New York Islanders vs. Montreal Canadiens | November 5th, 2015 | 7:30 EST

Habsfan84

Guest Stogey24

If they're looking for the rental option, someone like Vrbata (who they had interest in before) and Hudler (if Calgary falters) come to mind. Mikkel Boedker has played a bit of RW (though a left shot) and also might be someone they'd want to try to extend like Petry beyond this season.

I love Boedker

Or Rene Bourque. Or Mike Cammalleri, the best Canadiens playoff scorer in the past 30 years. Or Brian Gionta, who was a huge playoff scorer for us as well.

Gio in the 010 run. Not any other year.

Cammy was great in 010 and 011.

Guest Stogey24

I have wanted to trade Eller for Boedker for a while now.

I'm tellin' ya man, Eller will be going shortly. We need a player who can gel with Chucky. Kassian on the right and Boedker on left.

Not sure what it would take to get Boedker out of Arizona tho

Machine, I'm not denying that we are the hottest team in the NHL to start the season (although the Penguins are definitely making a nice run). The deeper question is whether we 'really' are the best team, or if we're just benefitting from aberrant performances from the likes of Weise and Mitchell. I don't know the answer, but I really, really like our balance and depth this season.

Desharnais in the playoffs: yes, he has been a dud. However, it will be interesting to see how he fares as a third-line C, no longer drawing the other teams' best checkers. (This assumes that Galy will return to the top-6, of course). This was, incidentally, one my long-standing arguments against Eller's offensive upside, i.e., that unlike DD he's spent his career against second-tier checkers and still has not generated anything. But the point is not to rehash arguments about Eller, just to say that we could see a 'new' Desharnais this post-season, because of the different usage he's getting.

I'm all for adding a W, but remember that you're talking about giving up significant picks and prospects when you invoke a deadline deal for Iggy or whoever.

Machine, I'm not denying that we are the hottest team in the NHL to start the season (although the Penguins are definitely making a nice run). The deeper question is whether we 'really' are the best team, or if we're just benefitting from aberrant performances from the likes of Weise and Mitchell. I don't know the answer, but I really, really like our balance and depth this season.

When you are outshooting the league, outscoring the league, not allowing pucks, dominant on special teams, winning your games in regulation and support several players currently in the Top 10 scoring through the league (despite those players playing way less minutes than anyone else), at what point do you stop doubting and start believing?

I get nobody wants to get too happy because we might lose later and look silly to be celebrating early. I also understand that the Stanley Cup is not about what team is the best but what team can survive the longest. That said, we're right now the deepest team doing the best. We're the best team in the NHL until further notice. Full stop.

Desharnais in the playoffs: yes, he has been a dud. However, it will be interesting to see how he fares as a third-line C, no longer drawing the other teams' best checkers. (This assumes that Galy will return to the top-6, of course). This was, incidentally, one my long-standing arguments against Eller's offensive upside, i.e., that unlike DD he's spent his career against second-tier checkers and still has not generated anything. But the point is not to rehash arguments about Eller, just to say that we could see a 'new' Desharnais this post-season, because of the different usage he's getting.

I'm all for adding a W, but remember that you're talking about giving up significant picks and prospects when you invoke a deadline deal for Iggy or whoever.

p[leks was the n umber one center in last years play offs. Playing right\ where he is now, between Max an Gallagher.

When you are outshooting the league, outscoring the league, not allowing pucks, dominant on special teams, winning your games in regulation and support several players currently in the Top 10 scoring through the league (despite those players playing way less minutes than anyone else), at what point do you stop doubting and start believing?

I get nobody wants to get too happy because we might lose later and look silly to be celebrating early. I also understand that the Stanley Cup is not about what team is the best but what team can survive the longest. That said, we're right now the deepest team doing the best. We're the best team in the NHL until further notice. Full stop.

Pleks was the number one center in last years play offs. Playing right where he is now, between Max an Gallagher. DD was used 2nd and 3rd line.

Four weeks. Octobers best team. I agree.

