Dec. 2, Habs vs Sharks, 10:30 PM

dlbalr

Pleks is not a floater. He never has been and never will be; he's given his all for a decade and has been one of the best Habs of his era.

He's simply lost a step. Not his fault, but it does mean he is a pure checker going forward.

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Who's giving out all the -1's? pretty easy to click button puss  

A butthurt Max fan I guess.

They can keep on clicking that -1, because Max is playing like a damn bum, and as long as he keeps playing like a bum I'm going to be ticked off by it and will not hesitate to call him out for it.  So, whoever is dealing out the down arrows can 'kiss my Pacioretty', it's not going to change anything.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Pleks is not a floater. He never has been and never will be; he's given his all for a decade and has been one of the best Habs of his era.

He's simply lost a step. Not his fault, but it does mean he is a pure checker going forward.

Good point.  It's not like he's stopped trying...he just doesn't have that bit of speed to get the separation from defenders needed to get himself quality chances.  He still does a solid job in the D zone.  The overpay is on MB, not the player.

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

I don't buy the bad luck is the reason they lose.

It's too many floaters on any given night, your captain and 6 million dollar man don't show up nightly, 

I don't buy that there are floaters, I think that's lazy analysis. 

Patch is a guy with a tremendous shot, who doesn't score a lot of goals in tight.  He needs to get the puck in two ways 1) in transition, with time and space to skate and shoot, or b) in the slot.  

The D aren't getting him the puck in spot 1), the centres cant get him the puck in 2); despite that he is still putting up assists and last i looked was on pace for close to 60 points.  The idea that he's lazy and a floater is one i just can't agree with.  Add to that, he's been a pretty strong two=way forward for most of his career.  I think people are nitpicking at the guy right now. 

Is it all luck? no... but when teams are evenly matched and playing one goal games, luck is a factor. 

Teams lose games, it happens, but that was a very even game last night, (So was Anaheim).  In fact the Habs controlled the play in both.  I don't see either game as showing that the Habs can't win a 4 out of 7 against a heavy team.  We've also been pretty dominant over the years against the Eastern Conference's heaviest team, so I don't really see that as a factor. 

13 minutes ago, Chris said:

I don't buy the bad luck is the reason they lose.

The problem is that whey you don't have many guys playing well, and don't get that many quality chances, it amplifies the bad bounces and posts that you do get so that it seems more like a 'bad luck' situation.  The truth is, teams scoring in buckets have just as many posts hit and pucks skipping over stick blades...but we don't notice them as much because they are offset by the 3-4 goals they are reliably scoring each game.

There are teams that reliably score 3-4 goals per game?  Who are these teams, cause they don't play 82 NHL games... not in 2016.   Not since the early 90s is there a team that reliably scores 3-4 goals a game.  No team is close to averaging 3.5 per game over a full season. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't buy that there are floaters, I think that's lazy analysis. 

Patch is a guy with a tremendous shot, who doesn't score a lot of goals in tight.  He needs to get the puck in two ways 1) in transition, with time and space to skate and shoot, or b) in the slot.  

The D aren't getting him the puck in spot 1), the centres cant get him the puck in 2); despite that he is still putting up assists and last i looked was on pace for close to 60 points.  The idea that he's lazy and a floater is one i just can't agree with.  Add to that, he's been a pretty strong two=way forward for most of his career.  I think people are nitpicking at the guy right now. 

Is it all luck? no... but when teams are evenly matched and playing one goal games, luck is a factor. 

Teams lose games, it happens, but that was a very even game last night, (So was Anaheim).  In fact the Habs controlled the play in both.  I don't see either game as showing that the Habs can't win a 4 out of 7 against a heavy team.  We've also been pretty dominant over the years against the Eastern Conference's heaviest team, so I don't really see that as a factor. 

I've speculated before that Max really misses Subban's playmaking and transition skills. The irony is exquisite.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I've speculated before that Max really misses Subban's playmaking and transition skills. The irony is exquisite.

Its clear, he would score about 8-9 breakaway goals a year.  Does he even have one breakaway this year?

Montreal is currently 24th in the league for points on the road. 27th for goals for on the road (7th for goals against), 25th in shots for on the road (6th in shots against so defensively on the road they've been good).

If we go just November 1st until now for road games, Montreal is dead last with only two points in 6 games. Montreal has scored 8 goals in that frame.

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its clear, he would score about 8-9 breakaway goals a year.  Does he even have one breakaway this year?

:thumbs_up:

It makes sense that you can't subtract a superstar talent and replace him with a stud who plays a totally different game, and not have it ramify for other players in the roster. MaxPac needs to make the adjustment...if he can.

I love the idea of "reuniting" MaxPac with PK in Nashville :lol: They can argue over the "C" there once Fisher gives up the ghost. 

• Upvote 1

We have hit a bit of a cold streak to be sure. This happens to all teams and even so just has others have pointed out we are still battling and are playing well but are not getting rewarded.

Chuck, Max and Gally all had great chances and either missed the net or were shut down by Jones. Price commented that the last two games were decided by great goaltending and unfortunately Price lost those duels. It happens even to the greats.

Still that play by Chuck on the second goal against was the back breaker, that was his naivety shining through. We still need to work on a couple things for sure.

