Does Vanek re-sign => Habs win the Cup?

nihilz

• 2 weeks later...

remember back when we were hoping against all hope that Vanek would resign - now ... not so sure!

I still wonder tho if his presence doesn't positively impact either the team regardless of his appearance on the scoresheet. do opponents still gameplan against him therefore helping his teammates?

remember back when we were hoping against all hope that Vanek would resign - now ... not so sure!

I still wonder tho if his presence doesn't positively impact either the team regardless of his appearance on the scoresheet. do opponents still gameplan against him therefore helping his teammates?

I would bet his best years are behind him and he isn't gonna get faster nor more hard working over the term of a huge contract he will get offered by some idiotic GM.

But, he likely will still pile up good point totals for a few years, as he has with Habs putting up 32points in 41games (64 point pace).

But, to rearrange Subban, Eller, Galchenyuk et al to squeeze Vanek under the cap is unlikely and Bergevin didn't seem so confident he would fit 'the salary structure' of the team, when asked about being able to resign.

If I'm Minny don't like what I've seen from Vanek in these playoffs and Sochi

Im quite weary of these $7M men. Gomez. Vanek. If that amount of cash is being dropped.. I want acomplete player that competes and produces. Im tired of these half a$$ed weak sauce shenanigans.

Sooo.. New GM in the igloo.. I wonder if they'll break up Sid & Gino? What would it cost us for Malkin!?! hehehe

Vanek may be hurt and that may be why he looks so pathetic,. When he got here he sure looked like the real deal. But you are right 7 million dollar guys just seem to be expensive with little return.

Vanek may be hurt and that may be why he looks so pathetic,. When he got here he sure looked like the real deal. But you are right 7 million dollar guys just seem to be expensive with little return.

But we definietely need one more M$ forward on this team. Otherwise, we'll just remain a bubble team until Galchenyuk becomes a legit (crossing my fingers) pt/g player.

Vanek being hurt would alter the equation a bit, but I'm really inclining more toward lower-profile moves and players anyway. We're a team built to roll four lines, not to be top-heavy with big name, overpriced talent - and that does seem to be what's got us here. Maybe what we really should be looking for is a couple of Chris Higgins-types, who can move up and down the lineup and contribute decent, not spectacular, offence. In that vein, I'd suggested Jussi Jokinen as a possibility. That type of guy anyway.

And watch, he will go tip-in 2g and get 3 points in next game.

He does have 9pts in 14 games, so he is 'chipping in', but exactly like Kovalev, he will be a star one game and then invisible the next.

Price you pay for a offense-only player (Ovechkin isn't the hardest backchecker neither and is also prone to coasting around when not have puck).

Vanek being hurt would alter the equation a bit, but I'm really inclining more toward lower-profile moves and players anyway. We're a team built to roll four lines, not to be top-heavy with big name, overpriced talent - and that does seem to be what's got us here. Maybe what we really should be looking for is a couple of Chris Higgins-types, who can move up and down the lineup and contribute decent, not spectacular, offence. In that vein, I'd suggested Jussi Jokinen as a possibility. That type of guy anyway.

I dont disagree with that approach, however when Vanek played like he can in the regular season, he made a world of difference to this team. They suddenly all could score. I think it was a confidence thingy as well as teams keying on Vanek left others open. We do need more goals, this is really the team that can't score most of the time. But having 6 20- 25 goal per year guys would accomplish more. We used to have that situation, no big stars but a lot of team scoring. We have 2 guys right now who are 20+ per year Patches and Plekanec, we have anotheer 4 who could be, gallagher, galchenyuk, eller, and DD. So if we think about that we have 4 who could be reliable 25 goal scores and 2 who are flighty, Eller and DD. We need 2 more guys who will be reliable 25 goal scorers. MT go get em. see? it is just so easy to be a president of a team :rofl:

Yea, not sure I would offer anything more that 4 years at 6 per. If you're dropping 7+ mill a year on a guy defense and a consistent effort better not be question marks. With MB looking to build a character team I'm not sure Vanek is the guy we're looking for and with free agency the way it is he would surely get way more $$ and term. Better to make no deal than a bad deal.

Yea, not sure I would offer anything more that 4 years at 6 per. If you're dropping 7+ mill a year on a guy defense and a consistent effort better not be question marks. With MB looking to build a character team I'm not sure Vanek is the guy we're looking for and with free agency the way it is he would surely get way more $$ and term. Better to make no deal than a bad deal.

A bad deal still better than a hole in a lineup if you can't fix it.

I'm not a fan of rolling three 2nd lines and a 4th.

Guest Stogey24

Vanek had 15 pts in 18 games with MTL this year and now has 9pts in 14 playoff games. M.B basically has to have some type or negotiations with this guy. He produces points every single year.

