May 3rd - Game 2 - Bolts vs Habs, 6 PM

dlbalr

To be fair with Prust, I don't remember any referee taunting a player like that after a call.

He really kept going until Prust said something just for the sake of giving an extra 2.

Actually, I think I remember that last time I saw that. Ref came back at Mario Lemieux and he threw his stick at the ref.

I thought the same thing regarding Prust for the unsportsmanlike call. It was kind of odd to see the ref jawing with him, for as long as he was, while he was already in the box.

The rest of the game made me mad though. That last minute first period goal was a back breaker. I don't even think the initial penalties were THAT much of a momentum killer, especially for Prust's 4 minutes, they played well and actually had a few scoring opportunities. Giving up 2 last minute goals was quite the killer.

I'm NOT fond of Prust's tendency to run around late in games after the outcome has been decided. I don't like it when other teams do it, and won't condone it when the Habs do it. Prust was trying to goad Cobourn all night. Hopefully, the 4th line isn't the "best" line again in the next game. The lack of scoring from the top 9 is frustrating.

I'm NOT fond of Prust's tendency to run around late in games after the outcome has been decided. I don't like it when other teams do it, and won't condone it when the Habs do it. Prust was trying to goad Cobourn all night. Hopefully, the 4th line isn't the "best" line again in the next game. The lack of scoring from the top 9 is frustrating.

Or do something. Take a cheap shot if you're going to take a cheap shot. It's pathetic to see these guys running around at the end of the game with their best grouchy face. What's the point of giving Bishop a little bump and then punching Braydon Coburn in the head three times? Maybe if he really hit Bishop hard that would have made a difference. Not Lucic-Miller hard, but a genuine body check.

Guest Stogey24

Or do something. Take a cheap shot if you're going to take a cheap shot. It's pathetic to see these guys running around at the end of the game with their best grouchy face. What's the point of giving Bishop a little bump and then punching Braydon Coburn in the head three times? Maybe if he really hit Bishop hard that would have made a difference. Not Lucic-Miller hard, but a genuine body check.

I honestly can't stand Bishop. He's a 6'7 baby.

I honestly can't stand Bishop. He's a 6'7 baby.

Have you even seen a goalie collapse on their stomach and stay there until it's over? He's the biggest wimp in the league by a mile. Even Semin had that slap fight. Bishop would have rolled on his back faster than my Australian Shepherd puppy looking for a liver treat.

The deadline deals didn't address any needs. Bergevin and likely MT in his ear chose to double down on D and "dep." This team is dressing Dale Weise on the first line, as they have off and on all season. Our LW depth would be even worse if we made the fabled Galchenyuk to C franchise saving move.

The fourth line is what it is. The difference between Bournival/Tangradi and Flynn is one or two goals in a long run. For me, the main mistake was loading up on D and 4th liners in the offseason and the first 40 games.

I have bad news, gang. There's no guarantee that a 110 point season where the Habs are up for three awards will happen again. In five years, we might look at this year as a major missed opportunity.

In terms of deadline deals, it's great to say to MB, go get a first-line scorer. What this translates to is, 'deplete the system and fire-bomb the future for a short-term middling top-6 forward being sold at ridiculously inflated value.' No thanks. Zoot has shown that he will pull the trigger to get an impact FW (Vanek) if he thinks the price is viable. It's not always possible to do. We have to accept that.

As for your last sentence, I don't really get what difference it makes to the playoffs if Price wins a Hart and PK wins the Norris. Who cares? Those guys are not going to stop being elite players just because round two of the 2015 playoffs was a bust. Any year you have great players and don't go deep is a 'wasted' year, but this isn't 2008 any more; we're not crossing our fingers on some miracle run. We're trying to become annual contenders. And we're close to being that.

• Upvote 1

In terms of deadline deals, it's great to say to MB, go get a first-line scorer. What this translates to is, 'deplete the system and fire-bomb the future for a short-term middling top-6 forward being sold at ridiculously inflated value.' No thanks. Zoot has shown that he will pull the trigger to get an impact FW (Vanek) if he thinks the price is viable. It's not always possible to do. We have to accept that.

But what about before the season? Did he really think PA Parenteau and Jiri Sekac would fix the scoring issue? He traded for Ryder and Vanek, so he was

aware that there was an issue. I guess our pal Bargain Basement Bergevin did it again!

