strong start is fading. I have no doubt the Habs will finish ahead of the Leafs and that Burke et al will be in the doghouse again.

I liked BG a lot as a GM. I think PG has been even better. I agree with pretty much every gamble he has made and his gradual effort to balance the team in terms of 5-on-5 strength and more size and grit. Super impressed he got Emelin over and Cole to sign with us. His approach to Halak vs. Price was bang on and I expect we will say the same about Wiz vs. Markov in the long-run.

There is no doubt a short-term crisis at this point, despite all the unfulfilled potential and close games. I think PG needed to do something significant, but not too dramatic. He accomplished that exactly in the trade for Kabs and addressed the team's key issue - the PP.

I can think of nothing I could improve upon as manager.

Looking forward, I hope DD and Eller can rise to the challenge of being 2-3 Cs, but I am not sure. I would be probing for 2C options, as I am sure PG is doing. Trade or let Moen and Nokia walk and sign new gritty 4th liners in the off season.

Edited by patience is a virtue

Toronto's strong start is fading. I have no doubt the Habs will finish ahead of the Leafs and that Burke et al will be in the doghouse again.

I liked BG a lot as a GM. I think PG has been even better. I agree with pretty much every gamble he has made and his gradual effort to balance the team in terms of 5-on-5 strength and more size and grit. Super impressed he got Emelin over and Cole to sign with us. His approach to Halak vs. Price was bang on and I expect we will say the same about Wiz vs. Markov in the long-run.

There is no doubt a short-term crisis at this point, despite all the unfulfilled potential and close games. I think PG needed to do something significant, but not too dramatic. He accomplished that exactly in the trade for Kabs and addressed the team's key issue - the PP.

I can think of nothing I could improve upon as manager.

Looking forward, I hope DD and Eller can rise to the challenge of being 2-3 Cs, but I am not sure. I would be probing for 2C options, as I am sure PG is doing. Trade or let Moen and Nokia walk and sign new gritty 4th liners in the off season.

I am so with ya there. A cheap hard hitting 4th line with a very good faceoff guy centering the line would do this team wonders for teams like bruins,flyers. Example a player like greg stewart who we had and did his job dropping the gloves when needed. He is in the ahl now so he would and can handle 4 th line duties he skates well and brings the physical side of the game which we need. along with white he would have some back bone again without the dumb penalties

I wonder if Pierre McGuire is packing wherever he is. Friend of Molson's, guy with a plan.... I think the McGuire era could start after the Canadiens are eliminated this season. Right now, I'd put it at a 30% chance. Let the watch begin.

Why is Greg Stewart not earning a job with one of the 29 other NHL teams? Cause he's not good enough.

Forget the other NHL teams, he can't even get one with an AHL team. He's playing for South Carolina in the ECHL. I knew his stock had dropped but I didn't think it was this low.

our big problem is our lack of a genuine superstar up front...

we need to go after a huge superstar, I think Malkin might be available since, honestly, pittsburgh has so much depth at center, so send em plekanec, gionta/cammalleri, diaz/weber and a 1st for Malkin..

then, u have eller be ur 2nd center, DD as the 3rd center and ryan white as 4th when he comes back

I would see our lines like this:

Pacioretty-Malkin-Cole

Kostitsyn-Eller-Gionta/Cammalleri

Leblanc-DD-Gomez

Moen-White-Darche

Markov-Subban

Gorges-Gill

Kaberle-Diaz-Weber

Emelin

Price

Budaj

Forget the other NHL teams, he can't even get one with an AHL team. He's playing for South Carolina in the ECHL. I knew his stock had dropped but I didn't think it was this low.

Nor did i! haha i guess he would be really cheap then. lol i liked what he brought to the table for us. but the point i was making is that there is lot of cheap 4th line guy's that will play there ass of and hit and stand up for teammates. We don't need million dollar players in those spots to play 4 to 8 mins a game.

We also only have one contract spot left.

I think that 4th line place was always intended to be Moen and White, but injuries have forced Moen into the top 9, and White out of the lineup entirely.

Do we use our last contract on this, when White/Gomez/Gionta are back soon (hopefully) and force Moen into that role and Darche to the pressbox.

The real question is do you bring up Blunden to fill the fourth line in the meantime IMO... not if you sign someone new at this point.

We also only have one contract spot left.

I think that 4th line place was always intended to be Moen and White, but injuries have forced Moen into the top 9, and White out of the lineup entirely.

Do we use our last contract on this, when White/Gomez/Gionta are back soon (hopefully) and force Moen into that role and Darche to the pressbox.

The real question is do you bring up Blunden to fill the fourth line in the meantime IMO... not if you sign someone new at this point.

I was talking more for next year and meon has played very well and has played like a top nine on this team with everyone healthy i agree with ya darche to the press box. No need to pick anyone else up unless they bring in something that we don't have.

Simple.. If I was the GM, I would put Gomez over my knee and spank that boy until he either played better, or ran away. Then, I would ask Gionta and Cammy if I need to take my belt off....

ROTFL

But seriously. We have all been frustrated. The Habs have blown way too many leads and lost way too many should-have-wons. But just think: they have stayed in the hunt while floundering. they are OK (well, 9 points of a possible 12 so far in Dec is much better than OK actually) even at their worst.

what i'm excited about is that you just can't keep this team down for much longer. there are way too many goal scorers who are frustrated and looking for ways to break out - Cam, Pacs, Gio (when he's back) and PK on the PP. Put another way, we've been climbing the ladder with half our offense (Cole, AK, Pleks, ~DD)

if Kabs and Camps are the experienced puck movers who will help get things rolling a bit, watch out when The General returns - and he will return!

Funny, I am so optimistic about the rest of the season right now, but it's not because I actually think the team is finally playing up to its potential. It's because they are winning and scoring loser points even while struggling.

Note to the critics: if the team can amass these kind of points while struggling, it seems doubtful that JM's job is overly threatened. it just feels like it when he blows another third period lead is all :)

We wait as long as we can to make move. That gives us the clearest vision going forward and the best price. The best way to get better is to add at the top of the talent level. In a baseball analogy you add a number one starter, which pushes everyone back, and makes the whole group better. The second thing is you don't use this year as the only dimension you can get better in. It is getting your UFA's signed up or moved, if they are not part of it going into next year. You clear out the deadwood.

I'd say we dump age and contracts and rebuild, but looking at our previous draft I'm not so confident in the drafting of our team. Just in 2 years we could of feasibly had Getzlaf(or Carter or Perry or Parise), Shea Weber, Lucic, and Keith. Wouldn't we look pretty good now if we drafted those guys. Oh it's fun to dream.

Every team misses at the draft. Sure we failed at #1 picks but then made the most of later rounds. Every team has issues at the draft because it is almost a crap shoot.

to right the ship FIRE THE COACH NOW!!!!!!!!! lets see if the new coach can light a fire under these guy's i believe in this team that's what drives us crazy we are not this bad. next year we have to dump Gomez for almost anything and if not tell him he is a dog or will see all 82 games in the press box. Him playing doesn't help us or his value everyone knows what he is. He is a purse he needs to be carried!!!!