Most overrated/underrated Habs?

dlbalr

You said since Cole left. Cole left last season. Keep moving the goal posts around though.

Yeah, since Cole left and right through to present day, where was he last night? I know he is fresh off an injury, but if you are not ready to go 100% and contribute then take the requisite time to heal, this is not the playoffs and he will do further damage if not fully healed. Patches hasn't put up numbers and spends more time in recovery than playing. I like him and hope he returns to form as the team desperately needs the offensive contributions he has shown but I do not believe he is a legit sniper and shows no sign of using his size as a power forward. I believe Cole's ability to back the opposing defense in using his speed down the wing is a big part of Patches success as it opened space up inside the opposing zone, now Patches has to attack d who are holding the line and stifling his freedom of movement, prime example is his last injury as he chose to carry the puck into a well covered slot area into good coverage. Like I said, I hope he is able to be paired up with complimenting players, when the kids are a little better defensively it could be great to combine Gallagher's net crashing and forecheck, Galchenyuk's playmaking with Patches to perhaps re invigorate his goal scoring. As of the last four games the whole team looks overrated, joking. Go habs!

Is it just me? I think Pacioretty is looking damned good, blasting around defenders on the outside, constantly pressuring the D, getting chances. Granted, he hasn't been rewarded, but I think it's a matter of time. Not sure why people are ragging on him.

Is it just me? I think Pacioretty is looking damned good, blasting around defenders on the outside, constantly pressuring the D, getting chances. Granted, he hasn't been rewarded, but I think it's a matter of time. Not sure why people are ragging on him.

It's not just you. The fact he doesn't have a point in his three games since returning I think is partly to blame for his criticism.

Markov has entered a sort of hallowed ground for many people. Each zone clearance or successful puck battle has become a sublime work of brilliant artistry. He could adjust his jock strap and people would wonder at his economy of motion and superior hockey IQ.

It is criminal that this quote didn't make the Overrated Habs article.

Shame dlbalrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrog. Shaaaaaaaaaaame.

• Upvote 1

that really doesn't say much. Current roster + current year as far as this thread goes.

39 points in 44 games is pretty damn good.

People are ragging on everything today.

Pacioretty played a very good game last night.

In fact, call me crazy, but the Habs played a very good game last night.

No breaks, no bounces, and it was a loss... but if they played that well every night, we'd finish the year as a top team in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

It is criminal that this quote didn't make the Overrated Habs article.

Shame dlbalrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrog. Shaaaaaaaaaaame.

I thought about it but given Markov's play then relative to now, I'm not sure it necessarily still applies.

But you included Lovett's quote about Markov...

True. Because he was mentioned I felt obligated to throw it in there so I took the least drastic of the quotes (beyond the ones that just had a couple of words for an explanation).

I'd flip those two around.

I wouldn't, Moan has looked "quicker" or something this year and much more wiling to simply drop the gloves, but not that I dont appreciate White's effort when he is on the ice.

I might compare White to Darcy Tucker when he was a Hab.

True. Because he was mentioned I felt obligated to throw it in there so I took the least drastic of the quotes (beyond the ones that just had a couple of words for an explanation).

I actually think my quote was less drastic than the one used. Mine was about the way ordinary plays by Markov are interpreted as brilliant because we view him as a paragon of hockey smarts, while the one in the article says that 'Markov is a defensive liability and earns his meal ticket by passing to PK'. That's much harsher than the point I was making, which leaves more room for Markov to be a good player.

I wouldn't, Moan has looked "quicker" or something this year and much more wiling to simply drop the gloves, but not that I dont appreciate White's effort when he is on the ice.

I might compare White to Darcy Tucker when he was a Hab.

Tucker would be a good comparison, though Tucker had a scoring touch that White will never have.

I can see an argument for Moen being underrated because on most teams with less forward depth he'd be playing on the third line, like he used to with us. Now he plays fourth line. He's a better bottom six player than where he's regularly slotted. Ryan White is perfectly rated as a fourth line center. That said if you rate Moen as "bottom six" he's right where he needs to be.

Tucker would be a good comparison, though Tucker had a scoring touch that White will never have.

I can see an argument for Moen being underrated because on most teams with less forward depth he'd be playing on the third line, like he used to with us. Now he plays fourth line. He's a better bottom six player than where he's regularly slotted. Ryan White is perfectly rated as a fourth line center. That said if you rate Moen as "bottom six" he's right where he needs to be.

I don't remember Tucker having a "scoring touch" when he was with us. In fact, I recall him being EXACTLY like White. Controversial, sometimes accused of not being too bright, dumb penalties, etc.. This is not to say that White has the potentail to become Tucker, of course. Just that Tucker manifested his full potential only after he had been (sigh) stupidly tossed away as part of Houle's plan to discard every last scrap of talent from the era when the Habs were actually a competently-run organization, for minimal return.

The thing with Tucker though was that Tucker was a dominant junior player. He also lit it up in Fredericton. Ryan White scoring 20 goals would be bizarre. Darcy Tucker scoring 20 was only bizarre to those who thought his 100 games with the Habs was all he would ever show.

I don't know how so many people believe White is overrated.

He is a GREAT 4th liner and a great dressing room guy.

Are there any in here that believe he isn't those things?

I like White, but he has mental lapses that sometimes cost the team, which is annoying to get from a 4th liner. Like against Ottawa, he blew a coverage that led to a goal, and he has a history of taking dumb penalties. If he was more responsible I'd say he is a great 4th line energy guy.

I don't. At the moment, his playing style more or less lends itself to slightly-above-average faceoff guy/2nd unit PK forward. He isn't hitting much anymore which doesn't help his cause either (though thankfully leads to fewer stupid moments). As for great in the room, that's not our place to speculate. For the role he brings at the moment, he's a fringe 4th liner who can be swapped in and out depending on matchups.

I'd flip those two around.

Hence why I feel the way I do.

Ryan White is still in the lineup and Travis Moen is not. Have we noticed how poor defensively the fourth line has been?

I don't believe he is a great fourth liner. I think he's an easily replaceable one. Nothing special and I'm not upset when he's in the press box.

Hence why I feel the way I do.

Ryan White is still in the lineup and Travis Moen is not. Have we noticed how poor defensively the fourth line has been?

I don't believe he is a great fourth liner. I think he's an easily replaceable one. Nothing special and I'm not upset when he's in the press box.

Should he not be re upped this year, watch out he will come back to haunt the habs.

If he signs in the east hell score against us every year and punish our defenseman.

100% agree. I'd move Moen and re-up White. If the habs don't, you can bet the leafs or bruins would snap him up in a second. I doubt that would be the case for Moen.

I think white is under-rated by most habs fans.

Should he not be re upped this year, watch out he will come back to haunt the habs.

If he signs in the east hell score against us every year and punish our defenseman.

While on the topic of White, he had a great game tonight, probably his best of the season. Strong in all the zones.

He's been surprisingly effective since he cut his hair off.