Pacioretty Wins the Masterton

lazy26

Max Pacioretty has won the Bill Masterton Trophy as the "player who best exemplifies the qualities of perserverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey." The Montreal Canadiens forward defeated Joffrey Lupul and Daniel Alfredsson to win the award.

As well he should have. Congrats Max!

Well deserved, hopefully in a few years, Tinordi learns enough of the fighting game to beat the snot out of that moron Chara, still boggles my mind how that hit went unpunished.

Kudos for Patches for recovering so spiritedly from a brutal, premeditated act of attempted murder. And shame on Chara and the entire, disgusting NHL for putting him in this position in the first place.

• Upvote 2

Kudos for Patches for recovering so spiritedly from a brutal, premeditated act of attempted murder. And shame on Chara and the entire, disgusting NHL for putting him in this position in the first place.

Chara is a clean player who made one big err in 15 years, he tried to drill him into pole as pay back, but attempted murder is ludicrous.

But is super to see Max's great comeback be recognized, he seemed very happy.

If the tape is out there of the nominees section, listen closely to the phrasing for each. Alfredsson came back from a serious back injury, Lupul from two back injuries and blood clotting, and Pacioretty recovered from a check. (Don't quote me on these specifically, going off memory here...) I get that they're not going to call it a vicious check (they obviously had to choose their words carefully) but don't demean what he recovered from by neglecting to mention it; that is more or less what the Masterton is about nowadays.

If the tape is out there of the nominees section, listen closely to the phrasing for each. Alfredsson came back from a serious back injury, Lupul from two back injuries and blood clotting, and Pacioretty recovered from a check. (Don't quote me on these specifically, going off memory here...) I get that they're not going to call it a vicious check (they obviously had to choose their words carefully) but don't demean what he recovered from by neglecting to mention it; that is more or less what the Masterton is about nowadays.

Alfredsson : recovered from offeseason back surgery...

Lupul : overcame 2 back surgeries and a blood infection that almost ended his career...

Pac : returned after an injury who ended his 2010-11 season...

Chara is a clean player who made one big err in 15 years, he tried to drill him into pole as pay back, but attempted murder is ludicrous.

But is super to see Max's great comeback be recognized, he seemed very happy.

Legally, you are correct. Involuntary manslaughter would be a more accurate description of what we came within a fraction of an inch of witnessing. Chara is a 'clean' player who made one premeditated and catastrophically irresponsible decision to place a fellow player's life at extreme risk. You know, if I decide to run you over with my car and happen 'only' to severely injure you, I doubt that my previously spotless record carries all that much weight - nor should it. Chara should have had the book thrown at him. But the NHL prefers to give players one free shot at another player's life.

Legally, you are correct. Involuntary manslaughter would be a more accurate description of what we came within a fraction of an inch of witnessing. Chara is a 'clean' player who made one premeditated and catastrophically irresponsible decision to place a fellow player's life at extreme risk. You know, if I decide to run you over with my car and happen 'only' to severely injure you, I doubt that my previously spotless record carries all that much weight - nor should it. Chara should have had the book thrown at him. But the NHL prefers to give players one free shot at another player's life.

We cant be farther apart in point of views and it is history now but;

Absolutely zero diff as Scott Stevens laying out Lindros or Kariya, whom on both he tried to remove head and seriously injure (which he did, we now know).

And clean slate always plays a part in judicial hearings.

And if Pacioretty tries to embarrass Chara, he should of known to keep his head up and expect some payback if not willing to drop the gloves with him. It is a contact league that encourages fighting and the most visious hits make sportscentre every day. So what is big deal!

Torres made a totally clean open ice hit and gets book tossed at him, only because he didnt have a clean slate (and not a superstar). NHL just makes up rules as they go along to maximize $$, it is just entertainment, it dosent have to make sense or be fair, it is all about $$ at end of day (sweep Chara incident under rug).

Player safety will not even be discussed during the CBA i bet. Players wil just want 50+% of $$ and if get that they will be all happy.

It was just an accident which will be repeated bout 1 /year.

But i bet you cheered every big hit Subban made when running over someone who never saw him coming and each one of his hits could kill/paralyze. So cant really cheer aggressive hitting and condem only when turns out the worst can you? Seems a lot hypocritical.

