2015 Draft Weekend

dlbalr

He means other GMs are so scared to get fleeced by Bergevin, that they duck him.

Its sad but once get that reputation, hard to break it. :nuts:

Oh ok I thought he might be slandering our beloved GM. But I can see that can't be true.

Jets also seemed to do well, with Connor, Roslovic, Harkins & 5 others.

Sens as well with; Chabot, White, Gagne, Chlapik & 4 others.

Love this Timmonds quote about Vejdemo

“Anybody know anything about him? You guys tell me about him. Nobody knows much, do they? That’s why we got him where we got him. Our Swedish scout was so excited – he couldn’t believe he was still there in the third round. Exposure-wise, you had to work to see him play. He wasn’t in any of the tournaments, but Christer Rockstrom deserves a lot of credit for really pushing him and dragging me over there on April 1 for a weekend. He’s a strong skater, and a strong two-way player, but he can create offense. He’s got good vision and he’s a good puck disperser. Expect a lot out of him. Off-ice, his training is top-notch and he has lots of character. He’s got more offensive upside than [Jacob] De La Rose did at the same age.”

What praise! I'm starting to like the guy more haha. Gotta say, not a bad stat line at all in the Swedish junior league, where he wore an "A" .

GP - 34

G - 23

A - 25

P - 48

+/- 28

Also 4 goals 6 points in 7 playoff games.

6'2 194lbs. We could have a player here. At 19, he could even play in a couple years.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this was posted already, but "Ouellet" won the HW draft pool. Congrats !

Also, we had a couple participants accurately predicting the Habs 1st rounder. Nice

Full results at the end of the page: http://www.habsworld.net/2015/06/2015-habsworld-draft-pool/

I beat Brian by 1 point so I'm already sticking it to him ;)

CIi_mO-XAAAg14X.jpg

Our GM and head scout are jacked. Now that's what I call leadership

Ha ha, yeah, they're in better shape than Smith-Pelly, for God's sake! I'll bet when he was traded here he took one look at them and went, 'uh-oh...the days of wine and doughnuts are over'

I think MB and Mr Timmons should take LeGenius under their wing and get him in shape, then he can be believable when he tells Smith Pelly to get in shape. UHHH ya know we probably don't have that much time. :)

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this was posted already, but "Ouellet" won the HW draft pool. Congrats !

Also, we had a couple participants accurately predicting the Habs 1st rounder. Nice

Full results at the end of the page: http://www.habsworld.net/2015/06/2015-habsworld-draft-pool/

I beat Brian by 1 point so I'm already sticking it to him ;)

I got the first six right, the only person on the site to do so, and missed the next 24 selections.

Is tough but is quite a crap shoot also, just for fun. :thumbs_up:

Who expected Bruins to go nuts or teams trading down as much as happened.

How was the 1st day, you said you were attending eh?

Without reading dlbalr write up, I still think C or C+ (skipping Merkley bugs me), but Timmins is "Pierre Maguire" certain the Swede will make NHL so will see within 3-4 years I suppose.

Is tough but is quite a crap shoot also, just for fun. :thumbs_up:

Who expected Bruins to go nuts or teams trading down as much as happened.

How was the 1st day, you said you were attending eh?

Everytime anyone posts a trade proposal, there is so much nonsense about trying to make a real proposal to proposals that are a hell of a lot better than what the Bruins got for Hamilton and Lucic. Anyone suggesting the deal that went down would have been ridiculed for saying that Lucic would have gone for a backup goalie (Someone only a slight upgrade over Tokarski), a defensive prospect (not much better than Pateryn - certainly not Beaulieu quality) and a 1st rounder out of the top 10 (13th pick) - AND the bruins pick up $2.5M in salary.

Who would have thought that Hamilton would have gone for a first that is outside the top 15 and two 2nd round picks???

These deals and similar deals happen all the time, but suggesting moving Pleks and a couple of prospects for Yakapov is ridiculed by some of the experts on this site!!

Seems a reach

Like Lata and Erat for Filip Forsburg??? If a year ago i had suggested Pleks for Forsburg, many on this site would be saying there is no way Washington makes that deal.

YOu do realize that GM is homeless and looking for owrk

How long did that idiot GM hold the job in Washington??

How long did it take for the GM that put the Bruins into Cap hell and traded Sequin for spare parts to find another job???

Or how long did it take the GM that signed Semin for $7M to get a new job??

Everytime anyone posts a trade proposal, there is so much nonsense about trying to make a real proposal to proposals that are a hell of a lot better than what the Bruins got for Hamilton and Lucic. Anyone suggesting the deal that went down would have been ridiculed for saying that Lucic would have gone for a backup goalie (Someone only a slight upgrade over Tokarski), a defensive prospect (not much better than Pateryn - certainly not Beaulieu quality) and a 1st rounder out of the top 10 (13th pick) - AND the bruins pick up $2.5M in salary.

Who would have thought that Hamilton would have gone for a first that is outside the top 15 and two 2nd round picks???

These deals and similar deals happen all the time, but suggesting moving Pleks and a couple of prospects for Yakapov is ridiculed by some of the experts on this site!!

I agree that no one saw those two deals happening, but I think its also safe to say that the Bruins got the short end of both of those deals. You cant assume in most cases that you can rip off another team.

Most people give management too much credit for being shrewd negotiators (thank god that Sweeny isn't our GM). I think he wont be the Bruins GM for too long if he makes deals like those consistently.

I agree that no one saw those two deals happening, but I think its also safe to say that the Bruins got the short end of both of those deals. You cant assume in most cases that you can rip off another team.

Most people give management too much credit for being shrewd negotiators (thank god that Sweeny isn't our GM). I think he wont be the Bruins GM for too long if he makes deals like those consistently.

Like i said in an earlier post, despite putting the Bruins into cap hell and trading Seguin for spare parts, how long was Chiarelli out of work before being hired by the Oilers. In his first trade for the Oilers (at least i think it was his first trade), Chiarelli severely overpaid for Reinhart - almost the same for what the flames got Hamilton for.

In a lot of NHL trade, it comes down to trying to fill a need and weakness the other team has, rather than the return itself. Oilers lack an EXPERIENCED centre (yes, i know they just drafted mcDavid, after drafting Drusaitl and having RNH), but they don't have an experienced shutdown guy and they lack NHL dman. It's why Chiarelli overpaid for Reinhart. Reinhart may still turn out to be a great player, but given his progression to date, the oilers over paid.

"My trade proposals are fine because stupid GMs have in the past accepted bad trade proposals" has to be one of the wackier arguments made here.

That's not my argument. My argument GM's will always pay more than they want to if you are filling big holes in their lineup - there's a long history of this, including the incredibly stupid trade Gainey made to get a washed up/overpriced Gomez, because he was desperate for a centre.

IMO, The Oilers would be all over a package that includes Pleks. For us, I disagree with your opinion that there is no replacment for Pleks internally, or that we aren't better off trying to make another move. Pleks is a UFA after this year and will probably want a $6M+ multi-year deal, which should be a non-starter for us. Offensively, you put someone other than DD and Pleks with MaxPac and they will get the points. I'd like Galchenyuk to get a prolonged look at centre, but i'd prefer to make a move for another centre - which we don't have the cap room for with Pleks, DD and Eller signed. I think all three are movable, but Pleks would bring the greatest return.

Defensively, Eller and DLR are decent defensive centres. Against TBL and the Sens both Eller and Pleks were put up against their offensive lines. I know you don't think much about Eller, but despite being a longtime Pleks fan (who wanted to keep Pleks BEFORE his great UFA year, when most on this site wanted to dump the "little girl"), I think we need to move him now. This was probably his worst playoffs defensively and he was the main reason for a some critical goals.

While I think we CAN do without Pleks, i think a team like the Oilers who were getting eaten alive against most centres, need a shutdown guy to take the burden off RNH and ease in McDavid. Not only has Chiarelli seen the benefit of having a shutdown centre like Bergeron, he also has seen over the years how Pleks shutdown the bruins. Oilers need a guy like Pleks and they need help on Defense. I think another guy that would be a great fit for Edmonton would have been Gilbert, but he was already an Oiler, so they already know the hand grenade defence Gilbert plays.

How do we know Pleks would block a move before we try??? He most likely doesn't want to go there, but until McDavid came in the picture, would Chiarelli and McClellon gone there??? If the Oilers are willing to give him an extension, maybe he does accept a trade.

Getting Yakapov would allow us to move Gallagher to the second line and could give us a first line of MaxPac-Galchenyuj-Yakapov, if Galchenyuk does work out at centre.

Almost every post i see, we are either overpaying for a player (like a lot of the Sharp posts), and/or not really addressing the other team's needs (why would Chicago want Eller at $3.5M). But anytime a trade is suggested where we are targeting a player that is a great prospect, or isn't someone that another team is trying hard to dump (i.e. Sharpe), it is criticized as one that the other team would not accept. My point to bring up recent trades is this nonsense from people like you who constantly dismiss a trade as "why would a team make that move?", when moves like that happen ALL the friggin time. Hell, considering what it will cost to sign up ROR long-term, I think the Sabres got absolutely raped in the deal with the Avs. They overpaid for the same reason that the Oilers would, they need to protect their young centres. In the Sabres case, they not only overpaid in assets, they will need to overpay ROR, if they hope to retain him and that is going to create future cap problems. On the other hand, the Avs filled a huge hole in their defence and have the potential to hit a home run of Roy and turn around Grigerenko.

The habs have a habit of hanging on to players to long and with Pleks set to be a UFA next year and at 33 will probably be looking for a big last contract, this is the ideal time to move him.

These are all good points. We bash trade proposals until the happen. It is part of why this year was unfortunate timing for MB to lock up Petry. Had he signed Stallman last year and had some cap room, he could have exploited a desparate team up against the cap.