But what about before the season? Did he really think PA Parenteau and Jiri Sekac would fix the scoring issue? He traded for Ryder and Vanek, so he was

aware that there was an issue. I guess our pal Bargain Basement Bergevin did it again!

You do realize there is a cap limit and Habs are not flush with extra cap space. You do realize Bergevin said 1000 times, that this is a "transition' year and he will nto mortage future for quick fix, which seems a smart route to take.

How many complained that one HUGE need is a top 4 d-man and what did Bergevin do, he added a top-4 d-man and specifically said 30 teams want to add a top six upgrade and were none that wouldnt be very costly!

Habs have been better team in both 1st periods, but Subban shot them in the foot with another totally selfish dumb-dumb penalty.

You do realize there is a cap limit and Habs are not flush with extra cap space. You do realize Bergevin said 1000 times, that this is a "transition' year and he will nto mortage future for quick fix, which seems a smart route to take.

How many complained that one HUGE need is a top 4 d-man and what did Bergevin do, he added a top-4 d-man and specifically said 30 teams want to add a top six upgrade and were none that wouldnt be very costly!

Habs have been better team in both 1st periods, but Subban shot them in the foot with another totally selfish dumb-dumb penalty.

It's not all about Marc Bergevin. Just because he has this plan (which, like any other GM or senior manager, is little more than a five year plan to keep himself employed for the duration of the plan) doesn't mean that he shouldn't seize opportunity,

A 110 point season should count as "the future."

You all keep trying to make this about the deadline, but that was only part of my comment. You mean to tell me that from last year's deadline to this year's deadline there wasn't a single scorer to be had?

What's the cost? Someone like Tinordi who can't crack the lineup after 5 years, or a pick that likely becomes a nobody 3rd liner like NIkita Scherbak?

Let's go out this summer and get some more college guys!

Unfortunately, it's hard to do a Montreal 3 Stars column without picking some 3 Stars. Some nights it's pretty easy, others (like this one), it's a bit more challenging.

Add me to the list of those who would play Gonchar on Wednesday. Not that Pateryn is playing poorly, but a bit more poise on the back end, plus another PP threat, is needed. Taking Subban off the #1 unit isn't a crazy idea either. I think I advocated for that a while back actually, just to take away the crutch from the other players on the ice.

no pateryn hasn't played bad (although mad the critical error inside 2 minutes of the 2nd OT that cost us game 1)

gonchar in pateryn out.

PP1

marky gonchar

pp2

subban petry.

Thought Rose/Pelly played fine once again and was nice to see Eller get almost 3 minutes on the PP.

So how could Therrien of coached different so that Subban didn't take most costly penalty at end of 1st? And should of gone to dressing room up 1-0.

Don't think coaches draw up Subban spinarama's neither, but many fans cry that Subban needs to be unrestrained by coaches to play his best, well double the PP time of all others and mega minutes dosent seem to be all it was hoped for.

You would think he might see how effective Petry's wrist shot from point was?

- could of punched subban in the face when entering the blue line he decided to do 3 spina dramas while stralman stood there just jockeying him, what a joke... these guys need to take the puck hard too the net!!! and it seems we are in too deep for the rebounds to busy crashing the net and over pursuing rather then finding the puck. rebounds are there we are just in the blue paint and out of position

That can change really quickly, though. Dallas got Seguin and Spezza in the same calendar year. I'm not saying that's what is needed, but nothing is static.

My one hope is that they can extend the series to at least six games, so in the offseason we don't see the franchise crushing decisions teams like San Jose and Boston made to compete within the division. The playoffs are a game of inches, this team is shooting 2% right now.

There's a fundamental mistake with the team Bergevin has tried to build this year, he focused too much on depth. How much did Brian Flynn do last game versus someone like Charles Hudon?

For me, the obvious solution is to put Pacioretty back with Desharnais. Every frigging time we break those two up, the scoring dries up. Accept it. Galchenyuk was playing well with Plekanec, too.

Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Weise

So how did EGG do last night? I guess giving Eller some prime wingers did little to change the fact that he's a mediocre third line center.

you do realize it was only 1 game for a trio that hasn't played together since 20 games into last years season... not to mention galchenyuk is playing poorly.... give them a chance... they should be together again on wednesday. with more minutes!!

