Habs at the Olympics discussion

dlbalr

Boy, just total domination by Canada. But the Finns are defending tenaciously.

Vlasic gets a tremendous chance with 30 seconds left. We wouldn't have wanted Subban taking that shot, Lord no. :rolleyes:

It amazes me that Hamhuis, at 15 points and a plus 7, 40th in points among Canadian defenseman in points is considered ahead of PK at 39 points and plus 6, third among Canadian D.

All we hear about is PK being a defensive liability, but Hamhuis isn't? Weber has struggled defensively this year, but no matter.

It seems to me that the establishment just doesn't like PK as a person because there is no reason to treat him this way based on hockey performance. I am so tired of listening to all the BS excuses given. Worried about him on the big ice? He played his entire jr. Career on International ice and he is a fantastic skater. I mean, that is the stupidest excuse I have ever heard.

Sorry, but needed to rant. Don't get me started on St. Louis....

agree 100%. Fed up with this bullshit lineup decisions. In the past Sather passed over Roy a number of times in favour of his own goalie.. I can't believe the number of times guys blew by Hamius. even Keith made a pretty big give away. Of course if that was Subban it would have made headlines.

Fed up with this damn management teamI'm rooting for Markov now. I'd root for MaxPac, but I hate Burke too much too root for the americans.

Yeah, all those on this site who see Doughty as overrated had better think again. He's been dominant throughout the tourney - reminding me of nobody so much as PK Subban.

I don't think Doughty is over-rated. Great Dman. Gives up the puck a tad less then Subban. I'd put him in the top 7 in the league along with Ekman-Larsson, Weber, Subban, Keith, Peiterangelo, Karllson and Suter (in no particular order).

Mcdonough will be pushing to move into that group. God I hate Gainey.

Really? you don't think with Price in net and Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf as our first 3 shooters we wouldn't be ok? Come on now, there is no team scarier in every facet of the game at this tournament than Canada, none, it is once again our tournament to trip over our own feet at, or we win it.

As far as the goalies go, I say Price should go in, because frankly everyone was sold that he was our starter, and it was his job to lose. I don't see how anyone loses a starter job at any level of hockey with a .950 sv%. Both of them were solid, Luongo was slightly more solid, but as long as your designated starter for the tournament doesn't play poorly, there is no reason to change anything. Last time around, Brodeur played poorly against the US, Luongo got in and stole it, this time Price lets in one goal, looked very solid except for one 4 second window, hardly the same scenario.

As far as PK goes, he is the 7th d-man in my books, you let him play the PP, you give him 10 min or so of 5 on 5, and if the team needs a goal and there is a PP chance, i'm much happier knowing we have PK in the mix over Hamuis. PK can't really do any damage in 10 min of 5 on 5, but he can be the difference between a goal or none on the PP at any given time.

Outside of the Habs at olympics, anyone else disturbed by Kunitz still being in the lineup after 2 games? i'm also wondering why none of the brass has used a past connection of when Bergeron and Crosby tore up the WJC together on the same line to put them together again. Kunitz was a nice try but obviously he doesn't belong on the big ice, being counted on at the olympics to be a performing winger.

Well atleast team Canada took me up on 2 of my points, Price and Bergeron, Crosby's line looked way better today than any other. Still think PK should be there to shoulder the offensive zone entries, if every team is going to play with 5 guys behind the red line, we need shifty and tricky players skating in like Doughty and Subban can. What a player Doughty has been, they can't take the puck off him, he skates in at will with skilled and shifty puck handling, always makes the right decision in the offensive zone.

I also firmly believe, Price saved that game in OT with that colossal Blocker save on Salo, that is a goal 8 times out of 10 on most goalies at these games.

Price was excellent - a classic case of Dryden-esque goaltending, standing around for extended periods and then coming up with the huge saves when called upon. Quite a different challenge from what he normally has to put up with!

Boy, just total domination by Canada. But the Finns are defending tenaciously.

Vlasic gets a tremendous chance with 30 seconds left. We wouldn't have wanted Subban taking that shot, Lord no. :rolleyes:

It's a pleasure to get to watch Vlasic. He's looking pretty solid. Didn't think he was Olympics caliber. Almost had the GWG there

Can't help imagining what Syd could do with Taylor Hall over there instead of Kunitz. With the different systems, different ice, different teammates, etc. I find it hard to expect too much chemistry to carry over from the NHL.

indeed.. and with Jordan Eberle on the other side. We could have used his "clutchedness" today vs the Finns.