Do you ever see Chara run at anyone before or after Max's hit, never, if he did take a run at; say, Kromwall and caught him with head down, as Kromwall, Subban or Phaneuf do to many forwards, it wouldnt be pretty.

And even today i bet Chara is one of most repectful and respected players in the game.

Time to turn the page and hope Pacioretty plays super for next 10 years as Cole has done. and put injury/accident to bed.

Absolutely zero diff as Scott Stevens laying out Lindros or Kariya, whom on both he tried to remove head and seriously injure (which he did, we now know).

And if Pacioretty tries to embarrass Chara, he should of known to keep his head up and expect some payback if not willing to drop the gloves with him. It is a contact league that encourages fighting and the most visious hits make sportscentre every day. So what is big deal!

Torres made a totally clean open ice hit and gets book tossed at him, only because he didnt have a clean slate (and not a superstar). NHL just makes up rules as they go along to maximize $$, it is just entertainment, it dosent have to make sense or be fair, it is all about $$ at end of day (sweep Chara incident under rug).

Player safety will not even be discussed during the CBA i bet. Players wil just want 50+% of $$ and if get that they will be all happy.

But i bet you cheered every big hit Subban made when running over someone who never saw him coming and each one of his hits could kill/paralyze. So cant really cheer aggressive hitting and condem only when turns out the worst can you? Seems a lot hypocritical.

Do you ever see Chara run at anyone before or after Max's hit, never, if he did take a run at; say, Kromwall and caught him with head down, as Kromwall, Subban or Phaneuf do to many forwards, it wouldnt be pretty.

And even today i bet Chara is one of most repectful and respected players in the game.

Time to turn the page and hope Pacioretty plays super for next 10 years as Cole has done. and put injury/accident to bed.

Right. Your argument is that, indeed, 'good guys' are allowed one free act of reckless endangerment sufficient to permanently cripple or kill an opponent. This policy is guaranteed recipe to leave a corpse or a paraplegic on the ice, sooner or later - not as a result of some freak play, but as a result of some arsehole's deciding to take advantage of the free pass the NHL and its enablers are handing out. It's like the Enbridge pipeline: spills are guaranteed. And anyone supporting it is by definition accepting the inevitability of those spills. Similarly, supporting the NHL's current approach to life-altering hits is tantamount to supporting the inevitable side-effect, which is the killing and/or maiming of hockey players.

You bet I cheer big hits. Big, clean hits. Ramming a guy's face into the stantion is not a clean hit. It's reckless endangerment of another man's life. I have absolute and remorseless contempt for Chara's act, as I do for Scott Stevens's disgusting (and shamefully celebrated) head-hunting, Cooke's assault on Savard, Marchand's despicable can-opener on Mason Raymond, the brutal hit on Crosby, Weber's attack on Zetterberg, and all that other garbage that has absolutely no place, anywhere, including hockey rinks.

And if Pacioretty tries to embarrass Chara, he should of known to keep his head up and expect some payback

That's right folks. Embarrass a grown man and you should expect them to find the first opportunity to try and cripple you. That's just the way life works!

• Upvote 1

Right. Your argument is that, indeed, 'good guys' are allowed one free act of reckless endangerment sufficient to permanently cripple or kill an opponent. This policy is guaranteed recipe to leave a corpse or a paraplegic on the ice, sooner or later - not as a result of some freak play, but as a result of some arsehole's deciding to take advantage of the free pass the NHL and its enablers are handing out. It's like the Enbridge pipeline: spills are guaranteed. And anyone supporting it is by definition accepting the inevitability of those spills. Similarly, supporting the NHL's current approach to life-altering hits is tantamount to supporting the inevitable side-effect, which is the killing and/or maiming of hockey players.

You bet I cheer big hits. Big, clean hits. Ramming a guy's face into the stantion is not a clean hit. It's reckless endangerment of another man's life. I have absolute and remorseless contempt for Chara's act, as I do for Scott Stevens's disgusting (and shamefully celebrated) head-hunting, Cooke's assault on Savard, Marchand's despicable can-opener on Mason Raymond, the brutal hit on Crosby, Weber's attack on Zetterberg, and all that other garbage that has absolutely no place, anywhere, including hockey rinks.

