Some interesting Patrick Roy info

REV-G

<p>

Has any junior coach ever done well, going straight to head coach of a NHL team (let alone within an organization like the Habs)? Never has happened that i can recall? so why would it work now, especially given Roy's temperment?

For sure it would be entertaining, in a Tortarella sort of way, but not a smart move most likely. Be as crazy as having Don Cherry coach the leafs.

I made a list on the other page but Pat Burns would be one answer. Brent Sutter in Jersey would be another. Then you have Bylsma who had half a season in the AHL (what did he learn in half a year that he didn't know in junior?).

<p>

I made a list on the other page but Pat Burns would be one answer. Brent Sutter in Jersey would be another. Then you have Bylsma who had half a season in the AHL (what did he learn in half a year that he didn't know in junior?).

OK, i stand corrected, but still think would not be best move, but would be the total opposite of Martin and make for some fun interviews/press conferences, but i am sure Molson has his choice(s) already made.

I heard Martin was at a game yesterday (Ducks/Bruins) and is still scouting for Habs, a high paid one but i had thought he was gone.

I heard Martin was at a game yesterday (Ducks/Bruins) and is still scouting for Habs, a high paid one but i had thought he was gone.

If you fire a coach before the end of their contract, they are still entitled to their contract money. You simply have to find them a different role in the organization. Same goes with Ron Wilson in Toronto. Most goto work as pro scouts.

Someone (I think here?) said coaches should start a union due to how easy it is to fire them. It's nonsense because like I said, Martin still gets paid full money and now gets to do it by being sent around the league to watch hockey games. There's no easier job than being a fired coach.

OK, i stand corrected, but still think would not be best move, but would be the total opposite of Martin and make for some fun interviews/press conferences, but i am sure Molson has his choice(s) already made.

He was named a pro scout a few weeks after he was relieved of his duties as coach. They have to pay him either way. They did the same with Pearn. Not unusual, Hitchcock was a scout for Columbus when St. Louis hired him.

The Remparts Record under Roy

307W – 138L – 32 OTL

+ a memorial cup.

PTS Percentage .677 which translates out to 111 pts/82 games as an average.

The guy hasn't just been competitive in the QMJHL, he's excelled in it.

The Remparts Record under Roy

307W – 138L – 32 OTL

+ a memorial cup.

PTS Percentage .677 which translates out to 111 pts/82 games as an average.

The guy hasn't just been competitive in the QMJHL, he's excelled in it.

Has the team had top end talent during this time? Is there anyway he could just have been fortunate with the players? Or considering he functioned as gm as well did he draft the top end talent?

Has the team had top end talent during this time? Is there anyway he could just have been fortunate with the players? Or considering he functioned as gm as well did he draft the top end talent?

He was GM as well. The other thing to consider is that a decade of sustained competitiveness in JR hockey is very, very hard to achieve. The best teams are led by older players. The best teams pick last in the draft (like in the NHL). The older players don't stick around, they graduate. So most JR teams go through periods of 1-3 years of good and then 1-3 down years. To do what Roy's Remparts have been able to do and avoid the lull, is very rare.

He was GM as well. The other thing to consider is that a decade of sustained competitiveness in JR hockey is very, very hard to achieve. The best teams are led by older players. The best teams pick last in the draft (like in the NHL). The older players don't stick around, they graduate. So most JR teams go through periods of 1-3 years of good and then 1-3 down years. To do what Roy's Remparts have been able to do and avoid the lull, is very rare.

That is the impression I have got from the minors, so he has proven to be a more then effective gm at a level where the gm'ing role is very difficult to obtain consistent results, he has done this while coaching the team as well. I think this is a seriously good background. I hope he gets serious consideration.

For sure. One trend I've noticed is that teams with former NHL'ers as owners seem to be the ones to buck the trend (look at London for example). There have long been rumblings about those teams 'buying' players with max scholarship packages for the players and any of their siblings. I haven't seen too much speculation in the QMJHL about it but the accusations are more than prevalent in the OHL. I know they've had a rather good luck of imports over the years (Radulov, the Bashkirov's, Grigorenko, Stefanovich, even Kugryshev), one that probably can't be matched by any CHL squad. I'm a bit of a natural skeptic at heart so I have to wonder how they were able to hit so many home runs with the imports, knowing the speculation exists around the OHL I can't help but wonder if it comes into play in the other CHL leagues too. For me, that tarnishes things a bit but he more assuredly deserves some good credit for his success nonetheless.

For sure. One trend I've noticed is that teams with former NHL'ers as owners seem to be the ones to buck the trend (look at London for example). There have long been rumblings about those teams 'buying' players with max scholarship packages for the players and any of their siblings. I haven't seen too much speculation in the QMJHL about it but the accusations are more than prevalent in the OHL. I know they've had a rather good luck of imports over the years (Radulov, the Bashkirov's, Grigorenko, Stefanovich, even Kugryshev), one that probably can't be matched by any CHL squad. I'm a bit of a natural skeptic at heart so I have to wonder how they were able to hit so many home runs with the imports, knowing the speculation exists around the OHL I can't help but wonder if it comes into play in the other CHL leagues too. For me, that tarnishes things a bit but he more assuredly deserves some good credit for his success nonetheless.

