2015 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Lovett, you keep forgetting - conveniently - the Vanek trade. Nor do you seem to have an adequate response to Machine's analysis of this deal.

As I recall, Bergevin's 'Price' comment applied to the Big #1C, incidentally, not any top-6 FW.

• Upvote 3

Nobody said that. Bergevin is being rightfully mocked for his fear tactic of suggesting a serious center upgrade would cost Carey Price.

It's really amazing how good the man is at PR. People expect next to nothing from him. He's like a French Shanahan, or the English vice versa. That really goes to show you how much of life is a popularity contest.

Nobody said that, sure. Not word for word. But you did just in your last two posts complain about the fact Montreal didn't acquire him. Which means every time Montreal doesn't acquire a player, even if there was no chance to get that player, even if there was a chance and Bergevin was too busy playing EA Sports games, it's a failure in your eyes. "He's too afraid to make a mistake"

Throughout NHL history we have countless examples of teams taking a deal for one team when another team offered better. Heck, that just happened at the draft with Dougie Hamilton (Edmonton offered Darnel Nurse). Until there's any proof that Bergevin didn't make a package deal or only offered a weaker deal, your complaints are pretty empty.

Bergevin needs to find a #2 right winger and needs to decide whether putting Galchenyuk at center for the season is the right thing to do or upgrading on our current #2 center position. These are needs. He hasn't found a permanent top six right wing since coming to Montreal and that's a problem. However he has found temporary solutions in Vanek and Ryder which you decided to act like didn't exist to make your Dale Weise point. So I guess, cheers to that?

First round exit, third round exit, second round exit. Not going to complain about every time he sneezes unless this year the team takes a big step backwards.This year hasn't started yet.

• Upvote 2

Nobody said that, sure. Not word for word. But you did just in your last two posts complain about the fact Montreal didn't acquire him. Which means every time Montreal doesn't acquire a player, even if there was no chance to get that player, even if there was a chance and Bergevin was too busy playing EA Sports games, it's a failure in your eyes. "He's too afraid to make a mistake"

Throughout NHL history we have countless examples of teams taking a deal for one team when another team offered better. Heck, that just happened at the draft with Dougie Hamilton (Edmonton offered Darnel Nurse). Until there's any proof that Bergevin didn't make a package deal or only offered a weaker deal, your complaints are pretty empty.

Bergevin needs to find a #2 right winger and needs to decide whether putting Galchenyuk at center for the season is the right thing to do or upgrading on our current #2 center position. These are needs. He hasn't found a permanent top six right wing since coming to Montreal and that's a problem. However he has found temporary solutions in Vanek and Ryder which you decided to act like didn't exist to make your Dale Weise point. So I guess, cheers to that?

First round exit, third round exit, second round exit. Not going to complain about every time he sneezes unless this year the team takes a big step backwards.This year hasn't started yet.

Where did you read Nurse was included. The two offers i read about were just a better package of draft picks, with the exception that Calgary's 1st was a pick earlier than Edmonton's 1st.

Solutions work, though. Vanek had 10 good games and Ryder...well, at least he wasn't making paper airplanes in the press box this time.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

One thing I can guarantee-no forward upgrade, no Centre Ice for Lovett's Magnatones. A buddy of mine came into some moolah, and we'll have prime seats to the Florida Panthers. Now there's a team with some whizzbang! They've got Therrien's alterego behind the bench, Ekblad, Jagr and HOPE.

Without any upgrades on forward, or without a back to back MVP year from Price, this team is taking a step back. They were very healthy last year and the bounces were on their side. I don't know if this year will be as kind.

Oilers wouldn't include Nurse, was 'supposedly' the deal breaker.

And exact same could of been hold up for Saad to Habs, other than the obvious lack of capspace.

Bowman maybe asked for Scherbak & McCarron and was told where to go.