The Habs are finally playing a game in desperation mode. a game where the season is virtually on the line.... if I'm MT I'm doing this...

patch plex weise

galchenyuk eller gallagher

prust DD smith pelly

delarose mitchell flynn

markov subban

emelin petry

gonchar gilbert

price

PP1

subban** eller patch

markov gonchar

PP2

gallagher plex galchenyuk

subban petry

**playing the left half boards if he is going to stay on the 1st wave

-we will have 3 one timers subban righty patch lefty and gonch lefty and 1 QB markov in a box formation.

- eller in front of the net screening and digging out rebounds.

- subban becomes more of major decoy as the PK will naturally gravitate to him expecting the one timer from the half wall creating that lateral movement by bishop who is leaning that way....

it only works though with 2 lefties on the point because gonch can feed both half walls and markov can work the whole right side for one timers.... this has been montreals bread and butter for forever...

think camallarri and AK27 on the half boards or souray, streit on the right point....

i mentioned this ions ago and MT did it for like 2 periods....

if you have a righty on the right point the one timer is never there because of the criss cross and pk on the left will shoot 100% of the time rather then seeing the seem pass to say patch for the one timer.

marky as witnessed through a million games just doesn't work with PK because he has to square up and telegraph his one timer pass to make it work or flip it over on the back hand leaving way to big a gap between the 2 allowing the Def to square up. or they are in to tight!

here i am doing MT's job again over analyzing this bulls*t

I'm telling you its fool proof;)

as for prust....

one of the few if not only guy willing to play his heart out every shift, standing up to players, enforcers, goons, coaches and even refs for his team. sure he was running around a little but with score out of reach i think he was trying to get cobourn to drop and he did! the guy wears his heart on his sleeve and will do absolutely anything for his teammates. one of our best penalty killers to boot!

sure he has the "hands of stone" but thats 1 con to go against the many pros.

ill take him any day of the week as a bottom 6 player!!

Which top six forwards found new homes last July that Bergevin could of signed/afforded? Vanek is all I can think of and I think majority didn't want to see him in a Hab jersey.

St Louis, Tampa, Nashville, Rangers. Islanders, Chicago, Pittsburgh all traded away 2015 1st picks for cup run and only will be worthwhile to one of them to skip on a 'supposed' deep draft.

And Habs aint quite done yet, would be great to see another comeback like Bruins had in 2011.

Unlikely and odds are now 20-1 Habs win cup, but Habs also were counted out last year when lost game 5 to Bruins.

GHG!

Which top six forwards found new homes last July that Bergevin could of signed/afforded? Vanek is all I can think of and I think majority didn't want to see him in a Hab jersey.

St Louis, Tampa, Nashville, Rangers. Islanders, Chicago, Pittsburgh all traded away 2015 1st picks for cup run and only will be worthwhile to one of them to skip on a 'supposed' deep draft.

And Habs aint quite done yet, would be great to see another comeback like Bruins had in 2011.

Unlikely and odds are now 20-1 Habs win cup, but Habs also were counted out last year when lost game 5 to Bruins.

GHG!

The only guys I can remember from last years Free agency that would be classified as top 6 at the time and actually hit free agency were: Vanek, moulson, Iginla, cammalleri, Vrbata, Statsny. I remember we were in on Vrbata but he chose Vancouver to play with Sedins. I don't remember who else was available.

One of the funny things in this series seems to have been the ambivalence of the Bell Centre crowd. (I say this as a TV viewer - who knows, in person it might be totally different). I don't mean them walking out during the blowout - that's normal; but even when the games were tight, the crowd seemed edgy and quiet rather than jubilant or energized. It's as if everyone almost expected the Habs not to be able to score and therefore to lose - or like the crowd wasn't 100% convinced by this bunch and was waiting for the team to make 'em believe. Weird ambience. Not what we've come to expect from Montreal fans in recent playoffs.

That is a good observation, maybe that goes hand in hand with ticket sales being slow for Montreal. I notice the same thing, it just doesn't have that full blow support we are used to seeing.

That is a good observation, maybe that goes hand in hand with ticket sales being slow for Montreal. I notice the same thing, it just doesn't have that full blow support we are used to seeing.

I would speculate it is a return to deeply engrained habits that were obscured during the years of awfulness. The Montreal Forum used to be renown for its stony silences greeting poor play by the home team. I think that Montreal Canadiens fans are very different once they come to expect a contender. No longer kowabunga go-Habs-go maniacs...more like connoisseurs waiting to see if the waiter is going to bring a suitably fine wine. We may start seeing quite a different beast in the Bell Centre over the next few years.

