Post - Mortem Positivity Thread

Commandant

If you told me 1 year ago that.

1) Subban would become a Norris Contender this season.

2) We'd draft an 18 year old forward who would play in the NHL and outscore Tyler Seguin's rookie season in 30 less games.

3) We'd have a Calder Contender in Gallagher.

4) Eller, Emelin, and Diaz would have breakout years.

5) Bourque would look useful.

6) Gomez would be a distant memory.

7) The team would finish first in the division.

8) Markov would prove he could stay healthy.

9) We'd have 3 draft picks in the top 36 in the 2013 draft.

But we'd lose in 5 games in the first round.

I'd have taken it.

• Upvote 2

^well said^

After last year's disaster, this was an amazing season that showed many bright spots in the organization. I few injuries showcased lack of depth that likely cost us a chance at a solid playoff run, but with some players exiting and those draft picks, that can be addressed by the GM this offseason. Things are definitely looking up.

It was a great year! I enjoyed watching the regular season (but hated the playoffs).

I agree that there's a lot to be positive about heading into year two of the Marc Bergevin era. We're sitting in a good spot with:

- young talent on the roster

- cap space in 2013

- incoming prospects

- draft picks in 2013

Looking forward to next year.

Remember, some of our lack of depth was intentional, in that MB didn't load up at the deadline.

I am glad he didn't. I think he saw that this wasn't our year and that anything we did in the playoffs was a bonus. He couldn't have imagined we would be down this many guys. I think he wants to build the team by making more permanent moves then losing draft picks for rentals.

While I think he made a mistake with DD, overall I like his strategy and most of his moves so far. Adding a few vets will help, but I am only trading picks to get a good young player (almost impossible). We are just going to have to be patient for our youth to grow and take more key roles on the team. In might be three more years,

Exactly the type of thread i would have started. Focus on the positives. Yes, with the current roster we have and all the young players coming up it makes for potentially an exciting time. But as we all know, nothing is guaranteed in sports. We did finish second in the conference after all, so there is only one spot to go up from here. Keep that in mind. It was a shortened season but still, we had the luxury of following a team that won more than lost. Most fans predicted a losing season and were pleasantly surprised. There is no way anyone can be disappointed with this season.

The future is bright.

And compared to Gainey Rebuild 1.0 - the Higgins - Komisarek group we were all so optimistic about - it is much stronger. A Norris candidate, a rookie of the year candidate, an elite 3rd-overall talent, and a number of other blue-chippers in the mix.

This season is one to grow on.

I think we have the same basic issue as Vancouver... We are a fast, skilled team that does fine in the regular season, but we are too small and soft for the playoffs, where things get physical and whistles go away.

The young core is great to build on, but we need to add size and toughness down the middle and on D. I would also like to see us get a young, good goalie prospect that is expected to be a number one goalie at some point.

On the plus side, PK, Gally, and Chucky show they are going to be key elements going forward. Eller looks much better, but I still see him as a 2/3 center, but a good one. I like that he was more physical. Tinordi looks good if he adds some weight and gets a bit meaner. I think Pacs will be fine when healthy. The only real mistake was locking up DD, but everyone makes mistakesill .

It will be interesting to see how MB reworks the vets around the core to improve. I don't mind a trade involving a prospect if it can bring a decent young asset that fits in. Nothing will be free.

Good post Commandant. It's important to put things in perspective. Therrien referred to that in his postgame interview. Lots of work still to be done, but a step in the good direction. A hell of step if you ask me.

I think I'd be optomistic too re the potential of goalie Dustin Tokarski and defenseman Greg Pateryn who impressed me much more this year in Hamilton than the more highly publicized Tinordi

I think I'd be optomistic too re the potential of goalie Dustin Tokarski and defenseman Greg Pateryn who impressed me much more this year in Hamilton than the more highly publicized Tinordi

Hes also 3 years older I'd hope so

I think that one positive not mentioned yet is Therrien. It was mentioned after the line brawl and late timeout that he was much more reserved and level-headed behind the bench, definitely not the same guy who had been behind the habs bench before. I didn't like the choice when it was first announced, but it paid off in spades, and credit should also go to Gerard Gallant, JJ Daigneault and the rest of the coaches. They did a fantastic job in getting the rookies to play roles where they could have success, didn't over-expose them, and got everyone on the same page (for the first three months anyway). Everyone's expectations will be a little higher for next season, and the mistakes of this year will not be forgotten.

Exactly the type of thread i would have started. Focus on the positives. Yes, with the current roster we have and all the young players coming up it makes for potentially an exciting time. But as we all know, nothing is guaranteed in sports. We did finish second in the conference after all, so there is only one spot to go up from here. Keep that in mind. It was a shortened season but still, we had the luxury of following a team that won more than lost. Most fans predicted a losing season and were pleasantly surprised. There is no way anyone can be disappointed with this season.

yeah I agree with that

If you told me 1 year ago that.

1) Subban would become a Norris Contender this season.