But for some to instantly complain with no real knowledge seems par for course. Am sure same critical group was complaining Habs need a top 4 upgrade on defense and also has conveniently omitted Beregvin got one for a 2nd round pick. Which seems a frickin steal compared to what I see going back and forth between teams lately.

If Bergevin does jack squat tomorrow, which maybe smartest move of all, it is gonna be too funny to hear the response from the cynical crowd! :ph34r:

(but like most I also would like to maybe see Gilbert or Emelin moved and a skilled forward added)

If Bergevin does jack squat tomorrow, which maybe smartest move of all, it is gonna be too funny to hear the response from the cynical crowd! :ph34r:

I wouldn't expect much of anything tomorrow unless it's via the trade route. They don't have the money to sign a notable UFA until they clear someone off the roster.

The only free agents that interest me at all are Frolik and Boyes. Even then, if he stood pat I'd be more than fine with it. Wait for players to sign and see who panics after.

I feel bodies need to be moved out before the Habs can become better so I'm still firmly in the trade department. Bergevin's comments about wanting a younger player to step up in camp to take Parenteau's spot was nice to hear.

Versteeg, Frolik, Boyes. Admit it, you're as ready as I am to jump on the Cats' bandwagon. Don't miss the boat!

Lots of players I like on Florida. Of course they also have Dave Bolland, which is an anchor if I ever saw one.

The Wild and Blue Jackets are my #2 and #3.

Saad to Columbus. Did not see that one happening. Doesn't look like the greatest return but they obviously feared a team sending an offer sheet tmrw.

Wonder what this means for Sharp?

Hate this trade for Columbus. I was fine with the initial headline of Anisimov for Saad, but my spirits quickly fell when I read further that Dano was part of the deal. I think Dano is already comparable to Saad, so I really don't understand this trade.

To anyone disappointed that MB didn't have the balls or magic wand to acquire Saad; why would he bring in a left winger? Max Pac is elite at his position and Chucky isn't moving from the wing until he earns it. May as well be upset he didn't trade for RD Bieksa while you're at it. At least he didn't have the acquisition cost that Saad did

Solutions work, though. Vanek had 10 good games and Ryder...well, at least he wasn't making paper airplanes in the press box this time.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

One thing I can guarantee-no forward upgrade, no Centre Ice for Lovett's Magnatones. A buddy of mine came into some moolah, and we'll have prime seats to the Florida Panthers. Now there's a team with some whizzbang! They've got Therrien's alterego behind the bench, Ekblad, Jagr and HOPE.

Without any upgrades on forward, or without a back to back MVP year from Price, this team is taking a step back. They were very healthy last year and the bounces were on their side. I don't know if this year will be as kind.

Ummm. So you are going to dump the team that has played alot of success for several years for a team that has been mediocre for most of its existance? Have fun with that.

Ummm. So you are going to dump the team that has played alot of success for several years for a team that has been mediocre for most of its existance? Have fun with that.

They're coming up though, that's exciting. The Habs peaked last year as they're configured. Forgive me if I don't want to watch 85+ games this year of dump and chase.

I'm afraid with the signing of two muckers and a vanilla PMD they have turned into the Montreal Canadienzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

They're coming up though, that's exciting. The Habs peaked last year as they're configured. Forgive me if I don't want to watch 85+ games this year of dump and chase.

I'm afraid with the signing of two muckers and a vanilla PMD they have turned into the Montreal Canadienzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thing is I dont even live on the same continent as the habs but I would never ever consider changing my team. If I did I wouldve changed during the late 90s- early 2000s.

Thing is I dont even live on the same continent as the habs but I would never ever consider changing my team. If I did I wouldve changed during the late 90s- early 2000s.

Never. When I'm losing my hope in Habs I always watch last minutes of Game 5 in 1993, then the biggest comeback in Habs history, next that crazy 3 minutes-comeback against Ottawa, Subban's breakaway goal in playoffs last year, Tim Thompson's great videos, tribute to our great Jean Beliveau and I'm in tears like "yeah, that's my team, my Canadiens forever". Never been in Montreal, heck I've never been in Canada, don't even speak French, but man, Habs mean a lot to me (fck a lot - everything!)