The only guys I can remember from last years Free agency that would be classified as top 6 at the time and actually hit free agency were: Vanek, moulson, Iginla, cammalleri, Vrbata, Statsny. I remember we were in on Vrbata but he chose Vancouver to play with Sedins. I don't remember who else was available.

Moulson or Vrbata seem only 2 worthwhile (or affordable, 3 yr contract fro Iginla no thanks) for 30 teams to fight over. Slim pickins.

One of the funny things in this series seems to have been the ambivalence of the Bell Centre crowd. (I say this as a TV viewer - who knows, in person it might be totally different). I don't mean them walking out during the blowout - that's normal; but even when the games were tight, the crowd seemed edgy and quiet rather than jubilant or energized. It's as if everyone almost expected the Habs not to be able to score and therefore to lose - or like the crowd wasn't 100% convinced by this bunch and was waiting for the team to make 'em believe. Weird ambience. Not what we've come to expect from Montreal fans in recent playoffs.

broken plays, flip the puck off the glass every time, stretches of ugly hockey will silence any crown. The first tbay montreal game was better that some of the boring hockey played in games 2 and 5 against sens.

GHG!

Habs need to tear a page from the Sens book. Down 3-0 in the series they made some adjustments, did not roll over and made a comeback. Habs need to do that.

Habs need to tear a page from the Sens book. Down 3-0 in the series they made some adjustments, did not roll over and made a comeback. Habs need to do that.

well the news of DD not travelling with the team will be a huge adjustment in its self...

who is going to play centre because we can't possibly go with plex eller mitchell flynn.

the question is do we go with malholtra and completely lock down the face off circle or switch galchenyuk to C and hope this is the switch, the trigger he needs to awaken (if he ever will) and help us on the score board... of course we could always go with the young 18 yr old delarose at centre as well.

plex

eller

galchenyuk

mitchell

or

plex

eller

mitchell

malholtra

or

plex

eller

mitchell

de la rose

do we have a scoring winger option for paranteau?

Prust is a great guy and works hard, however he takes some dumb penalties. For the last year he has not been as effective as he was previously, at least it seemed to me. Too many injuries? He was not injured this year, he played 82 games, is he playing to protect himself and not get hurt? Wouldn't be the first guy. So yeah it is time to move on get what you can. He has one more year, I believe, so move him out. As to the comments after the game..... well if what he says is true and I have no reason to disbelieve him, then the ref should be fired. There is no way a ref can call a player a mother forker and a coward etc and remain ref in this league I hope.

We lost this game because we can't score, same as many other games, we are not going to learn to score overnight. It is a sad day for Habs fans, cause this has been coming for a while. They had a statisticaly great year, playoffs are different. You play the same team night after night and you both learn what the other can do. TB knows we can't score so it is balls to wall and shoot. Not big enough to keep them at bay so they run over us. We can beat these guys but we have got to score. We have to score 5 on 5 and we must score on the PP. We have some very good players so what is the problem? We need some lines that will produce some offence cahnces just aren't good enough, the puck has to get in the net. We knew we were going to lose this game at 3-1 so running Bishop was a good plan should have done more of it. We need to get him out of his comfort zone and we need their defenceman to be looking for anything but the puck. Jam the net. They have been trying but the leader of that group is about 5 ft 6. We need Smith Pelley getting in there and hitting and bumping and grinding along with Brendon.

Anyway very tough night, we can beat these guys but right now our guys are shell shocked. They need someone to snap them out of it and get the ball rolling, I really feel if they can get a 2 goal lead and win a game this series will change dramatically. these are just my ramblings on a frustrating night. :habslogo:

Good post HR. We owned that game and, just like in the last game , took dumbass penalties and handed all our hard work over to them. I was VERY frustrated at that. We out chanced them in the 1st game and outplayed them. We should be 2 up.. and if we do what we do without the shiphead penalties, we'll win. We owned them.

as for prust....

one of the few if not only guy willing to play his heart out every shift, standing up to players, enforcers, goons, coaches and even refs for his team. sure he was running around a little but with score out of reach i think he was trying to get cobourn to drop and he did! the guy wears his heart on his sleeve and will do absolutely anything for his teammates. one of our best penalty killers to boot!

sure he has the "hands of stone" but thats 1 con to go against the many pros.

ill take him any day of the week as a bottom 6 player!!

Yup. He's been impressive all year, but I think his hands are a little harder than stone... :bonk: