Oct. 26, Kings vs Canadiens, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Damn that Kempe! The kid has 4 of his 6g vs Habs and 2a...while playing 3rd line minutes.

0 for 5 on the PP was a killer, PP looked good again with 11 shots but...

Weber-Mete -7 between the two, Ugg!

7 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

No team in existence has been better built to make the opposing goalie look great. Every team will need an asterisk beside their stats: played x games against Montreal.

That's the story over and over, isn't it? 'Good effort, lots of shots, no results.' In a a sense this goes back all the way to the 2015 playoffs against TB, when a better team than this one still managed to make Ben Bishop look like Tretiak. At some point this stops being an aberration and becomes better understood as a symptom: a symptom of a team with no finish and, these days, dubious defence. Price has been bad, but no team ever won a game by scoring zero goals.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Booo

Sorry man, I want to stay positive but if this team doesn't turn it around immediately which even then it might be too late. The team should seriously consider tanking for Dahlin who has insane potential with some comparing him to Erik Karlsson.

How do you tank this team?

When Buffalo tanked they traded every vet of value, and every goalie who could stop a puck. 

When the Leafs tanked they did the same, had no goalie, and put Garrett Sparks in for 20 games. 

How do you tank the Habs.  Do you tell Price to fake an injury and go home (that's not happening)... Do you trade Shea Weber?  In-season no less? Do you give up on Jonathan Drouin now? How do you tank this team?

Its all nice to talk about tanking.  But that doesn't mean its possible. 

Tanking a team starts in the off-season, not in October... and it takes the right set of circumstances.  it's not happening with this club. 

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

When Buffalo tanked they traded every vet of value, and every goalie who could stop a puck. 

When the Leafs tanked they did the same, had no goalie, and put Garrett Sparks in for 20 games. 

How do you tank the Habs.  Do you tell Price to fake an injury and go home (that's not happening)... Do you trade Shea Weber?  In-season no less? Do you give up on Jonathan Drouin now? How do you tank this team?

Tanking a team starts in the off-season, not in October... and it takes the right set of circumstances.  it's not happening with this club. 

I don't believe in tanking anyway. With the lottery system, you can just as easily move down as up. Ask the Canucks.

Nashville shows that you don't need to tank in order to contend. What you need is excellent drafting and development and a GM who makes some shrewd moves. In other words, you need the opposite of Bergevin.

Believe me it's the last thing I want. I still want the Habs to rebound but with the way things are going this year they may very well end up in the basement regardless. In which case hopefully we can pick up a nice draft pick.

32 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They're doing a pretty damn good job of tanking so far, even though it's not intentional.  Price need not fake an injury and go home...he's been so bad most nights that continuing to play in his current state will ensure many more losses.  Max's inability to hit the broad side of a barn with his shot, coupled with Galchenyuk's languishing on the 4th line and the lack of talent to support Drouin, makes regular offensive competence unlikely from this team.  Marc Bergevin, rather than fighting to right the ship by making a deal for actual talent, is almost surely determined to only swing deals that tweak lines 3 and 4.  They're right on track to get a lofty pick in the 1st round.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

They are so mentally fragile that a bad bounce ruins the rest of their game. Just let this team self-destruct from within if you want to tank. Don't change a thing. 

Yes, seems they have the right recipe as we speak. 18g in 10games...or to make look real pretty, on pace for 148goals.

11-12 28th place

15-16 22nd place

17-18 anywhere in bottom 3 or 4 would give them a good shot. I don't think they can be as bad as Buffalo or Arizona over 82 games.

Biggest question is, would Molson eat a contract that runs till 2021-2022 season?

4 hours ago, sbhatt said:

They're doing a pretty damn good job of tanking so far, even though it's not intentional.  Price need not fake an injury and go home...he's been so bad most nights that continuing to play in his current state will ensure many more losses.  Max's inability to hit the broad side of a barn with his shot, coupled with Galchenyuk's languishing on the 4th line and the lack of talent to support Drouin, makes regular offensive competence unlikely from this team.  Marc Bergevin, rather than fighting to right the ship by making a deal for actual talent, is almost surely determined to only swing deals that tweak lines 3 and 4.  They're right on track to get a lofty pick in the 1st round.

So you expect this to continue for 82 games?

Did you think the habs would go undefeated after 10 games last year?

Do you expect vegas to win the cup?

4 hours ago, Scott462 said:

Believe me it's the last thing I want. I still want the Habs to rebound but with the way things are going this year they may very well end up in the basement regardless. In which case hopefully we can pick up a nice draft pick.

We all want a silver lining of a good pick if we dont make the playoffs... my question was how do you do it.

Just keep doing what they are doing. 

They'll get 60-70 pts, 

Have no clue how the lottery works these days but should get a high pick. 

Eject the vets at the trade deadline to get more picks. 

My guess is that if they keep doing what they are doing, the wins will come. Sticks will get hot. Price will make that early key save and they will start winning. This team is not as inept at scoring as the scoreboard has shown. I have seen them playing a lot of great hockey. Making adjustments in game and dominating large chunks of play. Just with no results. And the other team seems to score in every scoring chance. 

