When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

I feel comfortable digging this old gem out of the rubble since I've carried more water than anybody for Therrien.

I don't think Therrien makes it to the spring. They have to do something.

The strength of Therrien is that he's a motivator, he has his finger on the pulse of the team. That's why these games aren't ending in scrums and the team leaders sound like they had a lobotomy after these losses.

But Therrien has no answers right now. His hunches are coming up short. These moves didn't make a lick of sense to me over the past few games:

-Tinordi sits for 35 games, and his first game back plays more in the first period than Subban

-Tonight, with the empty net the guy who's been scoring is on the bench. Plekanec, Dale Weise and Eller are all on the game

-Galchenyuk number 9 TOI last night. Tonight he plays 15 minutes again.

-Andrighetto sits, why?

LM I can't believe you dug this old one out . And hey thanks I did not actually think I could do it cause I got killed for creating it. You are exactly right. Galchenyuk the only difference making guy on the team right now sits tooooooo much. Le Genius is not going to be fired unless MT can find a french speaking coach at 1/2 price. :) Ok MT has shown us that he can get some valuable chessnuts for fork all now can he get us a REAL goal scorer. And can he get Le Genius to put the magical blender on half speed?

LM I can't believe you dug this old one out . And hey thanks I did not actually think I could do it cause I got killed for creating it. You are exactly right. Galchenyuk the only difference making guy on the team right now sits tooooooo much. Le Genius is not going to be fired unless MT can find a french speaking coach at 1/2 price. :) Ok MT has shown us that he can get some valuable chessnuts for fork all now can he get us a REAL goal scorer. And can he get Le Genius to put the magical blender on half speed?

He's in a vicious cycle where the blender doesn't work, and he just leaves it on high power.

Lets be honest here, the team is losing because 2 and now 3 very key pieces are finally showing their effects due to their absence, not because the coach sucks.

If Bergevin were to even be tempted to consider the thought of Firing Therrien, it would only come because the team goes on a slide of this magnitude even when Price and Gallagher are back in the line up, not a moment sooner. So lets just put this thread to bed again, it is still too soon.

Sure Jan 2nd maybe...but in 2020 not next week.

I sure hope Mike got my X-mas card, he likely needs some cheering up this year.

We keep losing and he is going to need a lot of cheering up. This game is all about....."what have you done for me lately"

I don't get all the MT hate, he also lead them to the best start in the habs history. I'm guessing he didn't say after a 20-5 start to stop scoring, stop playing defense and don't try.

He is not the best coach out there, but until there is a better option, no reason to get rid of him.

He has had them in the playoffs each year as well.

The players on the roster need to be held accountable for there brutal play as of late.

Good post Chris!

In your avatar your favorite Hab is "anyone who hustles or finishes checks".... you must be bitterly disappointed in this year's club :angry2:

This isn't on Therrien, not one bit. Not only did he lose his starting goaltender, who also happens to be the best hockey player on the planet, but he lost his REAL on-ice leader and only quality RW in Gallagher. This is on MB for having a huge glaring hole at RW, and for not acquiring a veteran leadership presence (like, say, a Justin Williams). I think the lack of leadership on this team is brutally evident right now: Max Pacioretty is no captain, and with his lazy perimeter play and complete lack of physicality when we need him most, I am confident in saying that the man "could not lead flies to sh!t" as the old saying goes. Thomas Plekanec is clearly a guy who only brings his A game when thing are going well; when the going gets tough, Plekanec's game gets lost, as we've seen a few times in the playoffs in years past. As for David Desharnais, see Thomas Plekanec...same deal. This isn't a coaching issue, this is a player personnel issue.

This is on MB for having a huge glaring hole at RW, and for not acquiring a veteran leadership presence (like, say, a Justin Williams).

I know you're just using Williams as an example but it has been well documented that Montreal made him a larger offer than Washington did. They did try to get him.

