2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Is Kevin Lowe still running the show in Edmonton? They need help on D so logically, they trade a stay-at-home d-man for a fringe NHL'er and a goalie prospect (a decent one at least). Ladislav Smid to Calgary for Roman Horak and Laurent Brossoit. That's a bit of a puzzler.

Edit: Edmonton also parts with G prospect Olivier Roy in the trade.

Speaking of the Canucks...what a lame franchise. Not only does having Stan Smyl and Markus Naslund hanging up there devalue the currency of retired sweaters, but the guy had a grand total of three 50+ goal seasons with that particular team, before leaving under a cloud of hostility. Was he a great player? Yeah. But three great years, plus a lockout-shortened, an injury-decimated, and a mediocre year does not a jersey-retirement-worthy player make - at least on a world-class franchise. But as was the case with the Naslund retirement, if you deliver 3 top-end seasons, that's enough for the Canuckleheads to retire your jersey. Not to mention that the ceremony kept referring to the fact that he is the ONLY Canuck in the Hall of Fame - which ought to be an embarassment to a 40-year-old franchise. Lame, lame, lame.

EDIT: and then there's the Avs' appalling decision to retire Adam Foote's sweater. What is going on in the NHL, such that jersey retirement has become totally devalued? ONLY ALL-TIME GREATS SHOULD HAVE THEIR JERSEY RETIRED. PERIOD.

I think Colorado retired Ray Bourques number didn't they?

I think Colorado retired Ray Bourques number didn't they?

That's ridiculous too, but at least they can make a sentimental case for it on the basis of how much he meant to a team that won the Cup. Not just "like, he was real good for a couple of years for us." We might as well retire #27 because Kovalev was brilliant for us in 2008.

That's ridiculous too, but at least they can make a sentimental case for it on the basis of how much he meant to a team that won the Cup. Not just "like, he was real good for a couple of years for us." We might as well retire #27 because Kovalev was brilliant for us in 2008.

I am not a Bourque fan one bit and think overrated player. He simply was on shitty teams with him as the only offense and he had all prime minutes and offense had to go through him, so he got highly inflated production and many had that in the 80s-90s.

You don't need to argue, I know 99.9% of fans love him, just my goofy opinion and he helped Habs win many a game over Bruins with his weak defense, so he wasn't all bad.

That Edmonton-Calgary trade makes no sense for either team. Especially Edmonton - they have horrible defense and traded one of their top 4. It seems like those two organization are the most incompetent, and they're in the same province.

I think Oilers arnt done, with another loss to fellow cellar dweller in Philly today.

Cant believe I am pulling for Bruins in any game, but easily dislike Leafs more.

Bure is at least the greatest player to ever play for Vancouver. I can understand it. Also Vancouver were idiots for not paying Bure whatever he wanted since they did it for Messier and got even less accomplished.

Yes Bure is team worthy, Hall of Fame, borderline (but better than Rod Langway)? I guess he should be there, had some wicked stats and highlight player.

But didn't really follow nor care about West teams at all back then, so don't remember why he went to Florida?

He went to Florida because he was unhappy there but much of it stemmed from how they treated him in contract negotiations.

Put it this way. Between Game 6 and 7 of the 1994 Cup Finals, the Canucks management started a rumour - totally false, apparently - that Bure was planning to sit Game 7 if his contract demands weren't met. That's how pathological things got.

Canucks have always been a bush-league franchise with bush-league fans to boot, but the past decade has seen marked improvement, at least when it comes to the former.

Put it this way. Between Game 6 and 7 of the 1994 Cup Finals, the Canucks management started a rumour - totally false, apparently - that Bure was planning to sit Game 7 if his contract demands weren't met. That's how pathological things got.

Canucks have always been a bush-league franchise with bush-league fans to boot, but the past decade has seen marked improvement, at least when it comes to the former.

I know lots of Canucks fans and don't agree with fan bit, or know what is diff between them or Flame-Oil-Jet-Sen fan? Leaf and Hab fans are different, but not necessarily "better". In fact it seems that bit of arrogance, is what pisss off other West team fans most.

I know lots of Canucks fans and don't agree with fan bit, or know what is diff between them or Flame-Oil-Jet-Sen fan? Leaf and Hab fans are different, but not necessarily "better". In fact it seems that bit of arrogance, is what pisss off other West team fans most.

I witnessed the fan reaction to the Bertuzzi incident (as well as endless ragging on the Sedins, until fairly recently). That's what turned me off this fan-base for all time. But you're right, most fanbases are morons. The thing that I find particularly irksome about Van fans is their attitude of victimization. It's so unfair that they haven't won a Cup. Poor babies, only a Cup final once every decade.

tough break for TB. Nobody likes to see one of the true stars of the game go down. God--- Here comes the Desharnais to TB rumours

Given that TB is one of those teams with a former Habs and/or French Canadian fetish, those rumours will make at least a modicum of sense ;)

I really question the wisdom of firing a seasoned GM in the midst of a season when many crucial decisions will be made for the franchise.

It might also be added that the Sabres' problems really started when this new owner horned in and inaugurated a moronic UFA frenzy that was totally foreign to the culture of the organization and didn't make much sense given Buffalo's lack of appeal as a UFA destination.

So my guess is that this franchise won't truly recover until they get a new owner. Get a clown at the top and you're in big, big trouble.

That said, props to Lafontaine for flipping the bird to the old boys' club and bringing back Ted Nolan.

It seemed like Regier was doing a good job getting full value for trades.

He did quite well with Pominville and Vanek. In mentioning the trades, you raise a good point. Ownership though enough of Regier to let him trade Vanek, their longest-tenured skater and co-captain just a couple of weeks ago. It seems a bit reactionary to turf him shortly thereafter. If they knew they were planning on letting him go, you don't let him make the trade.

It might also be added that the Sabres' problems really started when this new owner horned in and inaugurated a moronic UFA frenzy that was totally foreign to the culture of the organization and didn't make much sense given Buffalo's lack of appeal as a UFA destination.

It wasn't just a UFA frenzy, that's the same time they gave Myers that stupid deal coming off a bad season. And they even front-loaded that contract (a $10 million signing bonus), that was bidding against themselves and then some.

There's a lot of talk now that Nolan ingratiated himself with the owner and that that's how he got the job. If so, that's even more dire news for Sabres fans - pretty decisive proof you've got an inept, meddling owner, which to my mind is a fairly iron-clad guarantee that the franchise will stink for the long term. Which is fine by me, one more Conference rival the Habs don't have to worry about.