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There are teams that reliably score 3-4 goals per game?  Who are these teams, cause they don't play 82 NHL games... not in 2016.   Not since the early 90s is there a team that reliably scores 3-4 goals a game.  No team is close to averaging 3.5 per game over a full season. 

When they are playing well, Rangers / Pens are popping 3 or 4 a game (averaging 3 or better), and they are playing well more often than not and have reeled the Habs in.  Of course they have off games that will keep it from being 3.5av, but I don't see them having as many 1 goal game as we seem to, squandering the heroics of #31.

Those are the teams I look at as the ones you have to measure against if you want to go anywhere in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I love the idea of "reuniting" MaxPac with PK in Nashville :lol: They can argue over the "C" there once Fisher gives up the ghost. 

A couple weeks ago I might have taken that deal but Neal has been scoring well since. Nashville counters with Craig Smith and Austin Watson :P

Also I get the feeling in Nashville everyone expects Josi to be the next captain. 

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I suspect this is very true. I don't think Pacioretty is playing lazy. I also don't think he is playing any different than he did for the last few years. If I were MT, I would try to have him out with Markov as much as possible. Markov can pull off that stretch pass.

1 minute ago, BCHabnut said:

I suspect this is very true. I don't think Pacioretty is playing lazy. I also don't think he is playing any different than he did for the last few years. If I were MT, I would try to have him out with Markov as much as possible. Markov can pull off that stretch pass.

Max was fed a pass right in front of the slot with plenty of room from Radulov and missed the net again. He is getting fed the pucks on a silver plater but he's missing. He just hasn't found his groove this year.

Well my take on last night is this is a very offensively challenged team. It did not help that we lost Rads. We had a 4 minute penalty with 4 minutes left. You are down 2 goals, so you need to score on the first penalty, so a smart and aggressive coaching staff, would have pulled Carey asap in the 1st penalty and gone 6 on 4. Our coaching staff were and are not that aggressive. I have always believed lose  by 1 lose by 100 you lost. So the last 5 to 10 mins are risk taking time. Le Genius seems to think that losing by 1 is ok. It's not. We had an opportunity and we squandered it. We hoped that the regular P/P would get us 1 during the first penalty. The same P/P that accomplished zippo all night and has been in a bit of a slump lately. Personally I don't think we had anything to lose trying a gamble. Sometimes the ole hail mary works, sometimes it is all you got.

The rest of the game showed why we are too small, They pushed us all over the place. Their defence was better and they have more offence. We have Carey Price. He will keep you in the game but they won't let him past the red line. Flame on.

PP was 1 for 4, 25% on PP would be 2nd in NHL.

Hey hey hey, Galchenyuk gets 20 minutes of icetime and 67-27-47 was used as a line.

Great to see the Finn get his 3rd. Only 30 shots on Price also acceptable and was an entertaining game.

Was very worried for Radulov; but supposedly his pretty mug will just get prettier with some stiches and no eye injury.

An extra early west coast game in L.A. should be a sloppy snoozefest, as many early games seem to be.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What if we trade Pacioretty to NSH to help him?  For Josi :)

36 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

What if we trade Pacioretty to NSH to help him?  For Josi :)

Ha ha, that's actually not a bad trade for either team...except that it would devastate our already-inadequate FW unit

2 hours ago, habs rule said:

Well my take on last night is this is a very offensively challenged team. It did not help that we lost Rads. We had a 4 minute penalty with 4 minutes left. You are down 2 goals, so you need to score on the first penalty, so a smart and aggressive coaching staff, would have pulled Carey asap in the 1st penalty and gone 6 on 4. Our coaching staff were and are not that aggressive. I have always believed lose  by 1 lose by 100 you lost. So the last 5 to 10 mins are risk taking time. Le Genius seems to think that losing by 1 is ok. It's not. We had an opportunity and we squandered it. We hoped that the regular P/P would get us 1 during the first penalty. The same P/P that accomplished zippo all night and has been in a bit of a slump lately. Personally I don't think we had anything to lose trying a gamble. Sometimes the ole hail mary works, sometimes it is all you got.

The rest of the game showed why we are too small, They pushed us all over the place. Their defence was better and they have more offence. We have Carey Price. He will keep you in the game but they won't let him past the red line. Flame on.

Funny how Habs outplayed them for most of game, but are too small, cant score (don't tell the 20+teams with fewer goals that bit), outcoached (who the heck hired that stupid Muller guy?), terrible PP (only 9th in league...Damn you Muller!), worse defense (cant even name a SJ d-man other than Burns/Vlasic). Nobody has told the Habs just how friggin bad they are I guess?

45 minutes ago, DON said:

Funny how Habs outplayed them for most of game, but are too small, cant score (don't tell the 20+teams with fewer goals that bit), outcoached (who the heck hired that stupid Muller guy?), terrible PP (only 9th in league...Damn you Muller!), worse defense (cant even name a SJ d-man other than Burns/Vlasic). Nobody has told the Habs just how friggin bad they are I guess?

Mr Overreaction and twisted words stikes again. No point to answering this. Those who refuse to see stumble in the dark.

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

Mr Overreaction and twisted words stikes again. No point to answering this. Those who refuse to see stumble in the dark.

I stumble in daylight as well and no, wasn't really looking for a response (other than maybe, "Yah, I was overreacting after a loss."), as simply was trying to make a point and poke fun at your post, that's all.:popcorn: