Jan. 24, Habs vs Wings, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

They can trade a lot of vets. there will be a market for them come playoff time.

Moen / Gionta can probably land you 2nd rounders

Markov a good prospect and a 1st.

Briere / Bourque can land you something.

Murray 2nd rounder, maybe someone would want Bouillon or Diaz

They need to move Galchenyuk to center and decide whether to keep pleks or DD. the other needs to go. Preferibly DD.

I would keep Eller,

From reading the HW recap, the extent of my following Hamilton, the Dogs seem to have issues scoring goals as well. Makes you wonder, are the scoring issues ever going to end? I say we let Markov go and blow our dough on Vanek.

No, Bergevin will only make a tweek or two.

Maybe some team will bite on Bourque/Markov/Diaz/Beaulieu, but will see within next 6 weeks or so I guess.

Beaulieu and a pick for Eberle? (or some deal with these young players, that is equitable and fits cap wise)

Subban must have been out there for 3 straight minutes when that goal was scored. he should have been off after that rush

Interestingly enough, it was the other D changing at an inopportune time (Beaulieu) that helped lead to the odd-man rush. Subban had been out there plenty but as the RD, the play would have needed to leave the zone entirely for him to change.

don't panic guys MB figures this team is 4 or 5 years away from being a contender, so no need for trades or any such nonsense. We just keep doing what we have for 20+ years and all will be ok. At worst we will be just as bad as we are now. I mean it has been successful for us so far, right?

don't panic guys MB figures this team is 4 or 5 years away from being a contender, so no need for trades or any such nonsense. We just keep doing what we have for 20+ years and all will be ok. At worst we will be just as bad as we are now. I mean it has been successful for us so far, right?

What do you think that have Habs specifically done wrong for 20+ years, that cup winning teams have avoided doing? Simply a combo of things eh? :)

But all of Bergevin's rhetoric seems to be what I agree with; build though the draft and look more long term stability of entertainment product (wins/cups).

What do you think that have Habs specifically done wrong for 20+ years, that cup winning teams have avoided doing? Simply a combo of things eh? :)

But all of Bergevin's rhetoric seems to be what I agree with; build though the draft and look more long term stability of entertainment product (wins/cups).

Doing wrong? NOT WINNING. :) It is not acceptable for the habs to be in a constant rebuild mode. We have been hearing the line about rebuilding through the draft for a long time. It is extremely difficult to rebuild throught the draft if your 1st round pick is in th 15 to 20th overall. The only high draft choices we have had are Price and Gally. There was the gainey 1 rebuild then gainey rebuild 2 but not called a rebuild. Now we are into rebuild MB1 I guess. This team has a core, that is pretty good, we need to unload some deadwood and upgrade the team. We should be actively looking at trades NOW. We need 3 to 5 players upgraded and we will be contenders imho. We are lapsing into being the Oilers of the east, except we actually have a decent team that really needs some improvement and waiting 4 or 5 years is not the answer. Put the open for business sign out and lets get at it. Enough pussy footing around. :habslogo:

Theoretically, every team is 4-5 years away from winning the Cup, lol. The "build through the draft" mantra is just bs for GMs to keep the pressure off. Even the scions of the draft builders, the Chicago Blackhawks signed Marian Hossa to a huge deal in '09. Pittsburgh traded for Neal and Kunitz. I do believe that the trade market is hot garbage, so there's no need for a trade this instant, but this summer MB needs to shake out the cobwebs and start doing his job.

Theoretically, every team is 4-5 years away from winning the Cup, lol. The "build through the draft" mantra is just bs for GMs to keep the pressure off. Even the scions of the draft builders, the Chicago Blackhawks signed Marian Hossa to a huge deal in '09. Pittsburgh traded for Neal and Kunitz. I do believe that the trade market is hot garbage, so there's no need for a trade this instant, but this summer MB needs to shake out the cobwebs and start doing his job.

I agree

You build the core of your team through the draft and developing players. After that you support that core and build on that core from smart free agency signings and trades. That’s what just about every team playing yearly for a cup has done. We on the other hand seem to be a primary landing spot for players on decline that other teams want to get rid of. No more of the Gomez, Briere, Bourque, and Kaberle.

Although we didn’t resign him because he got a lot at the time we need more moves like the Wisniewski one. A player that filled a need and certainly wasn’t past his prime.

Lastly you want a coach that will get the best out of all of his players and use a system that works for the makeup of his team.

You build the core of your team through the draft and developing players. After that you support that core and build on that core from smart free agency signings and trades.

Lastly you want a coach that will get the best out of all of his players and use a system that works for the makeup of his team.

This. We now actually have a core that has the potential to be successful. A top 5 goalie and defenseman are great pieces to start with. History shows that the "big" free agent signing usually doesn't pan out.

And the coach learning what he has to work with and utilizing it is a good coach. There's no sense telling this Habs squad to play on the boards because it's a lost cause. The players themselves shy away from the hit initially and choose to stick check instead. With the way that the NHL is slowly reverting back to the ol' don't call penalties for actual definitive penalties template; these Habs are going to find it difficult to win.

We have maybe 2/3 of the core to be a contender.

-superb goalie: check

-superstar defenceman + Beaulieu, Tinordi, Emelin: potentially quality D

Up front:

Patches/Gally/Galy - legitimate #1 line

Pleks or Eller +.... -we need two top-6 forwards

Not much below these guys

In short, the further away from Price you go, the weaker the franchise looks. The idea that we will contend in 6 years is a joke. We should be thinking in terms of 2-3 years, and right now, this is not an organization set to contend in 2-3 years due to the dearth of talent up front.

With all the talk of getting rid of Markov, there is no way I would trade Beaulieu. I think he is going to be a very valuable player for us. Bear in mind he only has 14 total NHL games under his belt so far and he just turned 21 less than two months ago.

Not saying he is going to be Duncan Keith but Keith didnt break into the NHL till he was 22 and that season he had 21 points in 81 games and was a -11 so give Beaulieu some time before we rush to trade him.

Markov should be traded before Beaulieu IMHO. It's precisely the hope that Beaulieu can evolve into a quality top-4 offensive-defenceman that makes trading Markov thinkable. You don't become a contender by trading 22-year-olds and re-signing damaged 34-year-olds; you do it by trading the damaged 34-year-old while he still has value, then trusting your young player to fulfill his potential. Maybe I am just over-reacting to Markov's terrible play of late, but the more I think about it, he is the piece we should move at the deadline to try to get high picks or quality prospects added to the organization. We have no real choice but to put our faith in Beaulieu's potential.

Markov should be traded before Beaulieu IMHO. It's precisely the hope that Beaulieu can evolve into a quality top-4 offensive-defenceman that makes trading Markov thinkable. You don't become a contender by trading 22-year-olds and re-signing damaged 34-year-olds; you do it by trading the damaged 34-year-old while he still has value, then trusting your young player to fulfill his potential. Maybe I am just over-reacting to Markov's terrible play of late, but the more I think about it, he is the piece we should move at the deadline to try to get high picks or quality prospects added to the organization. We have no real choice but to put our faith in Beaulieu's potential.

I'd keep both. Markov is there for leadership. Beaulieu is the future.

Cucumber is right, trade Markov while his value is high. Habs don't owe him anything considering, so the humane factor is out the window. That is what good team builders do, stick to a plan, and maximize asset returns on trades, on the way to getting the team to where you think it should be. Bergevin can't be any happier than the rest of us watching this soft team get beat around every night, and I'm thinking he is thinking "get away from being soft". That's the real problem, the team is small and soft, too easily knocked off the puck, and 3-4 months into the season they are wore down from playing bigger stronger opposition. They don't even look like a fast team anymore, it's sad.....

Habinator for Habs next GM :)

Edited by KoRP