Could Kessel end up a Hab?

JVD

Guest Stogey24

Apparently Smith-Pelly and Subban are training together this summer. We all know what a work horse P.K is. Definitely a good thing

What we need is for someone more than Pacioretty to take a huge step forward. Id prefer a center *Caughlchenyuk* but if any of the others can emerge into a responsible 70point player id be happy and the team would be alot better. Getting the PP to function again might do the job for us.

A very good scenario would be if Price plays a little worse next season but an improved PP fixes that and then Price goes into godmode just in time when the playoffs begin. Dont think we need much more than that to be really fighting for that cup.

Trading away the future for Patrick Sharp or Kessel is something I think is a horrible misstake.

What we need is for someone more than Pacioretty to take a huge step forward. Id prefer a center *Caughlchenyuk* but if any of the others can emerge into a responsible 70point player id be happy and the team would be alot better. Getting the PP to function again might do the job for us.oal than plekanic last season.........

A very good scenario would be if Price plays a little worse next season but an improved PP fixes that and then Price goes into godmode just in time when the playoffs begin. Dont think we need much more than that to be really fighting for that cup.

Trading away the future for Patrick Sharp or Kessel is something I think is a horrible misstake.

Kessels salary for the upcoming season is 10Mill. He and Gallagher tied in goals scored last season. No we dont want him.

Wondering of Sharp would cost that much. 33. Coming off just an pk season. Hawks would be happy to move his high salary. Lowering what they would accept in return? Maybe.

Apparently Smith-Pelly and Subban are training together this summer. We all know what a work horse P.K is. Definitely a good thing

Yes that would be. PK a fitness guru himself.

I'd offer PAP, Tinordi, Reway, and a 1st in 2016. Get Kessel and they eat a million of his salary every year.

Nothing more. Take it or leave it.

I'd offer PAP, Tinordi, Reway, and a 1st in 2016. Get Kessel and they eat a million of his salary every year.

Nothing more. Take it or leave it.

Gotta think they would "leave it", it's not gonna do it.

• Upvote 1

As I said before, Kessel comes with some baggage. -72 over the last few years. Yikes.

If they think they'll get for him what they gave Boston, then Kessel will be a Leaf for life.

As I said before, Kessel comes with some baggage. -72 over the last few years. Yikes.

If they think they'll get for him what they gave Boston, then Kessel will be a Leaf for life.

Could some of his bad recent +/- be attributable to the fact he has been on some lousy teams? When you're consistently on losing teams, your +/- is likely to be regularly in the negatives simply as a result of being on a team that allows a lot more goals than they score. He has been with the Leafs for six years and made the playoffs once. Anyone that has been there that long isn't going to have a good +/- rating.

He has made the playoffs in three seasons in his career. In those years, he's a combined +14 (granted, this is largely skewed by one positive season). In non-playoff years, he's -88. Does that mean he's more willing to play two-way hockey if he's on a competitive team? Maybe, maybe not. My guess is that Shanahan/Dubas/Hunter/whoever is on the phone might be trying to argue that.

Could some of his bad recent +/- be attributable to the fact he has been on some lousy teams? When you're consistently on losing teams, your +/- is likely to be regularly in the negatives simply as a result of being on a team that allows a lot more goals than they score. He has been with the Leafs for six years and made the playoffs once. Anyone that has been there that long isn't going to have a good +/- rating.

He has made the playoffs in three seasons in his career. In those years, he's a combined +14 (granted, this is largely skewed by one positive season). In non-playoff years, he's -88. Does that mean he's more willing to play two-way hockey if he's on a competitive team? Maybe, maybe not. My guess is that Shanahan/Dubas/Hunter/whoever is on the phone might be trying to argue that.

Or they are on their knees begging and pleading for someone to take him. Just another option. :)

I think +/- is relative, is his much worse than average top six leaf?

The three worst on the team Kessel -34 JVR -33 Bozak -34 nobody else is all that close within 10.

Hinting that kessel and his line get scored on a lot more than most, if not every first line in the NHL .

Kessels salary is 10 Mill for next season. Leafs will want prospects/draft picks/ or young star and nothing else for him. No way in the world does MB "change his philosophy" for a ten million dollar, out of shape, one dimensional winger who just came off a 25 goal season.

Indeed...as I noted earlier, many of the same people yelling at Bergevin for not making the Big Move for a scoring forward simultaneously reject the idea of acquiring Phil Kessel (!), because his cap hit is massive and he has holes in his game, and because the speculated returns seem too high.

So to sum up: MB is being commanded to acquire an elite offensive forward who is also responsible defensively, has excellent character, and a modest cap hit, in return for spare parts; and any failure to do this is a sign of obvious incompetence or a lack of a will to win. That's not 'armchair GMing.' That's la-la land.

At least JVD had the coherence to say he would trade Subban to get that elusive impact C. I think that's madness, but at least it shows an awareness that, barring freak events, all-stars don't just drop into your lap for free.

Well said.

Desharnais was a +22 last season.

It's almost like plus minus is... flawed?

;)

His sidekick was first in NHL in that category at +38.

Or they are on their knees begging and pleading for someone to take him. Just another option. :)

I am gonna guess the Kessel goes to islanders and Celine Dion becomes an Oiler

If the price is right, and T-O retains salary, then yes I'd acquire Kessel. And if I were MT I'd put him with Alex and Max and turn them loose. Everybody else plays "The System" and waits for the turnovers

There's no way I'd want 8 years of Kessel unless Toronto picks up AT LEAST $3m in salary. He is 27,doesn't take care of himself and is an extremely immature 27. Most pure goal scorers tend to have a decline in there number at 28 or 29. Those that don't take care of their body tend to have dramatic drops. If we are only on the hook for around $5m, he may at least be tradeable in the future. At $8m, we are talking about a gomez type anchor.

If the price is right, and T-O retains salary, then yes I'd acquire Kessel. And if I were MT I'd put him with Alex and Max and turn them loose. Everybody else plays "The System" and waits for the turnovers

There's no way I'd want 8 years of Kessel unless Toronto picks up AT LEAST $3m in salary. He is 27,doesn't take care of himself and is an extremely immature 27. Most pure goal scorers tend to have a decline in there number at 28 or 29. Those that don't take care of their body tend to have dramatic drops. If we are only on the hook for around $5m, he may at least be tradeable in the future. At $8m, we are talking about a gomez type anchor.

Agreed 100%

If Kessel cost $5M, teams would be offering their best prospect and two first rounders. Very few players in the NHL put up his points at $5M. You're spoiled from Pacioretty's contract.

• Upvote 1