Jan. 23, Montreal vs Toronto, 7 PM

dlbalr

It's a historic game of sorts tonight as Sportsnet will be broadcasting the Montreal-Toronto game in 4K, marking the first hockey game to be shown at resolution. Will 4 times the resolution mean 4 times the struggles? I hope not...

nvo9l.jpg

Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Brendan Gallagher

Alex Galchenyuk - David Desharnais - Dale Weise

Tomas Fleischmann - Lars Eller - Daniel Carr

Brian Flynn - Torrey Mitchell - Devante Smith-Pelly

Andrei Markov - P.K. Subban

Alexei Emelin - Jeff Petry

Nathan Beaulieu - Mark Barberio

Mike Condon

Ben Scrivens

Scratches: Jacob de la Rose, Greg Pateryn

Injuries: Paul Byron, Tom Gilbert, Carey Price

w0qtkg.jpg

Michael Grabner - Nazem Kadri - Leo Komarov

Shawn Matthias - Tyler Bozak - P-A Parenteau

Josh Leivo - Peter Holland - Joffrey Lupul

Daniel Winnik - Byron Froese - Richard Clune

Jake Gardiner - Dion Phaneuf

Matt Hunwick - Morgan Reilly

Martin Marincin - Roman Polak

James Reimer

Jonathan Bernier

Scratches: Brad Boyes, Frank Corrado

Injuries: James van Riemsdyk, Stephane Robidas, Nick Spaling

Puck drop is at 7 (but by the time you get the extended pregame show plus the pregame ceremony, probably closer to 7:20) on CBC, TBA Sports, and the NHL Network.

That lineup looks better with Carr in it.

And it's still a good lineup on paper. If everyone plays up to their career norms - Pleks, DD, Fleischman, and Markov, I'm looking at YOU - we really should get better results than we've been afflicted with.

Lord, do I hate Toronto. Please, please, let's have a turnaround and kick their fat asses.

I know I said this before in another thread, but what's up with Subban and Markov being paired together? I thought both MB and MT agreed less than 72 hours ago that he couldn't play top minutes. I would just take my chances with N8 to be honest, Markov can't compete with top competition.

Why are Markov and Subban still paired?

Another situation where its on the GM.... Beaulieu isn't playing well (and may have some kind of injury as he left last game early). The fact we have no one on LD is another problem the GM must fix.

2 Top 6 forwards

1 Top 4 LHD

at minimum need to be acquired to make this team a contender.

Thats the realization that has moved me from the "lets get one scorer and we can make a playoff run" group, to the "trade markov, weise, flash, gilbert; shut down price for the year, and tank" line of thinking.

Get one of your top 6 forwards or top 4 D via the draft.

Fill the other two spots in free agency.

Hope Beaulieu and Galchenyuk take another step forward. If they don't we'll have two more holes.

Why are Markov and Subban still paired?

Another situation where its on the GM.... Beaulieu isn't playing well (and may have some kind of injury as he left last game early). The fact we have no one on LD is another problem the GM must fix.

2 Top 6 forwards

1 Top 4 LHD

at minimum need to be acquired to make this team a contender.

Thats the realization that has moved me from the "lets get one scorer and we can make a playoff run" group, to the "trade markov, weise, flash, gilbert; shut down price for the year, and tank" line of thinking.

Get one of your top 6 forwards or top 4 D via the draft.

Fill the other two spots in free agency.

Hope Beaulieu and Galchenyuk take another step forward. If they don't we'll have two more holes.

Depressing, man.

That said, we could read your post as saying 'this is what the team needs if it doesn't have Price.'

With Price, we may well be able to get away with filling only some of those holes. E.g., there is simply no WAY we can continue without adding at least one more legit top-6 FW. But maybe we won't need two. Etc.

(Note also that it's possible MB has always agreed that this team as currently configured is not a legitimate Cup threat. This could explain, perversely, his patience and willingness to suffer this brutal losing streak without making major moves; in his mind, this was never going to be The Year).

Depressing, man.

(Note also that it's possible MB has always agreed that this team as currently configured is not a legitimate Cup threat. This could explain, perversely, his patience and willingness to suffer this brutal losing streak without making major moves; in his mind, this was never going to be The Year).

He has been putting this team together for 4 years, that is depressing, when is The Year going to come. I would like to see another Stanley in this decade.

also this reminds of that sign: Free beer tomorrow. :) Tomorrow never comes neither does the future.

He has been putting this team together for 4 years, that is depressing, when is The Year going to come. I would like to see another Stanley in this decade.

also this reminds of that sign: Free beer tomorrow. :) Tomorrow never comes neither does the future.

It's a legit criticism, although it's actually more like 3 1/2 years. We have some great core pieces, and the standard model is a 'five-year plan.' So, let's see what he does between now and September rather than go kaka-coo-coo, I say.

EDIT: gee, a TO-Habs game and zero commentary on the game thread? Sign of the times, eh??

DD with a nice goal. Let's have about five more like that tonight.

Good period for the Habs. Good thing they got the second one since they needed to get rewarded for that period. It's mental at this point.

Clune is gonna do something stupid tonight especially if it were to get out of hand.

Clune the clown... these are the times I miss Prust :bonk:

Vancouver fans have just about had enough of him too. Apparently he's way worse than he was last year.

Great period from the Habs, nice to see them get that second goal late.

Guest Stogey24

Glad I didn't go anywhere to watch the game now. snoozer

Plekanec is an absolute non-factor these days. Him and Markov are over the hill

I'm liking the Eller line. Flash and Carr having a good game

Eller has looked good since moving to the #3 C. He has had a couple of different wingers in that span but that line seems to look good regardless. Carr's a nice fit for them too, a bit more of an offensive threat.