He's had the same benefit in his development benefit over the last 2 years that some of the best dman over the last 20 years (Blake, zitnik, neidermeyer and Rafalski) have had - the chance to be coached be Larry Robinson.

The same Robinson who our bafoon of a coach and GM turned down 2 years ago. Like those other dmen before him, his raved how Robinson has helped him in his development. Have to wonder, how much better Subban's development would be with a more nurturing coach, rather then a coach that is trying to break him like a thoroughbred.

It's a pleasure to get to watch Vlasic. He's looking pretty solid. Didn't think he was Olympics caliber. Almost had the GWG there

• Upvote 1

He's had the same benefit in his development benefit over the last 2 years that some of the best dman over the last 20 years (Blake, zitnik, neidermeyer and Rafalski) have had - the chance to be coached be Larry Robinson.

The same Robinson who our bafoon of a coach and GM turned down 2 years ago. Like those other dmen before him, his raved how Robinson has helped him in his development. Have to wonder, how much better Subban's development would be with a more nurturing coach, rather then a coach that is trying to break him like a thoroughbred.

Don't forget the decision to put Breezer in a professional development role.

Gotta say I've changed my stance on Doughty. Always thought he was overrated, but he's really showed great poise and skill over the first first games. Funny that like Cucumber said above he's reminded me of none other than subban himself, which is hilarious considering Subban is out of the lineup.

Proposed lines:

- Tavares, Crosby, Bergeron - Tavares and Crosby together with reliable Bergeron

- Nash, Getzlaf, Perry, - reunite this line together

- Benn, Toews, (Sharp / St. Louis) - Benn / Toews playing well - add in either Sharp or St.Louis will be fine

- Marleau, Duchesne, Carter - veteran line with speed up the middle

extra: (Sharp / St.Louis)

out: Kunitz

Keith / Weber

(Subban/Vlasic), Doughty

Bowmeester, Peitrangelo

extra: (Subban/Vlasic)

out: Hamhuis

Price - starter

Luongo

out: Smith

According to Babcock, he thought the D were so good there wouldn't be any changes, leaving PK on he outside looking in.

Wow...I see a team struggling for offence and the guy getting it done is an offensive, skating D. We don't need two like that? PK should be our other Doughty. Weber is a shooter, but I don't see him breaking the trap like PK and Doughty can. I would be sitting Hamhuis and getting PK ice time away from Doughty so we have two pairs that can break the trap.

Good points, brobin. I would definitely put PK in, especially since it's Swizterland. I know they're not pushovers, but it's not a high-pressure matchup.

On the plus side for the Habs, maybe this will light a fire for him next week.

Funny how pissed off Canuck fans are reacting same as Subban Habfans, and are 'angry' that Luongo isn't starting (even though he is from Quebec and Price is B.C. boy?)

Boy, do Canadians take their hockey seriously or what.

I'm happy Price is playing, but I see where Canuckleheads fans are coming from. It's not like Price is obviously a better choice than Luongo.

This isn't the case with Subban, incidentally, who has a MUCH higher ceiling than Hamhuis, Boumeester (sp?) and Vlasic. We're sitting the guy who should, on merit, probably be our #3 or #4 d-man. That's a whole lot crazier than picking Price over Luongo, although I personally would go with Luongo if I were Babcock.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Funny how pissed off Canuck fans are reacting same as Subban Habfans, and are 'angry' that Luongo isn't starting (even though he is from Quebec and Price is B.C. boy?)

Boy, do Canadians take their hockey seriously or what.

Luongo 1-6 in last 7 games while allowing 23 goals. Luongo doesn't deserve to be in net.

As a Montreal fan, if you had the choice to play one (but not both) of Price or Subban in Canada's lineup, which would you pick?

For me, my preference would be Price. Being the starting goalie in the pressure cooker that is the Olympics would really be beneficial experience for Price in a long playoff run. A strong performance may also erase the doubts of many fans that he caves under pressure, a narrative that was highly prevalent last year.

Luongo's dismal 2014 is a direct result of the team in front of him playing like pee-wees - just as Price's struggles in January had nothing to do with his own game and everything to do with the Habs being absolute clowns in their own end. Anyway, I'm not going to the wall defending Bobby Loo over Price. I'm happy Price is playing, partly for the reasons dlbalr states. But I don't think it's accurate to say that Luongo "doesn't deserve to start." He's 6-0 in Olympic competition and the defending champion. He does deserve it.

• Upvote 1

Well Yemelin-Markov can head back to Montreal relatively early (if not sent to Siberia by Putin).

Should be 2 good semi-finals Sweden-Finland & USA-us.

Plekanec had good showing.