I want reassurance that this is not just one of those 'moments' where the team is at peak confidence, mostly healthy, and everything is rolling perfectly. Remember the old adage: you're never as bad as you look when you're losing, and you're never as good as you look when you're winning. Basically, the sample size is too small. What we've shown so far is only that we can dominate the league at our peak. That's awesome. We haven't shown that we can sustain that domination for an period of time sufficient to anoint us the clear-cut Team to Beat. (I still remember 1992, where we were the #1 team until December...then crapped out in the playoffs).

Habs 30/31, there's still a difference between being a top-6 guy and a bottom-6 guy. Our current third line might bee the single biggest reason for the team's success so far, and I'm not prepared to rule out the possibility that a line with that kind of savvy and moxy will not be a major playoff asset. But it all depends on Galy drawing the checkers that would otherwise go to DD.

I want reassurance that this is not just one of those 'moments' where the team is at peak confidence, mostly healthy, and everything is rolling perfectly. Remember the old adage: you're never as bad as you look when you're losing, and you're never as good as you look when you're winning. Basically, the sample size is too small. What we've shown so far is only that we can dominate the league at our peak. That's awesome. We haven't shown that we can sustain that domination for an period of time sufficient to anoint us the clear-cut Team to Beat. (I still remember 1992, where we were the #1 team until December...then crapped out in the playoffs).

Habs 30/31, there's still a difference between being a top-6 guy and a bottom-6 guy. Our current third line might bee the single biggest reason for the team's success so far, and I'm not prepared to rule out the possibility that a line with that kind of savvy and moxy will not be a major playoff asset. But it all depends on Galy drawing the checkers that would otherwise go to DD.

Oh for sure. You don't have to tell me that DD is more valuable not playing against the top line and top D. I have stated it so many times on here i used to get personal posts saying 'we heard you the first 100 times" :nuts:

I am not ruling out the possibility either. But that's all it is.

Have seen to many play offs where his game went completely south.

"Mostly healthy" includes our franchise player going down to injury and the team winning in front of an untested, unproven backup goalie who just so happens to be pretty good despite nothing about his past career indicating he would be an NHL goalie.

Even in our one bad loss against the Canucks, the first period had the Habs playing great and just suffering from zero puck luck. One game in 15. We have had many two or three games where the other team was technically better but we got luckier/better goalie.

The best regular season team in NHL history was probably the 1995-96 Detroit Red Wings and they never won the Cup. But the team was so well built they were able to win two Cups later.

There's no guarantees, but every statistic has said the Canadiens are for real, and dominating early. We need to go 31 in 67 to make the playoffs. That's less than .500 for the rest of the year in a worst case scenario! The only way things go back is if the entire team fundamentally switches gears and coaching reverts to bad habits. One or two injuries won't cause that.

There's no guarantees, but every statistic has said the Canadiens are for real, and dominating early. We need to go 31 in 67 to make the playoffs. That's less than .500 for the rest of the year in a worst case scenario!

It'll take a bit more than that. 31 more wins is 62 points, add the 25 they have now and you're at 87. It usually takes more than that to make the postseason. A .500 points percentage the rest of the way might do it though which isn't a bad spot to be in early November.

It'll take a bit more than that. 31 more wins is 62 points, add the 25 they have now and you're at 87. It usually takes more than that to make the postseason. A .500 points percentage the rest of the way might do it though which isn't a bad spot to be in early November.

43 wins got you into the playoffs last year, which is where I was more leaning.

Here is the thing

Iginla has been good in both the regular season and the playoffs.

Comparing him to Bourque, or Briere is unfair... because they werent good for us in the regular season.

Here is the thing... there is no such thing as some repeatable skill that makes you good every playoffs. There is no clutch skill that some players have and others don't. It doesn't exist.

Claude lemieux is seen as one of the most clutch players ever.... his playoff PPG and his regular season PPG are a difference of 0.02.

Guys like John Druce, Fernando Pisani, Rene Bourque, Brian Bickell and others couldn't replicate one year's playoff success in future years... that success was a hot streak, not some clutch ability. Other guys have been seen as playoff failures in the past and then suddenly break out and carry teams... examples Marian Hossa, Marian Gaborik. ... others have careers with crappy playoffs and good playoffs (Marc Andre Fleury has an extremely variable save percentage).

