2014 Trade deadline: who do we want?

JGC21

Why him? I know little about him. RWer?

A combination of a few things:

- Cap hit is high enough that a lot of teams won't be able to afford him but not so high that it forces the Habs into the bonus cushion (and subsequent cap penalty next year)

- Acquisition cost should be reasonable

- Can log minutes on both the PP and PK

- Plays both wings, very versatile

- Fairly consistent producer, even when in a third line role

Basically, he's the type of player that can come in, score a few goals, play in a few different spots in the lineup, and not really disrupt much of anything. I think that's what Bergevin would be looking to add.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A combination of a few things:

- Cap hit is high enough that a lot of teams won't be able to afford him but not so high that it forces the Habs into the bonus cushion (and subsequent cap penalty next year)

- Acquisition cost should be reasonable

- Can log minutes on both the PP and PK

- Plays both wings, very versatile

- Fairly consistent producer, even when in a third line role

Basically, he's the type of player that can come in, score a few goals, play in a few different spots in the lineup, and not really disrupt much of anything. I think that's what Bergevin would be looking to add.

Sounds good, never really noticed him before, other than I think he was a stinkin Leaf before.

Quantity does not equal quality.

If I'm Edmonton I don't accept anything from Montreal for Yak/Eberle/Hopkins/Yakupov/Hall that isn't Galchenyuk or Subban.

well lucky for us your not edmonton. and trading one of there young forwards for one of ours makes zero sense. i don't think getting another 20year old is what edmonton needs so scratch galchenyuk. also, it would take minimum 2 of those 4 forwards to get subban alone.

Why the heck does anybody think we need to be sellers? I say we are buyers, we have Gionta, Bourque, Markov, Boullion, Gorges, Eller as trade bait. This could be the year we score with some dyno-mite trades and win for the future. We have actually never been positioned better. I hope MB is smart enough to see that. I somehow doubt it though, we will continue in our very conservative stodgy way to nowhere land.

Why the heck does anybody think we need to be sellers? I say we are buyers, we have Gionta, Bourque, Markov, Boullion, Gorges, Eller as trade bait. This could be the year we score with some dyno-mite trades and win for the future. We have actually never been positioned better. I hope MB is smart enough to see that. I somehow doubt it though, we will continue in our very conservative stodgy way to nowhere land.

I think if MB traded a handful of those players then it can be considerd the Habs are 'sellers'. Usually when you unload your vets and UFA's at the deadline you don't figure you'll do much in the playoffs. And that's exactly how I feel. I would love MB to unload a package of these guys for a really good prospect for the future.

I think if MB traded a handful of those players then it can be considerd the Habs are 'sellers'. Usually when you unload your vets and UFA's at the deadline you don't figure you'll do much in the playoffs. And that's exactly how I feel. I would love MB to unload a package of these guys for a really good prospect for the future.

we aren't going anywhere in the playoffs. We need to buy the future hence buyers not sellers. We have a wealth of tradable assets. no point in staying where we are let's get off our asses and do something.

we aren't going anywhere in the playoffs. We need to buy the future hence buyers not sellers. We have a wealth of tradable assets. no point in staying where we are let's get off our asses and do something.

I think with the East being weak, we might win a round or two - IF we add some scoring. however, any deal we make should be with the next couple of years in mind. I'd rather pick up a top 4 Dman like Bieksa or Erhoff to take Gorges spot, since they will help us next year, as well as a young scorer like Kane. If Kane gets moved and we miss out on him, like we did on Bobby Ryan, i'll be pissed.

Despite their strong record since the coaching change, I think a team like the Jets would be interested in guys like Gorges and Moen.

The east sucks. Why not take advantage of that? You think Pittsburgh is going anywhere with Fleury? Think Washington can trust Holtby? You see Toronto going further than us? Only team to best really is Boston.

I'll take the eastern conference final over a couple draft picks.

I can't see the Pens not picking up a goalie.

The east sucks. Why not take advantage of that? You think Pittsburgh is going anywhere with Fleury? Think Washington can trust Holtby? You see Toronto going further than us? Only team to best really is Boston.

I can't see the Pens not picking up a goalie.

I can. They only have so much available money and they have three needs: right winger for Crosby, puck moving defenceman and goalie.

They would have to move cap if they want to make it all of it happen. More likely they just pick up a high priced winger (Moulson, Vanek) or dman (MacDonald) and call it a day.

and that gets us a cup exactly how?

and that gets us a cup exactly how?