+82 games of dump and chase? But it's bleu-blanc-rouge dump and chase.

Happy Canada Day!

• Upvote 1

Oh, I'll still root for the Habs and watch all the games in Sunrise and the ones on national TV. I'll probably tune in to games on the radio too.

But the idea of paying 160$ to see Jeff Petry chip the puck off the glass ten times a game, no thanks. If they can upgrade the forward corp, I'll reconsider. These games are supposed to be entertainment. I don't think the 2015-2016 Habs are going to supply much of that.

I don't want to do it, but I have to use my vote-the fan dollar-to convey my disapproval. You can't be a Leaf's fan and pay 500$ for the family to watch Dion and the Cellar Dwellers, or nothing changes.

Oh, I'll still root for the Habs and watch all the games in Sunrise and the ones on national TV. I'll probably tune in to games on the radio too.

But the idea of paying 160$ to see Jeff Petry chip the puck off the glass ten times a game, no thanks. If they can upgrade the forward corp, I'll reconsider. These games are supposed to be entertainment. I don't think the 2015-2016 Habs are going to supply much of that.

I don't want to do it, but I have to use my vote-the fan dollar-to convey my disapproval. You can't be a Leaf's fan and pay 500$ for the family to watch Dion and the Cellar Dwellers, or nothing changes.

Why don't you quit this 'threatening' and just go cheer for Florida, and stop acting like the Habs give a sh*t that you prefer that POS franchise to the greatest organization in the history of the sport. You 'disapprove' of PK Subban and Carey Price and a team that's knocking on the door of being elite. That's not as exciting as Huberdeau and a washed-up Luongo. We get it.

You live in Florida. I doubt you are supporting the Habs monetarily, at least not to any great degree. I think they will survive without your support. And your negativity will not be missed. Enjoy watching a team that can be beat by some AHL teams. Best of luck to you my friend.

You live in Florida. I doubt you are supporting the Habs monetarily, at least not to any great degree. I think they will survive without your support. And your negativity will not be missed. Enjoy watching a team that can be beat by some AHL teams. Best of luck to you my friend.

I could say the same thing about you and British Columbia. Wouldn't you have to purchase the same kind of cable package I would to support the Habs? How are you supporting the Habs more in BC vs FLA?

Why don't you quit this 'threatening' and just go cheer for Florida, and stop acting like the Habs give a sh*t that you prefer that POS franchise to the greatest organization in the history of the sport. You 'disapprove' of PK Subban and Carey Price and a team that's knocking on the door of being elite. That's not as exciting as Huberdeau and a washed-up Luongo. We get it.

Hey, at least they've been the Cup in the last 20 years. Habs fans are living in the past.

I never said anything about not supporting the Habs. I've got some free seats in the 112 section for FLA. I think some around here are green around the gills... Most of you would rather go to the games then spend 160 to watch Magic Jeff Petry in standard definiton.

Hey, at least they've been the Cup in the last 20 years. Habs fans are living in the past.

I never said anything about not supporting the Habs. I've got some free seats in the 112 section for FLA. I think some around here are green around the gills... Most of you would rather go to the games then spend 160 to watch Magic Jeff Petry in standard definiton.

Florida makes it to 1 Cup final in their entire existence in 1996, and you bring that up to defend your point about Habs fans living in the past. The Panthers are a joke of a franchise and play to an empty arena, in fact the worst attendance in the NHL. Hopefully more of your buddies come into money and can help fill the stands to watch a team that has made the playoffs exactly ONCE this millennium. Maybe someday they will reach the success that this current Habs team is already enjoying. Perhaps if a Panther discussion board exists you can go over there to sign up and gush about "hope", while we talk about contention for the Cup.