Cook's was a clean hit (as was Pacioretty's and Torres) , Marchand can-opener? miised that one (another Bruin broke Raymonds back but wasnt Marchand and was just an acident also), Crosby never has been brutally hit that i can remember?, Weber got bit carried away, but not suspendable so says Shanahan.

I might agree with a bit of what you say, but like Bull riding, it is a big boys game, are well paid and if NHL players had more than high school education they may even realize that they are unionized and worker safety is in their hands to fight for, but they dont bother, so why should we care?

Like you say, you like when Subban knocked an unsuspecting Adam Larsson off balance and shoved him backwards into boards to put him out of action with back injury for 10 games, you call that clean eh? Could of easily broke his back and by your wording, some (me) could even call that reckless endangerment,, So wouldnt you agree there is a gray area when split decisions are made in a sport as fast as NHL and some will not be good ones, but is the way it is and up to players themselves to speak up for changes.

You lost me there. Don't even want to read any further. Torres jumped and threw his elbow right at Hossa's head.

You lost me there. Don't even want to read any further. Torres jumped and threw his elbow right at Hossa's head.

It's around 1:01 you can pause and see Torres way off the ice.

Some people have this deathly fear of the game getting wimpified if we keep punishing players for breaking the rules of the game.

It's around 1:01 you can pause and see Torres way off the ice.

Some people have this deathly fear of the game getting wimpified if we keep punishing players for breaking the rules of the game.

he couldnt have his elbow tucked against his side anymore if he tried? Not sure what other video you saw, but this one shows a clean hit to me. Hossa had head down and paid the price.

That's right folks. Embarrass a grown man and you should expect them to find the first opportunity to try and cripple you. That's just the way life works!

You should not laugh at someone and give them a playful shove when they try to trash talk you. Especially if they are trying to trash talk you after you scored an OT winner.

Have some respect for a veteran, you ROOKIE!

he couldnt have his elbow tucked against his side anymore if he tried? Not sure what other video you saw, but this one shows a clean hit to me. Hossa had head down and paid the price.

1) The Hit Was WAY ######ING LATE... PUCK WAS LONG GONE.

2) Torres clearly left the ice.

1+ 2 = DIRTY HIT

You should not laugh at someone and give them a playful shove when they try to trash talk you. Especially if they are trying to trash talk you after you scored an OT winner.

Have some respect for a veteran, you ROOKIE!

1) The Hit Was WAY ######ING LATE... PUCK WAS LONG GONE.

2) Torres clearly left the ice.

1+ 2 = DIRTY HIT

disagree puck long gone and even slow mo shows shoulder to chest, so not head hunting, if shoulder hit head i would agree, but Ovechkin from behind, leaving feet and head shot was 100X worse. Hossa just got caught with head down digging for puck. clean hit by me.

Reason Chara has a clean record is that the refs and league have been allowing him to get away with BS.

Doesn't anyone remember the playoffs where Lucic pummeled Komi. The bruins were targeting Komi through the series and in one of the scrums, chara grabbed Komi and pulled hom down from behind and started pummeling Komi with his gloves still on. A real gentlemanly move!! If I remember correctly chara only hot 2 min for the usual bruins BS play.

You gotta be friggin kidding me!!!

Well deserved, hopefully in a few years, Tinordi learns enough of the fighting game to beat the snot out of that moron Chara, still boggles my mind how that hit went unpunished.

If the Habs wan to rectify that problem they can do so this year. John Scott is a UFA. The guy can barely skate albeit better than BGL, has no shot, has no hockey sense but he can fight and fight well. And wihout looking I think he's something like 6'7 or 6'8? So if we wanted to waste a roster spot and have a prototypical goon as like the 14th forward then $500-600k gets that done.

With that said you know MG is going to hire some grit on that 4th line. Not sure if Staubitz will return but we'll have another guy like that.

So if Therrien who is a fiery coach wants to play that game agsint the Bruins instead of just focusing on our own talents then we'll throw out Scott, Staubitz, maybe Moen if he returns and White and we'll have an old fashion scrap.

Scott on Chara, Staubitz on Lucic, Moen on Thornton, White on Campbell........but this is not the hockey I want to see.