Who takes on a bigger role in 2012-13?

dlbalr

This year, assuming it actually gets underway, there are a few players who could exceed expectations and become a key piece for Montreal to add to the core group that currently exists. Lars Eller, Alexei Emelin, and Louis Leblanc are all youngsters that come to mind (players who we hope will be in that core group and could take that next step now) while veterans like Brian Gionta, Tomas Kaberle, Scott Gomez, and Rene Bourque are all looking to bounce back from disappointing years. Who do you think will step up?

I'm going to use this as an ATB (Around the Boards) piece on the site sometime this week, I'll add my own prediction at that time if anyone's wondering.

I think Lars Eller is ready to take the next step. However the lineup as currently constructed makes it very difficult for him to do so.

If the Habs find a 2nd line LW (pushing Bourque to the third line with Eller)... or if the Habs find someone else to play on Eller's line (ie Leblanc, Gallagher, or Palushaj step up)... then he can really provide some nice secondary scoring. If he ends up on a line with some combo of Armstrong, Moen, and Prust as both his wingers, its going to be tough.

On Defence, I think PK may not have a bigger role, tough to have a bigger role than he had... but I think he is gonna have a big jump in points to the 45 - 50 points range.

I think Lars Eller is ready to take the next step. However the lineup as currently constructed makes it very difficult for him to do so.

If the Habs find a 2nd line LW (pushing Bourque to the third line with Eller)... or if the Habs find someone else to play on Eller's line (ie Leblanc, Gallagher, or Palushaj step up)... then he can really provide some nice secondary scoring. If he ends up on a line with some combo of Armstrong, Moen, and Prust as both his wingers, its gonna be tough.

On Defence, I think PK may not have a bigger role, tough to have a bigger role than he had... but I think he is gonna have a big jump in points to the 45 - 50 points range.

Gomez on then 2nd line... :ph34r:

All depends on who ends up as his wingers but with the addition of Prust & Armstrong taking over some of his defensive duties and coming off a couple of subpar seasons I'm looking for a strong bounceback year from Plekanec

If he can return to 70 points I think we'll be in good shape

Believe it or not, I think the Plekanec-Gionta-Bourque line will step it up, Bourque in particular. I think Plekanec will have to be relieved of some of his PK duties, they need goals from this line, and all three have something to prove this season. Bourque may be a dog, but I wouldn't want to deal with both the Bell Centre fans and Michel Therrien, he'll have a much better season. He has the skills, hopefully Therrien demanding toughness out of his players will bring his intensity back.

Rene Bourque's expectations are not very high this year as many have thrown him under the bus. He has had horrible production since he's come to Montreal. There is nowhere to go but up with him, from what we got last year. With the uncertainty of line up combos just yet, and the ever present reality of injuries, he could find himself some top line minutes at some point in the season.

I think Emelin will quietly step up and be Montreal's defensive rock. Subban will get all the press, but I think Emelin will be the defensive stud. We know he can hit, but this year would hope to see him playing more physical and really clearing the front of the net. My pick is that he will be first on Carey Price's Christmas Card list.

(null)

I think Emelin will quietly step up and be our defensive rock. Subban will get all the press, but I think Emelin will be our defensive stud. We know he can hit, but this year would hope to see him playing more physical and really clearing the front of the net. My pick is that he will be first on Carey Price's Christmas Card list.

(null)

Emelin's put up decent points elsewhere, even led the 2006 WJC in D scoring and at this years WC he had 4 pts in 9 GP

Think paired with a healthy Markov 20-30 points isn't out of reach

I agree, although a shortened season may not help the 20-30 point target, but what I really hope is that he steps up defensively and becomes a nasty crease clearing d.

(null)

I'm gonna go a little off base with my projection. I think this is the year Gomez gets out of his funk. Its just a matter of where he plays. If the sticks with the team I can see him getting 45-55 points which would be a big step up from the 11 he got last year. With Therrien at the helm preaching hard work he might find a way. He also knows this would be his last chance with the Habs because the guy sitting at the GM chair wasnt the one who traded for him. Yes Gauthier didnt trade for him either but he was around when Gainey did and knowing Gauthier he still thinks it was a great move. He is 32 years old which is not too old. He also has a career high of 84 points which is not too shabby either. He has the skills and the heart. If he ends up finding himself in the AHL the Bulldogs will get a player determined to get back in the NHL. I could see him putiing up 65 to 80 points there. Getting those points will give him the confidence that he can still score. This is wishful thinking on my part but if he is given the chance I feel that he can do it.

I'm gonna go a little off base with my projection. I think this is the year Gomez gets out of his funk. Its just a matter of where he plays. If the sticks with the team I can see him getting 45-55 points which would be a big step up from the 11 he got last year. With Therrien at the helm preaching hard work he might find a way. He also knows this would be his last chance with the Habs because the guy sitting at the GM chair wasnt the one who traded for him. Yes Gauthier didnt trade for him either but he was around when Gainey did and knowing Gauthier he still thinks it was a great move. He is 32 years old which is not too old. He also has a career high of 84 points which is not too shabby either. He has the skills and the heart. If he ends up finding himself in the AHL the Bulldogs will get a player determined to get back in the NHL. I could see him putiing up 65 to 80 points there. Getting those points will give him the confidence that he can still score. This is wishful thinking on my part but if he is given the chance I feel that he can do it.

There you go.

Gutsy post. But 45-55 points is NOT what we need from Gomer Pyle. We can get more production out of Desharnais and Plekanec. So unless you see him getting those points in a fourth-line role, I'd rather see that ice time go to Eller.

I would look to those who had no training camp last fall to showed marked improvement

with both Eller and Leblanc coming in bigger and stronger.

and of course Markov is a given and Gorges should be 1/2 step quicker and better than ever.

But Eller will end up at 2nd line centre by end of season, so he is the winner.

Gutsy post. But 45-55 points is NOT what we need from Gomer Pyle. We can get more production out of Desharnais and Plekanec. So unless you see him getting those points in a fourth-line role, I'd rather see that ice time go to Eller.

Gomez - Plex - Gionta :ph34r: