Groulx let go as goalie coach, Stephane Waite named replacement

habs rule

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stogey24

I know, asshole thing to say lol. I really have faith in Carey though. Watch boys, it will all of the sudden click and price will be that elite goalie we all know he can be. I think kolzig would be an excellent tendy coach. I don't think it will happen though.

I think Kolzig would be the complete package in regards to Price.. on and off the ice. Gotta make it happen MB!

Some of the local media (RDS, La Presse) are trying to toss Stephane Waite's name into the ring. Waite is the current goalie coach in Chicago and his contract is up at the end of the season. However, the Blackhawks are a win away from the finals and their goalie is playing extremely well. I get the obvious connection (Bergevin coming from Chicago and Waite I'm sure speaks French) but why would the Hawks let him go?

Some of the local media (RDS, La Presse) are trying to toss Stephane Waite's name into the ring. Waite is the current goalie coach in Chicago and his contract is up at the end of the season. However, the Blackhawks are a win away from the finals and their goalie is playing extremely well. I get the obvious connection (Bergevin coming from Chicago and Waite I'm sure speaks French) but why would the Hawks let him go?

Why wouldn't he test the open market?

looking at his profile on black hawks page. He appears to be very qualified. He has been a hockey goalie coach for 30 years, he has been the hawks goalie coach for 10 years, Has been running schools since 88. He may be who MB had in mind when he let mr groulx go. Personally I have never heard of him, but that and a dollar will buy you a chocolate bar in most places.

Why wouldn't he test the open market?

He's been there for a while (10 years as noted above), I'm sure they've been fair to him and I don't think there are many people who'd want to leave a likely Cup finalist for a lateral move. I certainly could be wrong though.

Roland Melanson called out Groulx for allowing Price to 'deteriorate' over the course of his tenure with the team. It should be noted that Price's GAA was better in each year with Groulx than it was in his last year with Melanson while his SV% was better in 3 of the 4 seasons (the one that wasn't - this year - was the same as it was in Melanson's final season). In his interview, he also noted he'd be interested in the job...despite still currently being employed by Vancouver. Here's hoping the Habs stay away...

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?17355%C2'>

Guest Stogey24

I wouldn't call Waite coming to Montreal a lateral move. More of an opportunity. He's helped win two cups in Chicago. Why not come to a huge hockey market like Montreal and see if you can work your magic. Price is more than capable of being a franchise player. He may just need the right guy to lead him to the prize.

• 2 weeks later...

Stephane Waite will meet with Chicago management prior to the expiration of his contract on July 1st (I'm pretty sure that's still the deadline for executives even though the players can't sign until the 5th). If he gets to the market, I'm sure the Habs will be calling (I think there's a good chance he'll stay though).

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/waite-devra-reflechir-26062013

Price works out with Eli Wilson in the summers.

Wilson has said he doesn't want to be a full time goalie coach except if the right team asked, he wouldn't do it for just anybody... oh but he also said Montreal is one of the team's he'd go into full time coaching for.

First I heard of this guy was a couple of all star games ago because Thomas and Price knew each other form working with him and then again this year when they talked about Corey Crawford.

I honestly don't know how much a goalie coach can help Price because I do feel its between the ears, I know hes great and i'm sure he does too but he has to hate to lose and be in the ZONE far more often.

Stephane Waite will meet with Chicago management prior to the expiration of his contract on July 1st (I'm pretty sure that's still the deadline for executives even though the players can't sign until the 5th). If he gets to the market, I'm sure the Habs will be calling (I think there's a good chance he'll stay though).

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/waite-devra-reflechir-26062013

According to Stan Bowman, he's very confident that Waite will sign for Chicago.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201306/29/01-4666261-stephane-waite-restera-chez-les-hawks-soutient-stan-bowman.php

(link in french)

Well, evidently Waite didn't see leaving the Hawks, a team he has won two Cups with, to take the same job with Montreal as a lateral move. I didn't see that coming, nicely done by the Habs.

It can't be a bad thing. This will be Prices last chance for the next 2 years to see if he can meet his potential.

Wow! Incredible resume. Well done! MB is building quite the staff. Great organizational move.

(..you see ,Vinny.. you SEE!..)

Wow! Incredible resume. Well done! MB is building quite the staff. Great organizational move.

(..you see ,Vinny.. you SEE!..)

I'd give Molson big credit for this as well, obviously he offered alot more $$$

It can't be a bad thing. This will be Prices last chance for the next 2 years to see if he can meet his potential.

It will not be Price's "last chance." Despite fan over-reaction, he's still a good goalie as is. He's also still a very *young* goalie playing a position that matures later than any other. If we stopped comparing him to Roy and Brodeur et al, and started comparing him to contemporaries his age, I think we might be quite pleased. Such are the unrealistic expectations in Montreal.

Every year he's learned a little more. The second half of last season was tough, but that doesn't negate his very strong first half, it just says he struggled for the second half! Part of maturing is finding consistency. He has, and has shown, all the tools to be an elite goaltender. Patience. (I know, I know, bad word in Montreal. It's almost as bad as saying Houle or Tremblay or *shudder* Koivu.)

Carey needs confidence more than any technical teaching. He is a very sound technical goalie in my very limited opinion

Agreed. Price's problems aren't with his style or his skill set, it's in between the ears. I mean all we ever hear from Price in the media is how he can,t go out of his condo without attracting attention!

I get it, it can be frustrating, but dude, get over it! You're the biggest star in this city. You are the No.1 Goalie for the Habs. What did you think would happen? That everything would be hunky-dory like in B.C.?

Once Carey accepts the negatives that come with being a star, maybe his play will improve?!?!