Round 1 Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Can't score. Only 3 teams in the whole league scored fewer goals, and none of them are playoff teams.

If Craig Anderson remembers he's Craig Anderson, and Carey price remembers he's Carey price, this could be over in 4 to be honest.

This is exactly how I feel. Get to Anderson and have Price play like Carey Price can play.

Anderson steals 1 game, Habs in 5.

Big postseason for Eller. He's the guy, and with the kids... look out!

So predictions?

Game 1: OTT 2 MTL 3 - This one may go to OT, first round first game jitters, gonna be a 1 goal game

Game 2: OTT 1 MTL 3 - Price and the rookie are going to settle in, one or both rookies(Chucky & Gally) are going to get their first playoff point.

Game 3: MTL 0 OTT 2 - Anderson is going to be fantastic, we're going to outshoot the Sens, but not get any.

Game 4: MTL 4 OTT 3 - We're going to get a 2 or 3 goal lead and see it dwindle, but we will hold on. This may be overtime.

Game 5: OTT 5 MTL 1 - On the ropes, Sens are going to have a huge game, pinning us in our zone most of the game.

Game 6: MTL 4 OTT 1 - Tired from the burst of effort to stay alive in the previous game, Sens will play a good game, but not get many real good chances.

4-2 Montreal wins series.

Thank God! I was really worried for a while there!!

I will sacrifice a goat to the hockey gods tonight. They have demanded this of me! ;)

Just one!!? Cheap round!

This is exactly how I feel. Get to Anderson and have Price play like Carey Price can play.

Anderson steals 1 game, Habs in 5.

Big postseason for Eller. He's the guy, and with the kids... look out!

I would love to see an impact from the rookies, but history has shown that this is where the vets shine. I expect Gio, Ryder, Moen, Markov and Gorges to step up. Plek will be busy playing shut down and fans and media will lament his under performing. Poor guy is the best forward on the team and gets the hardest assignments. His line may not dominate the score sheet, but they have to be a factor on the defensive side of things.

I would love to see an impact from the rookies, but history has shown that this is where the vets shine. I expect Gio, Ryder, Moen, Markov and Gorges to step up. Plek will be busy playing shut down and fans and media will lament his under performing. Poor guy is the best forward on the team and gets the hardest assignments. His line may not dominate the score sheet, but they have to be a factor on the defensive side of things.

Veterans have the advantage of knowing what it takes to win in the playoffs. That said, rookies with a never say die attitude adapt immediately. Gallagher is exactly that. Galchenyuk might struggle at times. Gallagher is going to be like Shayne Corson I feel, an immediate contributor to the playoffs. Not saying he'll become Corson just talking about immediate playoff contribution.

Sportsnet had a few stats about Therrien worth a mention:

- The last time Therrien coached in a playoff series, Paul MacLean was on the opposition bench (with Detroit).

- Therrien has coached against only one opponent multiple times - you guessed it, Ottawa.

- Therrien has the third highest postseason winning percentage amongst coaches in the playoffs. (Fourth is the coach who replaced him, Dan Bylsma.)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mendes-on-canadiens-vs-senators-ten-quirky-facts/

Sportsnet had a few stats about Therrien worth a mention:

- The last time Therrien coached in a playoff series, Paul MacLean was on the opposition bench (with Detroit).

- Therrien has coached against only one opponent multiple times - you guessed it, Ottawa.

- Therrien has the third highest postseason winning percentage amongst coaches in the playoffs. (Fourth is the coach who replaced him, Dan Bylsma.)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mendes-on-canadiens-vs-senators-ten-quirky-facts/

Those are all pretty interesting!

Well, Price is playing to his playoff standard (a bit low, but check his stats, a sub .900 average is not unusual for him).

Anderson is playing like Anderson, the best goalie up to his injury this year.

Eller is done.

Looking like a 5 game series all right.:(

Just for the record, Price and Anderson have the same career regular season save percentage at .915

Unfortunately, Anderson plays better in the playoffs with a career playoff save percentage of .936, while Price does worse at .906

Prices best one year playoff save percentage just equals Anderson's average... It appears Ottawa has the best goalie.

Just for the record, Price and Anderson have the same career regular season save percentage at .915

Unfortunately, Anderson plays better in the playoffs with a career playoff save percentage of .936, while Price does worse at .906

Prices best one year playoff save percentage just equals Anderson's average... It appears Ottawa has the best goalie.

Series is far from over.

But in game 1 yes.

It also appears the playoff sample size is exceptionally small.

It isn't that small at all. Price played well last night but he has to do it consistently to improve his stats and show he is a playoff goalie.

Series is far from over.

But in game 1 yes.

People slag Anderson like he is crap and just having a lucky season or something. He is actually a great goalie and right now, better then Price. Now he has a few years on Price so Price can still mature and get more consistent, but right now Price has to at the top of his game to compete with Anderson.

