Nov. 5, Flyers vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

I wouldn't even wave good bye to Pacioretty if a decent trade came along. 

As much as I think he's a great goal scorer with an even better contract. I'd have no problem trading him. but who am I, right.. 

Because his contract has such great value, a player better than him would have to come back the other way to justify it. I'm not sure there's a deal out there that would make sense for both sides in terms of lineup and value, but it'd be interesting to see what the potential return would be. 

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

I wouldn't even wave good bye to Pacioretty if a decent trade came along. 

As much as I think he's a great goal scorer with an even better contract. I'd have no problem trading him. but who am I, right.. 

All have an opinion, but why would you want to get rid of the best scoring winger the habs have had for 20 or 30 years (Kovalev had 1 good year with 40 good games and 40 he floated around chasing butterflies).

Don't understand the thinking behind that?

Guest Stogey24

That's pretty much it

I just find it funny that a team who bases everything around character, has a Captain that's been known to take nights off.  

As much as I thought it was ridiculous that Pacioretty got called out for dogging it at the world cup. I actually liked that a coach finally gave him the gears for something I've watched him do on more than one occasion. 

Guest Stogey24
40 minutes ago, illWill said:

Because his contract has such great value, a player better than him would have to come back the other way to justify it. I'm not sure there's a deal out there that would make sense for both sides in terms of lineup and value, but it'd be interesting to see what the potential return would be. 

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

That's pretty much it

I just find it funny that a team who bases everything around character, has a Captain that's been known to take nights off.  

As much as I thought it was ridiculous that Pacioretty got called out for dogging it at the world cup. I actually liked that a coach finally gave him the gears for something I've watched him do on more than one occasion. 

So you approve of coach calling out his players to the media do you?

I can see why people think Pacioretty doesn't give full effort every game but I'm not convinced that it's necessarily the case. As silly as it may sound, I think he has quite an effortless stride which kind of makes it look like he's not playing at full capacity. 

There are definitely areas he can improve, as he still has been for years trying to stay away from the perimeter and getting himself closer to the net but I don't think he consciously mails his effort level in. For me there's a difference between a player like him and a player like Kovalev or A. Kostitsyn. Those players you could clearly tell when the effort level wasn't there. 

Pacioretty is Montreal's version of Kessel. I doubt you'll get the return you want for him and there's a good chance he will goto a team that gives him less responsibility which will help his on ice performance. Unlike Kessel he doesn't have a heavy contract to shy bidders for him but I don't see Philly giving up Simmonds for him. That's for sure. 

You settle with either a package of players and picks you hope pan out, or get a lesser player you hope fits better, or he stays until his contract expires and you go a different direction. 

5 hours ago, DON said:

153rd on faceoffs likely is part of reason.

Also #1 centre on Habs is 50th in icetime, so much more balanced than most (all) teams and many top centres also play PK, which Galchneyuk virtually plays zero (0:07, 141st) because his defense is still a work in progress wouldn't you agree.

But at 10-1-1 ya got to find something to try and complain about eh. Try good point 

Good point on the face offs. But with that kind of production, I would like to see that toi go up. There is an organizational weakness at Centre and he is the closest thing to elite centre.

20 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Good point on the face offs. But with that kind of production, I would like to see that toi go up. There is an organizational weakness at Centre and he is the closest thing to elite centre.

He is much closer to being an elite winger than elite centre, safe to say isn't it?

But, I guess we got to keep trying square peg in round hole until it is obvious to all where he should be playing.

Galchenyuk is the guy who gets set up for one-timers and is not near as dangerous as a playmaker.,,is he? (e.g. last year more goals than assists- 30g 26a)

Pacioretty is the kind of player he is: a goal-scorer. Goal scorers always look like they're dogging it when they're not scoring. It seems to be the nature of the breed. Rather than focusing on what he doesn't bring - physical toughness, shift-after-shift relentless hustle - we should focus on the fact that he is a legit first-line W and one of the best snipers in the NHL. He probably should not be wearing the "C," but that's just something we have to accept; that he doesn't fit our conception of a "team captain" is not a reason to trade him. In point of fact, there IS no reason to trade him. Zero.

As for Galchenyuk, a PPG C is an elite C, but I concede the "faceoff" issue. Just have to hope he can work at it and get better. The alternative is DD as your #1C; non merci.

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Pacioretty is the kind of player he is: a goal-scorer. Goal scorers always look like they're dogging it when they're not scoring. It seems to be the nature of the breed. Rather than focusing on what he doesn't bring - physical toughness, shift-after-shift relentless hustle - we should focus on the fact that he is a legit first-line W and one of the best snipers in the NHL. He probably should not be wearing the "C," but that's just something we have to accept; that he doesn't fit our conception of a "team captain" is not a reason to trade him. In point of fact, there IS no reason to trade him. Zero.

As for Galchenyuk, a PPG C is an elite C, but I concede the "faceoff" issue. Just have to hope he can work at it and get better. The alternative is DD as your #1C; non merci.

Just don't have any real option besides Galchenyuk, so he is it for now and they will have a workaround for faceoffs as they seem to be doing now. I guess next off-season they will be on search for centre upgrade to help Plekanec-Galchenyuk.

Yes, it's pretty obvious that the solution is for Galchenyuk to get better at faceoffs. If he could move from awful to half-decent, there's your problem solved right there. Shouldn't be impossible. Muller knows about winning faceoffs.

The other 'solution' is to trade Galchenyuk for a different C with a similar offensive ceiling, but better on faceoffs. Hence, Machine's post above.

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes, it's pretty obvious that the solution is for Galchenyuk to get better at faceoffs. If he could move from awful to half-decent, there's your problem solved right there. Shouldn't be impossible. Muller knows about winning faceoffs.

The other 'solution' is to trade Galchenyuk for a different C with a similar offensive ceiling, but better on faceoffs. Hence, Machine's post above.

You see only 2 options? And you call Therrien plodding?:huh:

6 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Come on guys we are not trading Galchenyuk for anybody. OOPS I said that about some other guy, rather dark complexion as I recall. Never say never.

That other guy wasn't drafted in the 1st round by current Mgmt though.

I don't know the stats on faceoff % by 1st line centers in the league but I don't think your 1st line center has to be the best player on the team in faceoffs. Would be nice for him to get better though. 

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Many believe a management regime is more attached to players brought into the organization compared to those who were already with the team when the new GM was hired.

Exactly, draft a big skilled forward 3rd overall, get him to be a 30 goal scorer 3 years later and then dump him seems very hard to believe ever happening.