2015 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Today was the deadline for qualifying offers. The notable-ish names not qualified:

Mark Barberio (Tampa Bay)

Jordan Caron (Colorado) - former 1st rounder

Ben Hanowski (Calgary) - part of the Iginla to Pittsburgh deal

Andrew MacWilliam (Toronto) - decent stay at home D prospect, this one surprises me

Riley Nash (Carolina)

Tyler Pitlick (Edmonton) - high 2nd round pick never panned out

Ryan Stanton (Vancouver)

Yannick Weber (Vancouver)

No major names in there but a couple of somewhat young players that could be worthy of a two-way deal in there. From the Habs, Drayson Bowman and Eric Tangradi were let go.

I like Mark Barberio. I wouldn't mind seeing the Habs sign him if they didn't have an assload full of NHL ready D.

That seems like an idiotic deal for San Jose. They could have had Eddie Lack for a 3rd-rounder, for God's sake. I will never understand NHL GMs' approach to the goalie market.

In the end, then, the Prunes got great return on Lucic. The only thing you can say about that is that Lucic's skill-set is quite unique - he is literally impossible to replace, and in that sense he's one of those guys who probably should not be traded at all. All of this assumes, however, that his struggles last season are aberrant rather than the new normal for him. Given that his dad died and the team was in melt-down mode, 'aberrant' might well describe it.

They say Kings wouldn't trade Jones to San Jose neither and made a slimy backroom agreement that Boston was not to trade him to San Jose neither? Any truth to it?

They say Kings wouldn't trade Jones to San Jose neither and made a slimy backroom agreement that Boston was not to trade him to San Jose neither? Any truth to it?

The Habs made a back door agreement with San Jose as part of the Niklas Sundstrom trade to not deal Jeff Hackett to Boston and they turned around and flipped him there anyways. You can't legally make it part of a transaction so there's nothing they can do about it. Whether it happened or not (it probably did) doesn't really much matter as a result.

Scratch one name off the UFA list as Drew Stafford signs a 2 year, $8.7 M deal to stay with Winnipeg. That's one less player in our UFA pool as well...there's still time to enter.

But your supposed to play nice in sandbox and not backstab another GM, or god forbid give Tarasenko/Galchenyuk-type an offer sheet (if have the picks of course)

(e.g. Burke-Lowe commotion several years ago)

Playing nice is fine but if it gets in the way of a good trade, most would do the deal. This isn't the same as an offer sheet which not only would blacklist you with the team the RFA plays for, but several teams who abide by the unwritten rule. The Kings made a request (which officially was all it was) for Jones not to be moved there. Boston considered it and essentially said no. I wouldn't expect any more Boston-LA deals for a bit but there won't be other repercussions.

Holy crap! Hearing Saad has been traded to Columbus?? MB better have at least looked into that!!!

Holy crap! Hearing Saad has been traded to Columbus?? MB better have at least looked into that!!!

I'm sure he did since it was rumored he did a lot of talking to Bowman over the weekend. Probably out of his price range both player wise and cap wise.

Again, who says first liners aren't available? Didn't cost a Carey Price in return, either.

The Montreal version of the trade is probably something like Gallagher and Scherbak plus Saad wants 6.5m per. Dano isn't a nobody he'd probably be our top prospect.

Saad to Columbus. Did not see that one happening. Doesn't look like the greatest return but they obviously feared a team sending an offer sheet tmrw.

Wonder what this means for Sharp?

Again, who says first liners aren't available? Didn't cost a Carey Price in return, either.

Yep. I kept hearing how to get a major piece we'd have to move MaxPac, Price, or SUbban. Whatever!

I don[t see the return here to even equal galchenyuk or Gallagher.

Yep. I kept hearing how to get a major piece we'd have to move MaxPac, Price, or SUbban. Whatever!

Yeah, it's equal to a Gallagher and then some. Dano is a very good prospect whose worth is a 1st rounder, Anisimov is proven a 2nd/3rd line forward, while Morin still has some upside and is cheap. Gallagher's not worth that much in a trade.

And even if he was, there's still the matter of dealing with a $6.5 million asking price for Saad which would warrant other players having to be shipped out. Columbus had both the cap space and the extra young players to make this deal. Montreal didn't.

Considering the fact that the Habs and Hawks have talked trade recently, it's likely Bergevin was aware of the price. I figure I should get that in before the inevitable accusations of him sitting on his hands come through again.

He's afraid of making a mistake. Oh well, Dale Weise on the first line isn't half as bad as it sounds. That ensures the Nikita Sherbaks, Nobody Juulsens and cap space keeps coming!

Too bad Bergevin and Bowman never met to discuss anything.

Armchair GMs would of been able to swing a deal that made sense.

Fire Bergy!

You have to think Sharp's going to be on the move soon too. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets done by noon tomorrow if a team wants to beat the rush.

Bieksa goes to Anaheim for a 2nd rounder. How many more defencemen do they need?

Too bad Bergevin and Bowman never met to discuss anything.

Armchair GMs would of been able to swing a deal that made sense.

Fire Bergy!

Yeah, they did, and zip came of it. Do you want to get out the pom poms and cheer Bergevin for a meeting?

Bergevin's best forward acquisition has been Dale Weise. That deserves serious criticism, especially when the team was two wins away from a Cup Final appearance.

The return was pretty much Lars Eller, Nikita Scherbak, Michael Bournival and Dale Weise with a 4th.

I think we could have swung that. However, does Stan Bowman consider Eller/Scherbak/Bournival/Weise the same way he looks at Anisimov/Dano/Tropp/Morin? Doubt it.

But no, blame Marc Bergevin for not putting a voodoo spell on Stan Bowman and convincing him to send Saad over to the Habs. It's far more sensible.

The return was pretty much Lars Eller, Nikita Scherbak, Michael Bournival and Dale Weise with a 4th.

I think we could have swung that. However, does Stan Bowman consider Eller/Scherbak/Bournival/Weise the same way he looks at Anisimov/Dano/Tropp/Morin? Doubt it.

But no, blame Marc Bergevin for not putting a voodoo spell on Stan Bowman and convincing him to send Saad over to the Habs. It's far more sensible.

Nobody said that. Bergevin is being rightfully mocked for his fear tactic of suggesting a serious center upgrade would cost Carey Price.

It's really amazing how good the man is at PR. People expect next to nothing from him. He's like a French Shanahan, or the English vice versa. That really goes to show you how much of life is a popularity contest.