Thornton vs Orpik

johnnyhasbeen

Watched the replay of this cowardly attack. Firstly he attacked from behind, sort of like Bertuzzi although Moore knew Bertuzzi was there. Secondly he punched him with his gloves on while he was down on the ice. Pussy attack is all I can think of to say on it. Hope he gets a good long suspension. The league will probably call it a good hockey play though as he was wearing the big bad bruin jersey and he is suppose to act that way......

Watched the replay of this cowardly attack. Firstly he attacked from behind, sort of like Bertuzzi although Moore knew Bertuzzi was there. Secondly he punched him with his gloves on while he was down on the ice. Pussy attack is all I can think of to say on it. Hope he gets a good long suspension. The league will probably call it a good hockey play though as he was wearing the big bad bruin jersey and he is suppose to act that way......

No, he will get book tossed at him.

But, by and large Thorton is a respected 4th liner, as far as I know, but really don't know his suspension track record.

I don't think was a pussy attack, he would not hesitate to drop the gloves with Orpik and actually tried to get him to drop them before that they said. But, was it simply uncalled for, totally reckless and dangerous, of course and he will get maybe 20 games or more, bout same as Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon attack, McSorley on Brashear, Domi on Neidermayer, etc etc.

Vancouver radio played clips of Don Cherry's take on his buddy Thorton incident and explaining how Thorton screwed up and he then explained how retribution should of been planned and doled out.

He is just such a sweetheart and classy canadian.

I thought James Neal's knee was even worse, to be honest. You can't even knee the head of a downed opponent in MMA.

They were both really bad but for similar reasons.

Neal's was bad because Marchand was down on the ice and had no way to prepare for it. It was direct contact with the head as well. Could have done some serious damage.

Thornton grabbed Orpik from behind with a slew and dropped him to the ground before repeatedly drubbing him with forearm shivers. It was direct contact with the head as well. We already know it put Orpik on a stretcher.

I don't know if we could call one worse than the other. Neither belong in the game. I wouldn't want it to happen to a Hab or a Hab to do it.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Shanahan was at the BoG meetings early in the week which had something to do with the delay (in-person must by in New York, at the NHL offices, with team, NHLPA and legal representation all on hand, that all takes some time to coordinate).

I thought 20 games if the league wanted to send a message about assaulting people on the ice. But considering he is a Broon pond scum, 15 is probably the maximum we could expect. Any Hab would have got 20.

He is a first time offender. It sounds like the Bruins are pushing for Thornton to appeal so this may not be over just yet.

You are correct he is appealing. probably instigated by the NHLPA

You are correct he is appealing. probably instigated by the NHLPA

That's some union they've got there - one that wants to avoid any meaningful deterrence for brutal assaults on its memebers :rolleyes:

It just goes to show that players themselves, with their macho ethos of "aw he just got his bell rung" are a huge part of the denial machine. They have to wait until they're 50 years old and can barely function as human beings to rethink their own stupidity.

Bettman upheld the suspension. The PA was arguing that it should have been between 10-12 instead of 15. That's a lot of effort (and money) to try to shave off three games (and save Thornton about $17,000 in forfeited salary). He has a week to take it to the independent arbitrator. Early reports suggest they'll do so.