2015 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Was a fan but wasn't upset when and seemed smart to let him walk (however I would of tried to trade him, Kovalev before trade deadline for something, I think I was pulling for Kovalev to go in December when he was overvalued after big year).

Was a fan but wasn't upset when and seemed smart to let him walk (however I would of tried to trade him, Kovalev before trade deadline for something, I think I was pulling for Kovalev to go in December when he was overvalued after big year).

That's right, I remember being quite pissed off at Gainey for not trading Souray at the deadline. Complete waste of an asset that could have gotten back a major return - all so that a team that had absolutely zero chance of winning the Cup could maybe scrape into the playoffs. Dumb non-move, but it's water under the bridge.

That's right, I remember being quite pissed off at Gainey for not trading Souray at the deadline. Complete waste of an asset that could have gotten back a major return - all so that a team that had absolutely zero chance of winning the Cup could maybe scrape into the playoffs. Dumb non-move, but it's water under the bridge.

Holy great pumkin back to this? ok the year Bob let koivu kovy etc leave he wasn't letting them leave for nothing, he looked at the free agent market and figured what he could get for dumping almost half the team. Why trade for deadwood when you can simply take the money and buy what you want. It did not work out perfect but we had a better team after the great purge than before. Yeah I know Gomez, well that was a mistake. But an honest one that worked for a while who knew Gomez would tun into into an ahl wanna be?. He had been a damn good player before that, and you have to remember that Bob was replacing the leadership of the team. Koivu complained about Carbo, so Bob fired him, the team went into a complete tank. Maybe Carbo wasn't so bad. Had a winning record when fired, piss poor when Bob took over behind the bench. I guess carbo was a better coach than Bob. BTW he made Kovalev an offer, Kovy waited too long and Bob pulled the trigger, there was no room for Kovy any more and he promptly fell off the charts. Translation he went to Ottawa and that worked out real good. Loved his talent but he was the epitome of an enigmatic peckerhead.

There is not a fan base in Pro sports that sticks up for management, coaches and ownership over players like Habs fans. It's comical and a big slice of the blame pie why 93 is the last year we won the cup. This fanbase would fawn over MB if he made the Roy trade today

Holy great pumkin back to this? ok the year Bob let koivu kovy etc leave he wasn't letting them leave for nothing, he looked at the free agent market and figured what he could get for dumping almost half the team. Why trade for deadwood when you can simply take the money and buy what you want. It did not work out perfect but we had a better team after the great purge than before. Yeah I know Gomez, well that was a mistake. But an honest one that worked for a while who knew Gomez would tun into into an ahl wanna be?. He had been a damn good player before that, and you have to remember that Bob was replacing the leadership of the team. Koivu complained about Carbo, so Bob fired him, the team went into a complete tank. Maybe Carbo wasn't so bad. Had a winning record when fired, piss poor when Bob took over behind the bench. I guess carbo was a better coach than Bob. BTW he made Kovalev an offer, Kovy waited too long and Bob pulled the trigger, there was no room for Kovy any more and he promptly fell off the charts. Translation he went to Ottawa and that worked out real good. Loved his talent but he was the epitome of an enigmatic peckerhead.

BG also made a 5/22.5 offer to Komi,just to let you know before the revisionists come out to say how brilliant he was for not resigning him

I doubt Bergevin would of let Souray, Kovalev & Koivu walk for SFA.

Not a Bergevin fan,but he would have stockpiled some nice assets for those Ufas we list for over the years

Apparently, ROR is buying the Tim Horton's and dropping the charges on himself. He claims he was eating those little alcohol filled chocolate bottles and must have gotten 'Carried away". A donation to the Buffalo snow removal fund and... charges are dropped. ROR is free to go. And, free donuts for life for local law enforcement.

Whoa, easy there, big fella! ALL I said was that Bob should have traded Sheldon Souray in 2007 and maximized the asset, given that that team was garbage and had no chance of going anywhere in the playoffs. I never said anything about Kovalev, Koivu, etc. And in fact, I still think it would have been lunacy for Bob to ship out the entire team at the deadline in 2009. To destroy a team's playoff chances a half-season removed from a 2nd overall finish and during the 100th anniversary of the organization? That's the sort of thing that appeals to hockey nerds on message boards but has no relationship to reality.

I supported the Great UFA Rebuild of 2009 and still think it gave us a pretty good team that helped to tide us over until the current core was ready to take over. (Admittedly, the Cammalleri team melted down in 2013 due to a player rebellion and some horrible management, but that didn't have to happen and wasn't reflective of a flaw in Gainey's overall strategy. And if Gomer Pyle hadn't suddenly and inexplicably forgotten how to play hockey, we'd probably look back on that era with greater fondness, as a whole).

There is not a fan base in Pro sports that sticks up for management, coaches and ownership over players like Habs fans. It's comical and a big slice of the blame pie why 93 is the last year we won the cup. This fanbase would fawn over MB if he made the Roy trade today

That is a ridiculous statement. Let's try to keep it on topic and within reality. But I give you credit you love to stir the pot. It makes the summer doldrums go by faster. You obviously weren't here during the gauthier/gainey years or you would realize why your statement makes no sense.

It's me. I've said Gainey should have saw during the lockout he had a fundamentally weak team, not re-signed Koivu and traded all veteran assets for a full rebuild. Instead the team re-tooled and went as far as prospects and veterans could take them, culminating in the 08-09 season where they gave up draft picks for veteran rentals (Tanguay and Lang) and fell apart at the seams. Someone should have noticed how 2002 and 2004 were because Montreal was Boston kryptonite and how they barely made it to the playoffs both times. They should have kept rebuilding.

But that's all hindsight. And the past.

Guest Stogey24

That is a ridiculous statement. Let's try to keep it on topic and within reality. But I give you credit you love to stir the pot. It makes the summer doldrums go by faster. You obviously weren't here during the gauthier/gainey years or you would realize why your statement makes no sense.

It habs30, gotta be

On Souray, check out his 'retirement letter:'

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sheldon-souray-retirement-letter/

I'm kinda disappointed that he hardly says anything about the Habs, the organization with which he had the most success. But his charisma comes through loud and clear; I doubt we've heard the last of #44.

On Souray, check out his 'retirement letter:'

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sheldon-souray-retirement-letter/

I'm kinda disappointed that he hardly says anything about the Habs, the organization with which he had the most success. But his charisma comes through loud and clear; I doubt we've heard the last of #44.

Cool story man. Tells it like it was.

Ryan Kesler signs a six year extension with Anaheim worth just shy of $7 million per year. It won't kick in until he's 32. That seems like quite a steep price to me.

I think that's an overpayment for what he is worth now, let alone when he is broken down a few years from now. That one is going to come back to bite them.

Given what Kesler got,i really think we NEED to move Pleks now. Kesler and Pleks have pretty much had similar production and have been close in what they have been making. Pleks is also a UFA next year and will probably be looking for $6m+ next year,which I think is too much even if he wants half of Kesler term. I'd hate to see him walk for nothing at the end of this year.

Ryan Kesler signs a six year extension with Anaheim worth just shy of $7 million per year. It won't kick in until he's 32. That seems like quite a steep price to me.

I think that's an overpayment for what he is worth now, let alone when he is broken down a few years from now. That one is going to come back to bite them.

I'm pretty sure that, with Chicago retooling slightly, San Jose broken down, Nashville relying on patch-ups in key roster spots, etc., the Ducks feel that THIS is their window to win, and to hell with anything beyond that. So Kesler had them by the nuts and they happily let him squeeze away. They're all in.

Habs29, good point about Pleks, but it's still hard to see a deal that makes sense and that simultaneously doesn't cripple us in the short-term.

Damn just when I thought the GM's were getting smarter. Ryan Kessler joins the ranks of the grossly overpaid. Am I correct that this contract ends when he is 38 ? wow.

20 goals 47 points. No wonder galchenyuk wants to hold out.

They seem to have a super group of d-men and a couple all star forwards, so if get good goaltending and avoid any key injuries, cant see them not contending.

And maybe if Kessler's contract comes back to bite them later on, simply risk worth taking in their GM's eyes? And odds are he wont finish his contract with Ducks.

Didn't Kessler kick Toews ass every time he touched the puck in their series?