UFA/RFA Habs: Who do you want back?

Trizzak

Yes, just like Ladd who said he has had enough of 'rebuilding' team (his shot at Jets I guess) and wants chance to win a cup.

Do the Hossa mercenary thing and go from one good team to the next until find one who wins a cup.

But, in saying Quebec isn't a preferred destination...hopefully Bergevin can toss enough $$/term at one of them to get em to bite. But maybe not if Bergevin is just twiddling his fingers and sitting on his arse as he supposedly did last year.

Makes one wonder, why did Molson hire the laziest & most risk-averse GM he could find?

I think Bergevin's idea was that he could afford to wait, look for the right opportunity. It was a sound plan - the team was obliterating the entire league until Price went down, suggesting that he could have held off until the trade deadline if that's what it took to add the missing piece. I don't fault him for what was a good strategy under the circumstances...nor do I fault him for not shipping out assets for a goalie last season.

So he sort of gets a pass from me (not that he cares) for last season. But between now and next deadline day, those pieces need to be acquired, and UFA season look like a promising chance to do it.

Sportsnet or TSN did an article on free agency a few months ago. In the article they talked to a bunch of agents all of whom stated that everyone of their clients who had NTC's all listed the 7 Canadian teams on their lists, or did when asked to do so.

Statistics show that guys who play in the lower US states with nice weather, no state income tax and usually start families with southern women, don't usually come back north.

All that may be true for a lot of players, but sunshine and privacy isn't why kids play hockey, winning means a lot imho.

Maybe some players couldn't handle the places like Mtl and Tor, but I say there are a lot of players who would like an opportunity to play with Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Petry as a young core in the next few seasons, because the players that can handle that media, aren't afraid of losing, but are instead committed to winning.

Everyone isn't shy and ball-less... I'll take an entire team of Gallaghers over the teams that can only afford to pay one Stamkos...who doesn't want to be interviewed or whatever.

It's a team game, not a prima donna ball for the awkward.

I think Bergevin's idea was that he could afford to wait, look for the right opportunity. It was a sound plan - the team was obliterating the entire league until Price went down, suggesting that he could have held off until the trade deadline if that's what it took to add the missing piece. I don't fault him for what was a good strategy under the circumstances...nor do I fault him for not shipping out assets for a goalie last season.

So he sort of gets a pass from me (not that he cares) for last season. But between now and next deadline day, those pieces need to be acquired, and UFA season look like a promising chance to do it.

Might as well disagree again, there seem to be 5 or 10 solid free agent forwards available...however, there are 30 teams bidding, so instead of overpaying it may be better off trying to trade for top six upgrade?

Or maybe put offer sheet on RW Valeri Nichushkin or the like?

Might as well disagree again, there seem to be 5 or 10 solid free agent forwards available...however, there are 30 teams bidding, so instead of overpaying it may be better off trying to trade for top six upgrade?

Or maybe put offer sheet on RW Valeri Nichushkin or the like?

Well...I'll err on the side of optimism for the moment. We'll know more in a couple of weeks!

Well...I'll err on the side of optimism for the moment. We'll know more in a couple of weeks!

Not pessimistic and hope Okposo or Eriksson can be signed, but if not, there are other ways to add to team.

Unfortunately acquiring players has gotten more complicated with the upcoming expansion team. If the Habs acquire a player with a NMC/NTC or sign a player and give him a NMC/NTC, that player will have to be protected in the expansion draft leaving someone else exposed. Possibly somebody of value to the Habs Cup hopes. I'm sure glad I'm not in Bergevin's shoes having to make these decisions. I wouldn't be surprised if he just signs or trades for 1 second line player and a depth guy or two.

Protected list as of today

7 Fwds

Galchenyuk

Pacioretty

Gallagher

Plekanec

-------------

----------

--------

Players with 2 years or less of pro experience do not need to be protected: McCarron, Scherbak, Lekonen, Reway.

Biggest players Exposed (or slot into the last three spots): Andrighetto, Hudon, Eller, Flynn, Byron, Matteau, Danault - also we can lose a max 1 of these guys.

We can afford to sign at least 2 top 6 forwards.

I remember when Sylvain Turgeon was taken by Ottawa in the expansion draft... Anybody else remember when the Habs lost players in expansion drafts? I seem to recall Kuntar and Hainsey were taken...

I remember when Sylvain Turgeon was taken by Ottawa in the expansion draft... Anybody else remember when the Habs lost players in expansion drafts? I seem to recall Kuntar and Hainsey were taken...

hainsey was foolishly lost on waivers, not the expansion draft.

Vokoun was the biggest player taken from us in an expansion draft.

Would have liked to see Lessio get Qualified. I think he has more upside than Danault.

Guys like Lessio have gone unqualified all day. I don't ever remember seeing this many decent players not get qualified. The Habs have a few of his type already in terms of fringe fourth liners. Danault, to me, has a lot more upside and considering he was the focal point of the Weise deal, of course he's going to get the longer leash. (Thomas, who the Habs dealt for Lessio, was let go by Arizona today as well.)

Maybe they figure they can lockup Dietz for less then the qualifying offer?

It's a possibility (his QO was only $724,500/$67,500) but they didn't need to non-tender him to be able to sign him for less.

I'm a little worried about the state of the AHL defence. This is who's currently signed:

Hanley

Lernout

Parisi

Johnston

Thrower

That's terrifyingly bad.

Juulsen is 19 turning 20 right? Should be in the AHL soon.

Colton Bobyk got a development camp invite... again. He could get a spot.

Juulsen is 19 turning 20 right? Should be in the AHL soon.

Colton Bobyk got a development camp invite... again. He could get a spot.

Juulsen doesn't turn 20 until April so he's not AHL-eligible until 2017-18.

Bobyk, if he were to get a deal, would just replace Travis Brown...who replaced Matt Grassi...who replaced Antoine Corbin. Those guys tend to be ECHL depth more than actual AHL producers.