• Upvote 1

I know you're just using Williams as an example but it has been well documented that Montreal made him a larger offer than Washington did. They did try to get him.

Yeah, we needed a guy like that IMO, didn't have to be Williams. It's on the GM to find a solid plan B when Plan A falls through, and MB did not. We got Plan Z in Semin...that's an epic fail.

epic fail? bit kooky term re Semin and you do realize it played out exactly as many predicted

maybe no-trade clause for Emelin is closer to epic fail, but not Semin nor Kassian.

you do know there is a salary cap and we all know Bergevin didn't just sit on his thumbs in the spring nor after July 1st.

but have been many critics of Bergevin since he took over and has been awhile since they have had a chance to loudly complain

Might as well start a "Fire Bergevin" thread if are so displeased with his management.

Watching Williams the other night definitely made me wince. I was hoping we'd sign him. Still, if MB did make him a strong offer, well, nothing to do there.

A solid RW would help, but I still find it hard to believe that a team with a scoreless Subban, a faltering Markov, an evaporated Patches, a hapless Pleks, a limping Petry, an impotent DD, a struggling Margarine, an injured Gallagher and Price (and Gilbert, heh!), *and* AHL goaltending would have done much better. You can't combine those kind of key injuries with that many passengers and expect to win a lot of games. In short, be careful about making a fetish out of this hypothetical RW. With that much of the core AWOL, he'd have to be some bona-fide all-star to turn the tide.

The slump, therefore, is not MB's fault.

Everyone keeps saying The Slump isn't Therrien's fault either. I've tended to agree, BUT to the degree that the team keeps struggling in its own end, MT will increasingly come into the cross-hairs - and rightly so. He can't fix the offence, but he CAN fix the defence, and he'd damn well better. Too many observers are being dazzled by our horrible offensive numbers, and are overlooking that the team is a disaster in its own end at present.

(Pacioretty must be just beside himself. He is transparently failing as Captain. This wasn't, I'm sure, in the script he wrote himself back when he was lobbying for the job. Painful to witness).

Watching Williams the other night definitely made me wince. I was hoping we'd sign him. Still, if MB did make him a strong offer, well, nothing to do there.

A solid RW would help, but I still find it hard to believe that a team with a scoreless Subban, a faltering Markov, an evaporated Patches, a hapless Pleks, a limping Petry, an impotent DD, a struggling Margarine, an injured Gallagher and Price (and Gilbert, heh!), *and* AHL goaltending would have done much better. You can't combine those kind of key injuries with that many passengers and expect to win a lot of games. In short, be careful about making a fetish out of this hypothetical RW. With that much of the core AWOL, he'd have to be some bona-fide all-star to turn the tide.

The slump, therefore, is not MB's fault.

Everyone keeps saying The Slump isn't Therrien's fault either. I've tended to agree, BUT to the degree that the team keeps struggling in its own end, MT will increasingly come into the cross-hairs - and rightly so. He can't fix the offence, but he CAN fix the defence, and he'd damn well better. Too many observers are being dazzled by our horrible offensive numbers, and are overlooking that the team is a disaster in its own end at present.

(Pacioretty must be just beside himself. He is transparently failing as Captain. This wasn't, I'm sure, in the script he wrote himself back when he was lobbying for the job. Painful to witness).

I concur completely with your comments.

epic fail? bit kooky term re Semin and you do realize it played out exactly as many predicted

maybe no-trade clause for Emelin is closer to epic fail, but not Semin nor Kassian.

you do know there is a salary cap and we all know Bergevin didn't just sit on his thumbs in the spring nor after July 1st.

but have been many critics of Bergevin since he took over and has been awhile since they have had a chance to loudly complain

Might as well start a "Fire Bergevin" thread if are so displeased with his management.

Another one?

Don bad news MB just gave Le Genius the kiss of death. He said there was no way he was firing Le Genius, well we all know what that means. :)

Yagh! Therrien must be writing his will as we speak.

Bring on Marc Crawford!