Detroit Fire of 2015: Habs @ Joe Louis Arena, 7:30 PM EST

Ya, looks like nice lines, but what a nice set up by Wiese.

I am one who isnt upset that lines arnt written in stone and exactly who plays with who I am fine leaving coaching staff sort that out.

IF, track record wasnt what it is, THEN I might be nick-picking on choices, but holy moly simply continue to do well and maybe after scratch Sekac will come back with renewed 'vigor' and take puck hard to net when he gets a chance or starts shooting more?

Oh absolutely. My favourite part about the line mixing it inserting Weise where he needs to be. When he plays too much top six time he gets bogged down and his usefulness is under utilized. When he can free roam on any line and eventually slip up with Pacioretty when needed, that's when we see his magic.

Modern lines are not set in stone. They breathe.

hear that. juggling lines and mixing them up is MT s style. Coaches call. Cool with that.

What i would like to see is a fourth line made up of guys that are actually on the team, that have made the team............sometime it takes a while to get that...........but three seasons now and the fourth line is pretty well bulldogs every night.......fine if the leafs are doing a rebuild...... Maybe i'm just a little envious of islanders fourth line ha! and some of heavy weight teams in the west, NHL players worthy on one way contracts filling their rosters including the fourth line. For play off run i would like to see it. Cudos to the five goals the boys playing on the fourth line have produced over the last 3 seasons , but lets get deeper and nail that fourth line down. Maybe at the deadline?

hear that. juggling lines and mixing them up is MT s style. Coaches call. Cool with that.

What i would like to see is a fourth line made up of guys that are actually on the team, that have made the team............sometime it takes a while to get that...........but three seasons now and the fourth line is pretty well bulldogs every night.......fine if the leafs are doing a rebuild...... Maybe i'm just a little envious of islanders fourth line ha! and some of heavy weight teams in the west, NHL players worthy on one way contracts filling their rosters including the fourth line. For play off run i would like to see it. Cudos to the five goals the boys playing on the fourth line have produced over the last 3 seasons , but lets get deeper and nail that fourth line down. Maybe at the deadline?

You're envious of Matt Martin Colin McDonald and Casey Cizikas ?!?! Or you mean baring any injury...

Heavy weight teams eh (who are?), those have high scoring 4th lines do they?.

Islanders do, rest don't see a lot of offense and some actually have some AHLers on their 4th lines also. Imagine that?

Habs top picks which have been few in recent years, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Leblanc, AG, couple others.

Galchenyuk is a Hab, Beaulieu is a Hab, but Scherbak and McCarron are also long ways from NHL ready. Tinordi may not pan out (and I didn't like trading up to get to begin with)

And all the rest were low % to make NHL anyways.

So shouldn't be big shock or surprise. When trading away a 1st for Tanguay or a 2nd for Dominic Moore crap, comes back to bite you several years later.

Not only Montreal demands some defensive effort by rookies and are the Oilers at other end of spectrum (dumb end)

"and all rest were low % to make nhl anyways, shouldnt be shocked" lol .... not shocked, no surprise ....its my entire point, get a fourth line already instead of filling it with as don said "low % of making nhl players" and calling it a fourth line. as MT himself said 'this is not a development league"

panthers beating loafs 3-1 in third in toronto.........ACC looks empty

sharks came out flying against preds firing 18 first period shots up 1-0..................preds roar back with five unanswered goals before second period over.

predators look too good

I believe in teams that are built from the net and the blueline. By that particular measure, the Preds are a juggernaut - unmatched in hockey.

Yep! But I still say we can still beat them in the finals... :halm:

• Upvote 2

Yep! But I still say we can still beat them in the finals... :halm:

Ha! Getting ahead of ourselves, are we? :)

I like our chances against any team in the East except Tampa Bay (against whom I think we would be underdogs, although not by a massive extent). I'm much, much less sanguine about our chances against Chicago, and - above all - Nashville. Rinne is one of the only guys out there who can negate our area of greatest competitive advantage, i.e., Carey Price. That would be one low-scoring series for sure.

I'd love a series against Detroit since I could see a Habs playoff game. I wouldn't love watching the series because zzzzzzzzz

I'd rather not play Boston. Been there done that. Even if it feels like a sure win.

Florida would be a fun series.

Tampa is a bit frightening but I also think they are massively overrated. It would be a series that could go either way.

I don't see the Preds making it past the second round, just throwing that out there. And I will dig this thread up if that happens haha

I hope you're right, because as a fan whose team has a legitimate chance to make the finals, I want them out of the running. They alarm me.

I'd love a Detroit-Habs series, if only because of the 'Original Six' factor. Shades of the 1950s!

I don't see the Preds making it past the second round, just throwing that out there. And I will dig this thread up if that happens haha

ha! yes they may be a season or two away from going deep. They are still young, inexperienced and a tad soft for play off hockey........and there are several tough teams they could run into early in the west.

like the blues last season, great team but drew the hawks in round one.

I hope you're right, because as a fan whose team has a legitimate chance to make the finals, I want them out of the running. They alarm me.

I'd love a Detroit-Habs series, if only because of the 'Original Six' factor. Shades of the 1950s!

yea last year habs had two rounds with original six teams. good match ups as always

And it wouldn't be an Original Six done countless times like Montreal/Boston and even Montreal/New York. It'd be a fresh match up.

