Habs @ Buffalo, 7:30PM EST (RDS, Sportsnet, MSG-Buffalo)

Well, perhaps I'm off-base about Sekac's hit. I tend to discount arguments that it was the other players' fault - that way lies Chara's argument that Patches 'kind of jumped up and hit the stanchion.' Seems to me that Sekac boarded the guy (as the penalty declared) in a dangerous way. But whatever. This is the NHL, so none of it makes sense one way or the other. The good news is that, since he's not suspended, there is no reason to put Dork back in the lineup.

On PK: it's as though he has finally internalized what all the coaches have been telling him over the years. Stop taking risks, stop making spectacular plays. Just pass the puck along and try to shoot a lot. The result, predictably, is a much less effective player. But that's what the Great and the Good wanted all along. A 'safe' Subban who doesn't indulge in end-to-end rushes or super-imaginative offensive plays. Of course, he still has lapses in his own end; but those were never connected in any way to his show-offy style on attack anyway, so they weren't going to go away once the coaches beat the spectacular out of him.

Hopefully he wakes up one day and remembers that he is PK Subban, not some generic NHL offensive defenceman. This guy is one of maybe a half-dozen players who can lift fans out of their seats on a nightly basis. Only in the NHL is that a bad thing.

I liked HEARTS' post above. It captures much of my own sense that the Habs' game wasn't nearly as dreadful as posters on her made it out to be, and I whole-heartedly endorse the praise of DD's effort last night. Again, the big problem is that guys aren't burying their chances. That will come.

He turned his back. They went over it on Sportsnet and they all agreed ristolainen should have taken the hit with his shoulder, but instead made a terrible move and gave his numbers to Sekac who was at top speed coming in. He ain't getting a suspension for that hit.

exactly

Probably just for the 'conditioning stint' that Beaulieu and Bournival have both had this year. Hamilton has a pair of home games Friday/Saturday so it's a chance for him to play some bigger minutes.

Yeah, makes more sense that way. I guess Friedman's article on how all 30 teams were looking for a defenceman, including the Habs, was throwing me off.

FROM ICE LEVEL:

I know at first glance you see buffalo and you think geez 2-1 SO win... big deal. however, watching the game from the benches last night i noticed a few things....

****the pace of the game was actually high last night*** very few whistles it seemed

A) buffalo played a very hard skating tight checking game. seems they were really pushing to get a win for gionta and gorges. they seemed motivated.. BTW did anyone notice gorges pinching and shooting the puck in OT? lol

B) plex and gorges are not friends.... they were chirping each other all night behind the plays and between whistles. plex took a run at him early in the game behind the net and cross checked him a few times to set the tone for the night between the 2..

C) SEKAC was hands down the hardest working player on the ice. he was skating extremely hard, back checking and sometimes trying to do a little to much. his turn over at the blue line happened literally right in front of me and i was screaming to shoot and instead he tries that telegraphed pass! the hit happened right in my corner as well. he slid the puck from the blue line chased it down in to the corner tried to split the defence to get to the puck and finished the check.... disappointing because he really did some good things out there. and i will be extremely disappointed in MT if he takes him out of the line up again saturday.

D) DD is like the little engine that could, rivaled by only sekac in work ethic last night. he just seems to get knocked off the puck to easily... hence his holding and hooking throughout the night to compensate. BTW this guy needs to shoot about 400 pucks on net per practice...

E) Markov is without doubt are best defender.... PK subban is a phenom no doubt. but this team would be done, copout, finished, history.... if markov is out of the line up. anyone questioning his signing in hindsight must be thinking how foolish they must be.

F) honourable mentions to prust, galchenyuk, gallagher, patches, bournival for playing hard

after all this i didn't even mention paranteau and his clutch play... he isn't as slow as you think and i think moving forward he should stick with DD and patch for a little bit. they showed some great promise in preseason and then MT dropped them.. the 3 do seem to play with some cohesion!

Thanks for the ice level report on the game. Some good insight. Interesting about Pleks and Gorges. Pleks probably got tired of Gorges ra ra ra crap in the room. Anointing himself a leader in the room but hardly on the ice. Good for Pleks. Agree with your take on Markov. Concern that he is going to be burned out by play offs again though. A fresh Markov in april is worth risking more ice time to the kids now. Both (markov, tinordi, beaulieu) will be the better for it come spring.

• Upvote 2

FROM ICE LEVEL:

I know at first glance you see buffalo and you think geez 2-1 SO win... big deal. however, watching the game from the benches last night i noticed a few things....

****the pace of the game was actually high last night*** very few whistles it seemed

A) buffalo played a very hard skating tight checking game. seems they were really pushing to get a win for gionta and gorges. they seemed motivated.. BTW did anyone notice gorges pinching and shooting the puck in OT? lol

B) plex and gorges are not friends.... they were chirping each other all night behind the plays and between whistles. plex took a run at him early in the game behind the net and cross checked him a few times to set the tone for the night between the 2..

