Weber Appreciation Thread

C-Love

• 2 months later...

Just adding to the discussion :)

IMG_4089.JPG

At least I didn't post it in the Subban/Weber trade thread...

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Just adding to the discussion :)

IMG_4089.JPG

At least I didn't post it in the Subban/Weber trade thread...

Yes, no need to get Subban fanclub all worked up.:hyper:

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Yes, no need to get Subban fanclub all worked up.:hyper:

Ahhh that ship has sailed. Weber is a Hab, and PK still cries himself to sleep at night, wishing he was that he still wore the most famous jersey in hockey. :habslogo:

• Upvote 1

You know, the Great God Weber has 4 G and 9 A in his last 30 games. Extrapolated over 82 games, that's a 35 point pace. Not exactly Norris numbers. Now I know that it's ridiculous to discount his early-season explosion, but 30 games is enough of a data set to suggest that the Conference has adjusted to his boomer and that what we're now seeing is what we can expect to continue to see. Nor has his supposedly mind-bending toughness and supposedly sublime defensive mastery made the Habs markedly stronger in their own zone than they were two years ago.

Fortunately, Subban's season has been even worse, marred by injuries, etc..

McDavid recently had some kind words about Weber and considered him one of if not the toughest defender to play against.

I thought Weber did a good job shutting him down as best he could too. I think he has dipped off a bit for sure but so has the rest of the team.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You know, the Great God Weber has 4 G and 9 A in his last 30 games. Extrapolated over 82 games, that's a 35 point pace. Not exactly Norris numbers. Now I know that it's ridiculous to discount his early-season explosion, but 30 games is enough of a data set to suggest that the Conference has adjusted to his boomer and that what we're now seeing is what we can expect to continue to see. Nor has his supposedly mind-bending toughness and supposedly sublime defensive mastery made the Habs markedly stronger in their own zone than they were two years ago.

Fortunately, Subban's season has been even worse, marred by injuries, etc..

I read a stat the other day that said Weber had the exact same goal and assist totals through the same number of games as last year. So saying that the Conference has adjusted to him doesn't hold much merit. The guy puts up about 50 points per season consistently, so of course there will be hot and cold streaks that a person can cherry pick to prove a point. He is still the 12th ranked overall fantasy player in my league including those last 30 games, so he must be doing something right out there

2 minutes ago, illWill said:

I read a stat the other day that said Weber had the exact same goal and assist totals through the same number of games as last year. So saying that the Conference has adjusted to him doesn't hold much merit. The guy puts up about 50 points per season consistently, so of course there will be hot and cold streaks that a person can cherry pick to prove a point. He is still the 12th ranked overall fantasy player in my league including those last 30 games, so he must be doing something right out there

Yes, time will tell, obviously. But I think the "Conference has adjusted" argument remains worth keeping an eye on, because it's not just the overall numbers, it's how they're distributed. That he blew everyone away in the first month and has been a 35-point man since then suggests that the "adjustment" narrative remains viable. It'll be interesting to see if he can spike back upwards down the stretch and into the playoffs, or whether what we see now is pretty much what we get.

41 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

McDavid recently had some kind words about Weber and considered him one of if not the toughest defender to play against.

I thought Weber did a good job shutting him down as best he could too. I think he has dipped off a bit for sure but so has the rest of the team.

I thought Weber had a horrible game against McDavid and Montoya was the only reason he didn't have 3 points or more.  he had real trouble with the speed. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I thought Weber had a horrible game against McDavid and Montoya was the only reason he didn't have 3 points or more.  he had real trouble with the speed. 

Interesting you bring that up. I didn't watch the game, but on the highlights, I repeatedly noticed Weber being turned around, beaten on plays around the net. That's a separate issue from the 30-game dip in offensive output, of course, but also a bit unsettling. Then again, once the refs pocket the whistles in the playoffs he may be able to be more effective against super-fast rosters.

I love the intangibles that Weber brings - I'd feel much worse about nutcases Radulov and Shaw having such key roles without him around.  And I'm sure as a personality, it's a lot easier going to work every day with him as the highest paid player, rather than PK with his endless branding and goofball tendencies.  

