Petry 6 year deal!

DON

There's no way Gilbert gets bought out. He'd have a bit of value around the league as he is a serviceable third pairing player that's not on a crazy contract.

I also should remind everyone that Emelin has a full NTC. Keep that in mind when dreaming about sending him to bottom feeder teams.

Gorges had a ntc also but he was traded.

Edited by Habsfan1989

Gorges had a ntc also but he was traded.

Yep. He also vetoed the first deal that they made. (Of course, he then went to another bottom feeder which was a bit odd...) An NTC makes it less likely that those players will get dealt to lousy teams, we've seen that around the league quite a few times. They'll likely accept a move to a good team, just not the bad ones very often.

Guest Stogey24

Yep. He also vetoed the first deal that they made. (Of course, he then went to another bottom feeder which was a bit odd...) An NTC makes it less likely that those players will get dealt to lousy teams, we've seen that around the league quite a few times. They'll likely accept a move to a good team, just not the bad ones very often.

Never understood that move by Gorges

I keep hearing Pleks and Emelin to Col for O'Reilly..I don't think Emelin would refuse to go to Col? Young team with tons of potential and in need of veteran D..and one year removed from a division title

You do realize Tinordi and Beaulieu are both left handed and play the left side right? This signing has nothing to do with keeping them out of the lineup.

I like the deal but am a bit worried since I've only seen him the short time with the Habs. Hoping it's not a guy playing over his head during his UFA year

How so? That's one more NHL defenseman. Wouldn't a guy like Tinordi or Beaulieu lose his job over a forward or a fireman or something?

I love this deal and that Petry took less than market value to sign here. It says a lot for the attitude that Montreal has created in their locker room.

I do have to think that Gilbert is now expendable and will be flipped for a draft pick to replace one used to acquire Petry.

Huge development and one that definitely makes us more of a contender. MB just needs to find a cheap way of unloading PAP and Gilbert and we're laughing all the way to next year's trade deadline.

I didn't want to go over $5m, but I guess you have to factor in the Quebec tax premium.

This better mean we move Emelin and hopefully Gilbert. We need room to add some offense. I wouldn't mind keeping Emelin if we can dump PAP and move either pleks or DD for an upgrades at centre and the wing.

Great player to lock up. Now this season (with Petry) Markovs ice time has to be cut back. Ludicrous to match him minute for minute with a work horse like Subban. I want Markov playing his best hockey in April not January.

The decline of Markov is part of what made signing Petry necessary IMHO. With Beaulieu coming up and Petry signed, we are finally in a position where gradually phasing out #79 no longer seems fatal. (Not that Petry is nearly as good as Markov in his prime, just that - assuming further growth from Nate the Grate - we will be able to absorb his decline without much of an impact).

I really like the signing in part because it means we didn't piss away those draft picks; rather we traded them for a player who has just entered his prime. Also, this was quite a shrewd move by Bergy...he clearly had identified Petry as a player he wanted, and like Gainey did with Kovalev, he went out and got him at the deadline with the idea that the experience would sell him on Montreal. It all worked out nicely.

Once #79's contract ends in two years, we will be able to adopt a more 'balanced' salary structure vis-a-vis FWs and D.

Great player to lock up. Now this season (with Petry) Markovs ice time has to be cut back. Ludicrous to match him minute for minute with a work horse like Subban. I want Markov playing his best hockey in April not January.

Yep.

I like all things about the deal, defense first, that's the way it is in Habland.

Petry is in his prime, and will give us great service over the entire term of this contract, and in a couple years the contract will look like a bargain.

Also like the idea that the "team" concept in Montreal is now a key to sign free agents/good players wanting to come here.

With the core we have, it's no longer a place that is not desired for various reasons, like it once was, and Toronto is now, it's a great room, and players see the potential of this team, as do some of the non-negative fans...

Agree that it seems a good sign him wanting to stay in HabLand. Simply haven't heard much negativity surrounding Habs since Bergevin has taken over (aside from the constant BS from cynics who will never be happy).

On another site their nickname for Bergevin is "BargainBin" because he doesn't get top stars and instead is always trying to look for a deal (Weise, Mitchell, Flynn, etc.)

That's a bunch of crap. I've been referring to Bergevin's "bargain basement" for years.

I suppose the thinking behind Gilbert was that he would help us get more offense because he can move the puck, well that didn't happen, and we got the most puck movin-est dman on the market. I look forward to some wildly entertaining hockey in 2015-2016.

When Price goes back to .920-.925 land this team is effed. But that's Bergevin, he's just happy to make the playoffs.

On another site their nickname for Bergevin is "BargainBin" because he doesn't get top stars and instead is always trying to look for a deal (Weise, Mitchell, Flynn, etc.)

Another site! You two timing us?

Bergevin could be like Sather and keep trading 1st round picks going for cup every year I suppose.

I don't see any problem with that. You can't hit a home run every time. The players aren't available. He has managed to tweak the team for cheap. Last time I checked that was the GM's job. He picked up Petry on a relatively cheap deal, compared to what he would have gotten on the open market. And I say BRAVO. Now go get some offense you cheap son of a :)

Guest Stogey24

He has a soft spot for grinders because he was one

I think it was basically "anywhere but forking Trawana" :) And I agree with that sentiment.

Here here! I have more respect for him ever since he nixed the deal with Toronto. Can anyone really blame the guy for not wanting to go to Toronto!?!?

• Upvote 1

I gotta say that I really like this signing by Bergevin. Petry is only now entering his prime years. I expect good things from him for the next 6 years!

Now, can we get some size and offense up front? And can we stop all the non sense with Galchenyuk. Just put him at center and leave him there!

Another site! You two timing us?

Bergevin could be like Sather and keep trading 1st round picks going for cup every year I suppose.

I really don't like Sather as a GM but I gotta say he has made the Rags into a real team.