Weber Appreciation Thread

C-Love

42 minutes ago, Commandant said:

http://www.tsn.ca/canadiens-move-to-no-1-in-nhl-power-rankings-1.591361

"  Their big offseason acquisition, D Shea Weber, is tied for the team lead with five points while struggling mightily in terms of possession (43.8 CF%, -3.8 CFRel%). "

So, are you showing that those stats are basically meaningless? Many will agree, keep on rockin Weber!

5 minutes ago, KoRP said:

Oh for crying out loud... he hasn't had a bad shift FFS.

He has....

Against Ottawa he had several.  I would even call that a bad game. 

He also had several shifts against Buffalo where the Sabres trapped him in his own end and got periods of sustained pressure and shots.

Overall he's been good, but don't say things like he hasn't had a bad shift, because those clearly arent true.  

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

"  Their big offseason acquisition, D Shea Weber, is tied for the team lead with five points while struggling mightily in terms of possession (43.8 CF%, -3.8 CFRel%). "

I'd love to take a poll of Hab fans to see who actually gives a crap

• Upvote 2

My take on his CF% is that he collapses around the net much more than other defensemen. You can watch him and he's never more than a few feet away from the crease. This is going to lead to more shots against, but there won't be as many high quality shots in and around the net. I don't think he's the full Douglas when it comes to being spanked in his own zone by any means.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

It's pretty much as I suspected when that article went around that Weber's bad possession stats were directly related to playing shifts with Paul Gaustad. How were the Habs bottom six going to be any better to him?

The illWill's of the world won't care since Weber will be graded much like people graded the Toronto Blue Jays. Nothing matters except dingers (which in Weber's case are goals from the point). If the dingers come, nothing else will matter to them.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

He has....

Against Ottawa he had several.  I would even call that a bad game. 

He also had several shifts against Buffalo where the Sabres trapped him in his own end and got periods of sustained pressure and shots.

Overall he's been good, but don't say things like he hasn't had a bad shift, because those clearly arent true.  

From the guy that everything he says is gospel...;) Hasn't had a bad shift.... figure of speech...to mock your initial post and ongoing narrative that he is doing poorly, which is clearly what you insinuated, and clearly he hasn't been bad.

Everyone has some bad shifts or games, or even seasons, clearly true.

Like your Boy Subby never cost us a game...clearly he has.

Some of you guys just go on and on and on, every second thread you bring up some justification of your opinion of the Subban trade, constantly looking to prove you're right, and it's clearly annoying...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The illWill's of the world won't care since Weber will be graded much like people graded the Toronto Blue Jays. Nothing matters except dingers (which in Weber's case are goals from the point). If the dingers come, nothing else will matter to them.

Dingers are great but it's all about wins. You didn't like the successful season the Jays had? 

But really though, we are talking about corsi? Corsi? Not the goals, not the assists, not the wins, not the plus minus, not the huge minutes, not the physicality, not the leadership, not the chemistry. We're talking about corsi? Lol okay then

• Upvote 1

Possession stats are interesting, but often meaningless. They can help fill in some gaps, but they are only supplemental. Traditional hockey stats mean far more than Corsi and Fenwick. It is a long-standing, effective strategy when any team has a highly effective goaltender to collapse around their own net to prevent quality shots, but allow weaker shots, then pounce on the every mistake the opposition makes. This will result in terrible possession stats. It also has won several cups, including one in 1993.

Weber is +10 to start the year and lead the league.  I get it that corsi and advanced stats are one way to measure a player, but so is actual points and +\-.  I would say that so far IMO, Weber has been a good fit for the team.  I'm enjoying the great start to the season for the Habs.

It wont matter unless his corsi is up to snuff.

Guy keeps shelling out the solid outings but gets pooped on at every turn by the advanced stats community. The guy literally made it impossible for anyone to clean up the garbage in front of Price during the final minutes but that wont show up in the advanced stats.

The guy shoots and he scores, he passes when everyone thinks he will shoot and someone else scores. He generates scoring chances by putting the puck to the net. He makes the quick easy play with the puck everytime and rarely gets himself or his team in trouble. 

39 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

26 minutes ago, Link67 said:

It wont matter unless his corsi is up to snuff.

Guy keeps shelling out the solid outings but gets pooped on at every turn by the advanced stats community. The guy literally made it impossible for anyone to clean up the garbage in front of Price during the final minutes but that wont show up in the advanced stats.

The guy shoots and he scores, he passes when everyone thinks he will shoot and someone else scores. He generates scoring chances by putting the puck to the net. He makes the quick easy play with the puck everytime and rarely gets himself or his team in trouble. 

Here is the thing with complaining about advanced stats before you check the advanced stats....

Weber actually had a very solid game in the advanced stats tonight too.  

Overall Weber was great tonight, and yes the advanced stats captured it.

In general, It also captures this " clean up the garbage in front "... too.  You can see that if you look for HDSCF%.... High danger scoring chances.  If he's preventing them when he is on the ice, they will show up in stats.

And guess what, when he plays a great game like tonight, they do show up in the stats.

When he plays poorly like the first two games of the year, those stats weren't good. .... 

He has gotten better nearly every game though, and thats a really good sign.  

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Here is the thing with complaining about advanced stats before you check the advanced stats....

Weber actually had a very solid game in the advanced stats tonight too.  

Overall Weber was great tonight, and yes the advanced stats captured it.

In general, It also captures this " clean up the garbage in front "... too.  You can see that if you look for HDSCF%.... High danger scoring chances.  If he's preventing them when he is on the ice, they will show up in stats.

And guess what, when he plays a great game like tonight, they do show up in the stats.

When he plays poorly like the first two games of the year, those stats weren't good. .... 

He has gotten better nearly every game though, and thats a really good sign.  

From a visual standpoint watching the game I have yet to see him play poorly. He has had some great games in there mixed with solid ones but play poorly? Not a chance.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Link67 said:

From a visual standpoint watching the game I have yet to see him play poorly. He has had some great games in there mixed with solid ones but play poorly? Not a chance.

The problem I see, is that we don't attribute being trapped in the zone for long periods of time as "playing poorly" when we really should. If a puck doesn't go in the net, and the defenceman throws a few hits and blocks a few shots, we think its fine. But the lack of puck movement on those shifts and the inability to retrieve a loose puck and get it out of the zone should be a red flag. It's a huge failure of most people when evaluating the game.  Those happened to him against both Buffalo and Ottawa. 

Did you think that Pateryn - Beaulieu pair had a good night last night?  Cause the reality is that they were terrible. 

Thursday night against Arizona, Weber was amazing. And yet the advanced stats junkies panned him. The basic reason is that great defensive play results in bad advanced stats numbers. And yet no team has ever succeeded without some great, defense-first minded players. Weber has an advantage of being one of those types of players and still putting up lots of goals and assists.

Last i checked when we are pinned back in our end its 5 guys pinned not 1... 

i was at the sabres game and i dont recall them being pinned in their end for extended periods... 

extended periods= your whole shift  where your gassed and need to get off... like 35/50 sec resulting in multiple looks and chances on goals

an establishing a cycle and possession in the offensive zone is a normal part of the game.

weber has played well in each of the 6 games... obviously some better then others

15 hours ago, illWill said:

I'd love to take a poll of Hab fans to see who actually gives a crap

Done, came up that 0% of you and I are interested in hearing anything on corsi after every game.:B)