Trying to predict who will do well in the playoffs based only on previous playoff success is foolhardy. Any player can get hot or go in a slump in January? Why do we believe slumps/hot streaks in May are different? Why are they suddenly clutch/choker just because of the time of year. Quite simply they are not. Its random chance and small sample sizes.

So what should we be looking for, in someone to help us in the playoffs? Well the first thing is to find a big sample size of something you need in the playoffs.

Lets examine what we need in the playoffs:

Are the playoffs different than regular season? Yes. How? Less penalties are called.

What is another way playoffs are different? Tight checking games, very few blowouts, most games decided by a goal or two.

What does this tell us? 5 v 5 scoring is huge, and PP scoring is diminished somewhat. You can win a cup with great 5v5 play and a poor pp (see Bruins, see Hawks 2015 and 2013)... etc.... Sure a PP helps, but its not top priority, and 5v5 play becomes a lot bigger.

So what do we examine.... 5v5 play, in close situations.

Examine a players stats 5v5 close... in his recent career, in both the playoffs and the regular season.

You know what? In both the playoffs and regular season... Briere looks shitty... Bourque looks shitty.... and Iginla, he looks pretty darn good.

That said, one thing scares me about Iginla and a spot on the habs.

He's not fast.

And we've already seen how a total lack of speed is killing Semin.

I'd be inclined to see if there is someone with more footspeed who better fits in our lineup out there.

That said.... this is a damn good team.... we were first in our division 3 years ago, we were final 4 two years ago, we were 110 points and first place last year.... this roster is better than all three of those rosters. Are we the 137 point pace team we currently have shown? of course not. But there is no doubt in my mind that we are a cup contender.

Where are we lacking, one piece, a top 6 RW.

We tried reclamation projects this summer cause nothing was available in free agency... but its clear, Semin is not working.... Kassian is a giant question mark.... Holloway still hasnt' been given a chance... last year's reclamation project DSP looks like a good player, but not a top 6 fix.... Flynn and Byron I don't believe to be top 6 guys either.

so its time, no more reclamation projects.

When the trade market really opens up in February.... its time to go all in, even if that means moving a top prospect and 1st round pick. Price, Subban, Pacioretty, the core is all in its prime right now. The window to win is wide open.

Go all in

Find your guy, target him, and get him.

A RW with skill, a game breaker, an elite guy to play on our second line.

Now is not the time to pussy foot around.

when a new GM comes in he talks about a 5 year plan to build a contender. Guess what, this is year 4. its time to take that step.

DD is the second line until further notice.

Galchenyuk is our second best centre playing with third liners.

If we change that, it might mean we have two second lines.

People expect the DD line to regress, but Flash and DD are both top six quality scorers and Weise last year scored at a fringe top six RW level.

It's possible they stay at a top six scoring pace.

If they're looking for the rental option, someone like Vrbata (who they had interest in before) and Hudler (if Calgary falters) come to mind. Mikkel Boedker has played a bit of RW (though a left shot) and also might be someone they'd want to try to extend like Petry beyond this season.

Now there are some sensible options.

Here is the thing

Iginla has been good in both the regular season and the playoffs.

Comparing him to Bourque, or Briere is unfair... because they werent good for us in the regular season.

Here is the thing... there is no such thing as some repeatable skill that makes you good every playoffs. There is no clutch skill that some players have and others don't. It doesn't exist.

Claude lemieux is seen as one of the most clutch players ever.... his playoff PPG and his regular season PPG are a difference of 0.02.

Guys like John Druce, Fernando Pisani, Rene Bourque, Brian Bickell and others couldn't replicate one year's playoff success in future years... that success was a hot streak, not some clutch ability. Other guys have been seen as playoff failures in the past and then suddenly break out and carry teams... examples Marian Hossa, Marian Gaborik. ... others have careers with crappy playoffs and good playoffs (Marc Andre Fleury has an extremely variable save percentage).