• Upvote 2

Pre Price extension I was fine tanking if he didn't stay. 

Post Price extension... Tanking is difficult. He isn't going to be bad forever. The team could start unloading now and Carey could turn it on and win games by himself. 

I just want the team to be bad enough to see management cleared out and Molson to realize he needs a real hockey person in the ops position. 

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Pre Price extension I was fine tanking if he didn't stay. 

Post Price extension... Tanking is difficult. He isn't going to be bad forever. The team could start unloading now and Carey could turn it on and win games by himself. 

I just want the team to be bad enough to see management cleared out and Molson to realize he needs a real hockey person in the ops position. 

There was a point last season where I wanted Therrien gone so bad, I was almost happy when we lost.... I'm at that point now because I know each loss is one step closer to Bergevin getting released and a legit team being built. 

The writing is on the wall for a rebuild. 

The player mutiny last year didn't help, they got change for sake of change, but Price then gets outplayed by Lundqvist and starts this season with back-up-like play and captain has done basically nothing since coaching change.

P.S. Meanwhile Mikey is sitting on Florida beach relaxing with a drink and a smoke, while listening to some good ol Gino Vannelli tunes.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, DON said:

The player mutiny last year didn't help, they got change for sake of change, but Price then gets outplayed by Lundqvist and starts this season with back-up-like play and captain has done basically nothing since coaching change.

P.S. Meanwhile Mikey is sitting on Florida beach relaxing with a drink and a smoke, while listening to some good ol Gino Vannelli tunes.

Ya, there's a reason he's on a beach and not a bench 

6 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Until you don't win a Stanley Cup because you tanked, I don't care how you do it. I don't care if you cheat. Just win the damn cup. 

Is that you Ricky Bobby; if you aint 1st...your last!

8 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Until you don't win a Stanley Cup because you tanked, I don't care how you do it. I don't care if you cheat. Just win the damn cup. 

The problem is that tanking is no guarantee at all of winning a Cup. It increases your odds of being in the draft lottery but is nothing like a guarantee. Once in a while you get a true franchise player, but quite often you don't. EDM (unintentionally) tanked for decade before finally getting one.

I also think that when people talk as though "tanking = Cup" they under-estimate the number of years necessary. Chicago was crap for years and years and years in order to assemble their current core. Do we really want the Habs to suck,  not just for one season, but for a series of seasons?

For that matter, the Habs spent four or five years in the gutter under Houle. All we really had to show for that was Carey Price. A great piece, but he hasn't come within sniffing distance of the Stanley Cup. So much for that 'tank job.'

There is no substitute for superior drafting and development. With them, you don't need to tank.

59 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The problem is that tanking is no guarantee at all of winning a Cup. It increases your odds of being in the draft lottery but is nothing like a guarantee. Once in a while you get a true franchise player, but quite often you don't. EDM (unintentionally) tanked for decade before finally getting one.

I also think that when people talk as though "tanking = Cup" they under-estimate the number of years necessary. Chicago was crap for years and years and years in order to assemble their current core. Do we really want the Habs to suck,  not just for one season, but for a series of seasons?

For that matter, the Habs spent four or five years in the gutter under Houle. All we really had to show for that was Carey Price. A great piece, but he hasn't come within sniffing distance of the Stanley Cup. So much for that 'tank job.'

There is no substitute for superior drafting and development. With them, you don't need to tank.

I don't believe tanking equals a cup. 

I believe tanking equals a reset on the franchise. Starting from scratch. New management, new personnel, new talent. A few years of flushing the old system out and starting fresh. 

That's what I want more than draft picks. I want a new perspective. And we won't get it if we just replace Bergevin with Carriere or Dudley. And we don't have a deep pool of young talent that's going to replace the 30 year olds currently on the club, thus ensuring mediocrity in 3-5 years. So if we don't tank now, we will be tanking a few years from now. Which is fine. 

But don't kid yourself. The Habs have never truly been in the gutter. They made the playoffs in 96, 97, and 98. No top 5 pick until Price in 05. They made the playoffs in 02 and 04. Montreal continues to either be a cup pretender or a middling 6th/7th/8th team because they don't go through a full rebuild and continue to overhype the kids they gather on high picks. Montreal has drafted exactly one elite player outside of the first round in Subban. That's it. The past 10 years have been proof that's not enough.

I want the best chance at a cup. The current system of shuffling decks isn't doing it. Erase and start over. 

Most (with the exception of Pacioretty) of the top talent on forward is under 25.... Drouin, Danault, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Hudon, etc...

Carey Price is signed for 9 years including this year. 

this team is not tanking anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Most (with the exception of Pacioretty) of the top talent on forward is under 25.... Drouin, Danault, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Hudon, etc...

Carey Price is signed for 9 years including this year. 

this team is not tanking anytime soon. 

2012-13: Vancouver has Luongo long term, and Schneider

2013-14: Both goalies gone

2014-15: Kesler gone

2015 the team still wasn't commiting to a rebuild when it was obvious it needed to. 

Vancouver is my fear for the future of the Habs.