Roy is a winner and will do anything to win. I want him on my team.

yes that is true and what we all want in a player but patrick as much as i love him is a compltely loose cannon. all you have to do is think about the remparts, very sucessfull but he is the owner gm coach and probably drives the team bus. This does not seem like a guy who will build a good team of coaches etc. that type of thing is not going to happen in habs land. the rumour is that as a coach in the nhl he wants control (veto power) of trades etc. could make working with a gm kind of tough.

yes that is true and what we all want in a player but patrick as much as i love him is a compltely loose cannon. all you have to do is think about the remparts, very sucessfull but he is the owner gm coach and probably drives the team bus. This does not seem like a guy who will build a good team of coaches etc. that type of thing is not going to happen in habs land. the rumour is that as a coach in the nhl he wants control (veto power) of trades etc. could make working with a gm kind of tough.

It would mean that the gm would have to know Roy, imo, and already have a relationship with Roy therefore being willing to work with him on matters involving the roster.

Interesting that this morning on a Toronto Sports talk show Jacques Demers was being interviewed and they asked him who he thought should be the next coach of the Canadiens. He said that for him it was obvious who the next coach should be. Patrick Roy. He said Patrick knows Montreal, is a very knowledgeable hockey man, is very competitive and wants to win and has worked hard at learning how to coach. He said he knows for a fact that while he has been coaching the Remparts Patrick has on at least 4 occassions called NHL coaches to ask them about certain areas of coaching. His final commment was if that if Montreal didn't hire Patrick, then he would end up coming here with another team and beating us. I was a little uncertain at first but I think that Patrick might be the right guy for us.

Interesting that this morning on a Toronto Sports talk show Jacques Demers was being interviewed and they asked him who he thought should be the next coach of the Canadiens. He said that for him it was obvious who the next coach should be. Patrick Roy. He said Patrick knows Montreal, is a very knowledgeable hockey man, is very competitive and wants to win and has worked hard at learning how to coach. He said he knows for a fact that while he has been coaching the Remparts Patrick has on at least 4 occassions called NHL coaches to ask them about certain areas of coaching. His final commment was if that if Montreal didn't hire Patrick, then he would end up coming here with another team and beating us. I was a little uncertain at first but I think that Patrick might be the right guy for us.

I think so too.

A little afraid of his temper but I think he would have control at the right times.

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance Alain Vigneault gets another kick at the can in Mtl if the Nucks go down in four and he is fired?

I would think so and would be very happy if he came over.

Vancouver is now down 3-0 in games. So the question is, if they lose this series 4-0 or if they just lose in the first round by whatever margin, is Vigneault's job in jeapordy?? I would have to say yes. They can't, and probably won't, change the core of the team, but if they get knocked out in the first round they likely will want to change something. So the coach may be the answer. He would then become my first choice to be our coach, by far!!

Vigneault's job will definitely be in jeopardy. It's a classic case where it'll be easier to fire the coach and hope a new guy can spark the team to glory than to reconstruct what is already a high-quality lineup. Vigneault has also had some conflict with Ryan Kesler. Could be time for a change there.

And yes, Vigneault would ABSOLUTELY be the best candidate to coach the Habs. It's called a no-brainer. He was an excellent coach with us the first time around, and has been an excellent coach with Vancouver. His resumé as a coach makes Patrick Roy's look like a piece of used toilet paper.

That being said, he will not be the best option for those who crave a carnival rather than winning hockey (which seems to represent about 50% of the fan base). Coach V. expects his teams to play a system and has been known to mix and match his lines, as well as favouring veterans in the crunch. He insists that rookies learn the game properly. All of this is to say his approach is fundamentally that of any good coach - and so it won't take long for same people who hated Martin to go absolutely batsh*t on Vigenault. :rolleyes:

Coach V. expects his teams to play a system and has been known to mix and match his lines, as well as favouring veterans in the crunch. He insists that rookies learn the game properly.

Oh hey, a coach who knows how to win games instead of just appease couch coaches.

Don't see any fear in his job.

Why not? If Alain can lose his after taking the team to the cup final, why not Bylsma? Pittsburgh has been knocked out in the first round two years in a row (if they lose this one) and upset by Montreal (as we know the 8th seed that year) in the second since they won. Its true he managed the team well in the seasons through injuries, but he hasn't had great results since the cup win playoff wise..

I hear the media jackals circling on Vigneault, and they have been for a while now.

Bylsma is still seen as one of the best coaches in the game, the guy who kept a team at the top without Crosby and Malkin.

This loss is gonna be blamed on one man and one man only... Marc Andre Fleury... and even he will escape with his job (though he might have a better backup than Brent Johnson next year.)

I'd be shocked if Bylsma takes serious heat for it.

It might contribute to knocking him down a peg or too and they'll expect results next year, but I dont see it meaning he's canned this year.

I live in Pittsburgh's market range - Bylsma is safe. Heck - I think Fleury is fine too. The fan base is focused more on hating the Flyers than examining their own failure - and I think that will last all summer. This summer anyways. Next year? Then I would imagine the heat is on.