A bad deal still better than a hole in a lineup if you can't fix it.

A bad deal can hurt you for years, no deal give you the option to make a good deal any day.

i would sign vanek in a heart beat and anyone saying no for this guy is crazy. watch the highlights of galchenyuk's OT winner and see Vanek's face.... he is overjoyed!!!

i believe he was hurt on the play early in the Boston series when subban threw a thunderous hit and laid out vanek instead... i think he's almost over the injury as he did lean on NY players a little more in game 3 and I'm hoping he will explode before this series is over! again i hope!

www.thescore.com/news/506206

A bad deal can hurt you for years, no deal give you the option to make a good deal any day.

That is only good if you're able to make another good deal.

If there is no good option B, I go with a bad A any day.

That is only good if you're able to make another good deal.

If there is no good option B, I go with a bad A any day.

But what about option C which is to wait until the right moment. There are inevitably always good deals that arise, just look at how we landed Vanek in the first place. The whole idea is to be able to take advantage of the opportunity when it presents its self, not be handcuffed by the CAP. I know you can't count on this but Vanek could go a long way in showing some character and desire to be a team guy by cutting the Habs some kind of deal on either term or dollar amount instead of milking them for all he can. On the other hand why should Mr. Molson get a deal?

i would sign vanek in a heart beat and anyone saying no for this guy is crazy. watch the highlights of galchenyuk's OT winner and see Vanek's face.... he is overjoyed!!!

i believe he was hurt on the play early in the Boston series when subban threw a thunderous hit and laid out vanek instead... i think he's almost over the injury as he did lean on NY players a little more in game 3 and I'm hoping he will explode before this series is over! again i hope!

Like you said he could be hurt, its so hard for us fans to properly analyse these situations because there is so much information we are not privy to.

But what about option C which is to wait until the right moment. There are inevitably always good deals that arise, just look at how we landed Vanek in the first place. The whole idea is to be able to take advantage of the opportunity when it presents its self, not be handcuffed by the CAP. I know you can't count on this but Vanek could go a long way in showing some character and desire to be a team guy by cutting the Habs some kind of deal on either term or dollar amount instead of milking them for all he can. On the other hand why should Mr. Molson get a deal?

Like you said he could be hurt, its so hard for us fans to properly analyse these situations because there is so much information we are not privy to.

Option C = bubble team. I'm 30, barely remember 93's SC. I'm tired of waiting for the right moment. I want the Habs management to CREATE the moment.

If every season, we let the best players available sign elsewhere because "they're only one-dimension" or "are not worth 8M$ for 6 years", then guess what, we're never gonna have the best players in our lineup.

While I kind like the "roll four lines" idea, I also wouldn't cry if they do sign Vanek, especially if he's been playing hurt. He IS a major talent. But if it does happen, get ready for about seven years of non-stop fan bitching about the "crippling Vanek contract." :wall: Anyone advocating that we sign him had better be realistic about shilling out, oh, $7 mil per season for about 7 years. Don't kid yourself either about him taking a pay cut to be here, or about his market worth being anything you considerable reasonable.

While I kind like the "roll four lines" idea, I also wouldn't cry if they do sign Vanek, especially if he's been playing hurt. He IS a major talent. But if it does happen, get ready for about seven years of non-stop fan bitching about the "crippling Vanek contract." :wall: Anyone advocating that we sign him had better be realistic about shilling out, oh, $7 mil per season for about 7 years. Don't kid yourself either about him taking a pay cut to be here, or about his market worth being anything you considerable reasonable.

and already turned down $50m deal so he can go to free agency and will likely be a bidding war between crazy GMs (maybe his agent and Minni already got a informal agreement).

And as always the problem with a 7 year deal even for a superstar, is it is hard to get 7 years of value. How much did Vinny get out of Tampa? Dipietro?

That could be the situation alright. He may be injured and carrying the additional weight of our criticisms, mine included. I sure hope that is the case. One commentator mentioned that he wasn't shooting in situations where he he would previously and might have a rib injury.

The Subban hit that nailed him might well be the culprit.

I really hope that this is in fact the explanation that will surface when the last game if over.

Yea, but that was 50 mill in long island so it doesent mean much.

Very soon to be Brooklyn and also new owner. Which for someone already living in NY must be a bit appealing.

But dont matter, same chance he will sign in long island as Bergevin will handcuff team for years to get him signed.

So umm.. maybe we get him at discount now.. lmao

5.5 x 3 yrs.. take it or go somewhere lesser.. with more seats than fans and struggle to outscore your sub-par goaltender while wondering where your centerman has gone to and do they really call this ice.. for more money.

I'd still rather Vrbata.