What happens at the trade deadline?

Meller93

A lot of people describe montreal's season since December as a downward spiral, but I think it's more comparable to Felix Baumgartner's free fall from the stratosphere. This team feels deflated, it's almost as if the players are shocked by their own failure. As big of of slap in the face this season was, I can never get a read on Mark Bergevin. He keeps his cards close to his chest, and I can't help but feel like he might be holding on to that last shred of hope in making the playoffs.

Do you think Bergevin sells at the deadline? Do you want him to? Personally I don't want to fall back into a cycle of mediocrity. What can we get for the likes of Weise, Eller, hell even Markov?

Bergevin will sell. Everyone in the league knows it.

Weise knows he'll be gone. Fleischmann will be gone. Gilbert would have been if he didn't get shut down for the year. Bergevin will try to move some bigger contracts.

Right now Dreger is saying not a single GM is saying Markov is in play and it's only the media bringing him up. Expect to see him next year.

The most interesting player to me right now is Mark Barberio. Supposedly teams have called about him.

I am fine to see any of Markov, Weise, DD, Eller, Beaulieu, Barberio, Flieshmann, Pelly, Mitchell, Flynn, de la Rose, Emelin shipped out.

I think Bergevin will get back 2 draft picks and swap one roster player for another player.

Nothing will happen. I think MB maybe asking to much for his players. He doesn't want to look weak infront of the other gm's. Maybe just flash gets traded for a 5 pick. But I think that's about it. The last big deal he has done was get vanek. Hasn't done anything since. He has been living off that trade ever since.

Nothing will happen. I think MB maybe asking to much for his players. He doesn't want to look weak infront of the other gm's. Maybe just flash gets traded for a 5 pick. But I think that's about it. The last big deal he has done was get vanek. Hasn't done anything since. He has been living off that trade ever since.

Petry.

Like Commandant and probably the rest of you, I don't have a real sense of what MB would be up to. I do know however that he is fairly clever. Knowing that this time of year brings out maximum return on anybody; i would not be surprised if higher end players get put on the market. I really have my doubts if he is in full seller mode.

I would guess he told his foxhole-buddy to play the crap out of Flieschmann yesterday, sit Lessio (who played only because Weise sick) and give green light for d-men to rush-pinch also.

Like Commandant and probably the rest of you, I don't have a real sense of what MB would be up to. I do know however that he is fairly clever. Knowing that this time of year brings out maximum return on anybody; i would not be surprised if higher end players get put on the market. I really have my doubts if he is in full seller mode.

Yes that's exactly how I feel. We should keep in mind we already have two second round picks this year. We really could restock the cupboard if we went into seller mode. It's a shame Gilbert is injured too.

Just putting it out there, I don't like giving up on the team, but I just feel like if you're going to miss the playoffs you might as well get a good pick. Not sure if that means I'm giving up too fast ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More grinders and defensive depth please.

I would be very disappointed if MB is not a seller, I mean more than Fleishman and Weise.

Markov and Pleks can get you a 1st round pick and good young players.

I'm sure I'll be disappointed

I rather like Barberio and feel he has faced a bit of a double-standard from Habs fans. If he were a 25-year-old developed within the system, we'd be praising him to the heavens and probably griping at how management has wrongly stalled his progress. But because he is a 25-year-old with NHL experience brought in from outside the system, we dismiss him as a marginal piece who somehow 'doesn't count' as much as Pateryn or the great Jarred Tinordi.

Seems to me he is a serviceable bottom-pairing puck-moving defender, the kind of guy that's good to have around in the modern NHL.

I know my most irrational attribute as a fan (and not as a GM) is that I rarely ever enjoy the seller attitude. I guess I don't think enough about the future when there's a current season still going on. My problem.

With that being said, If we're going to get rid of some current players then I think we need to get at least one or two roster players who are capable of playing either right away or next year rather than only just getting draft picks. That doesn't seem like pure seller mode to me since the only players worth taking on would have to have some level of top 6 potential, hopefully.

For once, I am actually fine with getting rid of some players for some draft picks and we actually have to but out of next year's draft we can only expect one player to have a chance at making the team. I expect next year's team to be competitive and we can't exactly replace even a Weise or Eller from within (think playoffs). Desharnais or Fleischmann are more replaceable. Point is we need draft picks and another player or two with some level of skill beyond this tear. A different face to mesh with the core.

Funny that one of our most interesting line combinations from the start of the season (Flash--Des--Weise) are all on the trading block.

Wowza. Barberio's advanced stats look pretty much top pairing worthy. But what's his opposition like?

His usage is in the top bar, he's getting pretty easy minutes.

So no, he's not top pair worthy when we increase the minutes and the opposition...

that said the point here is that he gets paid way less than Emelin, and is way better. We should keep him around as a third pair defenceman who can fill in on the second pair if injuries hit, and probably retain him pretty cheap.

He isn't going to be great, and he's gonna mess up, but he's good value on the third pair. Due to age and his cheapness, we should keep him unless we get a really good offer.

Emelin, i'd trade if i could. .

Emelin, i'd trade if i could. .

Emelin is a player we could trade for skill to a team who feels like they're overpaying one of their forwards. Of course we could just save the salary by dumping him but I think that's a less likely scenario.

I thought about bringing him up and see it as being possible but I also personally have a soft spot for him so didn't want to bring him up. He's a great player to have in the playoffs in my opinion. If Boston can trade a Lucic type though I guess Emelin can be moved.

Emelin is a player we could trade for skill to a team who feels like they're overpaying one of their forwards. Of course we could just save the salary by dumping him but I think that's a less likely scenario.

I thought about bringing him up and see it as being possible but I also personally have a soft spot for him so didn't want to bring him up. He's a great player to have in the playoffs in my opinion. If Boston can trade a Lucic type though I guess Emelin can be moved.

Here is the difference... Lucic is a physical player where the physicality of his forecheck actually leads to puck possession, scoring chances and goals.

Emelin's physicality is shown, and you can see it in the chart, to have little effect at either generating possesion, or preventing goals against.

I'm not against physicality, but that physicality has to lead to goals, or to preventing goals.. cause ultimately thats the point of hockey, to put the puck in their net and keep it out of yours. Emelin when he gets running around looking for hits isn't helping the team.

But he has crushed Lucic lots and made him a detriment to Bruins actually winning and Emelin seems to play great vs Bruins.

We play the bruins 4 or 5 times a year depending on the schedule.... We need money to pay for players to score in the other games.

A lot of people describe montreal's season since December as a downward spiral, but I think it's more comparable to Felix Baumgartner's free fall from the stratosphere. This team feels deflated, it's almost as if the players are shocked by their own failure. As big of of slap in the face this season was, I can never get a read on Mark Bergevin. He keeps his cards close to his chest, and I can't help but feel like he might be holding on to that last shred of hope in making the playoffs.

Do you think Bergevin sells at the deadline? Do you want him to? Personally I don't want to fall back into a cycle of mediocrity. What can we get for the likes of Weise, Eller, hell even Markov?

Markov... the idea seems unthinkable. Marlov. What a magnificent Hab Markov has been. ...