With any luck, this will be the playoffs Price puts it all together as we have a good team in front of him. Of course, it's also the year you have to go through the pens to get to the finals...

Yes, Anderson seems sorely underrated. But this playoff may be putting that to rest.

Price has had two poor playoffs and one excellent one - 2010 doesn't really count even though his numbers are bad, because he was a backup - but I'm inclined the excuse the two earlier ones as growing pains from a youngster. The post-Halak Price is 1-0 in terms of strong playoffs.

Nevertheless, the Price boosters have to accept that he has NOT proven he can consistently deliver ace netminding in the crunch at the NHL level, and that his history leaves some room for doubt; just as the Price haters have to accept that the excellent 2011 series actually happened.

I'm stating the obvious, but this playoff will be important for establishing his rep as a clutch performer. So far the verdict is still uncertain.

Yes, Anderson seems sorely underrated. But this playoff may be putting that to rest.

Price has had two poor playoffs and one excellent one - 2010 doesn't really count even though his numbers are bad, because he was a backup - but I'm inclined the excuse the two earlier ones as growing pains from a youngster. The post-Halak Price is 1-0 in terms of strong playoffs.

Nevertheless, the Price boosters have to accept that he has NOT proven he can consistently deliver ace netminding in the crunch at the NHL level, and that his history leaves some room for doubt; just as the Price haters have to accept that the excellent 2011 series actually happened.

I'm stating the obvious, but this playoff will be important for establishing his rep as a clutch performer. So far the verdict is still uncertain.

Yup, too any people either anoint, or hate. This is a pivotal series for Price. He is 50:50 so far, but lots of hockey to play. That said, he needs to be on a short leash if he doesn't look right in a game. This is about the team now, not Price's development.

Yup, too any people either anoint, or hate. This is a pivotal series for Price. He is 50:50 so far, but lots of hockey to play. That said, he needs to be on a short leash if he doesn't look right in a game. This is about the team now, not Price's development.

Short leash like to be pulled from a game?

If Price plays like he did last game, its Habs in 6, maybe 5. I believe the rest of the team is much better than the Sens. Got to give it to Anderson though, he might be the best goalie in the league right now.

If Price plays like he did last game, its Habs in 6, maybe 5. I believe the rest of the team is much better than the Sens. Got to give it to Anderson though, he might be the best goalie in the league right now.

We do seem to be the better team, and a strong Price should indeed make the difference. That said, the Sens got the split despite being dominated to an unheard-of degree for half of Game One - which is exactly what needs to happen for an inferior team to win a series. Habs cannot afford any sort of let-up, whether it be from Price or from, say, White (keep hammering, avoid taking stupid penalties), Tinordi (playing great so far), Desharnais (showed signs of waking up last game), PK (best player in the entire playoffs so far), etc.. Build on Game Two and take these jerks by the throat!!

The Sens are not that inferior from us. We played a much better game 2 and also got better goaltending.

We may have got a lot more shots in game 1, but a lot of them were lower quality shots. We also were not as physical as we needed to be. I think given our injuries in game 1 and how Price played, the Sens probably came in over-confident and I think MT did a masterful job preparing the team emotionally for the game.

There isn't as much of of a difference between the two teams though. I would say we have the edge, but the difference isn't like when the Caps and Pens were clearly the stronger teams.

We do seem to be the better team, and a strong Price should indeed make the difference. That said, the Sens got the split despite being dominated to an unheard-of degree for half of Game One - which is exactly what needs to happen for an inferior team to win a series. Habs cannot afford any sort of let-up, whether it be from Price or from, say, White (keep hammering, avoid taking stupid penalties), Tinordi (playing great so far), Desharnais (showed signs of waking up last game), PK (best player in the entire playoffs so far), etc.. Build on Game Two and take these jerks by the throat!!

Exactly... too early to make determinations on a small sample size that is highly skewed by 2008 and 2009 games played at 20 and 21 years old.

I usually agree with CC... but not on this one.

When you score 1 goal, and leave your goalie out to dry on 5/6 goals against.... I don't look at the goalie.

Consider that the two goalies were even tonight 1-1 in bad goals against.

I knew the Price haters would be out but this game had very little to do with him and a lot to do with our team losing their composure completely. He maybe could have made it closer but our guys just lost their focus.

I usually agree with CC... but not on this one.

When you score 1 goal, and leave your goalie out to dry on 5/6 goals against.... I don't look at the goalie.

Consider that the two goalies were even tonight 1-1 in bad goals against.

It was more the timing of the third goal that got my goat. Killer.

That said, this wasn't "Price's fault." He wasn't "the" problem, but he sure wasn't the solution either.

Anyway, turn the page. A game like that is best forgotten all around. If they are healthy enough to do so, I expect the Habs to come back next time with the kind of tight, focused, hard-working hockey that has defined this team all season long.