Petry 6 year deal!

DON

Pleasant suprise!! Loves Montreal and is positive about the future. A moral booster, big time. No drawn out negotiation. Now for more action at the other end of the rink. More goals and a place in next years Stanley Cup final is no longer a dream but an ever closer reality. Bravo!!!

I really don't like Sather as a GM but I gotta say he has made the Rags into a real team.

Ditto ...Arrogant bastard , but he has built a great team. Leads league in play off games over last 5 years. With two different coaches.

Ditto ...Arrogant bastard , but he has built a great team. Leads league in play off games over last 5 years. With two different coaches.

If the habs had traded away their last 5 first rounders ......... who would not be in the line up? Who would we not have....Chucky? Interesting question? who would we have gotten for them. Sather has done well.

First rounders are great...........if you pick an develop players well. Not always written in stone which way to go.

Markov Subban

Beaulieu Petry

Tinordi Pateryn

Gilbert

Emelin's salary has to be reallocated to fund a top 6 upgrade. I know he has a NTC but MB was ruthless with Gorges. Tired to trade him to the Leafs. Then threatened to place him on waivers if he wasn't cooperative. Gorges and his clause were given very little respect or consideration when it came to business for MB. PAP will probably be in the same boat.

Petry gets a full NMC for the first three years of the deal. After that, it's a partial NTC where he can block a trade to 15 teams.

I am going to take a wild stab in the dark and say Edmonchuck is on any list he has.

Markov Subban

Beaulieu Petry

Tinordi Pateryn

Gilbert

Emelin's salary has to be reallocated to fund a top 6 upgrade. I know he has a NTC but MB was ruthless with Gorges. Tired to trade him to the Leafs. Then threatened to place him on waivers if he wasn't cooperative. Gorges and his clause were given very little respect or consideration when it came to business for MB. PAP will probably be in the same boat.

Markov and Subban pairing has to be spilt up. AM cant do big minutes against top dogs all season long and have anything left for play offs..............Proven fact.

Markov and Subban pairing has to be spilt up. AM cant do big minutes against top dogs all season long and have anything left for play offs..............Proven fact.

Beaulieu Subban

Tinordi Petry

Markov Pateryn

I agree. Ideally I'd like to see this. Reducing Marky to 16-18 mins a night.

Two first rounders for two years + Callahan for St. Louis is just dumb.

If the Gomez deal wasn't made, NYR are barely a playoff team - and sathsr didn't even know who McDonough was, his scouts insisted on McDonough.

If the habs had traded away their last 5 first rounders ......... who would not be in the line up? Who would we not have....Chucky? Interesting question? who would we have gotten for them. Sather has done well.

First rounders are great...........if you pick an develop players well. Not always written in stone which way to go.

I could see the Avs being interested, they are thin on defense. I think emelin can still become a 2nd pair dman, but could use a change in scenery.

So Emelin is being viewed as a salary dump? He's unlikely to go to a lottery team and I don't know how many contenders are looking for a number 4/5 that makes a mint. Physicality isn't as valued now as it was four or five years ago.

Yes 1st rounders like Price, Pacioretty, McDonagh, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Scherbak, Tinordi, McCarron, would not be a big deal to draft them or pass on them eh?

And lack of drafting any 1st rounders for 4 years including 2016, will hurt Rangers down the road moreso than today, but still got St. Louis, Nash, Yandle.

Terrific news on Petry. What a treat he is to watch.. and how could he not love Montreal? Excellent! Well done MB

Yes 1st rounders like Price, Pacioretty, McDonagh, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Scherbak, Tinordi, McCarron, would not be a big deal to draft them or pass on them eh?

And lack of drafting any 1st rounders for 4 years including 2016, will hurt Rangers down the road moreso than today, but still got St. Louis, Nash, Yandle.

I said first rounders from last 5 years. Price was drafted 9 years ago. Pacs 8. Macdonogh 8 and I mentioned Chucky. NB I like, despite how much you have slagged him.

You for got to mention the Flower. :nuts:

So Emelin is being viewed as a salary dump? He's unlikely to go to a lottery team and I don't know how many contenders are looking for a number 4/5 that makes a mint. Physicality isn't as valued now as it was four or five years ago.

Its not? Tampa has four huge d that play a physical game and just last night were pounding Kane, Teows, Shaw, Saad all game. Hawks have Kieth, Odulia, Rozival (injured) and of course Seabrook (hammered Stampkos last night and out and out flattened Johnson) Both these teams have very physical defense men and are playing for the cup.

"physicality isnt valued now" The two finalists value it.

No one is going to mistake odaiya or Keith as physical dman. Both are undersized skating dmen. Both are a lot more skilled than emelin. Apples and oranges comparasion.

Its not? Tampa has four huge d that play a physical game and just last night were pounding Kane, Teows, Shaw, Saad all game. Hawks have Kieth, Odulia, Rozival (injured) and of course Seabrook (hammered Stampkos last night and out and out flattened Johnson) Both these teams have very physical defense men and are playing for the cup.

"physicality isnt valued now" The two finalists value it.

No one is going to mistake odaiya or Keith as physical dman. Both are undersized skating dmen. Both are a lot more skilled than emelin. Apples and oranges comparasion.

There's no comparison whatsover. Teams that are looking for what Emelin brings can get a better player like Cody Franson or a cheaper one like Adam McQuaid for free. If Gorges was only good for an expiring contract or a 2nd in 2017, I don't have much hope for Emelin.

One thing is good balance on defense;

RH - Subban, Petry, Pateryn, Gilbert

LH - Beaulieu, Markov, Emelin, Tinordi

The fact that we got Petry at below market value really puts the amazing deal we're getting on Pacioretty's contract into perspective, doesn't it?

MaxPac's contract is the best in the league (despite what some idiot toronto writer wrote last year), but that doesn't necessarily mean Petry's is below market value. I think Stralman's contract is much better (both $ and term). Some idiot GM may have paid more, but I see Petry as a $4.5-$5M Dman and we paid an extra $500k for the Quebec tax premium.

Just because some GM will be stupid, doesn't mean that a stupid offer is market value. I see the Ference/Wiz and other similar contracts to be way above market value by stupid gm's.

I'll wait to see what Franson, Sekera and Mike Green get.

Why, who cares what they get paid? Didnt you want a top 4 upgrade, I know many have been clamoring for one for couple years.

Also, Petry is a different d-man than those, Franson and Green are both scary defensively (Caps/Nashville dont see them as worth keeping) and dont know Sekera, never noticed him before.

I'll wait to see what Franson, Sekera and Mike Green get.

And that will prove what exactly? Petry is better than all 3. Franson and Sekera are ok but Green I don't want.