Jump to content

Free Agent Day Thread


dlbalr
 Share

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Price isnt any of those things.  You even got the age wrong

 

 

Typo, 31...does anybody outside of Montreat believe he's the "greatest goalie in the world?"

 

Murray - 2 cups 

Bob - 2 Vezinas 

Lundqvist - Won a head to head series; fans also believe he's the best in the world, and have been telling anybody that will listen for years.

Rask - Has a Vezina, worse head to head record.

 

I would say Price is in a group of four or five elite goalies. As for injuries, he missed an entire year, the end of two playoffs, can't play back to backs or two in three nights. 

 

Greg Wyshynski makes a good comparison to Lundqvist and his idiotic deal: 

 

"All of this is true. And if Carey Price were 27 instead of 31 when this contract starts, perhaps it’s easier to swallow. But he’s going to be the same age that Lundqvist was when he starter his seven-year extension with the Rangers.

Three years into it, Lundqvist posted his most ordinary season in the NHL with a .910 save percentage, failing to garner a single vote for the Vezina for the first time in his career. There was less talk about Lundqvist as a dominant goalie than there was about trying to convince him to accept a trade in the near future."

 

All in all, these goalies and their monster deals are like trophy wifes-simply not worth the trouble, and a nice, normal wife will be less of a headache at half the price. Frankly, with this deal and the Oshie deal, it's hard not to think there's another round of buyouts coming with the CBA.

 

To be a complete cynic, GarbageBin said “We’re going to make sure he finishes as a Montreal Canadien and to me that’s a big thing.” Why? He hasn't won a god damned thing besides a second round series against the Bruins. Who cares? This group of Habs isn't going down in the books, Price included.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

The only thing Price hasnt won is a Stanley Cup yet...

i dont even think he's hit his prime! although, 10.5 is alot of money

 

I'd say he needs a couple of serious cup runs like lundquist had.  Price only had one series where we went deep and he got hurt in that series. 

 

The team in front of him hasn't been cup caliber, but a truly elite goalie should at least get an average team deep a few more times.  I guess growing up with Dryden, Roy and even seeing Penny harness lightening in a bottle has raised my expectations.   But even Kiprusoff took a much weaker flames team to game 7 of the finals.  You sinners luck along the way and hopefully Price is up to the task - because MB hasn't really put a team capable of going deep unless Price carries them there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

 

Typo, 31...does anybody outside of Montreat believe he's the "greatest goalie in the world?"

 

Murray - 2 cups 

Bob - 2 Vezinas 

Lundqvist - Won a head to head series; fans also believe he's the best in the world, and have been telling anybody that will listen for years.

Rask - Has a Vezina, worse head to head record.

 

I would say Price is in a group of four or five elite goalies. As for injuries, he missed an entire year, the end of two playoffs, can't play back to backs or two in three nights. 

 

Greg Wyshynski makes a good comparison to Lundqvist and his idiotic deal: 

 

"All of this is true. And if Carey Price were 27 instead of 31 when this contract starts, perhaps it’s easier to swallow. But he’s going to be the same age that Lundqvist was when he starter his seven-year extension with the Rangers.

Three years into it, Lundqvist posted his most ordinary season in the NHL with a .910 save percentage, failing to garner a single vote for the Vezina for the first time in his career. There was less talk about Lundqvist as a dominant goalie than there was about trying to convince him to accept a trade in the near future."

 

All in all, these goalies and their monster deals are like trophy wifes-simply not worth the trouble, and a nice, normal wife will be less of a headache at half the price. Frankly, with this deal and the Oshie deal, it's hard not to think there's another round of buyouts coming with the CBA.

 

To be a complete cynic, GarbageBin said “We’re going to make sure he finishes as a Montreal Canadien and to me that’s a big thing.” Why? He hasn't won a god damned thing besides a second round series against the Bruins. Who cares? This group of Habs isn't going down in the books, Price included.

 

I agree.  MB should've explored trading Price for Tavares and then signed him to 8 years / 84 million.

 

Then call up Lindgren and have him be the starter for MTL, or Montoya, or maybe MB should've signed Miller, Mason, Elliott or Pavelic?

 

You know what, all this could've been avoided if Gainey had just drafted Kopitar instead of Price like he was supposed to back in '05.

 

Having Carey Price sucks.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think it's a move that can really be argued. Whichever team had Price in this league, they would have signed him to the same deal and I'm not convinced by any means that it's a bad thing. I think he still has his best year ever ahead of him, and he was pretty stellar in the regular seasons a few years back.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don't think it's a move that can really be argued. Whichever team had Price in this league, they would have signed him to the same deal and I'm not convinced by any means that it's a bad thing. I think he still has his best year ever ahead of him, and he was pretty stellar in the regular seasons a few years back.

Agreed. Either sign or trade.  Having said that if Price saw that MB was spending money on better players, he may have been more open to signing for a discount.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agreed. Either sign or trade.  Having said that if Price saw that MB was spending money on better players, he may have been more open to signing for a discount.

 

Nah Price was looking for Hanks contract and he got it.

 

Deservedly so

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scott462 said:

 

Nah Price was looking for Hanks contract and he got it.

 

Deservedly so

And how is lundquist's contract turning out half way through it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

And how is lundquist's contract turning out half way through it?

 

He is still one of the best goalies in the game. I don't think it's hurting New York too badly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Scott462 said:

 

He is still one of the best goalies in the game. I don't think it's hurting New York too badly.

Read through some of the Rangers columnists.  Lot written this past year on the decline of lundquist- even after this years playoffs when he beat us

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

Read through some of the Rangers columnists.  Lot written this past year on the decline of lundquist- even after this years playoffs when he beat us

 

I'm sure they have and I guess that's to be expected. Hank is getting up their in age but again I don't think it's hurting New York. They have had a lot of success the last couple of years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Stogey24
9 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Apparently Radulov started following the Flyers on twitter today..

Don't say that shit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JGC21 said:

According to http://www.danslescoulisses.com/fr/radulov-exigerait-4-ans/, MTL has offered Radu a 4-year/$6.5M AAV contract.  He hasn't turned it down, he had to fly home to Russia to deal with 'personal issues' yesterday.   I say Radu signs it.

I for one would be quite happy with that deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

 

Word is Radulov has been following philly for a long time now. It is an old following.

 

Word is that the Flyers and Stars have offered Radu more money ($7M+ AAV) but MTL is the only team that has offered the most term (4 years).  Radu needs to decide soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

We need him.

 

His two way game is super underrated too 

 

Looks like DAL caved and gave him his 5-year term he was seeking.  No way MTL was doing that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The loss of Radulov is REALLY disappointing. As it stands right now, this team has LESS offence than last season, due to the loss of Markov. Once he re-ups, which I now expect, we'll have - as usual under MB - made lateral moves, at the expense of losing Sergachev. Calice, what a f**ked up outcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The loss of Radulov is REALLY disappointing. As it stands right now, this team has LESS offence than last season, due to the loss of Markov. Once he re-ups, which I now expect, we'll have - as usual under MB - made lateral moves, at the expense of losing Sergachev. Calice, what a f**ked up outcome.

 

I can't even pretend to be excited about next season at this point.  It will be more of the same: a pop-gun offense that depends on Price to allow one goal or less to win on most nights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...