2) We'd draft an 18 year old forward who would play in the NHL and outscore Tyler Seguin's rookie season in 30 less games.

3) We'd have a Calder Contender in Gallagher.

4) Eller, Emelin, and Diaz would have breakout years.

5) Bourque would look useful.

6) Gomez would be a distant memory.

7) The team would finish first in the division.

8) Markov would prove he could stay healthy.

9) We'd have 3 draft picks in the top 36 in the 2013 draft.

But we'd lose in 5 games in the first round.

I'd have taken it.

me toooooooooo

Also add that Therrien became a great coach! Who would have thought that? I have no idea how John Tortorella gets a nomination over him for the Jack Adams. The rangers were a huge disappointment with him behind the bench.

I think we have the same basic issue as Vancouver... We are a fast, skilled team that does fine in the regular season, but we are too small and soft for the playoffs, where things get physical and whistles go away.

With all due respect. We out played Ottawa, their goalie beat us not our size, or softness. That is 100% wrong. Montreal media BS at it's finest. Too small, too soft, too English.... Stop that crap. It wasn't the case. ANderson won the series, we didn't lose it. That is the fact few people seem to be getting.

By the way, we are about the same size Chicago and I don't hear anyone accusing them of being too small for the playoffs. That is a fact you won't read in a Montreal paper. That is based on figures before Tinordi and Blunden were added. We were bigger than them going into the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

that series was all Anderson and injuries.

personally I'm very happy about the year (wish the leafs had lost their series 4-1 as well, less headaches from leaf fans haha)

Guest Stogey24

Good thread. Lots to look forward to.

Chicago also went through a complete rebuild, won the cup, and is on their way again. We can't even be compared to Chicago and their skill level at this point.

Good thread. Lots to look forward to.

Chicago also went through a complete rebuild, won the cup, and is on their way again. We can't even be compared to Chicago and their skill level at this point.

Yes they have done that with a small fast talented team, like we are building. How can they not be too small for the playoffs if we are? Small and fast talent has won the cup. There is no arguing that. Bigger isn't really better, well except maybe to a woman...

Yes they have done that with a small fast talented team, like we are building. How can they not be too small for the playoffs if we are? Small and fast talent has won the cup. There is no arguing that. Bigger isn't really better, well except maybe to a woman...

what do you mean? Ive never heard that. :rolleyes:

SO I was at Houston's Bar and Grill in Quartier Dix30 last firday night, and guess who I bump into there? Gorges, Moen, Eller, Price, Bouillon and Gallagher. Told the boys we were proud of them then I left them alone. The Latendresse brothers were there are well, but I didn,t approach them...Guillaume looked like he was pretty wasted by the end of the evening!

Eller's face looked OK, considering what happened to him and the rest of the guys looked like they were pretty chill.

Awesome anecdote! It's significant for one thing in particular: that's a real mix of players - veterans, rookies, young guys, French, English, etc.. Past editions of the team seem to have had cliques based on things like age, language, or ethnicity. Add this to Pacioretty's comments about how this management group understands that the locker room is as important as the on-ice dynamics, and it really does appear that MB's plan of building a really tight, cohesive group is working.

With all due respect. We out played Ottawa, their goalie beat us not our size, or softness. That is 100% wrong. Montreal media BS at it's finest. Too small, too soft, too English.... Stop that crap. It wasn't the case. ANderson won the series, we didn't lose it. That is the fact few people seem to be getting.By the way, we are about the same size Chicago and I don't hear anyone accusing them of being too small for the playoffs. That is a fact you won't read in a Montreal paper. That is based on figures before Tinordi and Blunden were added. We were bigger than them going into the playoffs.

Don't project... When did I say too English.

Yes, our goalie let us down... It is no secret I feel that way. We out played them in several games, but the fact is we had no line capable of fighting through to the net and we were dropping like flies with injuries. That wasn't because we were big and tough. The one aspect that Ryder could not replace from Cole is net drive. Pacs was injured which left us with one player, Gally, willing to go hard to the net. That makes it easy to defend. Our D also struggled to clear the crease. A big, shut down defenseman capable of,big minutes would be a huge improvement. Gorges struggled in the role and Emelin was hurt. In other words, we lack depth in that role to effectively backfill Emelin.

It isn't just about height and weight, it is about toughness. Tinordi is big, he is not tough. Chicago has significantly more talent then us, which is how they compensate.

SO I was at Houston's Bar and Grill in Quartier Dix30 last firday night, and guess who I bump into there? Gorges, Moen, Eller, Price, Bouillon and Gallagher. Told the boys we were proud of them then I left them alone. The Latendresse brothers were there are well, but I didn,t approach them...Guillaume looked like he was pretty wasted by the end of the evening!

Eller's face looked OK, considering what happened to him and the rest of the guys looked like they were pretty chill.

Yeah, it's a shame we couldn't get by Ottawa as I suspect Eller would have been back. Of course, Price was done anyway.