Hockey might be played tonight. Bruins @ Bell Centre, 7:30PM (SN360, RDS)

12-4-1 start to season sounds darn good and points are adding up nicely.

Looks great. But tonight was probably one of the 2 or 3 games this year that they showed up for most of the game.

Hopefully, the strong play will continue. There is reason for optimism, when you consider the PP has sucked and Subban and Markov haven't been playing even close to their potential.

I'm hoping MB learned his lesson from the Subban bridge deal. If he had signed him to a 8 year deal than, we probably could have gotten Subban for under $6.5M - at that time, Karllson's deal would have been the ceiling for Subban.

The habs have to learn that there are exceptions to rules. Even the idiotic Islanders are reaping the benefits of signing Tavares long-term.

And if you would read Brian's analyses of that contract you would realize it cost us very little if anything.

• Upvote 1

We saved money in the year's we weren't contenders and wasted those savings on Briere last year. Next year, when the Gally's, Tinordi and Beaulieu are getting new contracts, we could have used the $2.5m-$3m annual savings on Subban's contract.

And if you would read Brian's analyses of that contract you would realize it cost us very little if anything.

I don't think Bourque earned a place. Hell, the habs should have tried hard to move him at the draft or the summer, instead of hoping that Bourque's playoff performance was anything but a mirage. In the summer, someone may have been stupid enough to trade for him.

He clearly earned his place in the playoffs. Same think with Moen, who got an extension from MB. The coach is not an idiot. If he wants to keep his job he has to give a fair chance to those who are already signed for serious money. They got their chance, they blew it. MT has gotten rid of his deadwood without much of a fuss. Somehow you have to concede that he has been strategic with a delicate situation.

We saved money in the year's we weren't contenders and wasted those savings on Briere last year. Next year, when the Gally's, Tinordi and Beaulieu are getting new contracts, we could have used the $2.5m-$3m annual savings on Subban's contract.

But if Subban signed a five year deal at a gift price, he'd be signing his big contract later. He'd still be signing that big contract eventually.

• Upvote 1

Holy smokin' old Jezus can we let the bridge/long term contract for Subban rest?

The bridge is the way to go with young players, in the end, a rising cap will show that MB was right.

Best game the team played all year, and some of you just have to b!tch and moan... I couldn't stand to watch a game with some of you guys, especially while drinking beer.... :devil:

Dominated the poor tired and injured Bruins says TO sports media, I say we would have anyway.

Gonchar looked good at both ends, I watched the game, yes.

Sekac is a stud, and so was Patch, Eller, Gally and Beaulieu just wants to stay....

Great team effort, and always great to beat the Bruins! :1banana:

• Upvote 2

As Bonne put it, "Gushing Praise" for much of roster last night.

But, he also noted Subban had zero shots or attempts, which seems just odd?

But also Habs are 9-1 with Sekac playing.

Cant even think of anything to whine about (but seems some will always find something to dislike about this team and they would even during cup parade no doubt, "Fluky win in finals, wont do it next year!" or something lame like that.)

Holy smokin' old Jezus can we let the bridge/long term contract for Subban rest?

The bridge is the way to go with young players, in the end, a rising cap will show that MB was right.

Best game the team played all year, and some of you just have to b!tch and moan... I couldn't stand to watch a game with some of you guys, especially while drinking beer.... :devil:

Dominated the poor tired and injured Bruins says TO sports media, I say we would have anyway.

Gonchar looked good at both ends, I watched the game, yes.

Sekac is a stud, and so was Patch, Eller, Gally and Beaulieu just wants to stay....

Great team effort, and always great to beat the Bruins! :1banana:

agree on all counts !

Guest Stogey24

Sekac looks great. How bad does Rene Bourque feel? I hear he was a minus in the Hammer tonight.

How bad do you feel about giving Sekac the gears before he even put a Habs Jersey on? ;)

Montreal needed a game like last night. I really like running the 7D line up with Beaulieu getting looks on the wing. I hope Therrien keeps it against Philly.

But if Subban signed a five year deal at a gift price, he'd be signing his big contract later. He'd still be signing that big contract eventually.

It wouldn't make sense to sign a guy out of entry level deal to a 5 year deal. Minimum is usually 6 years (Kane, Seguin, Myers, Karllson, Tavares, etc). The habs should have tried signing SUbban to a 10-12 year deal before the lockout when all of the other teams were locking up their stars coming out of entry level deals), while you could still sign those terms. At the time, Subban's totals and Karllson's $45M/7 yr contract after his Norris would have been the cap for Subban. Given Subban's totals, his salary would have been under that.

The agent naturally would have pushed for a 5 year deal (That's his job), but if a team is going to give a guy a raise for those 4 RFA years, they should be able to get a discount for the UFA years. I think at the very worst fort the habs an 8 year deal for the same total that Karllson got would have been a slam dunk, but had the habs offered $70M/11 years pre-lockout, i can't see Subban turning that down.

It was a missed opportunity, but hindsight is 20-20.

When Subban signed the bridge deal, there was no 8 year maximum contract. We could have signed him to a nice 14 year contract like Shea Weber, for as low as 6 - 6.5 million. But it's a gamble...

That stat that the Habs are 9-1 with Sekac in the lineup is interesting. Could just be a fluke, of course, caused by small sample size. However, I'd point out that it seems to confirm what I've been saying about the way our team is built. We are made to roll three more-or-less interchangeable lines. When that 3rd line (Eller) gets going, we see this model blaze in all its glory: last year's playoffs, this year when Sekac/Eller/Prust are bringing it. When that third line flounders, the team looks closer to ordinary.

As for the Bruins, I almost feel sorry for them. Oh wait. NO I DON'T. 5-1. SUCK ON THAT, YOU TURDS!!!!!!!

I agree with the long long term signings. Should have been done pre lockout. Subban showed plenty to be worth 6 mill, and with guys like weber signing 6.5 I doubt he'd say no for 10-12 years at 6-7. Would have saved us cap in the years we actually NEED cap. Not saving cap for 2 years on bums like Briere. Our time is coming now, and an extra 2-3 million would be huge.

I like putting Beaulieu on wing. It's a good way to get him ice time without scaring the hell out of me (and MT, evidently.)

How about subbans drop passes to nobody, Markovs give aways, one in particular that cost Price shut out against Minny, or Subbans up the middle passes that lead to break aways for the other team (kane) NB making any of those bone headed plays or just the two vets? Point is any d can make mistakes and atleast NB aint making the glaring ones i see others making presently.

sounds like you dislike NB as a sixth d as much as i dislike pleks as a no 1 center.

I like putting Beaulieu on wing. It's a good way to get him ice time without scaring the hell out of me (and MT, evidently.)

Yes, Beaulieu on the wing may work fine, he will never defend well (not smart enough to be a d-man), wing is easiest position and just need speed and some puck skills which he has in spades.

Yes, Beaulieu on the wing may work fine, he will never defend well (not smart enough to be a d-man), wing is easiest position and just need speed and some puck skills which he has in spades.

He's also aggressive enough to dig the puck out of the corners on the forecheck.

How about subbans drop passes to nobody, Markovs give aways, one in particular that cost Price shut out against Minny, or Subbans up the middle passes that lead to break aways for the other team (kane) NB making any of those bone headed plays or just the two vets? Point is any d can make mistakes and atleast NB aint making the glaring ones i see others making presently.

sounds like you dislike NB as a sixth d as much as i dislike pleks as a no 1 center.

I've said this before - it's not about mistakes. The best defensive players still make defensive mistakes. In fact, the more often they have the puck (a good thing), the more mistakes they will make. Often the best defensive players are among the most turnovers in the NHL. So I'm not concerned so much with mistakes.

I'm talking about his regular defensive play - "Hockey IQ." For all his turnovers, Subban is actually excellent defensively. He plays position well, he's aggressive at the right times, and knows when to fall back into formation to limit access to the net. He blocks shots when needed, he uses his body well. He makes a few more mistakes than the average defenseman, due to his offensive focus, but he is still a smart defensive player.

Beaulieu does none of that. He looks lost in his own end. He's inexperienced - i give the kids more leeway on gaffes than the veterans. That's fine. But he has none of the "hockey IQ" needed to play smart defensive hockey. That's fine if you're putting up enough offense - but so far, he hasn't. He's got all the skills to start putting up numbers though. If he's ready, he'll start doing it. Let's see how he responds to the time he's getting at forward, now.