October 30, Montreal vs Calgary, 9 PM

dlbalr

Why is it wrong to say DD is the better offensive player, and Eller is the better defensive player and have the coach use them in such situations.

When pretty much everyone has a special teams role, there's not much room for players to play regularly in both roles. For the Habs, Eller is a better PK option than a PP one which is a big reason why he seems more of the former than the latter.

These are two posts that highlight something that I never really thought of before and I think are excellent points.

I'm a fan of both DD and Eller. I don't think there's anything wrong with them both being exactly what they are. They both make a bit above league average in salary and are above league average in ability imo. One is more of an offensive player and one is more of defensive player. Both are integral to the success of the team. I don't think personal stats should be the focus on any contending team. It's only when things go bad that fingers should be pointed.

A couple of random points that aren't Eller vs Desharnais:

- Who'd have thought the supporting cast (no top four D, no top six forwards) would score six goals in a single game? That happened yesterday and it was in a game where Price sat as well. We talk about the secondary players needing to win games here and there, this was one of those games.

- Since my Centre Ice wasn't carrying the Montreal feed last night, I wound up with the Calgary feed with Rick Ball and Kelly Hrudey. How is this duo not one of the national crews for Sportsnet? After getting saddled with having to listen to the Vancouver crew earlier this week, this was a difference of night and day in terms of game calling.

Im a big fan of hrudey. Very good analyst. I also like our guy. Bartlett has a golden voice. I can't believe Roman Yuck and lispy randorf get the national broadcasts over these guys. Can't say I recall hearing rick ball.

The thing that drives me nuts about the Eller vs dd thing is that Eller won. He got the second line assignment. Yet dd still is out producing him with a old retread Fleischmann and stone hands weisse. You gotta give dd credit. I'm an Eller fan. I still want to see an Eller dsp Kassian line before playoffs. I think it would be an awesome playoff line. I just think right now, Therrien is not wrong for giving dd some extra pp minutes. He earns them.

Guest Stogey24

I honestly forgot about Kassian. I was really excited for him with the Habs. I seriously hope we still get to see him suit up. The guy is mean, has hands, and goes to the net. If we get him at 100% health, he could be a huge asset.

To me it was never about who is a better p[layer. As i stated at the beginning of the season "better smetter". They are two different type of players. What was in question was how Eller would preform if he was given the chances DD has been. First line center, powerplay time, playing in the middle of Pax and Gallagher etc. Now that he has been given some of that on the second line, his critics may just be right. He may not up for the job. DD, I like him on third line for all the right reasons.

Everyone is aloud to talk about the bad, but of course any good play Semin makes, really doesn't matter; because he's lazy Russian who doesn't try ...

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/breaking-down-film/2015/10/27/9618272/let-semin-be-montreal-canadiens-2015-video-analysis-myth-habs-alex-semin-contributions

I don't have a strong opinion about Semin, other than that it would be silly, based on his track-record, to count on him for anything. I agree that he made some nice little offensive plays now and then. But this blog entry doesn't convince me because it's basically cherry-picking good two-way plays to make a case. I also seriously doubt that he got benched in Carolina, and now got benched by MT, because of some anti-Russian prejudice.

In the bigger picture, let's face it: Superstar Semin has 3 points in 10 games and is -1. Whoop-de-doo. No need to panic over his removal. He will draw back in eventually, because the Habs have no better long-term answer; but Byron had a massive game on Friday, so in the immediate term ditching Semin paid dividends.

But here's a bigger point. Underlying a lot of these sorts of arguments, it seems to me, is a basic question about coaching. And the question is: do you think the coach is fundamentally irrational, a drooling idiot who makes patently irrational decisions just for the hell of it? Or, when he makes a line-up decision, do you give him the benefit of the doubt, keeping in mind that we're not privy to specific information about what has gone on?