C) SEKAC was hands down the hardest working player on the ice. he was skating extremely hard, back checking and sometimes trying to do a little to much. his turn over at the blue line happened literally right in front of me and i was screaming to shoot and instead he tries that telegraphed pass! the hit happened right in my corner as well. he slid the puck from the blue line chased it down in to the corner tried to split the defence to get to the puck and finished the check.... disappointing because he really did some good things out there. and i will be extremely disappointed in MT if he takes him out of the line up again saturday.

D) DD is like the little engine that could, rivaled by only sekac in work ethic last night. he just seems to get knocked off the puck to easily... hence his holding and hooking throughout the night to compensate. BTW this guy needs to shoot about 400 pucks on net per practice...

E) Markov is without doubt are best defender.... PK subban is a phenom no doubt. but this team would be done, copout, finished, history.... if markov is out of the line up. anyone questioning his signing in hindsight must be thinking how foolish they must be.

F) honourable mentions to prust, galchenyuk, gallagher, patches, bournival for playing hard

after all this i didn't even mention paranteau and his clutch play... he isn't as slow as you think and i think moving forward he should stick with DD and patch for a little bit. they showed some great promise in preseason and then MT dropped them.. the 3 do seem to play with some cohesion!

Thank you for adding this point of view. There is no doubt that first person perspective of a game does reveal the true nature of ice level plays, that we at home cannot get a feel for as the game is scripted by the editors of our tv feeds.

We need more real-time commenting on games; who will provide the next in game feedback ? ie. who has tickets to the next tilt ?

Go Habs Go!

Lots of good posts tonight. I was driving back from Ottawa and missed the game. As usual , I tend towards the half-full side of the spectrum.. the bad is just the absence of a good that should be there..but I solidly agree with ChicCuke diagnosis of the boys holding their sticks too tightly and people watching their feet as they skate.

H of M's post speaks well for Buffalo putting forth a good solid effort and I have been on DD's case so glad to hear he was inspiring. As to MT. I think he's right to emphasize the positive. We all know we're turkeys... we're men after all.. but we don't need to have our faults constantly paraded. That's bad psychology. That said, I'm glad PK got a little public rebuke.. much as I just love that guy and thank the good Lord that we've got him playing for the world's finest sports franchise and the greatest game.

Was it just me or did Tokarski go to the wrong end of the ice to start the overtime? When Sportsnet went back to the game feed, it looked like Tokarski was in the middle of switching ends; Neuvirth seemed to be waiting for him to move. (Or perhaps both went to the wrong end as the long change rule was just put in place this year.)

According to Lavoie, Sekac is practicing with Eller and Prust on the third line while the fourth line is Moen - Malhotra - Weise/Bourque.

That doesn't surprise me. Prust seems to be getting more and more ice time as the games go. Personally, I'd rather see Sekac (on his natural left side) with Eller and Weise if they want an energy guy on the third line.

That doesn't surprise me. Prust seems to be getting more and more ice time as the games go. Personally, I'd rather see Sekac (on his natural left side) with Eller and Weise if they want an energy guy on the third line.

I'm just glad Friedman was wrong in that Sekac would be back in the doghouse.

Guest Stogey24

Prust had an OK game against Buffalo, but he's honestly been struggling. I'd like to see Sekac-Eller-Weise too. Prust will just slow that line down

Prust had an OK game against Buffalo, but he's honestly been struggling. I'd like to see Sekac-Eller-Weise too. Prust will just slow that line down

Ditto. For me, Weise is an obvious upgrade on Prust in all areas save fighting.

Ditto. For me, Weise is an obvious upgrade on Prust in all areas save fighting.

And fighting is what he does very well and when a youngster gets run over, who else but Prust (or Moan) steps up to discuss the hit with opposition, or can antagonize a goalie enough to attack him (other than Gallagher)?

So he does play a bit different role and seems to be a bit of mentor for Galchenyuk.

He is 100x better to have on roster than goons Big George I or II, don't you think.

He is 100x better to have on roster than goons Big George I or II, don't you think.

Sure. That doesn't mean he needs to play on the third line though. Ideally, he's an 8-10 or so minute a game player who can take a fourth line shift and one of the PK units. If he's on that third line, his TOI is going to be closer to 13-14 which isn't good.

Guest Stogey24

Sure. That doesn't mean he needs to play on the third line though. Ideally, he's an 8-10 or so minute a game player who can take a fourth line shift and one of the PK units. If he's on that third line, his TOI is going to be closer to 13-14 which isn't good.

Exactly.

I like Prust more than most and I am fine by him over Bourque on 3rd line, but 4th line is also fine, or simply a bottom six player yes.