The Drive to Stay Alive...and improve to .500 at home - Lightning vs Habs, Game 5

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

Great game and win, but I'm surprised Therrien doesn't play the hot stick more. Pelly barely played after burying and that goal was snipped

100% agree IF they can lock him up under $5m. Anymore than that and we are going to be in cap trouble.

Regardless if we lock him up, I really hope we can unload Gilbert. Hour is a heartache waiting to happen.

If we manage to unload Gilbert, PAP and emelin, we should still be able to sign Petry AND get some scoring help.

Scoring be damned. If MB doesn't sign Petry I will be choked. Lock him up for 5 years. They know what they have. They know he fits in in Montreal.

Guest Stogey24

100% agree IF they can lock him up under $5m. Anymore than that and we are going to be in cap trouble.

Regardless if we lock him up, I really hope we can unload Gilbert. Hour is a heartache waiting to happen.

Gilbert has been worlds better though.

Gilbert has been worlds better though.

He has been better if late, but still really struggles to get the puck out and more often than not, makes the wrong play.

If we manage to unload Gilbert, PAP and emelin, we should still be able to sign Petry AND get some scoring help.

I agree, to me Petry is the exact type of defenseman Bergevin was looking for to replace Gorges. Now that you found it don't let it go.

Guest Stogey24

He has been better if late, but still really struggles to get the puck out and more often than not, makes the wrong play.

Start of tonight's game he looked real bad in his.own end

I am amazed we didn't get a single penalty all game. After the Prust debacle, I thought for sure the zebras would hammer us for the rest of the playoffs at least. No one wants to hear this, but full credit has to go to Therrien for really hammering down on any whiff of indiscipline. I think he's made a priority of having the team avoid penalties since then. His hollering at Eller when #81 kicked the goalies stick away in Game Four really seems to have made the point.

Game Five was like pretty much every other non-blowout game of the series. Habs control the play the bulk of the time and substantially outchance 'em, but Tampa manages to get in some few very, very dangerous looks despite that. I was terrified they were going to win yet ANOTHER unmerited victory. But justice prevails. If TB continue to be the more opportunistic team, what's happening now is that the Habs are actually getting rewarded now and then for their efforts - the ridiculous % of goalposts notwithstanding. The percentages are evening out, just as the Habs had been saying would happen all series.

Incidentally, I must be missing something, but it seems to me Gilbert's playoff has been strong. He eats hard minutes, effectively albeit unspectacularly. I don't know why anyone would crap on his head at this particular juncture. Indeed, the whole team has played well - Markov has finally upped his game, and that massively helps. No passengers here; even Galy is flying.

Game Six will be the hardest game of the series to win. It's a long shot, but I believe we can do it.

• Upvote 1

OK so I have been the #1 critic of the PP and I have taken the slings and arrows that come with that, however even though we did not score, the PP looked great, keep this one cause it will work. Petry main reason, he provided a different view and more creativity. We have to sign him if we can. Great team effort, very few let downs , hard on them all night. We need to keep this up. 12 goal posts by the habs (IN THIS SERIES) is incredible. This series would be a whole lot different if half of those went in. We can win this series, AND WE WILL. WE MUST AND IT HAS TO BE, Dammit.

• Upvote 1

OK so I have been the #1 critic of the PP and I have taken the slings and arrows that come with that, however even though we did not score, the PP looked great, keep this one cause it will work. Petry main reason, he provided a different view and more creativity. We have to sign him if we can. Great team effort, very few let downs , hard on them all night. We need to keep this up. 12 goal posts by the habs (IN THIS SERIES) is incredible. This series would be a whole lot different if half of those went in. We can win this series, AND WE WILL. WE MUST AND IT HAS TO BE, Dammit.

if even 2 of those those went in games 1 and 3... and ya the better power play has nothing to do with MT finally going with 2 same shooting defensemen at the point and off wings on the half boards and sticking with it for more then a period... been preaching this since last year, everybody is dangerous!!..

the next question is what is up with emelin? he didn't return from that head shot. I'm interested in seeing the replay only to see if stomachs moves or raises his arm?

does beaulieau move up the line up?

markov pk

beau petry

gilbert pateryn

stamkos*

As far as I am concerned, every game is a bonus at this point. I was terrified with the few brief moments that Tampa actually dominated. We stand a chance if we can keep that energy level up. Who'd thought? I really like the forwards shooting from the center of the ice, instead of the wing all the time. Still seeing from time to time, weak shots on net conceding possession. Get a ticket for game 7, will be special.

the next question is what is up with emelin? he didn't return from that head shot. I'm interested in seeing the replay only to see if stomachs moves or raises his arm?

does beaulieau move up the line up?

markov pk

beau petry

gilbert pateryn

stamkos*

Emelin ran into his shoulder. A little push back from stamkos shoulder but not much.

Plekanec/Mitchell 14-33, while DD/Eller 16-24 on faceoffs.

Tampa had zero PPs!

Emelin/Weise/Pelly had 14 hits.

Beaulieu played a quiet 14:29.

Plekanec/Mitchell 14-33, while DD/Eller 16-24 on faceoffs.

Tampa had zero PPs!

Emelin/Weise/Pelly had 14 hits.

Beaulieu played a quiet 14:29.

anyone paired with Gilbert gets a hand for having a good/quiet game.

Guest Stogey24

Emelin ran into his shoulder. A little push back from stamkos shoulder but not much.

Emelin flops around a lot too, but that one looked like it hurt

Guest Stogey24

Did anybody ever hear why there was only a two minute penalty on that high stick when clearly there was blood drawn?

I don't think it's actually that rule if the guy is bleeding, it's a penalty? I think its more to the refs discretion. I was surprised too though

Extra 2 minutes if "injury" results from high stick, so any blood is injury and automatic 4 minutes (I think is rule)

That was the 5th or 6th game in a row with a good start and was noted Habs have outshot Tampa in most of periods in series.

Extra 2 minutes if "injury" results from high stick, so any blood is injury and automatic 4 minutes (I think is rule)

That was the 5th or 6th game in a row with a good start and was noted Habs have outshot Tampa in most of periods in series.

Yeah, I always understood the 4 minutes to be automatic. And then there was the second stick infraction (was it the one on Emelin?) that also drew blood that wasn't called at all. I think these bizarre decisions have to be understood simply as the refs not wanting to invite accusations of handing Montreal the game - especially after not calling a single penalty on the Habs all night. Typical NHL B.S., but that's par for the course so there's no use in getting rankled about it.

Well they called Petry for hooking but gave Tampa guy a diving penalty right at start of game.

BUT, were zero Tampa PPs and Habs did have 3.

Yes, owners ask for a different set of rules to be used in playoffs and is normal bushleague crap by them.

Poor refs are in a tough position to call infractions on the millionaires but still keep the billionaires happy and let some 'Normal' penalties go uncalled.

Well hope that the combo of; dlbalr's spinning logos and our Polish Habfan kutermoga's Romanian Rain Dance can keep Habs on track for historic comeback. :thumbs_up:

• Upvote 1