E.g., I generally assume that when a professional coach benches a guy, it is either because that guy has outright sucked; or else because that guy has been asked/told very specifically to do, or change, certain things out there and clearly failed to follow instructions. In Semin's case, it probably has to do with back-checking, 'compete,' or some other such part of the game. If a coach tells a player repeatedly to do X, and the player does not do it, then at some point the coach either has to accept being ignored, or he has to make clear that there are costs attached to not listening. I'm reasonably confident that the Semin benching, and the much less severe benching of Eller last game, have to do with these sorts of considerations.

The same is true of plumbers on the power-play. I still remember fans fuming when guys like Moen or Metropolit ended up doing time on the PP. But I've always suspected that when things like that happen, it's probably not because the coach has a man-crush on plumbers, but because the coach is trying to send a message - e.g., to a team of periphery players: 'we need you to DRIVE TO THE FRIGGING NET on the PP.'

(Of course, sometimes coaches do in fact do stupid things. But all things considered, benching Semin probably isn't one of those - remember, the guy has basically done squat for 10 games, after a whole season of doing squat last year).

• Upvote 1

And this team does not have 6... top 6 players... so one of those 3rd liners has to get the PP time. I'm glad the one who is the better offensive player is getting it.

Can see your point. There are those that think the guy with the bigger body and can park himself in front of the goalie, 15 even strength goals and 7 games winners last season. Some think he should get it. Neither is wrong, they are just opinions.

If the powerplay was not struggling for two seasons, horrible against the lightning in the play offs , well we would not even be discussing it. Everyone has an opinion on how to make the powerplay better. Not a bit surprised using Larry more is one of them.

Jets tonight. Tough team.

What was up with centre ice yesterday. I got the local Calgary feed, but considering how much centre ice costs, I would expect to be able get the Montreal feed.

The way my CI works is that 9 channels are dedicated to the SN/TSN feeds with the other six being used for other games. Those six channels were used and since the Montreal feed was on City, not SN East, it didn't appear on the channel linked to SN East. Thus, it wasn't available on CI for the second time in the week. I have no idea what provider you have or if it's different on others to know what happened with yours but that's why I couldn't get the Hab feed.

I honestly forgot about Kassian. I was really excited for him with the Habs. I seriously hope we still get to see him suit up. The guy is mean, has hands, and goes to the net. If we get him at 100% health, he could be a huge asset.

Forgot about Kassian too. Do you think he ever plays a game for the Habs?

Yes I haven't seen any good plays of note by Semin. Last year I crapped on Gilbert for longest time, but for all the stupid braindead decisions with the puck, he offset it with even more good plays and I guess relented on being overly critical of his play.

But Rene Bourque 2.0 aka Semin, I have seen what we were afraid he would be...a 31 year old soft, slow, washed up has been who cant score anymore.

(could he draw back in and score a few...maybe but doubtful, cut losses and go with youngster till Feb, Semin is not in any long term plan.)

Yes I haven't seen any good plays of note by Semin. Last year I crapped on Gilbert for longest time, but for all the stupid braindead decisions with the puck, he offset it with even more good plays and I guess relented on being overly critical of his play.

But Rene Bourque 2.0 aka Semin, I have seen what we were afraid he would be...a 31 year old soft, slow, washed up has been who cant score anymore.

(could he draw back in and score a few...maybe but doubtful, cut losses and go with youngster till Feb, Semin is not in any long term plan.)

I laughed when MB signed him. He gets one every year. Brierre (retired) Paps (leafs fourth line) Now Semin. But now that he is signed 10 games is too early. He has one goal. Tied with half the league. Chucky has two.

I doubt Semin is gonna amount to much, but a tad early to give up on him.

I laughed when MB signed him. He gets one every year. Brierre (retired) Paps (leafs fourth line) Now Semin. But now that he is signed 10 games is too early. He has one goal. Tied with half the league. Chucky has two.

I doubt Semin is gonna amount to much, but a tad early to give up on him.

I don't think a benching is 'giving up.' He'll draw back in, and then we'll see where we are.

Everyone claims Habs biggest problem is skill level of entire top 6 forwards.

Bergevin took a chance on Semin as being a cheap gamble in monetary terms, for a very high skill player, and he has very high skill, whether guys like Don(negativity and whipping boy champ)want to admit it or not.

Nobody thought we were signing a great high scoring 2 way physical player for 1 mil now did they?

I maintain that Semin showed skill and an ability to produce offensive chances in his time before the bench stint, not lights out amazing, but not the bitter disappointment Don fantasizes about so he can whip him and management for signing the "softie".

Slow? Give me a break, speed without skill we have, but skill we are in dire need of, give the f!#@#n' guy a chance.

Not condemning MT for the benching, if in fact that is what it is, and we needed to see what Byron could bring, and the little guy made me eat my words, so kudos to MT and Byron, but to write off Semin on his body of work thus far is just plain stupid.

What happened to Eller since Semin has been benched? How has his benching helped the top 6? It clearly hasn't.

You get what you pay for, and sometimes the use or role of the player is forgotten by the fickle fans.

If he continues to ride the pine, then really our only help to improve the top 6 is Flash, who has been great, yet a major reason for DD and Weise's great season so far.

So what is the answer then, throw the million bucks away because Semin isn't a blood and guts Canadian boy, and leave the top 6 shy of skill and scoring, which is really what killed our season last playoff.

Everyone claims Habs biggest problem is skill level of entire top 6 forwards.

Bergevin took a chance on Semin as being a cheap gamble in monetary terms, for a very high skill player, and he has very high skill, whether guys like Don(negativity and whipping boy champ)want to admit it or not.

Nobody thought we were signing a great high scoring 2 way physical player for 1 mil now did they?

I maintain that Semin showed skill and an ability to produce offensive chances in his time before the bench stint, not lights out amazing, but not the bitter disappointment Don fantasizes about so he can whip him and management for signing the "softie".

Slow? Give me a break, speed without skill we have, but skill we are in dire need of, give the f!#@#n' guy a chance.

Not condemning MT for the benching, if in fact that is what it is, and we needed to see what Byron could bring, and the little guy made me eat my words, so kudos to MT and Byron, but to write off Semin on his body of work thus far is just plain stupid.

What happened to Eller since Semin has been benched? How has his benching helped the top 6? It clearly hasn't.

You get what you pay for, and sometimes the use or role of the player is forgotten by the fickle fans.

If he continues to ride the pine, then really our only help to improve the top 6 is Flash, who has been great, yet a major reason for DD and Weise's great season so far.

So what is the answer then, throw the million bucks away because Semin isn't a blood and guts Canadian boy, and leave the top 6 shy of skill and scoring, which is really what killed our season last playoff.

Great post.

Everyone is aloud to talk about the bad, but of course any good play Semin makes, really doesn't matter; because he's lazy Russian who doesn't try ...

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/breaking-down-film/2015/10/27/9618272/let-semin-be-montreal-canadiens-2015-video-analysis-myth-habs-alex-semin-contributions

Semin works hard... he's not lazy... he's strong on the boards.

My problem with him? HE CANNOT SKATE ANYMORE... he was never the fastest guy, but the groin injuries have killed him.

Semin works hard... he's not lazy... he's strong on the boards.

My problem with him? HE CANNOT SKATE ANYMORE... he was never the fastest guy, but the groin injuries have killed him.

That may possibly be true but he is a pro and he can adapt and his line can adapt. With his goal scoring and just general ability they should. I am just saying you look where he is cause he can score.

That may possibly be true but he is a pro and he can adapt and his line can adapt. With his goal scoring and just general ability they should. I am just saying you look where he is cause he can score.

Except maybe the lack of skating ability is why he had 6 goals for carolina and had 1 in 10 games (a pace of 8/82 for us). Its hard to adapt to a total lack of speed and quickness in a league that is faster than its ever been.

Id try him again because we have a real lack of options on chucks wing. But im not hopeful.

Except maybe the lack of skating ability is why he had 6 goals for carolina and had 1 in 10 games (a pace of 8/82 for us). Its hard to adapt to a total lack of speed and quickness in a league that is faster than its ever been.

Id try him again because we have a real lack of options on chucks wing. But im not hopeful.

You're probably quite accurate there, but...

Semin needs to be in over Flynn. That's all I'm going to say.

Nuff said.