I honestly feel the second round is now the toughest round of the playoffs due to the division fight system. What would be tougher, Montreal vs. Tampa in the second round or Montreal/Tampa versus the Rangers, Penguins or Islanders? What would be tougher, Chicago vs. Nashville in the second round or the winner of Chicago/Nashville taking on Anaheim?

And it wouldn't be an Original Six done countless times like Montreal/Boston and even Montreal/New York. It'd be a fresh match up.

I honestly feel the second round is now the toughest round of the playoffs due to the division fight system. What would be tougher, Montreal vs. Tampa in the second round or Montreal/Tampa versus the Rangers, Penguins or Islanders? What would be tougher, Chicago vs. Nashville in the second round or the winner of Chicago/Nashville taking on Anaheim?

It's a great point. Heck, one reason we crapped out in the third round last year was because that Boston series was so incredibly intense/punishing. It makes a huge difference if you can sail through that second round relatively unscathed (remember the sweep of Buffalo in '93!).

It's a great point. Heck, one reason we crapped out in the third round last year was because that Boston series was so incredibly intense/punishing. It makes a huge difference if you can sail through that second round relatively unscathed (remember the sweep of Buffalo in '93!).

It's an arguable point. I get it and all but it can be said the other way as well. If it's tougher for Montreal to play Tampa, than it is to play Pitts, NYI or NYR then it should be tougher for any of Pitts, NYI or the NYR to play Montreal or Tampa in the third round. The same goes for Anaheim having to face Nashville or Chicago in the third round as opposed to having played an "easier" second round opponent. Of course different teams matchup better against specific opponents but the point stands. Also, the third round was probably one of the easier rounds for the NYR last year because the Habs had such a tough second round. I did prefer the old system though because after a few years I'm really going to get tired of playing the same teams over and over again assuming things stay the same. Looking at the teams in our division though, it's hard not to see at least three of Montreal, Boston, Tampa and Detroit staying on top of the division for the next few years.

As for the East, I see 8 solid teams making the playoffs. I think the Habs are a great team and I believe they are contenders, but at the same time I don't see the East being as weak as last season. So I will be approaching this year's playoffs with caution. I think pretty much any of the 7 other teams in the playoffs right now would have a chance against the Habs. Of course, then there's Carey Price to shut down that theory! :habslogo:

as Nilan and most hockey players would say "thats a load of crap"..........habs bruins had an intense/punishing seven game series in 011.........Bruins went on to win three more rounds and the Stanley Cup after it. Kings went one intense/punishing seven game series after another last season winning each one, then took the rangers out easily.

But i will agree with this......if you dont have 20 guys going hard and rely too heavily on a few..........winning one "intense/punishing will drain the tank completely.

What would be tougher, Montreal vs. Tampa in the second round or Montreal/Tampa versus the Rangers, Penguins or Islanders?

I'd like to face the islanders or the Penguisn in teh 2nd round. I find these are the teams we have a the best chance of beating. The one team I DO NOT want to face is Tampa...especially if the have Bishop in nets.

I'd like to face the islanders or the Penguisn in teh 2nd round. I find these are the teams we have a the best chance of beating. The one team I DO NOT want to face is Tampa...especially if the have Bishop in nets.

It's impossible to do now. We could possibly face a Metro team in the first round if we win our division but the second round must be division vs. division.

It's an arguable point. I get it and all but it can be said the other way as well. If it's tougher for Montreal to play Tampa, than it is to play Pitts, NYI or NYR then it should be tougher for any of Pitts, NYI or the NYR to play Montreal or Tampa in the third round. The same goes for Anaheim having to face Nashville or Chicago in the third round as opposed to having played an "easier" second round opponent. Of course different teams matchup better against specific opponents but the point stands. Also, the third round was probably one of the easier rounds for the NYR last year because the Habs had such a tough second round. I did prefer the old system though because after a few years I'm really going to get tired of playing the same teams over and over again assuming things stay the same. Looking at the teams in our division though, it's hard not to see at least three of Montreal, Boston, Tampa and Detroit staying on top of the division for the next few years.

As for the East, I see 8 solid teams making the playoffs. I think the Habs are a great team and I believe they are contenders, but at the same time I don't see the East being as weak as last season. So I will be approaching this year's playoffs with caution. I think pretty much any of the 7 other teams in the playoffs right now would have a chance against the Habs. Of course, then there's Carey Price to shut down that theory! :habslogo:

Yes pretty even across the board. The Islanders worry me the most.

Anybody within earshot of a hab game this year will tell you its the Price factor. If he went down before play offs every team in the east would want to get the habs in the first round.

It's impossible to do now. We could possibly face a Metro team in the first round if we win our division but the second round must be division vs. division.

If we end 2nd or 3rd and the Islanders/Pitts cross over into our bracket and beat 1st place then we'd meet them in the 2nd round. Of course, the Islanders or Pens would have to drop to a wildcard spot in the first place.

ie

1) Tampa

2) Monteal

3) Detroit

4) Pitts

1) NYR

2) NYI

3) Washington

4) Philly

If Pitts beats Tampa and the Habs win, then round 2 would be Pittsburgh vs Montreal.

Round 2: Pens/Habs & Rangers/Caps

Not very likely that it will happen with the current standings though.