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, Neech said:

I love the intangibles that Weber brings - I'd feel much worse about nutcases Radulov and Shaw having such key roles without him around.  And I'm sure as a personality, it's a lot easier going to work every day with him as the highest paid player, rather than PK with his endless branding and goofball tendencies.  

Ya, Weber is sure keeping Shaw from being a meat stick 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes, time will tell, obviously. But I think the "Conference has adjusted" argument remains worth keeping an eye on, because it's not just the overall numbers, it's how they're distributed. That he blew everyone away in the first month and has been a 35-point man since then suggests that the "adjustment" narrative remains viable. It'll be interesting to see if he can spike back upwards down the stretch and into the playoffs, or whether what we see now is pretty much what we get.

And that soft d-man he was traded for appears that he cant handle the tough play in the west and falling apart already, not a surprise...the pussy.:devil:

Nice that you don't hear HabFans missing or mentioning him at all, as 99.9% of us have rightly moved on.:clap:

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Interesting.

I noticed two occasions where McDavid got the upper hand. One where he was forced to take a very light penalty on him because of his speed and the second from behind the net where the puck jumped over his stick and had to chase him to the front of the net and Montoya bailed him out.

I also remembered him using his positioning to keep McDavid to the outside and then plastering him into the boards. He faced him more than any other D man and he didn't get one point that night because of it.

8 minutes ago, DON said:

And that soft d-man he was traded for appears that he cant handle the tough play in the west and falling apart already, not a surprise...the pussy.:devil:

Nice that you don't hear HabFans missing or mentioning him at all, as 99.9% of us have rightly moved on.:clap:

I have moved on, and Weber is great. We just lost a little pizzazz.

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Except for the people who constantly bring him up.... 

6 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Interesting.

I noticed two occasions where McDavid got the upper hand. One where he was forced to take a very light penalty on him because of his speed and the second from behind the net where the puck jumped over his stick and had to chase him to the front of the net and Montoya bailed him out.

I also remembered him using his positioning to keep McDavid to the outside and then plastering him into the boards. He faced him more than any other D man and he didn't get one point that night because of it.

Shhh; that wont make them happy, using eye test facts like that.:popcorn:

10 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Interesting.

There was also the time he fell on his ass, and gave up a 4 on 1, where Markov/Montoya saved his bacon. 

There was getting beat to the outside with 3 minutes left, where McDavid deeked Montoya and didn't score. 

There were the chances you mentioned. 

And there was the coaching staff recognizing the issue and making sure it was Petry vs McDavid in OT. 

Didn't get a point is misleading thanks to Montoya.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Except for the people who constantly bring him up.... 

Yup, is basically down to one straggler who still manages to squeeze in a 76 reference not matter the topic. Sad isn't it.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There was also the time he fell on his ass, and gave up a 4 on 1, where Markov/Montoya saved his bacon. 

There was getting beat to the outside with 3 minutes left, where McDavid deeked Montoya and didn't score. 

There were the chances you mentioned. 

And there was the coaching staff recognizing the issue and making sure it was Petry vs McDavid in OT. 

Didn't get a point is misleading thanks to Montoya.

Ok he slipped and fell, he ed up big time there but mistakes happen.

I don't think that last one you said was Weber but in any event I see you are focusing on what he did wrong and not giving any credit to him doing the right things. McDavids best chances came when Weber was not on the ice.

Montoya played amazingly no question about it and I he carried the game as long as he could.

Overall Weber has been good this season.  He has had some struggles with particularly fast teams though, and those struggles have been more often since about Christmas. 

He's a guy who will really benefit from the bye week IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Overall Weber has been good this season.  He has had some struggles with particularly fast teams though, and those struggles have been more often since about Christmas. 

He's a guy who will really benefit from the bye week IMO. 

To be fair a lot of D men struggle with fast teams, especially McDavid. The kid has blistering speed and wicked skill.

But I agree I think he and the whole team will appreciate the by week.

9 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

You guys kidding me...Weber is a beast.  he makes the whole team better. And remember he is paired with Emelin, which IMHO is dead wrong.  He should be paired with Petry or Markov.  

Agree that Emelin is the wrong partner, but....

1) He plays the same side as Petry and neither have played LD in their career

2) Markov has lost a step over the years, I see a Weber/Markov pair being burned speed wise. 

They need to get a fast LHD to play with Weber.