Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Montreal Canadiens | October 29th, 2016 | 7:00 EST

Habsfan84

Not a dominating win by any means in this one but we got the job done when it matters.

Unfortunately we now have till Wednesday for the next game. Hope the interruption doesn't get us out of rhythm.   

20 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

Unfortunately we now have till Wednesday for the next game. Hope the interruption doesn't get us out of rhythm.   

I think that the rest will do them good.  They didn't seem to have much jump tonight, and perhaps having played 5 games in 8 nights had a lot to do with that.

The Leafs played outstanding: a team built for the direction in which hockey is going, i.e., tons and tons of speed. They also had a great push-back after the Weber goal, speaking to a club with character. And their speed was simply too much for the Habs, shift after shift - Markov and Emelin in particular struggled, but even Petry had some problems. I completely understand the report that Bergevin is looking for a top-4 defenceman. Unless Beaulieu makes the jump, which obviously the Habs don't feel he's about to do, the Habs lack a guy who can take command of the transition game and sweep the puck out of the zone with speed, at least when they're playing teams like this one. The result is we get hemmed in and beaten to pucks.

That said, we still won, and why? Because our two best players - Price and Weber - were ultimately better than anything the Leafs could throw at us. Matthews was good, but wasn't yet at the level where he could outclass those two.

Patches had a strong game, I thought. He should be potting some pretty soon.

But the single best player on the ice all night was actually Nylander. Holy cow, what a player. If he plays like that every night he is going to be a superstar. Exciting time to be a Leafs fan - imagine that.

34 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Weber comes through again with another GWG.  They played better in the third but they relied on Price too much for my liking tonight.  Still, a win's a win, seven in a row now.

Shouldn't Weber get a +1 for his GWG on the powerplay?  Stats sheet have him finishing the game at 0.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

PP/PKs don't count for +/-.

Really?  I thought on a PP it did.  Man, I've been asleep for years then.  What a revelation....

17 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

Really?  I thought on a PP it did.  Man, I've been asleep for years then.  What a revelation....

It would have to go both ways. If a player gets a + on the PP then the other team should receive a - on the PK as well. Neither do though.  

Personally, I'm happy I'm not a Leafs fan. Sure they have some exciting kids but there's no proof of anything championship caliber as of yet. It was an exciting time to be Edmonton fan 5 years ago as well and that did nothing for them. The Leafs definitely are a quick team and I actually agreed with Petry's statement about not getting into a run and gun game with them after I witnessed some of that in the second period. They're going to have a tough game against teams with a real defensive structure though and I don't have any faith that they're going anywhere any time soon. 

5 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It would have to go both ways. If a player gets a + on the PP then the other team should receive a - on the PK as well. Neither do though.  

Personally, I'm happy I'm not a Leafs fan. Sure they have some exciting kids but there's no proof of anything championship caliber as of yet. It was an exciting time to be Edmonton fan 5 years ago as well and that did nothing for them. The Leafs definitely are a quick team and I actually agreed with Petry's statement about not getting into a run and gun game with them after I witnessed some of that in the second period. They're going to have a tough game against teams with a real defensive structure though and I don't have any faith that they're going anywhere any time soon. 

Leafs need a stud on D.  I bet they go after PK Subban hard... :)

• Upvote 1

A win is good, icetime really spread out.

Broadcast was very hard to listen to.

Montoya has had super start to season (1.47 .954 4gms) but Price is been even a cut above him (1.40 .955 5gms)

Weber with 3 of Habs 8 GWGs.

(Both Pacioretty goals were GWGs)

#27 is 30W & 60L on faceoffs, with several days off, hopefully he puts in some extra work with Muller on draws.

And their speed was simply too much for the Habs, shift after shift - Markov and Emelin in particular struggled, but even Petry had some problems.

let's not forget that our boys had played 5 game sin 8 nights. I think that in general we have enough speed to deal with quick teams like the Leafs. Our boys were just a little tired last night! These next 4 days will do our boys some good!

I have to say that I like what I see so far this year. Carey is Carey, but the Habs seem to be relying on him a little bit less this year compared to last year! Let's hope they can keep it up!

4 hours ago, Habsfan said:

let's not forget that our boys had played 5 game sin 8 nights. I think that in general we have enough speed to deal with quick teams like the Leafs. Our boys were just a little tired last night! These next 4 days will do our boys some good!

I have to say that I like what I see so far this year. Carey is Carey, but the Habs seem to be relying on him a little bit less this year compared to last year! Let's hope they can keep it up!

I think the fact that El Cuba can come in and hold the fort gives them a lot of confidence. Of course don't forget we have Kirk Muller coaching now.:D

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Leafs played outstanding: a team built for the direction in which hockey is going, i.e., tons and tons of speed. They also had a great push-back after the Weber goal, speaking to a club with character. And their speed was simply too much for the Habs, shift after shift - Markov and Emelin in particular struggled, but even Petry had some problems. I completely understand the report that Bergevin is looking for a top-4 defenceman. Unless Beaulieu makes the jump, which obviously the Habs don't feel he's about to do, the Habs lack a guy who can take command of the transition game and sweep the puck out of the zone with speed, at least when they're playing teams like this one. The result is we get hemmed in and beaten to pucks.

That said, we still won, and why? Because our two best players - Price and Weber - were ultimately better than anything the Leafs could throw at us. Matthews was good, but wasn't yet at the level where he could outclass those two.

Patches had a strong game, I thought. He should be potting some pretty soon.

But the single best player on the ice all night was actually Nylander. Holy cow, what a player. If he plays like that every night he is going to be a superstar. Exciting time to be a Leafs fan - imagine that.

So that explains why I'm tearing up.. .CC>. how could you say such a thing.. sob.... sob...:wacko:

8 hours ago, Habsfan said:

I think the 5 games in 8 days may well account for the quite apparent speed differential... but what the hell do I know! I hope that accounts for it. I was happy for Leaf fans however in that they had a club that was clearly into the game and playing intense hockey. This is a good thing every 50 years or so. And how thrilled they'd have been to bring our wonderful string of games to a losing end. .. NOT! As was already pointed out, CP and the PK subsitute.. got it done.  I look forward to seeing les boys when the freshness factor is more even. Happy for the win of course cuz I'm a slut.   And thanks Mr Gainey for drafting a team from the goaltender out. :P