Rarely do teams go from first round to cup. They tend to make it to the conference final first. Both the playoff experience and players wanting to push hard and right the year before are far more important than an extra prospect.

Rarely do teams go from first round to cup. They tend to make it to the conference final first. Both the playoff experience and players wanting to push hard and right the year before are far more important than an extra prospect.

I have no idea where you are going with this. I want to win a cup in 3 years. If MB would just listen to me, we would be planning the parade right now. :rofl:

Most sensical thing I've read on here.

The roster looks sexier to woo UFAs, too..

..plus, you never know, the kids might just surprise you.

What if MB see's Leblanc, Tinordi & Beaulieu as NHL ready?

I agree with your logic and feel like something is going to happen. Almost like the perfect storm after decades of barren drought.

I don't think stockpiling picks makes any sense for this organization. We are not in a rebuild, looking to contend in 5-6 years. Of course, we shouldn't be trading away picks either, unless it's as part of a package for guys who can help us for years to come.

Since the goal is to contend within 2-3 years, what we need are NHL-ready or close-to-ready prospects - guys who can step in within a 2-year window and help us become contenders. Getting such assets would require us to deal away major pieces, like Markov.

So I don't see a whole lot to be gained from being "sellers" of low-grade assets like Gio and Moen. At most those guys will get you, like, 2nd/3rd rounders or low-ceiling prospects (guys who project to become #6 defencemen, things like that). Moen in particular is not an impending UFA and if you trade him, you will then be looking around for a player of similar profile; so what earthly purpose would be served by such a move? As for the idea of bagging a Kane for Gorges and Moen, that's nuts - we need to think in terms of ADDING a Beaulieu or Tinordi into that deal. And once you do that, 90% of the fanbase is howling.

We should, then, be thinking in terms of adding low-cost depth players for this year's playoffs - it is true that even though this team has only a microscopic chance of winning the Cup, the East is sufficiently lousy that we do have a reasonable chance of winning a round or two - OR in terms of a major roster shake-up designed to bring back, not picks, but a serious infusion of young talent. I don't believe the latter will happen.

Im thinking the time is right.

Add a Ellis|DeitzNygren & Thomas|Reway|Andrighetto &/or Tokarski depending on necessity.. even Collberg|Lehkonen|Fucale.. if the catch is EXACTLY right.

Imo, organizational depth is strong and wouldn't be compromised.

Draft picks are big gambles to begin with, most often, long term investment. If a NOW opportunity arrives I'm all for dropping draft picks, too.. within reason. Again, especially with the cupboard as well stocked as it is at the moment. There are always kids to sign.

I think you have it backwards...

Deadline buyers: in the market to buy players that can make an immediate impact and help a playoff run.

Deadline seller: in the market to sell of current players of value in order to stockpile picks and prospects for the future.

Habs are clearly buyers this season.

The Habs made the conference final a few years ago, how'd that work out for us?

The goal should be to build a better team for 2-3 years down the road, not now. Habs finished near the top of the standings last year and got pounded by Ottawa and eliminated. Not sure I think the Habs can beat the Pens, Caps or even Detroit if they make it. Winning games in the regular season is not the same as playoff hockey. The Habs are not a playoff team as we sit today.

I think you have it backwards...

Deadline buyers: in the market to buy players that can make an immediate impact and help a playoff run.

Deadline seller: in the market to sell of current players of value in order to stockpile picks and prospects for the future.

Habs are clearly buyers this season.

I wish they were sellers. I want an elite team in 3 years, not a crummy first round exit playoff team.

Not sure I get the Weaver trade, with Bouillon chilling in the press box, by my reckoning, Weaver is 9th on the depth chart.

There just has to be more coming.

Not sure I get the Weaver trade, with Bouillon chilling in the press box, by my reckoning, Weaver is 9th on the depth chart.

He's ahead of Bouillon. Might be ahead of Murray too.

Where the organization considers him in relation to Tinordi and Beaulieu is a mystery

There is a lot of weird negativity about this trade (especially, to be fair, on boards other than this one, like H I/O). We now have more options on D, either as a prelude to another trade or simply as insurance for the playoffs. From everything I can see, Weaver is a guy who can take a regular shift for us and add physicality and defensive smarts. What on earth is the problem.