Trying to predict who will do well in the playoffs based only on previous playoff success is foolhardy. Any player can get hot or go in a slump in January? Why do we believe slumps/hot streaks in May are different? Why are they suddenly clutch/choker just because of the time of year. Quite simply they are not. Its random chance and small sample sizes.

So what should we be looking for, in someone to help us in the playoffs? Well the first thing is to find a big sample size of something you need in the playoffs.

Lets examine what we need in the playoffs:

Are the playoffs different than regular season? Yes. How? Less penalties are called.

What is another way playoffs are different? Tight checking games, very few blowouts, most games decided by a goal or two.

What does this tell us? 5 v 5 scoring is huge, and PP scoring is diminished somewhat. You can win a cup with great 5v5 play and a poor pp (see Bruins, see Hawks 2015 and 2013)... etc.... Sure a PP helps, but its not top priority, and 5v5 play becomes a lot bigger.

So what do we examine.... 5v5 play, in close situations.

Examine a players stats 5v5 close... in his recent career, in both the playoffs and the regular season.

You know what? In both the playoffs and regular season... Briere looks shitty... Bourque looks shitty.... and Iginla, he looks pretty darn good.

Some guys play better come play off time. Some guys the same. Some guys game goes south.

Stats are not the only way too measure that.

Some players style hold up better than other players for play off hockey.

Some players just have more left in the tank at game 90 than others.

As Glen Healy puts it, there are just some players that will stink in June. Period.

I'm all for adding a W, but remember that you're talking about giving up significant picks and prospects

I think were at that point. The Stanley Cup window is open for the Habs. Getting some established winger for a 1st round pick might be worth it!

I think were at that point. The Stanley Cup window is open for the Habs. Getting some established winger for a 1st round pick might be worth it!

Our late 1st pick won't notch an established winger though.

I say throw them the package deal, Joe Thornton style. Quantity.

What's on sale :

All our 2016 draft picks

All our 2017 draft picks

it, 2018 as well...

Kassian

Flynn

Emelin

Gilbert

Fucale

All of them : Thomas - Andrighetto - Hudon - Pateryn (eveyone not named Sherback, Juulsen or McCarron for that matter)

Tinordi (I'd hate to see him go, but hey, if it helps bringing #25 and maybe more to town...)

100 bags of pucks

2000 sticks

Free lodge for all the music shows at the Bell Centre

Limetime free Molson/Coors beer

Carey Price's sister, Plex' wife, National anthem singer Sarah Diamond, Ginette Reno, all of them.

• Upvote 1

I'm more than happy to trade whatever it takes to make us dominant for 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18.

Summer of 2018, Price becomes a UFA and the cap might not be high enough to fit him and whatever Pacioretty's next contract will be plus a dominant NHL team. Also by that point, Markov might be retired, Plekanec will be UFA and we will already be paying whatever Galchenyuk and Beaulieu get on their next contracts.

I don't care if we lose our first round picks for the next three years, nor do I care if we trade some of our prospects to acquire win now players. You win now.

You can still build in the draft, and we have such an overabundance of prospects and players under the age of 27 right now developing. Losing a few will not kill the farm, nor will being unable to draft another player on the level of Juulsen or Scherbak. Our first round pick is an early second round pick now. That's the value. That's how we should look at it.

Guest Stogey24

Your right. Also When Price makes 12 million a year on his next contract things get a little tougher

Our late 1st pick won't notch an established winger though.

I say throw them the package deal, Joe Thornton style. Quantity.

What's on sale :

All our 2016 draft picks

All our 2017 draft picks

###### it, 2018 as well...

Kassian

Flynn

Emelin

Gilbert

Fucale

All of them : Thomas - Andrighetto - Hudon - Pateryn (eveyone not named Sherback, Juulsen or McCarron for that matter)

Tinordi (I'd hate to see him go, but hey, if it helps bringing #25 and maybe more to town...)

100 bags of pucks

2000 sticks

Free lodge for all the music shows at the Bell Centre

Limetime free Molson/Coors beer

Carey Price's sister, Plex' wife, National anthem singer Sarah Diamond, Ginette Reno, all of them.

Post of the year.